Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

On 9/8/2021 at 10:42 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

It was very bad last night. Just started to "relax" ...

I was very sleepy last night after my second jab, with a few aches. Everything was dark in my room apart from a nightlight and I heard people shouting my name accompanied by revving engines. I swear this is the truth.I woke up thinking I was in 80's NI with "pigs" warming up but then I realised that my flack jacket was my vest!

4am and the water was high but I had plenty of time to prepare. I just let the water flood in, no problem. Then my thumb was bitten by one of those big millipedes, then the fucking cat got scared and knocked my bug out bag, my medicine and f**k knows what else into the foot of water in my room!

But, as always, I survive. I always do. And I do it by myself. I dread the day when I become reliant on somebody else.

Our favorite place to hangout, Prom Guesthouse was flooded out in the last storm, even with flood barrier up. The problem was water coming up through the interior drain pipes. They just finished installing a couple of sump pumps which may be an idea that would help your situation.

P9110003.jpg

P9110005.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Our favorite place to hangout, Prom Guesthouse was flooded out in the last storm, even with flood barrier up. The problem was water coming up through the interior drain pipes. They just finished installing a couple of sump pumps which may be an idea that would help your situation.

P9110003.jpg

P9110005.jpg

Yep, I was thinking of buying one of those hermetically sealed pumps a few years ago for my rain water catchment tanks. 1,000 baht I think.

They would be useful after the floods because during the floods there is nowhere to pump the water too!

During the night on Tuesday I was stood in the water upto my dangleberries and was joking with my neighbours pretending to bail out the water into the street which was at the same water level! Imagine standing where she is and the height of the street flood water is going over her wall - except my house is higher rather than lower.)

I have a plan to add steps and extend my wall by a couple of metres. (Difficult to explain really.)

6 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, I was thinking of buying one of those hermetically sealed pumps a few years ago for my rain water catchment tanks. 1,000 baht I think.

They would be useful after the floods because during the floods there is nowhere to pump the water too!

During the night on Tuesday I was stood in the water upto my dangleberries and was joking with my neighbours pretending to bail out the water into the street which was at the same water level! Imagine standing where she is and the height of the street flood water is going over her wall - except my house is higher rather than lower.)

I have a plan to add steps and extend my wall by a couple of metres. (Difficult to explain really.)

Yes, without a flood wall, a pump is obviously not going to do much good. Stilts man, you need stilts on your house. :default_cheers:

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2021 at 4:42 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

It was very bad last night. Just started to "relax" ...

I was very sleepy last night after my second jab, with a few aches. Everything was dark in my room apart from a nightlight and I heard people shouting my name accompanied by revving engines. I swear this is the truth.I woke up thinking I was in 80's NI with "pigs" warming up but then I realised that my flack jacket was my vest!

4am and the water was high but I had plenty of time to prepare. I just let the water flood in, no problem. Then my thumb was bitten by one of those big millipedes, then the fucking cat got scared and knocked my bug out bag, my medicine and f**k knows what else into the foot of water in my room!

But, as always, I survive. I always do. And I do it by myself. I dread the day when I become reliant on somebody else.

Sorry to hear that Derek, I hope the hand is ok and not infected or giving you too much grief.

Interesting you mention a Bug out bag, I'm in the process of making one up. I've got pre- made winter emergency kits in each car (ever since I was stranded for 7 hours in a traffic jam 5 miles from my house!) with food, blankets, water, torches, chemlights and each one has a "festival phone" which are cheap, £10 phones with a SIM and credit always fully charged and kept in the car.

What's in your bag mate?. I've got the usual foil blanket, knife, torch, meds and high energy food, plus 200m of paracord.

42 minutes ago, Butch said:

Sorry to hear that Derek, I hope the hand is ok and not infected or giving you too much grief.

Interesting you mention a Bug out bag, I'm in the process of making one up. I've got pre- made winter emergency kits in each car (ever since I was stranded for 7 hours in a traffic jam 5 miles from my house!) with food, blankets, water, torches, chemlights and each one has a "festival phone" which are cheap, £10 phones with a SIM and credit always fully charged and kept in the car.

What's in your bag mate?. I've got the usual foil blanket, knife, torch, meds and high energy food, plus 200m of paracord.

Years ago I was snowed in at the telecomms site on Pole Moor. I just made loads of noodles whilst I could boil water. It kept me going through the night so I'd recomend a couple of packs of them no matter where you are in the World. Do you keep a short handled spade in the boot?

Things are different here. I keep my passport, bank cards and now my vaccine certificate in there. I'm never going to starve or freeze to death here so the important things for me are two complete change of clothes, a pair of plastic shoes and the basics for a SSS.

• Great Info 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Had a chuckle at the pic caption. They're scouting a site for a drainage trough while standing in the drainage trough.

Deputy Mayor Pattana Boonsawad and planners scouted a site outside the Lotus supermarket in South Pattaya for a proposed rainwater drainage trough in the middle of Sukhumvit Road.
Pattaya-News-6-Sep-30-01-Sukhumvit-road-pitch-for-future-floodway.jpg

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...