Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Good news, confirmed today with the owner Prom Guesthouse will open tomorrow. She also told me since you're such a good customer in the early morning hours she's going to rename the place Dangleberries Hideout. :default_cheers:

I was there this morning having a mooch around too!

I also like the omission of an apostrophe after Dangleberries and I'm also glad it isn't going to be Dangleberries Hangout as that might attract the wrong crowd ... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I was there this morning having a mooch around too!

I also like the omission of an apostrophe after Dangleberries and I'm also glad it isn't going to be Dangleberries Hangout as that might attract the wrong crowd ... 

How careless of me. I've now edited the post to use the possessive form of your name. :default_2guns:

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

It is not terminal but the new "normal" will be very different to the one most of us enjoyed even 5 years ago. I don't see "mass tourism" as we once knew it ever returning. Well not in my lifetime anyway. 😄

Sadly, those waiting to make a long overdue return to Pattaya are going to find a very different one to that which they once remembered with so much anticipation. It remains to be seen what remains or rises again with new ownership.

Good points as always Jambo, and Pattaya has always been pretty dynamic in the way businesses and areas change. I think many aspects will of course be different, looking at the Treetown / MIT area for starters, along with hopefully more investment in the Pothole / Soi Xzyte / Bukhao.

I don't think the loss of a few "white elephants" is a bad thing (although I'm not being flippant with that comment and if it comes across that way then I apologise, it is tragic for those who've invested the money in those businesses) However,  places like Drinking Street and perhaps the Beer bar complex on Walking Street only had limited appeal to a few. I can't ever recall the Frog complex being rammed to the gunwales, even during peak season. Perhaps, arguably, some places were on borrowed time anyway.

Prior to C-19 Pattaya was struggling, you're right. We saw 37 baht to the sterling at one occasion and prices rising to the point where I once said it's cheaper for a bottle of beer in Covent Garden than it was in Skyfall on Walking Street. Those tourists who once had 3 trips or 2 trips a year sacrificed one, usually due to the high costs, but it wasn't always about the rates, there had been a marked decline in attitudes from some of the girls over the years and even an sense of entitlement creeping in.

One question I have been asking myself is about the girls. It's been a long time now, how many will want to return to working in the entertainment industry?. It is decent money, but will there be a reluctance to come back to town, find the cash to rent again, find a job, find a farang customer and start earning the money?.

Only time will tell, and that time is still a way off.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a simple equation,  where there are customers there will be girls, where there are girls there will be customers. 

Chicken or the egg doesn't really matter.

As for the time frame, who knows how long this shite will impact regular travel. 

I don't think times of old will return, but new times will evolve.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Butch said:

Good points as always Jambo, and Pattaya has always been pretty dynamic in the way businesses and areas change. I think many aspects will of course be different, looking at the Treetown / MIT area for starters, along with hopefully more investment in the Pothole / Soi Xzyte / Bukhao.

I don't think the loss of a few "white elephants" is a bad thing (although I'm not being flippant with that comment and if it comes across that way then I apologise, it is tragic for those who've invested the money in those businesses) However,  places like Drinking Street and perhaps the Beer bar complex on Walking Street only had limited appeal to a few. I can't ever recall the Frog complex being rammed to the gunwales, even during peak season. Perhaps, arguably, some places were on borrowed time anyway.

Prior to C-19 Pattaya was struggling, you're right. We saw 37 baht to the sterling at one occasion and prices rising to the point where I once said it's cheaper for a bottle of beer in Covent Garden than it was in Skyfall on Walking Street. Those tourists who once had 3 trips or 2 trips a year sacrificed one, usually due to the high costs, but it wasn't always about the rates, there had been a marked decline in attitudes from some of the girls over the years and even an sense of entitlement creeping in.

One question I have been asking myself is about the girls. It's been a long time now, how many will want to return to working in the entertainment industry?. It is decent money, but will there be a reluctance to come back to town, find the cash to rent again, find a job, find a farang customer and start earning the money?.

