Gardening

Skalliwag

10 hours ago, tommy dee said:

i am told fake grass is burning hot in the sun so much so that soccer plaers suffer from it in heat.  hardly good for here??

I got so fed up with trying to make the grass look like a half decent lawn that I decided to lay this stuff instead.

Best move I ever made in the garden. It is tough, does not mind sun or shade and you mow it just like grass.

IMG20190505090912.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I got so fed up with trying to make the grass look like a half decent lawn that I decided to lay this stuff instead.

Best move I ever made in the garden. It is tough, does not mind sun or shade and you mow it just like grass.

IMG20190505090912.jpg

I've given up on my lawn Jambo and what you have is my next move 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

It grows like mad sending out runners.

I thought I would try half the area I had grassed to see how it settled and what it looked like. In the end I never bothered  to lay the other half because it  spread so quickly and literally swamped the grass that remained.

I took that photo this morning. It looks a million times better than the grass it replaced and its thick, hard wearing and good to walk on.

I have probably planted Thailand's equivalent of giant hog weed. 😛

• Like 2

We have a similar grass here in the Philippines, they call it 'frog grass' at our garden shop. Been down five years, never mowed it but need to water it if you dont get much rain in the summer. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

19 hours ago, Jambo said:

It looks a million times better than the grass it replaced and its thick, hard wearing and good to walk on.

Did they just lay it on the old grass (what was left) or did they rip up the old stuff and prepare the soil correctly ?

1 hour ago, biggles said:

We have a similar grass here in the Philippines, they call it 'frog grass' at our garden shop. Been down five years, never mowed it but need to water it if you dont get much rain in the summer. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks brill Biggles and no mowing !!!

22 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Did they just lay it on the old grass (what was left) or did they rip up the old stuff and prepare the soil correctly ?

I did it myself.

I cut the grass (what was left of it) really short then put a thin layers of 20 baht a bag potting compost and just laid it on top. This stuff does not need any real preparation. It really wants to suffocate the old grass and grows like mad if you keep it watered. I never bothered to complete the "Lawn" because the runners it sent out just took over within one growing season.

The dogs used to piss on the old lawn which left brown patches everywhere. They either don't like this stuff or its immune to female dog piss. :default_527:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Grass and the struggle for a great lawn is something that I have hated since I was a kid.

The amount of work that goes into it is ridiculous. Just not worth it. It is another ridiculous thing that we are brainwashed into. Buying the fertilizer, lawn mowers, etc. is big biz.

FFS now matter having a  nice lawn you are a slave to putting that fertilizer on it every year. Pain in the ass.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Grass and the struggle for a great lawn is something that I have hated since I was a kid.

The amount of work that goes into it is ridiculous. Just not worth it. It is another ridiculous thing that we are brainwashed into. Buying the fertilizer, lawn mowers, etc. is big biz.

FFS now matter having a  nice lawn you are a slave to putting that fertilizer on it every year. Pain in the ass.

I agree.Fucking hate grass,again,would love to concrete the whole thing minus the gaaaarden.

The absolute worst is,the fucking chunk of grass between my property line,and the street.

The Council call it “a boulevard “ and if I don’t mow it,they call me saying “excuse me but the boulevard is your responsibility and if you don’t cut it,we will send someone out and charge you”.

i don’t fucking own it,I can do anything with it,but I have to up keep it.

Fuckers.

6 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

The absolute worst is,the fucking chunk of grass between my property line,and the street.

Fuckers.

I had the same with my house in Solihull.

It was a corner plot and I had a largish area of grass outside of my property line and up to the pavement. It really used to piss me off because it was always better than my own lawn. :default_biggrin:

So one weekend I got some landscaping guys round and I simply absorbed the grassed area behind a rather attractive flowering hedge. Nobody seemed to notice or care including the lawyers or surveyor when I moved to Scotland and sold the house. :default_blum:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I had the same with my house in Solihull.

It was a corner plot and I had a largish area of grass outside of my property line and up to the pavement. It really used to piss me off because it was always better than my own lawn. :default_biggrin:

So one weekend I got some landscaping guys round and I simply absorbed the grassed area behind a rather attractive flowering hedge. Nobody seemed to notice or care including the lawyers or surveyor when I moved to Scotland and sold the house. :default_blum:

I’m thinking of tilling it up and planting pumpkins.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Puts my back garden to shame. 

Sprayed all the weeds off a few weeks ago and strimmed the stuff down. Me and our son raked it all up into piles on the weekend and that will go on the bonfire on November 5th. 🤗

Finally got the wife to trim around her rose bushes and instructed her in no uncertain terms that she must cut them all down at the end of autumn to around 10 inches high, not let them grow like bloody trees! 

Bless her, but I’m seriously considering getting a man in to do the garden on a regular basis, or maybe concreting it over and painting it green. The neighbours have just spent thousands having most of their garden Astro Turfed. Now that’s an idea.🤔 

Memo to self. Measure the M2 and get a quote and convince her indoors to pay. 😃

Edited by KhunDon
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:29 AM, Skalliwag said:

I agree.Fucking hate grass,again,would love to concrete the whole thing minus the gaaaarden.

The Council call it “a boulevard “ and if I don’t mow it,they call me saying “excuse me but the boulevard is your responsibility and if you don’t cut it,we will send someone out and charge you”.

Fuckers.

If you don't own it ... then f**k them ... see you in court .... it is the fu***cking principle and the gall these F*Ks have to demand you take care of something you don't own

It is entirely another "thing" if you do on your own ... without the threats ... or the harassing phone calls

Super happy I live where I live ... away from all of this type of bullshit ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

9 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

What a beauty, it only flowers occasionally, see what this lockdown has done to me, turned me into a gardener 😬P1000904.JPG   

Have the same bush in our garden, ours was in full bloom a few days ago.

20200426_124431.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loving these photos I’ve thoughly enjoyed Lockdown in England being in the garden everyday....... and was thinking this is my idea of a blissful retirement and as I couldn’t really enjoy a garden in Thailand I’d have to retire in UK...... you guys have thrown another wonderful spanner in the works.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

If you don't own it ... then f**k them ... see you in court .... it is the fu***cking principle and the gall these F*Ks have to demand you take care of something you don't own

It is entirely another "thing" if you do on your own ... without the threats ... or the harassing phone calls

Super happy I live where I live ... away from all of this type of bullshit ...

Wouldn’t trade you for all the tea in China mate.

I tolerate the bullshit,cause it’s paradise on earth.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

There are many different types and quality some not uv proof.

So best you do your research and not go for the lowest cost.

It was laid at my sons school 6 years ago outside and looks like it was just placed there.

JDM

Edited by JDM
  • Like 2