Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Sad case, he was a huge underdog when he beat Ali. Like many others, pissed through all his earnings living the party lifestyle, ended up being a janitor. Hell of a fighter though, was in many tough brawls and his brain suffered for it

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:58 AM, coxyhog said:

Mary Wilson,Supremes co-founder dies....

https://news.sky.com/story/mary-wilson-tributes-to-a-true-legend-as-the-supremes-co-founder-dies-12213072

The Supremes were brilliant.

RIP Mary, I went to see her live when I was 18 back in 1972 at the Grafton Rooms on West Derby Rd, Liverpool. Stood right at the front of the stage and got a peck on the cheek while she was singing My Guy. Also seen Johnny Nash at the same venue.

_65535364_65535362.jpg

83a4df2943a4be719c5ff04d0474df79.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

Chick Corea dies aged 79

Chick Corea, a Grammy award winning jazz musician has died at the age of 79, a statement on his website confirmed.

The American musician's career spanned more than five decades. His last album was released in 2020.

Corea is the fourth most nominated artist in the Grammy awards' history with 65 nominations, winning 23 times.

He died on 9 February from a rare form of cancer that was only recently diagnosed.

Corea played with Miles Davis in the late 1960s and his own group, Return to Forever, were at the forefront of the jazz fusion movement.

He was also known around the world for his work as a composer with hits like Spain and 500 Miles High.

"Through his body of work and the decades spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions," the statement said.

In an interview with the BBC last November, Corea said he had spent lockdown taking on new projects and was looking forward to playing in front of a live audience again.

In a message left for his fans prior to his death, Corea said: "It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us.

"It's not that the world needs more artists, it's also a lot of fun," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56035168

Incredible music he put out and orchastrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWBkVucVMCY

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Me too. This man obviously made his money very young, I too thought he might already be gone and with all the legal stuff he went through, and still only 78......was sure he was older

• 2 weeks later...

I had missed the news of Hal Holbrook's passing last month. Great actor who for many decades performed as Mark Twain in his Mark Twain Tonight shows. RIP

Hal Holbrook, Actor Who Channeled Mark Twain, Is Dead at 95

He carved out a substantial career in television and film but achieved the widest acclaim with his one-man stage show, playing Twain for more than six decades.
00Holbrook1-superJumbo-v2.jpg
Hal Holbrook on stage as Mark Twain in 2005. Mr. Holbrook was 29 when he started playing Twain at 70; as he grew older, he found he needed less and less makeup to look elderly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/theater/hal-holbrook-dead.html

My Dad just lost his hard fought battle with lung cancer at 74. To all the younger BM, just want to say that you can be as compassionate as you want to a mate when they lose someone......but when it actually happens to you, whole different ballgame. Me and the old man had our differences, we both had bad tempers, and would often go months without speaking. He wasn’t an easy guy to get along with, period. 

But nobody’s perfect, unless someone has truly done major damage to you, just be thankful that your folks are alive and try to bury the hatchet. He’s only been gone a few hours and I won’t lie, I already have regrets and miss the hell out of him. I’m totally crushed, never cried like this, my mask got soaked. 
Rest In Peace Dad 1946-2021

The best golf buddy a son could ever have, I wish we would have taken one last trip to Phoenix before he got sick

4122142A-AC56-4A88-B1A6-2DDBCD1B9AA5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 15