Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Never been to Turkey but I would like to think that "Pig Alley" was named after "Pigalle" .

About 40 years ago i was the mechanic for a transport company that done UK - Middle East transport. I done two trips myself, one to Iraq and one to Saudi Arabia. But i also had quite a few trips over the years to various places on-route to repair a truck or trailer. One such instance was to replace a clutch in an MAN truck, it had been towed from Ankara in Turkey up to the Mocamp in Istanbul, which was a regular watering hole for many international drivers, they also had a phone and telex machine there which the drivers had use of. ( This is before the days of mobile phones )

After replacing the clutch and getting cleaned up, one of the drivers there suggested a trip into town, so the minibus arrived and off we went. First stop was the Pudding Shop ( Google it ) as the drivers wanted to see if there were any females there trying to 'thumb' a lift back to Western Europe as they often used to pay for their travel in carnal currency....

So after a few beers there we proceeded  to what the drivers called Pig Alley. It is a long narrow dead end street lined both sides with  windows behind which ladies displayed what they had to offer. We walked maybe 50 / 60 mtrs and stopped off at a small restaurant/bar for more Efes, one of the chaps had already gone "AWOL". I then learnt that the better looking and younger ladies were nearer the entrance of the alley, but as one walked further down the quality declined as did the cost of their service. It was also pointed out, which then became obvious as i looked about, that 99% of the men passing by us appeared to be local Turks, Rumanian, Bulgarian and Iraqi men as they cared little about looks and more about the cost !! 

I wanted to look further down the alley just to see what was there, but all the chaps i was with advised against it as it would likely haunt me for the rest of my days !! The first part of the alley, that we had walked to get here, i only saw 2 or 3 which held any attraction for me, but when the whole alley would make the King Kong seem like a Crystal Palace my appetite was for the Efes only.

I wonder if Pig Alley is still there and if so whether it's still as dire as in those days ??? Unfortunately UK - Middle East haulage died a death many years ago, so i have nobody to ask...... 

Edited by SteveBC
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Haha 2

I walked walking street about 6.45 today.....Pin up had the only sign I saw asking for a covid test to enter......And I do agree the street looks like crap these days...

Someone wants the street to look bad, very bad....And don't blame construction...It will still look like crap when they are finished too...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, SteveBC said:

About 40 years ago i was the mechanic for a transport company that done UK - Middle East transport. I done two trips myself, one to Iraq and one to Saudi Arabia. But i also had quite a few trips over the years to various places on-route to repair a truck or trailer. One such instance was to replace a clutch in an MAN truck, it had been towed from Ankara in Turkey up to the Mocamp in Istanbul, which was a regular watering hole for many international drivers, they also had a phone and telex machine there which the drivers had use of. ( This is before the days of mobile phones )

After replacing the clutch and getting cleaned up, one of the drivers there suggested a trip into town, so the minibus arrived and off we went. First stop was the Pudding Shop ( Google it ) as the drivers wanted to see if there were any females there trying to 'thumb' a lift back to Western Europe as they often used to pay for their travel in carnal currency....

So after a few beers there we proceeded  to what the drivers called Pig Alley. It is a long narrow dead end street lined both sides with  windows behind which ladies displayed what they had to offer. We walked maybe 50 / 60 mtrs and stopped off at a small restaurant/bar for more Efes, one of the chaps had already gone "AWOL". I then learnt that the better looking and younger ladies were nearer the entrance of the alley, but as one walked further down the quality declined as did the cost of their service. It was also pointed out, which then became obvious as i looked about, that 99% of the men passing by us appeared to be local Turks, Rumanian, Bulgarian and Iraqi men as they cared little about looks and more about the cost !! 

I wanted to look further down the alley just to see what was there, but all the chaps i was with advised against it as it would likely haunt me for the rest of my days !! The first part of the alley, that we had walked to get here, i only saw 2 or 3 which held any attraction for me, but when the whole alley would make the King Kong seem like a Crystal Palace my appetite was for the Efes only.

I wonder if Pig Alley is still there and if so whether it's still as dire as in those days ??? Unfortunately UK - Middle East haulage died a death many years ago, so i have nobody to ask...... 

Wasn't Astran you worked for, was it?.

6 hours ago, fforest said:

I walked walking street about 6.45 today.....Pin up had the only sign I saw asking for a covid test to enter......And I do agree the street looks like crap these days...

Someone wants the street to look bad, very bad....And don't blame construction...It will still look like crap when they are finished too...

... And if you compare it to Pattaya Tai which was a right fucking mess last year, they are doing a pretty damn good job of cleaning it up and so far one side looks quite good ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Wasn't Astran you worked for, was it?.

I was the mechanic for M+C Transport. But the majority of the Middle East work that we done was for Astran.

We also done Middle East work for Falcongate, Orient and Essex International too.

"Short" trip work, such as Greece, Rumania, Bulgaria and Turkey was Also Essex Int' plus Anglo Greek, WST Tpt. and a couple of others.

When the Middle East work started to dry up, largely due to East European companies slashing the rates, I started up my own service/repair business called Greyhound Commercials. Many of the owner drivers that used to do Middle East became my customers and many done Russia for Kepstowe Freight.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

41 minutes ago, cartoonman said:

WHEN IS A GO-GO BAR - NOT A GO-GO BAR ?

It seems quite a few Go-Go Bars are Open - GREAT !!!!! - But - None of the Girls are in Swim Suits and None of them are Dancing !!!!!    Why call them Go-Go`s. ?

I think the current Covid instructions prohibit it.

However your comment is still valid for some establishments pre-covid.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, cartoonman said:

WHEN IS A GO-GO BAR - NOT A GO-GO BAR ?

It seems quite a few Go-Go Bars are Open - GREAT !!!!! - But - None of the Girls are in Swim Suits and None of them are Dancing !!!!!    Why call them Go-Go`s. ?

Windmill and Farenheit to be added to the Agogo's that are open but not Agogo's....lol.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, fforest said:

I always thought WS looked terrible in the day time. In full swing with the glitz and glamour the lighting is what made it look great in the dark.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5