Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

My uncle (by kinship) produced that movie. I remember when he was reading the book and negotiating for the screen rights with Kirk Douglas.

I lived in his house for a bit when going to college. The woman that played Nurse Ratched's assistant in the movie was staying there at the time too. She's on the left in this photo:

download.jpg

I saw your mention of Kirk Douglas and had no idea of his connection to this movie.  I didn’t know he owned the rights or that he played McMurphy in the Broadway adaptation, until I searched for information on this. I would have liked to see his version.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lazarus said:

My uncle (by kinship) produced that movie. I remember when he was reading the book and negotiating for the screen rights with Kirk Douglas.

I lived in his house for a bit when going to college. The woman that played Nurse Ratched's assistant in the movie was staying there at the time too. She's on the left in this photo:

download.jpg

I wrote a couple papers on the book/movie in high school. My psychology teacher was very impressed. His teaching prompted my interests and I reckon he (and in some respects that book/movie) contributed greatly to my career path.

No regrets. My eyes were wide open at a very young age. Many of those early leaning experiences I believe helped me develop "coping" strategies throughout life that have enabled me to reach this point relatively "intact". 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I wrote a couple papers on the book/movie in high school. My psychology teacher was very impressed. His teaching prompted my interests and I reckon he (and in some respects that book/movie) contributed greatly to my career path.

No regrets. My eyes were wide open at a very young age. Many of those early leaning experiences I believe helped me develop "coping" strategies throughout life that have enabled me to reach this point relatively "intact". 

That post certainly raises a few questions... but i think time and format restraints must restrict me to "great post".

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

F—k me…….Coolio passes at age 59. For those who don’t remember, he sang Gangsta’s Paradise that was on the soundtrack for Dangerous Minds with Michelle Pfeiffer

88AE4F9C-519C-433F-B1CD-F94CF56E838C.jpeg

There is a loooong ass list of Rappers who died young I saw a few years ago somewhere on the internet.....Most I had never heard of but still...

Edited by fforest

39 minutes ago, fforest said:

There is a loooong ass list of Rappers who died young I saw a few years ago somewhere on the internet.....Most I had never heard of but still...

Have been at least half a dozen in last few years that were shot dead.Boys that were were in industry, but like you said guys I never heard of. Much like painters’ art work, it seems the young ones’ music becomes more popular in death. I hate to say it, but the violence in the Black community is a huge factor, fame doesn’t make them immune, quite the opposite actually. 

In terms of more “natural deaths”, there have been many pass prematurely due to drugs, liquor, or obesity related illness. Tough to follow a healthy lifestyle in that game

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

F—k me…….Coolio passes at age 59. For those who don’t remember, he sang Gangsta’s Paradise that was on the soundtrack for Dangerous Minds with Michelle Pfeiffer

88AE4F9C-519C-433F-B1CD-F94CF56E838C.jpeg

May he rest in peace. As for Paradises, I still prefer Amish Paradise.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, Golfingboy said:

Have been at least half a dozen in last few years that were shot dead.Boys that were were in industry, but like you said guys I never heard of. Much like painters’ art work, it seems the young ones’ music becomes more popular in death. I hate to say it, but the violence in the Black community is a huge factor, fame doesn’t make them immune, quite the opposite actually. 

In terms of more “natural deaths”, there have been many pass prematurely due to drugs, liquor, or obesity related illness. Tough to follow a healthy lifestyle in that game

Good riddance to any rappers, no matter what the cause, as far as I am concerned...

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Keith Eddy,Watford captain when I first started going to Vicarage Road in 1970 has died.

He had quite a career after his spell at Watford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Eddy

Former Watford Observer sports editor Oliver Phillips described Eddy as “a lovely, admirable man”.

Oli relayed a story from Eddy’s former manager at Vicarage Road: “Ken Furphy, up until then Watford’s most successful manager, had returned from the USA during a break, where he managed New York Cosmos. He could not wait to tell me an anecdote as we sat down in the Watford Observer canteen. 

“He told me: “We were playing this match in Texas, and Pele wins a penalty, takes it and misses. At half time, Keith Eddy, who is captain of the Cosmos, comes into the dressing room and tells Pele: ‘From now on I take the penalties’.” I had to laugh, and he laughed with me. Keith, a £1,250 Watford buy from Barrow, is taking Pele, at that time rated the greatest-ever player in football, off penalty duty.

• Haha 1