Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

3 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well it gets a A+ for tackiness...

I sure hope tourist come back in big numbers....That place has lots seats that need filling up......

I loved Witherspoons about 10ish years ago . It was always full because of the good choice of food, beers (bottle and draught), and wine served by delicious girls.

Then it was as if somebody woke up one morning thinking "This is a success, so lets f**k it up"

By that gaudy exterior I'd say they are still in the "f**k it up" phase of the business. 

• Haha 2

The owner gave an interview to one of the vloggers on youtube a few days ago.  As well as the Mexican food you can see mentioned he's also going to be doing German food.  Unusual mix.  I think he's also take over the hotel business.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KWA said:

The owner gave an interview to one of the vloggers on youtube a few days ago.  As well as the Mexican food you can see mentioned he's also going to be doing German food.  Unusual mix.  I think he's also take over the hotel business.

They have been renting rooms out for around 5000 a month at R-Con.....If things ever get busy I guess they will be kicking the cheap charlies out........A few years back in better times they were asking around 12,000 for those rooms a month...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, KWA said:

Yep!

I hope he keeps the cashier (R-Con +Place2Bee+Viking) she must be the most beautiful 50 year old in Pattaya ......" Why I want farang husband if he not buy me house" ...I'll wait until she is 60 and reaches the wall ...

EDIT = "How long you stay on top before I do the work?"

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Haha 3

They've (witherspoons) been chucking some money at venues recently, Bukhao and Beach Rd.

That's always going to be a popular venue (in whatever guise) for the expats, cheap and decent service along with watching the action on the "chicane".

On my last trip I'd walk there from the LK for breakfast / lunch. Sit on a stool with my Tom ka gai, Egg fried rice and a bottle of Chang and waste an hour or so watching the world go by. Quite therapeutic actually.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Always nice to see a new Mexican joint. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and testing the grub.

alway

Yup. There are a few out of the way places but nothing in town to replace The Blue Parrot or Tequila Reef. 

To me there is a distinct difference between sitting in a bar that sells Mexican food and sitting in a Mexican restaurant.

Having said that, I'd like to add that after Thais took over each establishment, the tequilas in the Blue Parrot were shite and the food in Tequila Reef was shite.

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yup. There are a few out of the way places but nothing in town to replace The Blue Parrot or Tequila Reef. 

To me there is a distinct difference between sitting in a bar that sells Mexican food and sitting in a Mexican restaurant.

Having said that, I'd like to add that after Thais took over each establishment, the tequilas in the Blue Parrot were shite and the food in Tequila Reef was shite.

The Blue Parrot is now called Sues Place....If they are still around......Good food too...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

After the owner of Tequila Reef passed away and his son took it over (as I understand it) a friend of mine was involved in the building renovations. Once upstairs and out of sight, two of the the rooms were absolutely minging, and I mean minging in the true sense of the word, buckets of mouldy food, dead cats and piles of used toilet tissue / tampons and all manner of other stuff. Much like the NAAFI at Ashford but with arguably more charm.

Had I known that I'd have never eaten, or even drunk anything in there, ever.

Then again, I've actually eaten in places where the rats can be seen running in and out of the kitchen (Leopolds in Bombay for example).

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Butch said:

After the owner of Tequila Reef passed away and his son took it over (as I understand it) a friend of mine was involved in the building renovations. Once upstairs and out of sight, two of the the rooms were absolutely minging, and I mean minging in the true sense of the word, buckets of mouldy food, dead cats and piles of used toilet tissue / tampons and all manner of other stuff. Much like the NAAFI at Ashford but with arguably more charm.

Then again, I've actually eaten in places where the rats can be seen running in and out of the kitchen (Leopolds in Bombay for example).

Reminds me of the one (and only) meal I had in Ali Baba years back.

As I was waiting for my meal to be served a waiter casually walked around the dinning room with a large can of roach spray. He walked around the entire room spraying under the tables as people were eating. 

Never again.....

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

As I was waiting for my meal to be served a waiter casually walked around the dinning room with a large can of roach spray. He walked around the entire room spraying under the tables as people were eating. 

Never again.....

Yes I only ate there once, the table had ants and the plates being served had ants, I never went back.

42 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Never again.....

Same for me 20 yrs ago...never went back....Actually saw the  roaches on

the move.....lol......

2 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

Same for me 20 yrs ago...never went back....Actually saw the  roaches on

the move.....lol......

I can't seem to be able to quote the 2 previous posts but that makes four of us that think Ali Babas is shit.

I just don't understand how YT Vloggers recommend the place! I wonder if they have ever been inside and eaten there... or may be they were just repeating things that others have said and not reporting on personal experience ....no surely not!

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Had dinner at Tequila Reef once, about 12 years ago I think. Ugh.

I recall a restaurant in Chiang Mai where in the middle of dinner I saw a large rat, honestly the largest one I have ever seen casually walk across the dining area and disappear in the back. I have seen many rats in many cities in many countries and that sucker dwarfed them. lol

17 hours ago, Butch said:

They've (witherspoons) been chucking some money at venues recently, Bukhao and Beach Rd.

That's always going to be a popular venue (in whatever guise) for the expats, cheap and decent service along with watching the action on the "chicane".

On my last trip I'd walk there from the LK for breakfast / lunch. Sit on a stool with my Tom ka gai, Egg fried rice and a bottle of Chang and waste an hour or so watching the world go by. Quite therapeutic actually.

That location is being gutted and fittings being taken to the new location on the R Con curve

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

31 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

WOW, I didn't know that! I thought that it was in a prime location .... but perhaps with prime location prices!

Every time I have walked by it was as quiet as a Marcel Marceau concert....

Marcel Marceau: Life & Work - YouTube

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I seem to remember Ali Babas was about the only Indian restaurant about 2004.

It had bad reviews even then.

About 20 years ago the Indian on Beach road, soi 10 opened. It was brilliant food with excellent service but then the married Indian couple took a break around 10 years ago, Thais took over and the food became watery and tasteless. It never recovered.

• Thumbs Up 1