Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

My Dad just lost his hard fought battle with lung cancer at 74. To all the younger BM, just want to say that you can be as compassionate as you want to a mate when they lose someone......but when it actually happens to you, whole different ballgame. Me and the old man had our differences, we both had bad tempers, and would often go months without speaking. He wasn’t an easy guy to get along with, period. 

But nobody’s perfect, unless someone has truly done major damage to you, just be thankful that your folks are alive and try to bury the hatchet. He’s only been gone a few hours and I won’t lie, I already have regrets and miss the hell out of him. I’m totally crushed, never cried like this, my mask got soaked. 
Rest In Peace Dad 1946-2021

The best golf buddy a son could ever have, I wish we would have taken one last trip to Phoenix before he got sick

4122142A-AC56-4A88-B1A6-2DDBCD1B9AA5.jpeg

Really sorry to hear this sad news.

As @boydeste has said, many of us have been there, me included. My dad also died of lung cancer at 72. Seeing his decline was heart-wrenching and in the end his passing was a blessing.

All the best to you, may your father rest in peace.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Really sorry to hear this sad news.

As @boydeste has said, many of us have been there, me included. My dad also died of lung cancer at 72. Seeing his decline was heart-wrenching and in the end his passing was a blessing.

All the best to you, may your father rest in peace.

Same,  I’m so happy they really took care of him in both the coronary unit and his final 36 hours in palliative. Very knowledgeable docs and nurses that have him just enough medication to sleep and be comfortable. He only went way downhill the last 2 days, and even squeezed my hand 6 hours before he went. When they can hear you and respond, but the eyes don’t open.......I knew that’s when it was over and wanted any suffering  to end

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Same,  I’m so happy they really took care of him in both the coronary unit and his final 36 hours in palliative. Very knowledgeable docs and nurses that have him just enough medication to sleep and be comfortable. He only went way downhill the last 2 days, and even squeezed my hand 6 hours before he went. When they can hear you and respond, but the eyes don’t open.......I knew that’s when it was over and wanted any suffering  to end

My dad was determined to pass away at home and the local docs, where he'd been a patient for years, fulfilled his wishes. They were brilliant, a daily nurse coming in daily and the doc coming in two or three times a week. All on the NHS, so no cost.

Towards the end they fitted a morphine pump into his stomach. He could administer it himself when he got pain.

This was 26 years ago and I came back to the house in February last year after my sojourn to Thailand for 7 months. I came back due to the pandemic and my ailing mother, who sadly passed away after a massive stroke in April 2020.

Going through the house after she passed to clear everything out, on a top shelf I found two full bottles of Morphine Sulphate, a full bottle of Tamezepam and about a hundred Morphine Sulphate tablets. My dad's final stash of medicine that the docs failed to take when he passed.

I wonder what the strength of this stuff is after 26 years . . . 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

My Dad just lost his hard fought battle with lung cancer at 74. To all the younger BM, just want to say that you can be as compassionate as you want to a mate when they lose someone......but when it actually happens to you, whole different ballgame. Me and the old man had our differences, we both had bad tempers, and would often go months without speaking. He wasn’t an easy guy to get along with, period. 

But nobody’s perfect, unless someone has truly done major damage to you, just be thankful that your folks are alive and try to bury the hatchet. He’s only been gone a few hours and I won’t lie, I already have regrets and miss the hell out of him. I’m totally crushed, never cried like this, my mask got soaked. 
Rest In Peace Dad 1946-2021

The best golf buddy a son could ever have, I wish we would have taken one last trip to Phoenix before he got sick

4122142A-AC56-4A88-B1A6-2DDBCD1B9AA5.jpeg

Very sorry to read of your terrible loss, buddy, my own Dad has a couple of months left now due to Pancreatic Cancer. 😌

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shaksey said:

Very sorry to read of your terrible loss, buddy, my own Dad has a couple of months left now due to Pancreatic Cancer. 😌

I’m so sorry, pancreatic seems to be the worst, it’s never detected until Stage 4. Just try and make the best of it. 

10 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

My condolences for what has been a long and trying ordeal for you; I saw my own folks off some years ago but was lucky to have them living here in my town so I didn't have the added anguish of travelling so far to be with them in  their times of need, and worrying that I wouldn't be - may your father RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Britboy said:

Going through the house after she passed to clear everything out, on a top shelf I found two full bottles of Morphine Sulphate, a full bottle of Tamezepam and about a hundred Morphine Sulphate tablets. 

I wonder what the strength of this stuff is after 26 years . . . 

i can guaranty you that they are still potent. They won't be full strength but with the quantities that you found they will still work very well.

• Thanks 1

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/03/dutch-inventor-of-the-audio-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94/

Lou Ottens, inventor of the cassette tape and a CD pioneer died aged 94 at his home in Duizel in Brabant on Saturday, Dutch media report.

Ottens, who studied to be an engineer, started working for Philips in 1952. Eight years later he became head of the firm’s recently introduced product development department. Within a year he and his team had developed the first portable tape recorder of which over a million were sold. Two years later he revolutionised the old reel-to-reel tape system by inventing the cassette tape. ‘I got annoyed with the clunky, user-unfriendly reel to reel system, it’s that simple’, Ottens said later. The new carrier had to be small enough to fit into his jacket pocket, Ottens decided, and he had a wooden model made to determine the ideal size. In 1963 the first plastic encased cassette tape was presented at an electronics fair carrying the slogan ‘smaller than a pack of cigarettes!’

The tapes were quickly copied by the Japanese but in different formats. Ottens managed to make a deal with Sony to use the mechanism patented by Philips to introduce a standard cassette which was then rolled out globally. Over 100 billion were sold worldwide.

Ottens went on to develop the CD, which again became a Sony-Philips standard and which sold over 200 billion. 

5 minutes ago, simon said:

Sad news to hear Murray Walker has passed away at the age of 97. l loved his formula one commentary. R I P.

Very sad to hear. Loved him on ITV F1. Such passion, but his true love was the Isle of Man TT races. He was always there every year when he was up to it, and first went as a very small child as his dad raced there. 

RIP

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Amazing boxer was Marvelous. Granite chin, along with a big punch. 3 losses, 2 draws( most questionable decisions) and still 78% KO as a middleweight. Only time he touched the canvas in his entire career, looked like a forearm shove and slip against Roldan(who just died from Covid)

Retired early after the BS Leonard decision, and kept all his marbles

Truly a legend, who managed a great career despite the politics and not being the most well liked guy

RIP

• Thumbs Up 2