Ubon Ratchathani

Skalliwag

Never been to that part of the world but as others say it is interesting to see where others live.

Reminds me of when my wife first told me she was from Nong Khai and I thought it would be nice to visit as I had heard it is a lovely place to visit on the banks of the Mekong. I asked her exactly where it was and showed her a map of the town, she then explains to me that it is east of Nong Khai city and near to Phon Pisai which I noticed was about 45 minutes from Nong Khai.  She then further explains that it is another 1 hour east of Phon Pisai and is nearer to Bung Kan which appeared to be another hour further east along the Mekong.

As much as I have been to Bung Khan a few times since it is a little bit off the beaten track and well east of Nong Khai for a regular and worthwhile trip unless you want to get to Laos via the river crossing.

It took me a while to realise that when a girl tells you she is from Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani or Chiang Mai etc she is referring to the province and not the city itself.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

When I first moved to Thailand I lived directly south of you in Buntharik, on the other side of Sirindhorn Reservoir. Really enjoyed living there, but only lasted about six months when the reality of my then TGF's greedy family sunk in. Been happy in Pattaya ever since.

Ubon is famous for their candle festival. Here's a few pics I took of the festival in July, 2009.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

I've got a Canuck mate who lives in Amnat Charoen, north or NW or Ubon. He loves it there, nice and quiet and he can go on long motorbike rides around Isaan and the North when he gets fed up with wifey nagging him.

The downside is that to get a decent loaf of farang-style bread means a 100 mile round-trip into the Tops supermarket in Ubon. He goes to farang-oriented cafes and so on, and meets up with farang friends, but the distances involved generally seem to be a pain in the proverbial. Personally I like Pattaya with everything I need a few klicks from my doorstep, but if you don't like big cities then I can well understand that up around the Ubon are a would be a nice place to live. I think I'd try and get somewhere near the river, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I've got a Canuck mate who lives in Amnat Charoen, north or NW or Ubon. He loves it there, nice and quiet and he can go on long motorbike rides around Isaan and the North when he gets fed up with wifey nagging him.

The downside is that to get a decent loaf of farang-style bread means a 100 mile round-trip into the Tops supermarket in Ubon. He goes to farang-oriented cafes and so on, and meets up with farang friends, but the distances involved generally seem to be a pain in the proverbial. Personally I like Pattaya with everything I need a few klicks from my doorstep, but if you don't like big cities then I can well understand that up around the Ubon are a would be a nice place to live. I think I'd try and get somewhere near the river, though.

I probablyally have seen him!

My wife is from there and I spend a month there one week.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So,Phibunmangsahan is the last outpost before you gather supplies and head her out to the sticks.

Phibun is approx 90 minute drive from Ubon...(East).

Phibun has a little hospital,a market of course and a donut and cake shop.

The last time I was there,they were just setting up a Lotus Express.👍

Anyways,I got married there in 2002,and have been back many times for a visit.

I found a lovely little Thai resort on the Mum river,that had a pool (not swimable),a full Western breakfast (not edible),a zip line (I’m out) and for f**k sakes,HBO on the tele.

Ive done my time staying in the sticks,and prefer to stay here,and drive out during the day.The family is Mama and Papa,7 girls and a boy.

I guess the old man thought he was on fire,as the boy came out first and got skunked the next 7 times.

The village is a literal girl machine.Everytime a new kid is born,it seems to be a girl.Out of the 8 kids,there are four boys and eleven girls.

And it took a Falang to make one of the boys.💪💪💪

They are a great crew of peeps,and have never asked me for f**k all,although,the big white guy did set the rules early on,and has kept his end of the bargain so far,so no need to worry at this point.

Ive managed to find some flash drives with some earlier pics,so will add them over time.

I enjoy visiting the village.I found a little 9 hole golf course right on Sirindon dam,and I head out there for a fleecing from the local Caddies who I play with (and lose to).

First order of business is to round up all of the motorcycles and take them down to the local moto/TV repair guy,for some well deserved servicing.

my first ever Suzuki Swing is still there and running,although she has been pimped out by several of the little fucker,so it’s barely recognizable.

Ubon is a fantastic city,only an hour from Bon Mueang,But 12 hours solid drive from Pattaya,up the 24.I really enjoy Ubon.

We usually stay in Surin overnight on the drive up, at the Surin Thani (?) Hotel Which is where we had the offer from a lovely Chang beer promo girl,to take care of both of us one night,an offer that was politely declined by Mrs Wag,much to the disappointment of Mr Wag.🤷‍♂️

Around the second year Mrs Wag was in Canada,there was an awful lot of Thai mail coming and going at our place,over a number of months.

Green books,Blue books and lots of Photocpoies were taken and sent back.

it was only after our next trip the following year,that I was told,Mrs Wag had secured a lease with a telecommunications company,and they had installed a cell phone tower on property that she had been given from Mama,which she renews every 3 years or so and nets her a nice little egg,for when she returns for a holiday.Of which she has used to extend the family home and put in hot water for Mama,who is not allowed to use it from Papa,because he feels it’s costs too much money.🤪

I have little need to know how much the lease is for,but I do get to handle the courier invoices,at the time of renegotiations.

