Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

More importantly, whilst taking those pics,  the big boss was there.

I can now reveal, drum roll please, the purpose of those black blocks....

The big boss didn't speak great English, so some of the following might be incorrect, but I did repeat and reword what he said and he agreed that we both agreed....

The current work being done with the black blocks and extension slabs of concrete  is a drainage system for "small water". It is being undertaken by "Bangkok government", who he works for/is contracted by.  The idea is that "small water" runs across the cement and into the channels formed by the black blocks. Presumably these are porous and so the water will soak away.

The channels themselves are going to have a weed proof membrane in, covered by pebbles (or, as he called them, "small rock").

He was fully aware that "big water" would still "take sand away", but that was "pattaya government" problem, and they would have to replace the sand. (At this point, I am a bit confused as he did imply that the beach replenishment works were carried out by "Bangkok government", but I cant be sure).

However, he also said that "pattaya government" are going to put a 1.8m diameter drain along various sections of beach road, parallel to the beach. What he was not aware of, or could not explain, despite various diagrams in the sand, was where these 1.8m diameter drains were going to drain to... 

He said this work will be carried out "this year". 

Glad I'm unlikely to be about whilst it's being done....

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Painter said:

More importantly, whilst taking those pics,  the big boss was there.

I can now reveal, drum roll please, the purpose of those black blocks....

The big boss didn't speak great English, so some of the following might be incorrect, but I did repeat and reword what he said and he agreed that we both agreed....

The current work being done with the black blocks and extension slabs of concrete  is a drainage system for "small water". It is being undertaken by "Bangkok government", who he works for/is contracted by.  The idea is that "small water" runs across the cement and into the channels formed by the black blocks. Presumably these are porous and so the water will soak away.

The channels themselves are going to have a weed proof membrane in, covered by pebbles (or, as he called them, "small rock").

He was fully aware that "big water" would still "take sand away", but that was "pattaya government" problem, and they would have to replace the sand. (At this point, I am a bit confused as he did imply that the beach replenishment works were carried out by "Bangkok government", but I cant be sure).

However, he also said that "pattaya government" are going to put a 1.8m diameter drain along various sections of beach road, parallel to the beach. What he was not aware of, or could not explain, despite various diagrams in the sand, was where these 1.8m diameter drains were going to drain to... 

He said this work will be carried out "this year". 

Glad I'm unlikely to be about whilst it's being done....

Thats what I tought after seeing the slab and the drain made of poreus construction.

Anyway good luck with it.  When its really raining, there is not such a thing as small water !

Dia 1,8 m drains ? Thats serious stuff and need a serious infrastructure.....

29 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

So, they are going to pour concrete onto those loose blocks of stone that are laying on loose sand. What can I say, other than TIT 🤣

No, I don't think so. The concrete is for the "extension slabs" (as Painter has called them) which are being formed at the drain-off points at the ends of the sois where the pavement has been lowered. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Bazel said:

No, I don't think so. The concrete is for the "extension slabs" (as Painter has called them) which are being formed at the drain-off points at the ends of the sois where the pavement has been lowered. 

Well, that form work certainly looks to me almost ready to accept concrete!

Have to wait to see any updates on the work. 👌

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Well, that form work certainly looks to me almost ready to accept concrete!

Have to wait to see any updates on the work. 👌

No, the idea is the water will flow over the concrete slab into the drain, and will then filter through the form (remember it is composed of a layer of gravel) into the sand.

Well thats the theory....

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

This is what Maya Bay looked like many years ago. I took a long tail boat out there one day from Phi Phi Don. I was the only one there and it was spectacular. I snapped this pic among many. 

Maya Bay.jpg

My wife’s auntie who designed our house and coffee shop, worked on the film “The Beach” designing many of the sets. 

From what she said to me years ago, was that the beach and background in the film looked nothing like the actual beach before the film crew moved in.

A lot of the beach vegetation was removed and parts of the beach were “reconfigured” to suit the storyline. 

I rememered her being angry at what had been done, to what was an almost pristine beach, in what was a protected area in a National Park. 

There was a lot about what the film studio did to the island way back in the Thai press and I think a large fine was paid by the film studio to the Thai government. 

