Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

22 hours ago, cartoonman said:

I found my old Bar Hopping Bar Guide - YEAR 2014.

Who remembers the Names of all these Bars.

Did I miss any ?

I was thinking - I did these Maps for 22 Years - Hundreds of Thousands of the Maps were downloaded and Printed out by People all over the WORLD...( I met Many Guys who had my Map in their pocket - exploring the Streets )

In 22 Years - ONLY 3 BAR OWNERS took the time to THANK ME.    ( Sad old World INIT ? )

finished 2014 Go-Go Map.jpg

I certainly had a copy of your map on my laptop on my first trip in july 2014. Thank you for that, it was a great help to me back then. 

3 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I certainly had a copy of your map on my laptop on my first trip in july 2014. Thank you for that, it was a great help to me back then. 

You were more than welcome - I've enjoyed bumping into people who say the same -  It was Simple - But it worked..Thanks.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I'm not a bar owner, but I will certainly say Thankyou.PNG in big letters.

I've used your restaurant maps much more than the bar hopping maps, but both have been useful.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have a copy of the first bar map you did?  This came up in a thread on Addicts.  I found this map, but it wasn't dated.  I'm guessing it is from 2001 or 2002.

post.jpg.d7d106e456f068a936886203f43f1c94.jpg.png

Another member found this map, a photo of a printed map.  The file name is "PattayaBars2000," but it's not sure that's accurate.

PattBars2000.jpg.png

If you compare the earliest versions of the bar hopping map with the 2020 version, there are only four  go go bars which have had the same name and location for the past 18-20 years:  Tahitian Queen (Beach Road); Happy; Tim's (2nd Road) and Diamond (Soi Diamond).

However,  Diamond had been sold in 2019 to become first Sugar Baby and then Annabelle's, so the 2020 map wasn't up to date.  Happy and Tim's have both closed for good, or at least that's what I have  read.  That leaves TQ as the true survivor among Pattaya go go bars, as it's been in continuous operation not just 20 years but since 1978.

But on WS itself and in its immediate vicinity, there's NO go go bar which has managed to stay open 22 or even 20 years under the same name in the same premises.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Evil

Hey Thanks Evil,,,I've copied those Maps to check if they are close to the one`s I have..2000 is the latest one I have - so Far.  .Yea !! We all have memories of some of the really Good Bars - I remember Baby go-go 1-2-3 - run by a guy called John..Good Manager - The Boss of Baby 3 ( German Playboy ) thought he was an UNTOUCHABLE with his flash cars and boats and money...He crossed the Line and there was a HIT made out on Him...He believed it and ran away to Malaysia - John and I met up with him in Penang and he had a million stories to tell...I'm still trying to remember his name - Oh.Well !!! That was Years ago...These Old Maps will be looked at for Many Years sparking a Great time in Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

21 hours ago, Butch said:

I think you're right in your calculations regarding long standing GGB's Evil.

As for the bar map, it looks about right. Horn Bar (Soi Happy) was owned in part by the guy who owns The Sportsman in Soi 13 and was his first Pattaya Bar which he sold in 2003 iirc. It also splits Venus A GoGo and Planet Rock into 2, they merged into one in late 2000 (Planet Rock).

It's also listing "Freelancer" as number 29, and again, might be wrong but in it's first incarnation FLB was a short lived GoGo, but I thought it changed into a beer bar in 98/99 ish, however the map may have been printed up during the transition or perhaps worked on an assumption it was still a GGB, but I'm pretty sure it was not a GGB in 2000.

The old FLB forum I joined in 98 and it was still very young (drop down bulletin board style) and even back then (before Ben was on board and employed) it was being punted as an A/C Beer bar.

It also lists Freeway which was in short lived operation in 2001, I took Paul (babydolls) and Ilene there on their first trip.

I apologise if I've got muddled up on the dates, but I don't think this map is far out and 1999 / 00 seems to be the date I'd go for.

Big thanks you and Virtual case of beer to @cartoonman for drawing up these maps and making them available free of charge. It really helped me orientate myself and when in the UK I'd looked forward to the new one coming out so I could find new bars to visit.

I think it was also printed in the old "Pattaya by night" magazine that was around for a while (which I took 50 copies of to the UK and flogged on Ebay for £8 each - paid for my flights).

Brilliant !!! That made me Laugh !!! Flogging 50 Books for 8 Pound each !!!! Marvelous !!! You should come and work for me - I have Tons of Stuff to Sell ---and it paid for your Flights - Fantastic..  Glad you liked them..     I've just started a NEW RESTAURANT and BREAKFAST MAP -- It`s been quite hard as most of them have been Closed...But my list of Open Restaurants ( Not Posh ) are 60....So watch this SPACE....Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 5/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, cartoonman said:

I found my old Bar Hopping Bar Guide - YEAR 2014.

Who remembers the Names of all these Bars.

Did I miss any ?

I was thinking - I did these Maps for 22 Years - Hundreds of Thousands of the Maps were downloaded and Printed out by People all over the WORLD...( I met Many Guys who had my Map in their pocket - exploring the Streets )

In 22 Years - ONLY 3 BAR OWNERS took the time to THANK ME.    ( Sad old World INIT ? )

finished 2014 Go-Go Map.jpg

I would like to add a belated thank you for these maps.

I recall using them for research before my early trips and I printed out a copy to take with me.

Very useful when I was a newbie!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, cartoonman said:

Brilliant !!! That made me Laugh !!! Flogging 50 Books for 8 Pound each !!!! Marvelous !!! You should come and work for me - I have Tons of Stuff to Sell ---and it paid for your Flights - Fantastic..  Glad you liked them..     I've just started a NEW RESTAURANT and BREAKFAST MAP -- It`s been quite hard as most of them have been Closed...But my list of Open Restaurants ( Not Posh ) are 60....So watch this SPACE....Thanks again.

Thanks ,yep, it was back in the days when a bit of luck and a bit of dealing could get some money in, as fake football shirts were often confiscated by customs but the magazines were fine 🙂 We were always looking for an angle to raise some money for our next trip lol.

I'd be interested to know how long it takes you to make one of these maps up. It must take a fair bit of physical legwork and also research to find out which is open and which isn't. I also remember that in the Penthouse Hotel, the "bar hopping guide" pamphlet was always on top of the fridge, plus they had a few in reception.

I think the guides are as much a part of Pattaya as GGB's, baht buses and Beach Road.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, cartoonman said:
Hello Guys - I've Revamped my Old Map - There are 60 Restaurants that are OPEN for you to check out ( Nothing to Fancy ) The Green Dots shows you the Places where they are serving Breakfasts...
Sorry ...Can't get every Restaurant onto my Map - Maybe Next Time !!) Enjoy.

NEW RESTAURANT GUIDE 2022 - JPG Small Size.jpg

Have we invented time travel?

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, coxyhog said:

Have we invented time travel?

Thank You - Is that the Best you can Do ?    I do these Maps for different Sites - So I decided to test it out on you to see if you had any constructive advice on what I've done Wrong - and I got " Have we invented time Travel"...Seems all the work on the Map was O.K. Thanks.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cartoonman said:

Thank You - Is that the Best you can Do ?    I do these Maps for different Sites - So I decided to test it out on you to see if you had any constructive advice on what I've done Wrong - and I got " Have we invented time Travel"...Seems all the work on the Map was O.K. Thanks.

Great map @cartoonman, I imagine it was tough, but how did you decide who or what Restaurant to feature and what not to?.

Just a question (not criticism) - will Bars which also serve food and are listed here as as restaurants (Le Pub for example) be listed as bars on any future maps?. Sad to see the Marquee Bar on Bukhao not listed, I hope it's still open as the food is half decent and they were very reasonably priced.

I think it looks great, no complaints from me. Thanks for the upload.

1 hour ago, cartoonman said:

Just a comment about the fact that it says June 2022 & we're still in May....😂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Butch said:

Great map @cartoonman, I imagine it was tough, but how did you decide who or what Restaurant to feature and what not to?.

