Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

That was quite the storm last night. I was in bed when it passed through and didn't bother to get up and look at the rain as I could hear it well enough from the comfy of my bed. There was crack of lightening that sounded like it hit the water tower 50m from my house. My poor dog almost had cardiac arrest with that one. Photos of the flooding on PN.

https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1188446648573009

• Thumbs Up 2

I realised last night that I'm a child of the digital age. It was midnight and I was about to switch all the lights off and hit the hay when I heard heavy rain on the roof. Instead of going to the window or front door and having a gander at what was going on outside, instead I opened the TMD weather radar on my phone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

That was quite the storm last night. I was in bed when it passed through and didn't bother to get up and look at the rain as I could hear it well enough from the comfy of my bed. There was crack of lightening that sounded like it hit the water tower 50m from my house. My poor dog almost had cardiac arrest with that one. Photos of the flooding on PN.

https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1188446648573009

It hit really hard over here in Jomtien as well. It woke me up about 1 AM and I am glad it did. The wind was so strong that it was driving the rain into the condo under the balcony window/doors. I had an excellently sized pool of water heading to my computer equipment area. I said "SHIT". The TGF was up out of bed within seconds armed with mop and bucket.

We have been in this particular condo for two years now and this is only the second time that water was driven in by the wind and the previous time it was relatively minor. This time it was all three balcony doors and they did not have their seals all go bad at once.

I live in VT2A (the building is 20 years old or so now) and the original doors were all single pane. Guys who have replaced the original doors with double or triple panes do not have these problems. Also being close to the Jomtiem Complex Blue Light Bars, the noise from the very late night birthday parties can be terrible on the South side of the building. At least it was pre-covid. I am expecting the noise level to begin to ramp up once again as tourism resumes. Multiple pane doors eliminate these problems. 

I am a long term renter, so I am not going to pay for this particular upgrade as it is expensive. I had a very rough estimate of 250,000 THB for a 3 unit condo (130 sqm with three balconies). I am also not highly motivated to push this because we are on the North side of the building, which shields us from the impending birthday party noise.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I hope his bow doors were open!

A Pattaya Enterprise that I would be happy to see!!

Selfish cnuts shouldn't have a driving licence. Oh wait a minute,  maybe he didn't have on.

• Thumbs Up 2

there must be a thriving business in Pattaya fixing "hydrolocked" engines in cars (when water ingress causes catastrophic failure inside an engine).

Always worth remembering chaps, very often if it's deep enough to cover or meet the front bumper, it's possibly (depending on car make and model) deep enough to suck all that water into the air filter and then into the engine, plus if it gets inside the vehicle itself, some ECU's (Subaru's for example) are located within the passenger footwell under the carpet, which is enough to write a car off here in the UK, if it mullers it.

On some cars the air intake itself is not visible as it's located in the inner wing, often behind a plastic wheelarch liner.

Apologies for going slightly OT.

Edited by Butch
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

Bit of a sprinkling this morning.......

Yes  indeed, no less than five inches of sprinkling in my garden, according to the water gauge bucket. That makes a total of over 11 inches since Sunday, and there was me thinking that the rainy season had failed again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rain started here around 11:00 PM last night. When I got up this morning my rain gauge bucket only had about an inch in it at 9:00 AM, so it must have stopped during the night, or eased off a lot. We've had a lot of rain this morning, though, it stopped around an hour ago and the rain gauge bucket now has a full 5 inches in it. We've averaged about an inch of rain per hour this morning, which is pretty good going.

Last night, I was checking the rain on the radar and I could see that the heaviest stuff was heading for Laem Chabang where the GF lives. Her gaff is prone to flooding, so I wasn't surprised to hear that the dogs woke her up at 1:00 AM because the water had got into the house and was flooding it. This is what it looked like this morning once the sun came up:

May's place.jpg

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

The rain started here around 11:00 PM last night. When I got up this morning my rain gauge bucket only had about an inch in it at 9:00 AM, so it must have stopped during the night, or eased off a lot. We've had a lot of rain this morning, though, it stopped around an hour ago and the rain gauge bucket now has a full 5 inches in it. We've averaged about an inch of rain per hour this morning, which is pretty good going.

Last night, I was checking the rain on the radar and I could see that the heaviest stuff was heading for Laem Chabang where the GF lives. Her gaff is prone to flooding, so I wasn't surprised to hear that the dogs woke her up at 1:00 AM because the water had got into the house and was flooding it. This is what it looked like this morning once the sun came up:

May's place.jpg

Looks like there is, or will soon be a turd added to the filth of the water.

• Haha 1