Money talks I suppose. 🤔

• Like 2

Cementing in the pad on the north end. What's interesting to note is in @Painter's post they put the rebar on top of a layer of cement. In my pic and @john luke's pic's they're putting the rebar on top of the plastic membrane. Not sure which method is best, but you would think the project manager would use the same method on each pad.
P2230005.jpg

Using a front end mover to move cement from the truck to the pad is a lot easier than humping it by wheelbarrow.
P2230006.jpg
P2230007.jpg

How considerate, they're putting up short time tents on the beach.
P2230009.jpg

• Thanks 1

"Cementing in the pad on the north end. What's interesting to note is in @Painter's post they put the rebar on top of a layer of cement. In my pic and @john luke's pic's they're putting the rebar on top of the plastic membrane. Not sure which method is best, but you would think the project manager would use the same method on each pad."

=> The proper way is to put some stones or spacers between the membrane and the wire mesh so as to have it well "envelopped" by the concrete.

Bad way is throw it on the bottom

Lazy way is to pour the concrete and then put the wire mesh in by stomping on it with the boots. No control where it ends up.

Very popular method in this region......

• Great Info 1

4 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Ideally the steel mesh should be raised up into the centre of the concrete slab to be effective. Sometimes they pour concrete then lift the mesh up, but that’s not the correct way to do it. 

Oops, same time post.  Correct, but about zero chance they will lift it. Too heavy, too hot, .....

The version I saw involved some concrete being laid, then the mesh put on and trodden down, then more concrete poured on top. I'm guessing the mesh hadn't been constructed fully when the first lot of concrete arrived... A second load  was needed to go on top.

The next day I did see the mesh being fitted before any concrete was laid

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Proper way, and the only good one.

images.jpeg-2.jpg.38a719eaf923a80a0de8305de63f3fc5.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg.ec40d6eefffd964ef4ec7dcc55ed7b42.jpg

I would imagine that the top pic with the triple layer of mesh and re-bar is designed for heavy traffic and the lower one for mainly foot traffic. 

I’ve always erred on the side of caution when advising my FIL on any of his buildings and doubled the size of re-bar on some of his projects, after looking at the design drawings for the steel  reinforcement he’s had drawn up, especially in ring beams and vertical columns.

Ok, costs more, but better safe than sorry.

Also, the other deciding factor is the concrete specification, mainly the Water to Cement ratio, something the Thais are notorious for not sticking too.

I’ve seen lots of concrete poured in Thailand that looked like Vegetable soup  just so it’s easier to lay, but they forget/don’t care that more water means more shrinking and that means more cracks in the finished structure.

Lot’s of money to be saved/pocketed by reducing the cement content of concrete, too late to do anything about it when the structure fails. ☹️

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I would imagine that the top pic with the triple layer of mesh and re-bar is designed for heavy traffic and the lower one for mainly foot traffic. 

I’ve always erred on the side of caution when advising my FIL on any of his buildings and doubled the size of re-bar on some of his projects, after looking at the design drawings for the steel  reinforcement he’s had drawn up, especially in ring beams and vertical columns.

Ok, costs more, but better safe than sorry.

Also, the other deciding factor is the concrete specification, mainly the Water to Cement ratio, something the Thais are notorious for not sticking too.

I’ve seen lots of concrete poured in Thailand that looked like Vegetable soup  just so it’s easier to lay, but they forget/don’t care that more water means more shrinking and that means more cracks in the finished structure.

Lot’s of money to be saved/pocketed by reducing the cement content of concrete, too late to do anything about it when the structure fails. ☹️

Agreed with all the above.

Often a small, low qualified subcon will try to get away with 6mm wire mesh instead of 8 or 10, or 10mm rbar reinforcements.

Concerning the water a thing we always watched was the mixer truck driver adding generous quantities of water in the mix "to have it flow better"....  Hence the slump test at EACH truck just before pouring. A pain but the only way to be sure.

Sometimes it was good fun to see the result flowing like a soup from the test plate....Out you go my man...

Being it Thailand, VN and even in HKG you have to be carefull.

In our case it was deep foundation, so the whole building is supported by it.

• Like 2