Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

Part of Dusit Thani like it all ready is....

My recollection from pre covid days was that there was some dispute between the authorities and the owners of the hotel as to whether the hotel had built on public land.  I seem to recall some structures forming part of the hotel were removed.

52 minutes ago, john luke said:

My recollection from pre covid days was that there was some dispute between the authorities and the owners of the hotel as to whether the hotel had built on public land.  I seem to recall some structures forming part of the hotel were removed.

That is my recollection as well. I had pictures of what was removed, but sadly they were lost when Ben used the nuclear option on the Shhh forumn.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

There's a pipe from the pumping station, but the jetty itself is just two concrete drainage channels. Pic from Sept, 2021.

P9080078.jpg

Ah, got it now thanks, those gates were closed earlier when I took the picture with guys fishing,  so I didn't walk to the end.

Edited by boydeste

Made the trek out to the work site on the north end of the beach this morning. Asked and was granted permission to walk on the work site to snap a few pictures.

P2210001.1.jpg

I'll leave it to another BM to come up with the full translation, but if the 49,600,000 is the budget for the project that seems rather high to me for what looks like throwing down more rocks and possibly covering everything with a layer of concrete.
P2210007.jpg

P2210008.jpg

P2210010.jpg

P2210013.jpg

P2210016.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, john luke said:

Forcebwithu's snap says it all the wall down to the beach.....

P2210016.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boydeste said:

This jetty is new to me too, what is the purpose of it, other than it's nice to fish from?

20220221_122217.jpg

It appears they finally closed up that wretched shithole (welcoming folks near the entrance of Walking Street) from several pics/videos I've seen lately. 

Making progress it appears - :default_blink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The beach took a significant 'hammering' over the last 48 hours.  I have taken a series of photographs but this, at the moment seems the most impactive, as far as water draining from Beach Road and creating water tracks in the sand.  You can see sand eroded away right down to the sand bags.

0B0A7821-Pano-2-Edit.jpg

5 hours ago, john luke said:

The beach took a significant 'hammering' over the last 48 hours.  I have taken a series of photographs but this, at the moment seems the most impactive, as far as water draining from Beach Road and creating water tracks in the sand.  You can see sand eroded away right down to the sand bags.

0B0A7821-Pano-2-Edit.jpg

Still quite an improvement from years past. The "Hilton Waterfall" circa Oct 2015.
IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

Yip they need to fix the source properly ie the drainage.

And that's hugely difficult to fix at this stage.  

Central Pattaya now rests on a layer of concrete.  The spongy ground which 20 to 50 years ago soaked up much of the runoff from excess rainfall has been covered over to allow building. As a result, the  East-West roads and streets have become runoff channels to the sea during every heavy rain. The water has nowhere else to go, thanks to an inadequate drainage system.

Since Pattaya is built on a bit of an incline, the water gathers force as it rushes towards the sea.  In past years, I've seen water in a torrent down Soi Diana between Soi Bukhao and Second Road, while the water was waist-high at the intersections of Second Road with Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang.

The "torrential effect"  reaches its culmination as the water reaches Beach Road, hence the massive erosion to the beach. The new drainage works will hopefully help limit flooding, but it's almost impossible to alleviate the effects of 50 years of intensive building done without proper thought to drainage.

However, it does seem from the photos that it's now easier to repair the erosion to the beach.  Ever beach in the world takes something of a beating if it's hit by runoff from flooding.

Evil

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

And that's hugely difficult to fix at this stage.  

Since Pattaya is built on a bit of an incline, the water gathers force as it rushes towards the sea.  In past years, I've seen water in a torrent down Soi Diana between Soi Bukhao and Second Road, while the water was waist-high at the intersections of Second Road with Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang.

Evil

I remember a real bad one,was staying at pattaya br,took me over an hour to wade through the water and back to pbr from the corner bar.