Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

On 1/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, john luke said:

Mist in the air, absolutely no wind. Sunshine there but very diffused. An almost mystical atmosphere.

0B0A0285.jpg

0B0A0289.jpg

0B0A0293.jpg

0B0A0294.jpg

0B0A0322-Pano.jpg

0B0A0319.jpg

0B0A0320.jpg

0B0A0322.jpg

0B0A0323.jpg

Question: Do you agree with JL that this is "mist in the air" or think, as I do, that it is pollution?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

About half of inspected vehicles are polluters

Officials ordered 234,176 commercial vehicles - lorries, trailer trucks, buses and pickups - to pull over for exhaust fume checks last year, and 114,888 of them, or 49%, were over the limit, director-general Atthapol Charoenchansa said in a statement issued on Monday.

Private cars, motorcycles and other vehicles registered for private use fared little better, with 48% of 123,640 vehicles inspected by the department found to be polluting the streets.
Violators face fines and the vehicles can be ordered off the road until the engine is brought up to standard. 

^^^ Too bad the article doesn't state how many were ordered off the road. Given this has been an ongoing problem my guess is the number approaches nil.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

About half of inspected vehicles are polluters

Officials ordered 234,176 commercial vehicles - lorries, trailer trucks, buses and pickups - to pull over for exhaust fume checks last year, and 114,888 of them, or 49%, were over the limit, director-general Atthapol Charoenchansa said in a statement issued on Monday.

Private cars, motorcycles and other vehicles registered for private use fared little better, with 48% of 123,640 vehicles inspected by the department found to be polluting the streets.
Violators face fines and the vehicles can be ordered off the road until the engine is brought up to standard. 

^^^ Too bad the article doesn't state how many were ordered off the road. Given this has been an ongoing problem my guess is the number approaches nil.

Here in North Carolina you can't even get your license plates renewed without passing exhaust inspection. Mandatory.

44 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Here in North Carolina you can't even get your license plates renewed without passing exhaust inspection. Mandatory.

UK is similar with emissions tests as part of the annual MOT test certificate for cars over three years old.  

For a number of reasons there are a lot of old motor vehicles on the roads in Thailand which aggravates the situation.

3 hours ago, fforest said:

Pattayas air pollution has not been to bad this year so far.......Last year the pollution was MUCH MUCH worse...

Agree, not as bad, but hold your breath as we still have another 6 to 8 weeks of weather patterns that bring the pollution to the shores of Pattaya.

Couple of snaps of the air quality from my ride this morning around 11.

Looking south on Sukhumvit towards Pattaya Tai.
P1180005.jpg

View looking towards Jomtien from the Wat at the top of Khao Talo and Khao Noi.
P1180011.jpg

View of central Pattaya.
P1180014.jpg

I then teleported to the other side of the building on the right side of the above pic.
P1180019.jpg

Air quality has improved since 11.
Screen Shot 01-18-22 at 12.11 PM.jpg

source: https://www.iqair.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya

• Great Info 3

40 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Nasty....

Reminds me of the days long ago when living in Chicago. Every day a fine dust that settled on the cars parked on the street. I gave up on washing my car, it was a never ending battle.

Much of from the area steel mills, and of course heavy traffic congestion.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2249407/fine-dust-blankets-bangkok

And speaking of fine dust...

Fine dust blankets Bangkok

Much of Bangkok and nearby provinces were blanketed in smog on Tuesday morning, with PM2.5 dust exceeding safe levels in 41 areas, the Pollutionn Control Department (PCD) reported.

The PCD said hazardous particulate levels in the air in Greater Bangkok at 10am ranged between 28-72 microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m3), with the air monitoring results in 41 areas exceeding the safety standard of 50 µg/m3.

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Agree, not as bad, but hold your breath as we still have another 6 to 8 weeks of weather patterns that bring the pollution to the shores of Pattaya.

P1180005.jpg

P1180011.jpg

View of central Pattaya.
P1180014.jpg

I then teleported to the other side of the building on the right side of the above pic.
P1180019.jpg

I would go so far as to say the air pollution this year is only 10-20% as bad as last year so far.....

39 minutes ago, fforest said:

I would go so far as to say the air pollution this year is only 10-20% as bad as last year so far.....

I couldn't find a site that provides a bar chart comparison yr to yr, but looking at the summary data below I don't see the data supporting only 10-20% as bad as the previous year.

We're still too early into the high pollution season to really say how this season stacks up against prior years.

image.png

source: https://aqicn.org/map/chon-buri/#@g/12.9871/101.0344/9z

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I couldn't find a site that provides a bar chart comparison yr to yr, but looking at the summary data below I don't see the data supporting only 10-20% as bad as the previous year.

We're still too early into the high pollution season to really say how this season stacks up against prior years.

image.png

source: https://aqicn.org/map/chon-buri/#@g/12.9871/101.0344/9z

The scientific data I am using is what my eyes see from my 12th floor condo looking towards Pattaya's hills......And so far this year not to bad...I posted many times last year how filthy and polluted the air looked from this condo...

1 hour ago, fforest said:

The scientific data I am using is what my eyes see from my 12th floor condo looking towards Pattaya's hills......And so far this year not to bad...I posted many times last year how filthy and polluted the air looked from this condo...

That's called subjective measurement. Sorry, couldn't resist. :default_cheers:

On 1/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, forcebwithu said:

P1180005.jpg

P1180011.jpg

View of central Pattaya.
P1180014.jpg

P1180019.jpg

A big improvement in the air quality this morning after a front moved through that kicked off an intense storm that dumped a lot of rain for about 45 minutes in the wee hours of the morning. Enough rain fell in those 45 minutes to fill my empty, 1000L rain collection tank.

P1210009.jpg

P1210016.jpg

Screen Shot 01-21-22 at 01.37 PM.jpg

• 1 month later...

Most of this winter the pollution has been very very low in Pattaya......Last winter holy hell it was bad...

Which only proves all this burning field stuff is nonsense....Pattaya is nowhere near burning sugarcane fields........The real reason is more like HAARP....

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, fforest said:

Which only proves all this burning field stuff is nonsense....Pattaya is nowhere near burning sugarcane fields........The real reason is more like HAARP....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program

HAARP is a target of conspiracy theorists, who claim that it is capable of "weaponizing" weather. Commentators and scientists say that advocates of this theory are uninformed, as claims made fall well outside the abilities of the facility, if not the scope of natural science

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Most of this winter the pollution has been very very low in Pattaya......Last winter holy hell it was bad...

Good to see you adding humor to this thread. :default_cheers: