What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

5 years ago today the baht was around 54, after the announcement of leaving the EU it fell through the ground & hasn’t recovered since. The Uk has now left the EU but nothing seems to be changing including the baht. SAID STATE OF AFFAIRS.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, simon said:

5 years ago today the baht was around 54, after the announcement of leaving the EU it fell through the ground & hasn’t recovered since. The Uk has now left the EU but nothing seems to be changing including the baht. SAID STATE OF AFFAIRS.

It's mostly the strength of the baht, combined with some weakness of Sterling and historically low interest rates here in the UK. The USD isn't faring too well against it either. In fact, looking at the charts there are not many currencies that have strengthened against the THB in the last 5 years. Also, don't forget there was a Coup in 2014 and there have been allegations of an artificially inflated value to the THB as well.

The Euro has retained some parity when you compare 23/6/21 with 23/6/16, but it has been a rocky road to get there.

fingers crossed that we will continue to see an improvement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 7:07 PM, Butch said:

It's mostly the strength of the baht,...

fingers crossed that we will continue to see an improvement.

As I look around, I really am at a loss to see why the Baht has remained strong, although the last week as brought some weakness to the Baht against the US Dollar. The Thai governments approach to the Corona virus problem has been to shut everything, and that continues. There is no vaccine. They have ruined lives and destroyed businesses in unmeasurable quantities for questionable benefits. I expected a mass revolt long before this.  But exchange rates and changes in them are based on relative economic changes, and the Thai government, as poor as their actions have been, has done about as well as the idiots running the US government and the Federal Reserve. Who will be the bigger/biggest fool remains to be seen. But anyone holding large quantities of US Dollars should, I think, be very worried at this moment. I am not a "gold bug" but moving into something with "real value" is/should be a high priority. If the US Dollar hits 33 Baht, I will be strongly encouraged to hold more (a lot more) Baht and a lot less Dollars. Let's hope .....

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 10:08 PM, Fat Prophet said:

As I look around, I really am at a loss to see why the Baht has remained strong, although the last week as brought some weakness to the Baht against the US Dollar. The Thai governments approach to the Corona virus problem has been to shut everything, and that continues. There is no vaccine. They have ruined lives and destroyed businesses in unmeasurable quantities for questionable benefits. I expected a mass revolt long before this.  But exchange rates and changes in them are based on relative economic changes, and the Thai government, as poor as their actions have been, has done about as well as the idiots running the US government and the Federal Reserve. Who will be the bigger/biggest fool remains to be seen. But anyone holding large quantities of US Dollars should, I think, be very worried at this moment. I am not a "gold bug" but moving into something with "real value" is/should be a high priority. If the US Dollar hits 33 Baht, I will be strongly encouraged to hold more (a lot more) Baht and a lot less Dollars. Let's hope .....

Along your same lines, was talking to wifey abut this last night. 32 Baht for $1 USA, was thinking about transferring money to our account back there. Back in Jan 2016 a week before I arrived there, got 35 Baht for $1 USA for the $100k I transferred over there. Probably not ever going to get back to that level again. Always a crap shoot with these things. 

On 7/7/2021 at 10:34 PM, Yessongs said:

Along your same lines, was talking to wifey abut this last night. 32 Baht for $1 USA, was thinking about transferring money to our account back there. Back in Jan 2016 a week before I arrived there, got 35 Baht for $1 USA for the $100k I transferred over there. Probably not ever going to get back to that level again. Always a crap shoot with these things. 

The closing of BKK yesterday should diminish the hope of "reopening" Thailand to foreign tourists on the stated schedule. And it is absolutely incomprehensible that they would "reopen" Thailand to fully vaccinated foreign tourists when the government has not been able to provide vaccines to its own citizens in meaningful numbers -- they all should be arrested and charged with negligent homicide.  Given this setback, I am expecting (hoping) that the Baht continues its slide towards 33 next week.  Weekends tend to bring a slight adjustment against a movement in either direction. Anything above 34 is, I think not realistic, but where ever it is in October/November of 2021 is likely to be the best it is going to get, as the reckless expansion of the US money supply will have a strong negative effect on the value of the US $ against the Thai Baht (and all major currencies (unless their managers follow similar actions as the US government/Fed)).  It is crap, but more, I think, than a "crap shoot".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

I remember a certain day during my vacation in late 2009/early 2010 where 4 currencies were almost equal at around 31-32.....Swiss franc, CAD, USD, AUD......

Yup, the Aussies and Canucks haven’t fared very well since then

Those were the days my friend

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Thanks for the update JL

I was reading a couple of long range forecasts suggesting that the Thai Baht to UK Pound could be 51 by December 2021. Whether that will happen or not, who knows but it is definitely heading upwards. 

What? You mean 50 by Christmas?  Where's @monkey_omelette when you need him?

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4