Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

Unless they say they're washable, they ain't.

Can you clean a HEPA filter?

If you see visible buildup of dust or particles on a HEPA filter (it may look gray or dirty) or
observe reduced airflow through your portable air purifier, you may assume that’s an indication
the HEPA filter needs cleaning. However, experts say HEPA filters should always be replaced
rather than cleaned.

You cannot clean a HEPA filter by using something like a vacuum because the particles are
trapped not only on the surface of the filter, but also deep inside the media,” Bloemer says. Don’t
even think about running it under your sink, either—liquids like water and soap will destroy the
filter media, he adds.

When you’re seeing buildup on a HEPA filter, that’s all the captured particles, which can range
from particles generated from combustion (think car exhaust, gas stoves, and candles) to mold
spores and animal dander, says Ted Myatt, ScD, senior scientist at Environmental Health &
Engineering. These particles can be generated indoors or outdoors and migrated through open
windows, wall joints, or cracks. It may sound counterintuitive, but on one level, a HEPA filter
may work better when it has a thin, caked-on layer of collected particles—but at some point, air
will have a hard time getting through the filter, Myatt says, which means the filter needs to be
replaced.

The one exception to replacing a HEPA filter when it’s dirty is if you have an air system that has
a prefilter in front of the HEPA filter, Negron says. This prefilter will capture some of the larger
dust and particles, and some of these prefilters are washable to enable you to remove the dust
and debris they collect—note that this is not the actual HEPA filter, though. Again, experts agree
that HEPA filters should always be replaced when dirty, not cleaned.

https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/hepa-air-filter-cleaning

• Great Info 2

Using a vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter also helps to keep the dust away and whatever is there with it.

If your kitchen is open plan, switch off the air purifier before frying a steak or similar, otherwise the indication will go up to 400 or so. Open the windows and air/ventilate the room, then switch it back on. Otherwise I imagine the filters won't last long.

Edited by CampariO
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Unless they say they're washable, they ain't.

Can you clean a HEPA filter?

If you see visible buildup of dust or particles on a HEPA filter (it may look gray or dirty) or
observe reduced airflow through your portable air purifier, you may assume that’s an indication
the HEPA filter needs cleaning. However, experts say HEPA filters should always be replaced
rather than cleaned.

You cannot clean a HEPA filter by using something like a vacuum because the particles are
trapped not only on the surface of the filter, but also deep inside the media,” Bloemer says. Don’t
even think about running it under your sink, either—liquids like water and soap will destroy the
filter media, he adds.

When you’re seeing buildup on a HEPA filter, that’s all the captured particles, which can range
from particles generated from combustion (think car exhaust, gas stoves, and candles) to mold
spores and animal dander, says Ted Myatt, ScD, senior scientist at Environmental Health &
Engineering. These particles can be generated indoors or outdoors and migrated through open
windows, wall joints, or cracks. It may sound counterintuitive, but on one level, a HEPA filter
may work better when it has a thin, caked-on layer of collected particles—but at some point, air
will have a hard time getting through the filter, Myatt says, which means the filter needs to be
replaced.

The one exception to replacing a HEPA filter when it’s dirty is if you have an air system that has
a prefilter in front of the HEPA filter, Negron says. This prefilter will capture some of the larger
dust and particles, and some of these prefilters are washable to enable you to remove the dust
and debris they collect—note that this is not the actual HEPA filter, though. Again, experts agree
that HEPA filters should always be replaced when dirty, not cleaned.

https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/hepa-air-filter-cleaning

I said a light (as in light) wash with water and no scrubbing....Which is what is recommended for a HEPA cleaning......

Which works fine between yearly replacements......

I already looked into this and many manufactures say exactly this....

I have done this with no problem...

Edited by fforest

1 hour ago, CampariO said:

Using a vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter also helps to keep the dust away and whatever is there with it.

If your kitchen is open plan, switch off the air purifier before frying a steak or similar, otherwise the indication will go up to 400 or so. Open the windows and air/ventilate the room, then switch it back on. Otherwise I imagine the filters won't last long.

its also a good idea to turn the ac off.  the only unit in my house that clogs is the one in the kitchen, and we have two extracter fans.  they just grease up.  quite a job to degrease too.

as to the hepa filters, unless II am mistaken, part of the filter is actually sticky, designed to catch and grip dirt.  so washing wouldnt be a good idea as the glue would wash off too.  i am guessing, like a car air filter, you could vacuum or bang against a wall between changes tho

2 hours ago, CampariO said:

My lungs must look like a slab of bacon then....   lol

I've thought for a few years now .... if I haven't died from - a car wreak, gun shot, or foul ball, then most likely lung cancer or a virus would eventually get me. Go figure.

Of course most of us will end up six feet under due to heart failure. Fine by me.... I just hope that the hottie riding my horsy gets over the trauma reasonable soon after.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Looking out today, my subjective impression is that it is as clear a day as there has been for some time.  Photographs have not been sharpened, de-hazed or any thing.  The only post processing has been straightening each image.

0B0A2000.jpg

0B0A2001.jpg

0B0A2002.jpg

0B0A2003.jpg

0B0A2004.jpg

0B0A2005.jpg

0B0A2006.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, john luke said:

Looking out today, my subjective impression is that it is as clear a day as there has been for some time.  Photographs have not been sharpened, de-hazed or any thing.  The only post processing has been straightening each image.

0B0A2000.jpg

0B0A2001.jpg

0B0A2002.jpg

0B0A2003.jpg

0B0A2004.jpg

0B0A2005.jpg

0B0A2006.jpg

Not much smog for a long while.....Not every day is super clear but also no really bad days.....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Enjoy the clean air days while they last. About four months to go until I need to turn my air purifier on again.

image.png

https://www.iqair.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya

I run my air purifier all the time.....It collects a amazing amount of dirt....I just changed the filter, it was about 8-9 months old, and it was black black with dirt... 

Good price on Shopee 265 baht

https://shopee.co.th/🚩พร้อมส่งแผ่นกรองอากาศ-HEPA-Filter-สำหรับเครื่องกรองอากาศ-SHARP-FP-J30TA-FP-J30-FP-F30TA-FZ-F30HFE-i.141264559.6354914672

I now have 2 carbon filters on top of the Hepa filter....The carbon filters are super easy to wash....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, fforest said:

I run my air purifier all the time.....It collects a amazing amount of dirt....I just changed the filter, it was about 8-9 months old, and it was black black with dirt... 

Good price on Shopee 265 baht

https://shopee.co.th/🚩พร้อมส่งแผ่นกรองอากาศ-HEPA-Filter-สำหรับเครื่องกรองอากาศ-SHARP-FP-J30TA-FP-J30-FP-F30TA-FZ-F30HFE-i.141264559.6354914672

I now have 2 carbon filters on top of the Hepa filter....The carbon filters are super easy to wash....

we were doing the same, but right now the house is clear of smut.  when on they dont even register much so switched off but we DO have ac on 24/7 that filters too, but not as well by far

15 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So can anyone recco a good air purifier thats available online in Thailand ? i particularly would like one that can handle "smoking" as i indulge occasionally in my mancave.

Start with the linked post below for a discussion on different purifiers.

• Great Info 2

39 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So can anyone recco a good air purifier thats available online in Thailand ? i particularly would like one that can handle "smoking" as i indulge occasionally in my mancave.

Well it depends if your looking for Toyota or Mercedes quality....

I am pretty happy with my low cost Sharp air purifier here...It has been running 24/7 for well over a year with no problems and cleans the air great...

SHARP FP-J30TA-A

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1094134

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Well it depends if your looking for a Toyota or a Mercedes quality....

I am pretty happy with my low cost Sharp air purifier here...It has been running 24/7 for well over a year with no problems and cleans the air great...

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1094134

Well from my investigations it would appear that very few air purifiers can cope with tobacco smoke but one that i did identify is not available in Thailand, it was'nt cheap but did the job evidently.

• 3 months later...

Sadly the mist is actually haze and its beginning of the annually expanding smog season.

AQI checks after 10 ish see improvements, at 4.30 thru to just after sunrise it is at its worst.  this week already often well over 100 and above BKK even and rayong and prachin.

Lotus sell room filters ( HEPA)  for very little, if you have a big room, simply buy 2.  watch them work, its amazing.  plus for those of us who sleep with windows open for fresh air inthe cool season, thats not the cleverest of things to do now.  sadly

13-15 yrs ago, smog was not an issue here, skies went for miles and miles but its well fucked now and the blame is cast on everything except industry

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, john luke said:

Normally in an afternoon, when one looks away from the sun, along the coastline from the Beer Garden, there is very little if any mist.  This afternoon was an exception.  Look how clear and sharp the boat is compared to the large buildings behind.  AQI was 77, which is described as moderate.

0B0A8647-Edit.jpg

A different story today.

image.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, john luke said:

Why such a large variation over 24 hours?

Probably a change in surface and upper level wind direction. Could also be the remnants of a nighttime inversion layer. Probably the later as with the increasing day time temp the inversion layer has dissipated and AQI is dropping.

image.png

8 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Figgen lovely.

Another hazy lazy day in Pattaya.

Offers a good explanation for heavy day-time drinking....  When you're smashed you won't notice the ambiance.

And at night you can't see it anyway.

What the air quality like in CM at the moment?