What Is Rising In Pattaya

forcebwithu

On 2/19/2019 at 6:02 AM, forcebwithu said:

On 3rd Rd, close to Klang work crews are about finished installing the crane for another new project. No signage announcing what's going to be built.

I just walked past this one coming from BigC and asked the tilac if she knew what was going up and was told it's a hotel. When asked how she knew she replied "Because it's big".

Why don't just say they don't know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, KWA said:

I just walked past this one coming from BigC and asked the tilac if she knew what was going up and was told it's a hotel. When asked how she knew she replied "Because it's big".

Why don't just say they don't know?

As someone who is interested in history and food I asked the wife what hot spices were used before westerners brought chilies from the Americas. "I don't know, I'm not that old." Came the indignant reply.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 3:06 AM, john luke said:

20190219-20190219-IMG_1314.jpg

Mike's Mall from Second Road.  Should be completed later this year.

20190219-20190219-IMG_1315.jpg

Work commencing near the Base, also Second Road.

The old Diana Inn.

First place I stayed in Pattaya.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As reported by @Painter

the development next to Friendship on Pattaya Tai is becoming less of a mystery.

The development consists of 3 buildings - two adjacent to Tai, and a larger one behind those two.

Honey 1.JPG

The new sign on the road says "Honey Grand Body Massage" 

Honey 2.JPG

but the building at the back has more the look of serviced apartments or of a hotel. It has the name of "Acqua Residence "

Honey 3.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the south end of Second Road, not far from Pattaya Tai, there are two large TT Currency Exchange shops, almost opposite each other, on different sides of the road. Well, at least there were! The one on the west side of the road is undergoing some work. We'll have to wait and see whether it re-opens as a TT.

TT.JPG

In the English-speaking world, Toys R Us is almost extinct. However, that is not the case in Asia. A new branch is about to open in Royal Garden Plaza.

Toys R Us.jpg

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

At the south end of Second Road, not far from Pattaya Tai, there are two large TT Currency Exchange shops, almost opposite each other, on different sides of the road. Well, at least there were! The one on the west side of the road is undergoing some work. We'll have to wait and see whether it re-opens as a TT.

TT.JPG

In the English-speaking world, Toys R Us is almost extinct. However, that is not the case in Asia. A new branch is about to open in Royal Garden Plaza.

Toys R Us.jpg

Geeezus. They have one of those in CF.

Toy stores and brothels... only in Patts.   lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:31 AM, forcebwithu said:

Work has started on the pilings for a new building on Soi 15 near Buakhao.

I passed this one today and as well as the equipment in your pic was a big drill type workpiece for making holes, I think for the rebar forms in the foreground .  Can anyone tell me why they would use this type instead of the piles that are driven in?

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I passed this one today and as well as the equipment in your pic was a big drill type workpiece for making holes, I think for the rebar forms in the foreground .  Can anyone tell me why they would use this type instead of the piles that are driven in?

Could be supports for a non-load bearing structure.

16 hours ago, KWA said:

Driven piles vs bored piles.  Depends on the load that will be supported by the piles, soil conditions, environment, etc.....Very basic explanation

Driven piles

easy to execute, precast concrete (or H-beams) piles are piled into the ground by hammering. It is rather easy, fast and cheap. But very limited in depth and diameter because of the soil friction resistance when driving the piles. Besides that it is very noisy and create huge vibration, hence impossible to use in the case of neigbourhing hotels, condos, etc... Except modern equipment with hydraulic vibrators.

Bored piles : 

Bored by buckets attached to a Kelly bar, driven by a rotation device attached to a carrier (crane) or with a CFA (continous flight auger).

Seeing the small diameter of the reinforcement cage on the picture in this case I would think CFA. The CFA method is smoother, but slower as there are 3 phases :

- Drilling the piles

- Pumping the concrete in.

- Inserting the steel cage in the wet concreting (vibrating it)

Google / Wiki have some good tuturials on this.

Youtube also :

Cheers

Just F.Y.I. : I was a mechanic / technician on this kind of equipment for 30+ years....

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Driven piles vs bored piles.  Depends on the load that will be supported by the piles, soil conditions, environment, etc.....Very basic explanation

Driven piles

easy to execute, precast concrete (or H-beams) piles are piled into the ground by hammering. It is rather easy, fast and cheap. But very limited in depth and diameter because of the soil friction resistance when driving the piles. Besides that it is very noisy and create huge vibration, hence impossible to use in the case of neigbourhing hotels, condos, etc... Except modern equipment with hydraulic vibrators.

Bored piles : 

Bored by buckets attached to a Kelly bar, driven by a rotation device attached to a carrier (crane) or with a CFA (continous flight auger).

Seeing the small diameter of the reinforcement cage on the picture in this case I would think CFA. The CFA method is smoother, but slower as there are 3 phases :

- Drilling the piles

- Pumping the concrete in.

- Inserting the steel cage in the wet concreting (vibrating it)

Google / Wiki have some good tuturials on this.

Youtube also :

Cheers

Just F.Y.I. : I was a mechanic / technician on this kind of equipment for 30+ years....

interesting