Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Author John Le Carré who wrote spy novels including 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' has died at the age of 89, according to his literary agent

John le Carré, legendary author of spy novels including 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,' dies

John le Carré, the former spy and British espionage novelist who wrote “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” died this weekend, a representative said Sunday. He was 89.

In a statement, Jonny Geller, the CEO of le Carré’s literary agency, said the legendary author died Saturday night after a short battle with pneumonia in Cornwall, in the southwest of England.

His death was not COVID-19-related, Geller said.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Mosquito said:

Gerard Houllier RIP

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-gerard-houllier-dead-liverpool-23164009

Gerard Houllier, the former Liverpool manager, has passed away at the age of 73.

The Frenchman, who spent six years at Anfield, has passed away just days after a heart operation in Paris; he had only returned home on Sunday.

The news was confirmed in France initially by both L'Equipe and RMC.

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker immediately paid tribute on social media, stating: "Oh no! Gerard Houllier has passed away. One of football’s smartest, warmest and loveliest people."

Michael Owen, who spent six years at Anfield under Houllier, winning the 2001 Ballon d'Or while under the tutelage of the Frenchman, declared himself "absolutely heartbroken".

He labelled Houllier: "A great manager and a genuinely caring man."

Houllier, who enjoyed great success in France with Lens, PSG and within the national youth set-up - notably for his role in Clairefontaine's emergence in the 1990s and the development of a number of Les Bleus' 1998 World Cup winners, including Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet - initially arrived at Anfield in July 1998, joining the club as co-manager with Roy Evans.

Evans resigned on November 10, leaving Houllier in sole charge, from where he rebuilt a side that had been labelled the "Spice Boys".

That culminated in the club's five trophy success of 2001, as they claimed the UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, Charity Shield and UEFA Super Cup, while they also returned to the European Cup for the first time since the 1980s.

In October of 2001 however, Houllier suffered emergency heart surgery after falling ill on the bench during a Premier League fixture against Leeds United.

He was rushed to hospital for an emergency operation due to the discovery of a heart condition, an aortic dissection.

Nevertheless, he returned to the club after five months away, and with the help of assistant Phil Thompson, led the club to a second place finish in the 2001-02 season.

Houllier ultimately left Liverpool in 2004, having also overseen an overhaul of the club's youth system, being replaced by Rafa Benitez.

He would subsequently return to coaching in France with Lyon in 2005, winning Ligue 1 in his only season at the Stade Gerland, before a return to England with Aston Villa in 2010.

However, Houllier's spell at Villa Park was cut short due to illness, forcing him to step down from his role after just nine months.

Houllier, who was awarded awarded the Legion d'honneur for his services to French football, and an honorary OBE for services to British football, would become head of global football at Red Bull in 2012.

He would go on to work once more with the French Federation and Ligue 1, before in recent years returning to Lyon, becoming technical director of the club's women's team and it's OL Reign side in the USA and remaining a close confidante of chairman Jean-Michel Aulas.

This year just keeps getting worse RIP 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, Stillearly said:

Author John Le Carré who wrote spy novels including 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' has died at the age of 89, according to his literary agent

I’ve got a couple of video discs with his Smiley and Tinker Tailor films on. 
Always enjoyed his work. ☹️

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, Painter said:

Peter Alliss, golfer and commentator,  at 89.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/55204070

me and my mate were playing westerhan gc kent and peter aliss was sitting outside the bar on the terrace and i was buying our first beer after our round and my says f**k me theirs peter aliss and in an instant i turned to him and said aliss aliss who the f**k is aliss  was faf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, Blue Streak said:

That's the one m8, had a friend in Holmer Green in the day.......

1640-IMG-20200929-WA0007-e1601397974912.

Super posh these days Winchmore Hill ..... back in the days you mention was all wealthy up and coming Greek Cypriots. then the Kurdish drug dealers and now its belong very Asian doctor, accountants and dentists .......+ golf courses ..... nice area these days. Driven past that pub but think i went there once .....up the old A10.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Super posh these days Winchmore Hill ..... back in the days you mention was all wealthy up and coming Greek Cypriots. then the Kurdish drug dealers and now its belong very Asian doctor, accountants and dentists .......+ golf courses ..... nice area these days. Driven past that pub but think i went there once .....up the old A10.

Different pub,The Hill, Winchmore Hill, Amersham HP7 0PA is the address of the Plough pub I was on about,which is the one in the picture.Still super posh though.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Different pub,The Hill, Winchmore Hill, Amersham HP7 0PA is the address of the Plough pub I was on about,which is the one in the picture.Still super posh though.

Oh nice one yes totally different part of outer London ....... Amersham yep .........  I call little Oxfordshire ...end of the Metropolitan Line in the old days ????? 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Former England opening batsman John Edrich aged 83.

RIP

_116249951_edrich_action.jpg

A great player & a good obituary here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9087443/LAWRENCE-BOOTH-John-Edrich-utterly-selfless-team-mates-loved-it.html

Still holds the record for the most 4's & most boundaries in a test innings.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2