Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

I am almost 60...

In 20 years I will be 80....20 years ago was right after 911, which seems like yesterday......

I sure don't feel like I am going to live forever anymore like I use too.....I am a bit concerned with things....If the rich and famous, talented and good looking bite the big one all the time,then what about me?

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

Fcuk this is a bad one ...

Father and son Roger and Bradley Stockton have been killed in a crash during racing at the Isle of Man TT, organisers have confirmed.

The pair from Crewe both died as the result of the incident at Ago's Leap during the second lap of the second sidecar race on Friday.

Passenger Bradley, 21, was a newcomer to the event, while his father Roger, 56, last competed at the TT in 2017.

Five riders have now died at this year's event.

• Sad 10

5 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Fcuk this is a bad one ...

Father and son Roger and Bradley Stockton have been killed in a crash during racing at the Isle of Man TT, organisers have confirmed.

The pair from Crewe both died as the result of the incident at Ago's Leap during the second lap of the second sidecar race on Friday.

Passenger Bradley, 21, was a newcomer to the event, while his father Roger, 56, last competed at the TT in 2017.

Five riders have now died at this year's event.

Terrible to hear but I would never want the TT banned.

Unfortunately it's a consequence of road racing, most dangerous form of motorcycle racing. These guys know the risk.

RIP Roger and Bradley 😭

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, fforest said:

I am almost 60...

In 20 years I will be 80....20 years ago was right after 911, which seems like yesterday......

I sure don't feel like I am going to live forever anymore like I use too.....I am a bit concerned with things....If the rich and famous, talented and good looking bite the big one all the time,then what about me?

Called my Mother a while ago (87) and she said it felt like Christmas was only last week. Time is relative, and the older you are, the faster it goes - Einstein.  Enjoy what time you have left - and dont worry about how quickly it is coming, because it comes at us all and there aint a thing you can do about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Called my Mother a while ago (87) and she said it felt like Christmas was only last week. Time is relative, and the older you are, the faster it goes - Einstein.  Enjoy what time you have left - and dont worry about how quickly it is coming, because it comes at us all and there aint a thing you can do about it. 

This is true....But the hard part is not knowing when D day will arrive.....

I counted the ages of death on one of those end of year celebrities we lost this year sites for 2019 and only 1 in 6 or 7? made it to their 90s and only 1 made it to 100.......70s - 80s was when most checked out.. 

I guess me turning 60 made me think about age more..

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, fforest said:

I counted the ages of death on one of those end of year celebrities we lost this year sites for 2019 and only 1 in 6 or 7? made it to their 90s and only 1 made it to 100.......70s - 80s was when most checked out.. 

Yep - that is what happens - we start thinking about something that we never thought much about before. Mortality sucks. But what sucks worse is being aware of it and knowing it is coming.   

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fforest said:

Many would look at your post and say like a bargirl “you think too mutt”

But I don’t know if it was the awful last 2 years that just passed , or the chest aches I had, I started having the exact same thoughts for the first time recently. When you’re in your 20’s, I think death is the last thing on your mind, you probably feel like you’’ll live forever. We know that’s not the case…..But the way I see it, hey I know is it’s coming, what’s the best balance of work and play from here on out to enjoy what time I have left? If I had done a few things differently, it would be simple and 100% play! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Billy Bingham - God rest his soul.

Northern Ireland beating Spain in the World Cup finals, Hard to believe but it did really happen!!

R.I.P Billy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61757384

Gave me some of my greatest moments as a football fan. Presided over a great era for Northern Ireland football.

Gerry Armstrong's goal against Spain was iconic, as was Big Billy Hamilton's fist pumping celebrations. 

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - that is what happens - we start thinking about something that we never thought much about before. Mortality sucks. But what sucks worse is being aware of it and knowing it is coming.   

Something that sucks even worse is sitting next to someone you love in the knowledge that they are very close to death and there's nothing you can do about it, being too scared to sleep, to leave or even turn your head away. i was faced with this late 2020/ early 21. Wife in an induced coma, me wondering what to do.

Makes you wonder what it's all about.

Death and taxes eh? I'm doing my best to escape death, as it seems the easier option.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Phil Bennett RIP. Wales and British Lions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59951331

Love this team talk he gave the Welsh before they played England !

Before facing England in 1977, Bennett famously told his Wales team-mates: ‘Look what these b******* have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. ‘We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English – and that's who you are playing this afternoon.’ 

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Phil Bennett RIP. Wales and British Lions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59951331

Love this team talk he gave the Welsh before they played England !

Before facing England in 1977, Bennett famously told his Wales team-mates: ‘Look what these b******* have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. ‘We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English – and that's who you are playing this afternoon.’ 

