Cash - On the way out.

john luke

On 3/7/2019 at 2:10 AM, Painter said:

I've got a load I can swap with you for the paper variety if you like...

15519244657892392279247870181496.thumb.jpg.9f526019f2643c33816be4cc5433f795.jpg

I'm keeping the 10s, but will throw in the batteries. They're flat.

I would use up the 10's daily on the baht bus and the bits every day to buy water in the 7-11 at 7b a time.

• 3 weeks later...

I am purely a cash guy .. except paying people that work for me .... then I deposit cash into an account and pay them ...

When I get checks .. I cash them .. stash the cash in many places ...

I use cash for everything I buy ... ( houses, cars, boats, everything )  I keep some baht in all of my debit card accounts .. but, I rarely use them

I like prepaid debit cards .. you throw some baht on the card and throw away when the balance is zero ..

Seems like cash is still "king" when you want to get a deal from someone else ( house .. car .. etc. )

• Like 1

I knew a top record producer that regularly got paid by cheque for work he had done on many hit records. 

I went to his place in London one day and there were over a dozen cheques on his mantle piece all for well over £100K and some of them were over 2 years old!

I asked him why he hadn’t put them into the bank and his reply was, “when I need to get cash out, I’ll put them in”. 

Mind you, he was regularly shoving a few £K up his nose every month and didn’t seem bothered. 

I’m of the same opinion as you, cash is king, at least for now. 

I've earned several free flights on my CC points over the years. Have 2 or 3 trips worth of points on the books now. Cash doesn't give me that, although when in LOS I use cash for daily type exchanges. Pain in the ass though dealing with that change at the 7/11 and  you have your hands full with someone breathing down your neck.

• Like 1

Some years ago during a trip to the US, I bought some clothes in a JC Penny store. At the checkout, the girl asked for my card. I didn't have one so she was trying to get me to sign up for one. I told her that a J Penny card wouldn't do me any good in Thailand and that I wanted to pay cash. She then asked me if "Taiwan" didn't have JC Penny stores.The cashier then got a funny look on her face and finally told me she didn't know how to accept cash. She had to go get the manager. Many US people have never heard of Thailand and always ask about Taiwan. Apparently in this day and age they no longer teach geography in schools.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gary said:

. She had to go get the manager. Many US people have never heard of Thailand and always ask about Taiwan. Apparently in this day and age they no longer teach geography in schools.

Much like many Thai's are ignorant of the fact there is a world outside of Thailand !!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, Gary said:

Apparently in this day and age they no longer teach geography in schools.

And many other things ... especially now ( in some schools ) you can grade your own work .. what a joke!

I am not a teacher ( I am not the type ) .. but, it amazes me what schools have turned into .... just fucking amazes me !

7 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

And many other things ... especially now ( in some schools ) you can grade your own work .. what a joke!

I am not a teacher ( I am not the type ) .. but, it amazes me what schools have turned into .... just fucking amazes me !

Universities are even worse. The no fail courses are a joke for sure. When you have semi literate graduates you know there are problems. What the hell is liberal arts and what good will that do them in the job market. Looks to me like training to be a politician or a community organizer.

10 minutes ago, Gary said:

Universities are even worse. The no fail courses are a joke for sure. When you have semi literate graduates you know there are problems. What the hell is liberal arts and what good will that do them in the job market. Looks to me like training to be a politician or a community organizer.

Corruption written all over it.  Happens everywhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47709546

Where I live in Middlesex I can pay debit card for most things including lottery tickets and fish and chips.  I was recently in Northampton and the lottery shop vendors and fish and chip shops would only take cash.

Not sure if that was a way of protecting themselves from fraud but not taking debit cards will create an issue for many if that experience isn't isolated to Northampton.

13 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Just got 42.27. Will keep an eye on it over night and cancel if it rises but quite happy to be locked in at that, well happy given recent rates.

Down below 42 this morning, I'll take the 42.27

When you next over?

I'm back this weekend. 

17 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Just got 42.27. Will keep an eye on it over night and cancel if it rises but quite happy to be locked in at that, well happy given recent rates.

Down below 42 this morning, I'll take the 42.27

Yep down half a baht from yesterday.

• 3 months later...

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-why-we-shouldnt-rush-to-become-a-cashless-society-11770606

An interesting article.  Cash withdrawals at ATM machines are on the decline.

Before this current trip to Thailand I had a clear out of coins placed in a tin over a significant period; they are all banked now.

I have set myself a challenge of going cashless when I return home.  The only times I should need cash are if I visit either the local market or the larger market in the centre of Leeds and pay my window cleaners.

i will see how it goes.

Well, sorry but f*ck that !

Besides the fact that I hate waiting at the check out behind a guy that pays 80,000 IDR (5 euro) with a credit card , a cashless society is very risky. Plenty subjects on it on Internet.

Now, using an electronic wallet, like the Octopuss card in HKG for small purchases at 7/11, pay the MTR, etc ...yes very convenient and fast.  But it should never become the "default" system.

There are enough examples of the risks of a cashless society. Of course government and banks are in favour of it, as it allows them to create even more illimated quantities of virtual money, and saves them the hassle and cost of printing notes or making coins, and maintaining a system to manage the monetary mass in circulation, maintaining ATM, bank counters and tellers etc...

Sorry JL, but people should fight this trend instead of favoring it. 

Personally in France I  pay everything under 40 or 50 euro in cash. 

Here in Indo everything is cash, even my yearly rent. I only use my CC for online purchases. Anytime I leave the house I have minimum 2 Million (130 euro) in the pocket . 

TV, fridge, furniture, supermarket...all cash. Anyway , everybody here prefers cash.  The only ones using their CC are the tourists...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see if there is no cash there will be a record of each and every purchase you make your entire life.....If this fact does not concern some one they had better check to see if they even have a pulse...

The implications are staggering....

Maybe the new social czars will decide you have been drinking to much beer so for the next year your card only can buy one beer a day any where in the world   as punishment....

Need I go on.... 

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, fforest said:

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see if there is no cash there will be a record of each and every purchase you make your entire life.....If this fact does not concern some one they had better check to see if they even have a pulse...

Why would it concern me ?