Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

8 hours ago, Bazle said:

The large rubbish bins along Beach Road have been removed and, instead, wheely bins placed every few yards. 

It is just the two colours, so it's a reasonable guess that one is for waste to be recycled, and the other for everything else. 

Q. Which is which? 

2019-07-05 20.37.34.jpg

Hopefully they'll disinfect them once in a while. Those green bins stank like hell and you could smell them several feet away. Could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

These washout area's, why dpon't they make them as actual spillways instead of re-filling with sand everytime it rains ?

Because no one can put deckchairs, sunshades and tables on a washout area and make money I suppose. 🤔

22 hours ago, Bazle said:

It is just the two colours, so it's a reasonable guess that one is for waste to be recycled, and the other for everything else. 

Q. Which is which?

Google translate says yellow for recycling, blue for general waste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Just saw this. The same principle, but they are speaking it should last 40 years. Maybe different currents and geographic conditions ? And no flooding coming FROM the land !

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-48965715

Vast sand scheme to protect Norfolk coast

Interesting article. Referenced in the article was a larger Dutch project called Zandmotor which is lasting longer than expected. Big difference between those two projects and the Pattaya beach nourishment project is they're not relying on sandbags under the sand to control erosion, but instead relying on currents and tides to spread the sand along the shore.

Image result for Zandmotor

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I saw the mention of the Sand Motor related project, but didn't dig into it as I am on my phone.

Good find. I ll have a look later on the laptop, to (try) understand how it works, but clearly it is about using the existing forces of nature to work for you.

Tides are also very different in amplitude in the North Sea and Pattaya .

One of our companies supplied the Environment Agency with over 150,000 tons of sand and gravel to replenish a small beach near me. 

The locals told them that they really should put in stone groynes either side first, so it doesn’t wash away. They  Agency didn’t and just over a week later there was a storm and all of it disappeared beneath the waves. They then installed stone groynes and we supplied them with another 150, 000 tones. That was in 1995 and the beach is still there and is one that all the local Thai ladies go (my wife included) with their children.

Sometimes its best to listen to the locals. 

As for that work on the beach in Norfolk, I doubt the work would have been done, had the gas plant not been there. Let’s hope the sand goes where they planned, but sometimes nature is good at giving humans a damn good thrashing. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, john luke said:

A fair bit of rain fell yesterday and this morning, also a few waves on the sea from the wind, however the beach appears to have survived.

Report on PA that yesterday's high wind blew a shitload of sand onto Beach Rd. Not to worry though, clean up crews were dispatched with water hoses to wash the sand down the drains. Good thing they've started the project to enlarge the Beach Rd storm water drains, good opportunity to clean out all the accumulated sand.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:37 PM, Washedup said:

I can count on 1 hand.. the amount of times ive been on pattaya beach..erm since about 05!

I did one time only to board a speedboat for a private party out on Koh Larn. I occasionally sit under the trees at Wongamat,  but never go in the water. I'll go in the water at Sai Kaew beach, Bang Saray beach, and out on Koh Samet, but I detest Pattaya beach with a passion. (sokkaprok)

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I did one time only to board a speedboat for a private party out on Koh Larn. I occasionally sit under the trees at Wongamat,  but never go in the water. I'll go in the water at Sai Kaew beach, Bang Saray beach, and out on Koh Samet, but I detest Pattaya beach with a passion. (sokkaprok)

I would'nt ever ever go in the water or sit on the beach, its disgusting imo, but its not a problem as i don't go to Patts for a beach holiday lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I would'nt ever ever go in the water or sit on the beach, its disgusting imo, but its not a problem as i don't go to Patts for a beach holiday lol

Sitting on the beach is ok......A few times a year the stars line up just right Pattayas ocean looks just mildly unpleasant the rest of the year the water looks between very very bad and horrible....I do like Koh larn though...

• 4 weeks later...

Governor checks polluted pond at Na Jomtien beach

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/governor-checks-polluted-pond-at-na-jomtien-beach-263084

Pattaya-News-1-n-Aug-26-01-Pond-1024x576.jpg

I love the explanation :

"The officials were informed by local municipal workers that usually the sewage was discharged out to sea, but due to recent strong waves and winds for the past 2 weeks, sand had formed a dam wall to block the water and had led to the detritus and waste water accumulating in an increasingly unpleasant puddle."

8 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Governor checks polluted pond at Na Jomtien beach

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/governor-checks-polluted-pond-at-na-jomtien-beach-263084

Pattaya-News-1-n-Aug-26-01-Pond-1024x576.jpg

I love the explanation :

"The officials were informed by local municipal workers that usually the sewage was discharged out to sea, but due to recent strong waves and winds for the past 2 weeks, sand had formed a dam wall to block the water and had led to the detritus and waste water accumulating in an increasingly unpleasant puddle."

What he meant to say was “when you’re on holiday in Pattaya and you take a shit in  your hotel, don’t worry, you will be reunited with it again when you’re sunbathing on the beach”. 🤗

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Imagine my surprise 🤔

Will the authority’s never learn. 

Err...NO, It's Thailand  and nothing's done right. No permanent fixes etc. I used to drink with a Thai Man in Apple bar Jomtein and He was involved in City Hall and the expenditure.

His English was very good and He'd say 'corruption and cheap labour' right through the Government here. His words. 

• Like 1

Somebody had another great dream last night....

Pattaya City plans to construct new subterranean bathroom facilities on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches as part of a larger project to upgrade the city’s infrastructure.

p1-S-16-01-Underground-toilets.jpg

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/underground-toilets-planned-for-beachgoers-264621

Lets hope they will think of surelevating the entrance by 1 or 2 meter to avoid the flooding ?

Anyway...new business 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Somebody had another great dream last night....

Pattaya City plans to construct new subterranean bathroom facilities on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches as part of a larger project to upgrade the city’s infrastructure.

p1-S-16-01-Underground-toilets.jpg

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/underground-toilets-planned-for-beachgoers-264621

Lets hope they will think of surelevating the entrance by 1 or 2 meter to avoid the flooding ?

Anyway...new business 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

That will be another job down the line.. Lol... 

• Haha 2