Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

^^^ Good he was considerate to keep his speed down. Saw too many idiots driving around in the flood too fast for conditions, ignoring the pleas of those trying to hold their bikes upright in the deep water, only to have them knocked over by the wake of the passing vehicle.

• Thumbs Up 4

Watching those vids makes me shiver. The idea of stubbing my toe or getting a cut in that filthy water would worry me , especially if I was there for a holiday, if it got infected and then sent me down with a fever or something.

I like the pics though, that must have been one hell of a sustained deluge to cause that.

My thoughts are with the homeless people who are forced to live in the empty bars, plus the food volunteers not getting through.

In the NDtvi vid there's a shot of someone lugging a suitcase along, which is pretty sad.

Edited by Butch
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I hope it was only from Nirun to Secrets and that he got fined for not refuelling the vehicle like the Secrets drivers did !!

I have no clue on that one. ^^^^ I just remembered the drive and appreciated it because it gave a real good view on how widespread it was. I was also glad to see he made it to his destination safely.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I have no clue on that one. ^^^^ I just remembered the drive and appreciated it because it gave a real good view on how widespread it was. I was also glad to see he made it to his destination safely.

Sorry mate, I understand. I shouldn't take out my niggles on innocent parties!

It's just not publicly known how shit Secrets treated their drivers, fining them for not refueling even though they could drive to Hua Hin and beyond on what was in the tank. 

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Sorry mate, I understand. I shouldn't take out my niggles on innocent parties!

It's just not publicly known how shit Secrets treated their drivers, fining them for not refueling even though they could drive to Hua Hin and beyond on what was in the tank. 

Probably best saved for a different day. Like I said, I have no clue. 

27 minutes ago, CampariO said:

Isn't is possible to install a flood barrier?

https://www.flooddefend.com/demountable-flood-barrier/

I was talking to a friend last night about doing something for my house (rather than the whole area) and it wouldn't really take much effort or cost to seal off. I have only been flooded twice here in 10 years and the first time was because the storm trenches and culvert hadn't been cleared out, so it is only really once in 10 years, which indicates how quick and strong the rainfall was on Friday!

What happened last Friday was (IMO) very unusual so I'd just like to say that any YT comments slagging off the local Thai Government inability to provide sufficient drainage, especially the beaches, are talking out their arses!

• Like 1

We had a drop of rain on Saturday evening but nothing to write home about, and it had long stopped by the time I took my pre-bedtime perambulation around the village. I slept soundly, nothing woke me, and I was surprised to find my "rain gauge" (aka bucket) had a lot of rain water in it this morning.

IMG20210829090605.jpg

I'd emptied it before hitting the hay and we must have had a really intense storm pass over us in the night as the rain gauge had around 3 inches/8 cm of water in it this morning.

IMG20210829090616.jpg

• Like 1

I heard a story a few years ago (maybe 2015) when Pattaya was hit with some horrendous flooding that a farang woke up to find his hire car floating in an underground car park.

I've never given it much thought as to how they are drained to be truthful.

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I heard a story a few years ago (maybe 2015) when Pattaya was hit with some horrendous flooding that a farang woke up to find his hire car floating in an underground car park.

I've never given it much thought as to how they are drained to be truthful.

That was the year that there were a number of vehicles completely submerged in the Max Central condo, it's just back from 3rd. road, a little in front of 9 Karat and Nirun Condos on Soi Arunothai.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

31 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

That was the year that there were a number of vehicles completely submerged in the Max Central condo, it's just back from 3rd. road, a little in front of 9 Karat and Nirun Condos on Soi Arunothai.

Didn't think to take a picture of the hotel parking garage. In the pic below the hotel is to the right with water about 80cm deep at that point. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if they have any barriers they can put up to protect the garage.
P8270015.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Didn't think to take a picture of the hotel parking garage. In the pic below the hotel is to the right with water about 80cm deep at that point. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if they have any barriers they can put up to protect the garage.
P8270015.jpg

Originally there was an entrance ramp to the underground parking lot where that grey angled wall is now. It was modified after the floods a few years back. Then i think it was completely blocked off ( not sure but you can confirm next time you pass ) which left just the one access ramp at the front of the building. I was told at the time, by a Swiss mate of mine who lived there and had a near new Honda Jazz which was completely submerged, that the building insurance company refused to pay out as on the building plans there was only one entrance ramp at the front of the building. So who ever decided to put a 2nd one at the side made a huge error.....

• Surprised 1

8 hours ago, rajs123 said:

Are those massive pumps near the former beer garden no longer working? I thought that those were installed to help with reducing the flooding?

They're in the process of upgrading the pumping station, but what they have now is working.
P8270092.jpg

They also have two portable auxiliary pumps to help with the effort.
P8270108.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Well, At least the sewers got a good flushing out. Although, may start to smell a bit "ripe" around those parts in a few days.

Skeeters will be thick !

I'm going to clean out my daughter's room today. I haven't touched it since the flooding. I have no idea what life forms have evolved in there since then!!.....