Clever little fucker is Mrs Wag.

Both parents are in their 70’s and should start shuffling off in the not too distant future.Mrs Wag has been preparing for them to go,and to be honest,I feel it’s been a miracle that all 8 kids have made it to adulthood,and the old man is still with us,after he falls off his moto pissed,at least twice a month.Miracle if you ask me.I have pics of that.🤦‍♂️

Anywas,any questions,fire away,I will add pics as I come across them.

There is a beautiful cave and sandstone waterfall approx 30 minutes up the road from the village.Falang no pay double,but actually negotiated a deal for family members.

yes,all those in the pic were in my pick up truck.

the twins are my nieces.Cheeky as f**k and smart as a whip.Laways manage to get a few Satan’s out of me when I’m there.

6048A4CC-6306-4647-BBDF-5F00D7A8C296.jpeg

0D3D1BAA-DBD9-4686-B2CE-F8F43ABF05A3.jpeg

BD005AF8-80D0-4B13-B579-CAD78B6CAF34.jpeg

4EE64C0C-A8B8-49C1-9C83-00059F2A24AB.jpeg

98F535A1-4726-4608-96F8-3C6FF420C6CC.jpeg

43AA8A8B-0A4F-484B-90F3-E4F04FFDCB66.jpeg

10F8BCB8-5A7A-413D-B243-8BA4BEAC9C8C.jpeg

5C85F0B4-191F-4373-AF4D-CCA6BC623DF7.jpeg

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well,I'm looking through all of the USB drives here this morning and came across some old pics of some travels.

This one is in Ubon.My lad and some of his cousins.I like to send him back every couple of years for a tune up.He always comes back well adujsted.cousins4.jpgDSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (44).JPGDSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (52).JPGDSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (51).JPGDSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (88).JPG

This little fucker was hiding under a ledge,as we were walking up some switch backs to get out of the waterfall pond.Was about a 40 minute hike out,I saw him above me and as I walked by,i stuck my hand in under the ledge,and quickly snapped a pic.This was with the first digital camera I ever owned,and when i got home ,to my suprise,I had managed to get it right in the middle of the frame,in perfect focus.Lucky falang

DSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (56).JPG

Tcousins3.jpg

A pic from the early 2000's.Sugar Shack,old man Brians birthday RIP.

The girl second from left,worked at Living Dolls 2.Name was Wan.She lived above the Shack in a room,with a bunch of other girls.Was a wonderful girl who had a daughter,with an English lad,who worked in China.

She sent the little one to grandma,and when the little one had baby teeth,the grandma had them pulled,and the little girl bled to death.

Wan commited suicide a few months later,leaving the English lad on his own.Terrible story sorry,but a stark reminder of what happens in Thailand sometimes.

Will update as I come across more pics.I have a box full of negatives that I would like to get turned into digital pics,but it was expensive last time I checked.

Maybe the price has come down now.

Cheers

Skalli.

DSC00023.aussie thai pics 1 (19).JPGw

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, tommy dee said:

looks pretty rural.. any pics?  would be interesting

Look on my Flickr site Tommy, many pic's on there from the Ubon area, mainly various waterfalls, plus a 'secret' temple built underneath an overhanging cliff, a film set for Ridley Scott's film Alexander and a place called Sam Pan Bok, which is most interesting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24593178@N04/

15119803840_9989959a43_k.jpg

15306128292_2f0e3bd688_k.jpg

15283452756_490889788d_k.jpg

15303063801_cdd18be1c5_k.jpg

15119669387_48b908b5af_k.jpg

15119849998_739ae164ef_k.jpg

15303296081_91a4508182_k.jpg

8251411155_d0fad7559f_k.jpg

8252484718_253953961f_k.jpg

8127122616_5f93ab92cc_k.jpg

Edited by SteveBC
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

One of my options to move to when I get evicted from here next year is to move to a village in the Ubon area.

I thought I'd slip in a quick question about visa agents there.

The old lady that I'm thinking of moving in with used to do everything for her husband before he passed away a year or so ago and she said around 25,000 Baht for Retirement Visa renewal .. To me this is twice the cost of Pattaya Agents..

Any advice ??

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

she said around 25,000 Baht for Retirement Visa renewal .. To me this is twice the cost of Pattaya Agents..

More like three times the cost, I usually pay 8,000 Baht and that includes the 1,900 Baht fee.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

One of my options to move to when I get evicted from here next year is to move to a village in the Ubon area.

I thought I'd slip in a quick question about visa agents there.

The old lady that I'm thinking of moving in with used to do everything for her husband before he passed away a year or so ago and she said around 25,000 Baht for Retirement Visa renewal .. To me this is twice the cost of Pattaya Agents..

Any advice ??

I remember the Wrong Way Pub as being a meeting place for hashers when I lived for a short time in the province. Here's a link to their FB page which has an email address. Suggest sending an email to them asking about visa agents in the area and their fees.

• Great Info 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, forcebwithu said:

I remember the Wrong Way Pub as being a meeting place for hashers when I lived for a short time in the province. Here's a link to their FB page which has an email address. Suggest sending an email to them asking about visa agents in the area and their fees.

E-mail sent.

Thank You