Just a question (not criticism) - will Bars which also serve food and are listed here as as restaurants (Le Pub for example) be listed as bars on any future maps?. Sad to see the Marquee Bar on Bukhao not listed, I hope it's still open as the food is half decent and they were very reasonably priced.

I think it looks great, no complaints from me. Thanks for the upload.

I have a List on my Wall of all the CHEAP restaurants I like in Town....I love Small decent Home Cooking - I'm not into Posh Nosh - so I start off with an Empty Map and make a mark where I put in the Restaurants that I eat at...I can't jangle all the ones I like in as I have to many in that space.....So I Walk up and down the Streets marking some of the Places that do Breakfasts ETC...I try and Spread them all around Town...I have 60 to play with and I slowly squeeze them in...You are right about LE PUB...It`s very Hidden and does Very Tasty Food - I've eaten there 3 times...and if anybody is moseying around Walking Street during the Day - there is not much to choose from - to eat - so he is Perfect.   It`s only for FUN..If people was to get on the Map - Just contact me and I'll do another one with different Restaurants on...Thanks for your reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Amon's Bar has a new location farther up Soi Pothole.
P5270004.JPG

And her old location is now Coco Bar
P5270010.JPG

The jungle is slowly reclaiming what once was Retox Beer Garden on Soi Lengkee
P5270014.JPG

There were almost no trees at all there a few years ago......Plants grow incredibly fast in Thailand...Believe it or not 200-250 years ago Thailand was heavily forested country....Pattaya would be overgrown in decade or 2 if left alone... 

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Believe it or not 200-250 years ago Thailand was heavily forested country....

Then they cut down all the teak and exotic hardwoods for big baht.

. . .

Deforestation in Thailand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_Thailand

..." The Thai Highlands in northern Thailand, the most heavily forested region of the country, were not subject to central government control and settlement until the second half of the 19th century when British timber firms, notably the Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation and the Borneo Company Limited, entered the teak trade in the late-1880s and early-1890s...

... The Royal Forest Department has been referred to as "Forest Death" by environmental activists and those living with a close relationship with the forest, as its general promotion of deforestation for logging and other agricultural ventures resulted in the large decline in forest cover..."

• Confused 1

I noticed a new bar has opened on Soi Pothole last night across from Jie Jie bar. Actually it was hard not to notice as they had the bass turned up to volume 11 which in turn had Jie Jie cranking their music volume to compete for attention.

P6010001.JPG

The new bar, forgot to note the name, occupies the space where Pom's Bar used to be. Pom's Bar was a throwback to the bars of old that suited my taste just fine.
Screen Shot 06-01-22 at 12.28 PM.JPG

All is not lost though as the convenience store next door has co-opted the sign and has taken over the mantle of a bare bones, basic bar where the primary focus is on cold, inexpensive drinks and a good view of the world going by. The downside though is having to put up with an increasingly noisy soi.
P6010009.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, cartoonman said:

O.K. Guys - Here are my Up To Date MAPS of what is Open in Pattaya  - JUNE 2022. You can download them to your Phone or Print them out for your Friends who come foe a Holiday...Cheers.

MAP 2022 MAP Soi L K MAY.jpg

MAP NEW RESTAURANT GUIDE 2022 - JPG Small Size.jpg

MAP Walking Street Map 2022- Copy.jpg

FYI: Murphy's Law and the one next to it toward Buakow will be renamed, hopefully by August.  Kevin (former manager at Celona, Boom, etc) is running them for a new owner.  They're refurbing the other one first, then Murphy's Law.  They haven't decided on the new names, yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, cartoonman said:

O.K. Guys - Here are my Up To Date MAPS of what is Open in Pattaya  - JUNE 2022. You can download them to your Phone or Print them out for your Friends who come foe a Holiday...Cheers.

MAP 2022 MAP Soi L K MAY.jpg

MAP NEW RESTAURANT GUIDE 2022 - JPG Small Size.jpg

MAP Walking Street Map 2022- Copy.jpg

My mistake, didn't look at it properly. 

Sorry

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Thumbs Up 1