Great player from a great era 

• Like 4

Marc.png

Au Revoir, Monsieur Eden

Two dead, one wounded in shooting at Bangkok cold-cuts company

Some of you may have met Marc (EdenPapa), the founder, operator and part-owner of Bangkok's Eden Club, a hugely popular establishment at its peak.  I was surprised to read about his death in Stickman's column, as I had thought Marc had passed away several years ago.  The last time I spoke with him was in January, 2007, and he was dealing with heavy-duty health problems at that time.

I knew Marc quite well back in the day when I was a big fan (and customer) of the Eden Club.  Every trip I made to Bangkok included several visits to Eden.  I mostly chose the overnight takeaway option, but also had inhouse two-girl sessions. 

Marc invited me for lunch or dinner numerous times over the years we had contact.  They weren't cheap restaurants, either- the New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott, for example.  He said he liked talking with me and enjoyed reading the stuff I posted on the Bangkok boards. We were both "foodies" and that gave us a topic for endless discussion. This all took place between 2002 and 2007.

As Stickman says, Marc was indeed connected and certainly wasn't the kind of guy you'd want to mess with. I have to differ with Stick on one point- Marc wasn't the owner of the Eden Club.  He was the originator and operator of Eden Club, but he only had a minority stake in it.  He was the outward face of the Eden Club, as  the majority stakeholders were passive and in at least one case, secret and hidden. There's no way of knowing for sure, but the girls working at Eden believed a family member of an extremely influential man in Thai politics was a part owner  and that's why Eden was never raided by police.

Marc came across as grumpy when you first encountered him, but that was a deliberate tactic of his to discourage the "looky-looky" guys from wasting his time and that of the girls.  Once he decided you were there for business, he was actually quite friendly.  For very practical reasons, Marc wasn't interested in having drinkers fill the 15 seats at the bar.  Eden was a narrow, single shopfront with barely enough space to accommodate customers there for sex sessions, much less gawkers.  

Marc always emphasized that Eden was a brothel and not a drinking bar and that "Eden wasn't for everybody."

Just to keep all the ducks in a row-  Marc announced plans to open Eden Pattaya in August, 2006.  This surprised many people, myself included, as Marc had often said he would never open any sort of business in Pattaya because the competition was too tough and the profit margins too low.  He didn't think the Eden Club would work in Pattaya because the dominant customer base was wrong.  In Bangkok, Eden's customers were mostly visiting businessmen and working resident ex-pats willing and able to pay premium prices.  He felt there weren't enough such customers in Pattaya to make Eden a viable operation. 

However, a good friend of his, a Frenchman named Francis, persuaded Marc to give "Eden Pattaya" a shot.  Francis lived in Pattaya and had a family with a Thai woman.  He was convinced he could make Eden Pattaya a popular and profitable operation.

Eden Pattaya opened in late December 2006 on the exact same model as the Bangkok Eden Club.  Sadly, Francis died of a heart attack just a few days after Eden Pattaya opened.  Marc had no desire to remain involved in Eden Pattaya and sold the club and hotel next door to Cerberus.  It was renamed the Hell Club and later became the Devil's Den.

The Eden Club had a concept that was unique in Thailand and maybe the world.  The Devil's Den was the only other place to successfully use the same concept.  Neither place ever had a direct competitor, although a few made short-lived tries in Bangkok and Phuket.  

I had never before met anyone quite like Marc and doubt I ever will.  He was one of a kind, whether you consider his kind good or bad.

Evil

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

Marc.png

Au Revoir, Monsieur Eden

Two dead, one wounded in shooting at Bangkok cold-cuts company

Some of you may have met Marc (EdenPapa), the founder, operator and part-owner of Bangkok's Eden Club, a hugely popular establishment at its peak.  I was surprised to read about his death in Stickman's column, as I had thought Marc had passed away several years ago.  The last time I spoke with him was in January, 2007, and he was dealing with heavy-duty health problems at that time.

I knew Marc quite well back in the day when I was a big fan (and customer) of the Eden Club.  Every trip I made to Bangkok included several visits to Eden.  I mostly chose the overnight takeaway option, but also had inhouse two-girl sessions. 

Marc invited me for lunch or dinner numerous times over the years we had contact.  They weren't cheap restaurants, either- the New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott, for example.  He said he liked talking with me and enjoyed reading the stuff I posted on the Bangkok boards. We were both "foodies" and that gave us a topic for endless discussion. This all took place between 2002 and 2007.

As Stickman says, Marc was indeed connected and certainly wasn't the kind of guy you'd want to mess with. I have to differ with Stick on one point- Marc wasn't the owner of the Eden Club.  He was the originator and operator of Eden Club, but he only had a minority stake in it.  He was the outward face of the Eden Club, as  the majority stakeholders were passive and in at least one case, secret and hidden. There's no way of knowing for sure, but the girls working at Eden believed a family member of an extremely influential man in Thai politics was a part owner  and that's why Eden was never raided by police.