Only time will tell, and that time is still a way off.

Some good points, and Jambo sums things up again very well.

I think the most practical way of looking at things as they may arise in Pattaya post covid (well, whatever that may end up being).... is to look at what was trending prior to it.

Three to five years ago we were talking about the saturation of bars, the narrowing of "high season" and the one big relatively more recent changes - the influx of Indian visitors and small investors.

I would not be surprised for one minute if we see that trend re-establish itself once the clouds part and things open up fully. It may take a year or two for that trend to pick up steam again. But.... I think that influx was just beginning to pick up momentum prior to covid. In a few years we may be seeing Pattaya changing it's name to Mumthai.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Those bars used to be very busy five+ years ago ... in the WS Simon bars , every bar would have at least a dozen girls working and customers all night long .. I used to be a regular in Frog and a few of the bars near the back 

Drinking street is owned by the same people I believe and I always found that busy as well , although over the last few years the customer demographics had shifted to ME and Indian 

I think the open air bars lost popularity because they seemed to find it harder to get girls .. especially with changes in some of the GoGos having girls that didn't show anything , like Sensations , and more and more of them open in LK ....before most of the girls wouldn't have wanted to work in GoGos because they considered them to be dirty 

I could be wrong , but as an tourist , that seems to me one of the biggest changes 

Absolutely agree mate, and again some very interesting points. Drinking Street used to be where I went for my "nightcap" before heading to the Sabai Wing for bed, some great nights and early mornings in there, but as you say, the trend changed toward ME customers and I've no idea why. The girls began to leave and a few closed down, which is when I also stopped going there.

sadly a shadow of it's former self on my last trip.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, maipenrai said:

I dropped by once on my last trip and found it much the same - almost all Indian/ME customers, awful music being played too loud (surprise, surprise) and high prices for lady drinks - I didn't return. I used to go  to the WS Simon bars in the old days and they were always packed - it was fun just walking through looking like you couldn't make up your mind which one to go to, and having the girls all screaming for your attention - but they dropped off of my list as well, mostly because they jacked their prices up too much because of their location; I remember it being pretty quiet in there the last few years. 

Well said Gord, do you remotely remember the time you, me and my buddy Jim were taking a stroll down the Simon Complex 2016 perhaps?  Trying to pick a location for a "dlink" The girls were absolutely screaming out at us.....I felt like a "rock star" 😍

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Painter said:

My grumpy friend informs me there is a new gogo being built on soi buckhou, opposite soi 21, next to Pattinis. 

Candy Club.

The former Sweethearts further South on Buakhao is also changing.  Soon to be "Red Hot and Blue".

• Great Info 1

I've often wondered how many of the bars in Pattaya are intentionally "hobby bars," that have been purchased or set up to fulfill  their retired owners dream of owning a bar in Patts. More interested in the lifestyle as they perceive it rather than making a profit, with break even the goal. If so I wonder how many have been successful.

Myself and two Thai tragic friends have mused over doing this. All have bar/catering experience, one with years of experience in Thailand, not that that will prevent you going broke especially there. We all have sufficient spare funds to throw on a project and walk away if it fails which IMHO you need to be able to do in LOS.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, hugh cow said:

how many of the bars in Pattaya are intentionally "hobby bars," that have been purchased or set up to fulfill  their retired owners dream of owning a bar in Patts.

Those that were opened with the intention of MAKING money and failed quickly become hobby bars just ask the owners 

Edited by Yesitisdakid
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, hugh cow said:

We all have sufficient spare funds to throw on a project and walk away if it fails which IMHO you need to be able to do in LOS.

Well Hugh, if you have the spare dosh and feel like trying it as a hobby/pastime, i wish you the very best of luck.

I believe you have the right mindset for such a venture.

I assume you will post on here the details if it ever actually happens, if so then i for one will certainly give you some patronage mate.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...