Marc came across as grumpy when you first encountered him, but that was a deliberate tactic of his to discourage the "looky-looky" guys from wasting his time and that of the girls.  Once he decided you were there for business, he was actually quite friendly.  For very practical reasons, Marc wasn't interested in having drinkers fill the 15 seats at the bar.  Eden was a narrow, single shopfront with barely enough space to accommodate customers there for sex sessions, much less gawkers.  

Marc always emphasized that Eden was a brothel and not a drinking bar and that "Eden wasn't for everybody."

Just to keep all the ducks in a row-  Marc announced plans to open Eden Pattaya in August, 2006.  This surprised many people, myself included, as Marc had often said he would never open any sort of business in Pattaya because the competition was too tough and the profit margins too low.  He didn't think the Eden Club would work in Pattaya because the dominant customer base was wrong.  In Bangkok, Eden's customers were mostly visiting businessmen and working resident ex-pats willing and able to pay premium prices.  He felt there weren't enough such customers in Pattaya to make Eden a viable operation. 

However, a good friend of his, a Frenchman named Francis, persuaded Marc to give "Eden Pattaya" a shot.  Francis lived in Pattaya and had a family with a Thai woman.  He was convinced he could make Eden Pattaya a popular and profitable operation.

Eden Pattaya opened in late December 2006 on the exact same model as the Bangkok Eden Club.  Sadly, Francis died of a heart attack just a few days after Eden Pattaya opened.  Marc had no desire to remain involved in Eden Pattaya and sold the club and hotel next door to Cerberus.  It was renamed the Hell Club and later became the Devil's Den.

The Eden Club had a concept that was unique in Thailand and maybe the world.  The Devil's Den was the only other place to successfully use the same concept.  Neither place ever had a direct competitor, although a few made short-lived tries in Bangkok and Phuket.  

I had never before met anyone quite like Marc and doubt I ever will.  He was one of a kind, whether you consider his kind good or bad.

Evil

Never met the man but think the old wisdom of living by the sword applies.

Certainly a significant passing as another end of an era. Fair play to ex-BM Stickman for keeping on keeping on, but he does come across as a bit of morally comprised fan boy in this piece.

But again it was an interesting read, and he doesn't seek to portray  him as an angel- which none of us are.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 3:01 AM, Lemondropkid said:

Never met the man but think the old wisdom of living by the sword applies.

Certainly a significant passing as another end of an era. Fair play to ex-BM Stickman for keeping on keeping on, but he does come across as a bit of morally comprised fan boy in this piece.

But again it was an interesting read, and he doesn't seek to portray  him as an angel- which none of us are.

I'm guessing I first went there in 97 because it was recommended to me by a couple of mates that were there at that time.

I was told what the score was with 2 ladies and the cost, so off I went by myself.

Got in there and was surprised how small it was compared to "The Star" and how clean it was in comparison as well!!!

- G&T please.

- There you are sir. Would you like a menu?

- I am unsure of my reply but it was definitely cringeworthy...."I'm not here for food" or some such bollocks!!

- He just give me a smile and a nod.

- I chose a lady, she chose a friend and I will never forget how clean the rooms were, the toys that were available and how nice the girls were.

- I paid in the bar and he just gave me a smile...I visited a few time after that and his smile suggested that he remembered me. He probably didn't but I damned sure remembered him!

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Such a brave woman and so young to succumb to this terrible disease, but she never gave up right to the end. ❤️🏆🙏

My nieces  11 year old daughter has been going through terrible cancer treatments for almost 3 years and has had so many lumber punctures and multiple chemotherapy courses. She was given the all clear 18 months ago, but a couple of months later it was back and was raging through her young body. So more rounds of chemotherapy and she’s now going through a course of radiation treatment for a few months.
Living in a hospital a thousand miles from home for the last 2 years, it’s so unfair, especially at her young age. 

All cancers are terrible and it’s taking way too many people before their time. 

I’ve just been fast tracked through the NHS for suspected cancer and had to go through so many tests and scans in 2 weeks my head was spinning. 
It’s at times like these you quickly  learn who and what really matter in life.
We decided to keep it from our son until I got the results, as he’s too young to really understand. 
Luckily I got the all clear, but it could have gone either way. 

Life’s a bitch at times. 

Thanks to Deborah and people like her , at least people are talking about it , her death and bowel cancer had five mins as first story on the six o'clock news tonight ... my Mum died of Bowel Cancer ten years ago , aged 68 ... one of my best mates has been having treatment for the last four years , started in bowel , then liver , now lungs .....but when my Aunt died in 1979 , it was only talked about in hushed voices , the Big C ... survival rates have much improved, because people are getting diagnosed earlier 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sonny Barger, biker outlaw and founder of Hells Angels, dies at 83

Sonny Barger, the bigger-than-life godfather of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club, equal parts brawler, bully, braggart, rule breaker and shrewd huckster of his own outlaw mystique, died June 29 at his home in Livermore, Calif. He was 83.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2022/06/30/sonny-barger-hells-angels-dead/

image.png

Edited by fforest
  • Sad 1