Retirement Extension today at Jomtien

Up early to get the bank letter at Bangkok bank left the bank letter in hand 8:40 Am. Moto taxi to immigration  9am in Jomtien. I always use the office just to the left of immigration have them make all the copies I need and fill in all the forms charged me 300 baht. Yea Yea I know should do it myself why pay someone. I do because they know just what the officer needs and they put it in the right order and using them I have never been asked for another copy of something they get it right always.

In the office i go at 9:15 get a number which they are waiting for no one is ahead of me. Hand over my paperwork officer goes through it in record time. Looks up asks me for 1900 baht and gives me a card telling me all good come pickup after 2pm tomorrow.

They require all the normal stuff. Bank Letter Bank Book TM7 Copy of my deed of ownership for my condo I own 1 photo No mention of TM30. Was given the letter to return in 3 months to show updated Bank book. This could not have been easier. 9:25 done and dusted. This was done with the 800K in the bank method.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Jambo's thread on the subject being closed, and as I dont want to open again another one, I post this here.

Another guy who had a "disapointing" information when extending his retirement visa.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2019/10/return-to-from-farangland-part-8/

I thought the proof of transfer from a Thai bank negated the income affidavit from the Embassy anyways so this persons experience does not surprise me.

Edited by Sir_Fondles
25 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Jambo's thread on the subject being closed, and as I dont want to open again another one, I post this here.

Another guy who had a "disapointing" information when extending his retirement visa.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2019/10/return-to-from-farangland-part-8/

Had to read the info a couple of times, firstly to get passed the digs at other embassies.

Seemed nothing new as Thai immigration just want to see the required pension actually in his Thai bank book and not on some piece of paper issued by his embassy. He admits he doesn't transfer all his pension from overseas but uses an ATM card to withdraw funds for his needs.

I found it odd he also thinks opening a bank account in Thailand is difficult especially as he lives in Thailand on a retirement extension...

Just seemed like a grumpy old guy, shocked he is Canadian, read more like a whining Brit.....

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Had to read the info a couple of times, firstly to get passed the digs at other embassies.

Seemed nothing new as Thai immigration just want to see the required pension actually in his Thai bank book and not on some piece of paper issued by his embassy. He admits he doesn't transfer all his pension from overseas but uses an ATM card to withdraw funds for his needs.

I found it odd he also thinks opening a bank account in Thailand is difficult especially as he lives in Thailand on a retirement extension...

Just seemed like a grumpy old guy, shocked he is Canadian, read more like a whining Brit.....

Mmmm,

See my experience trying to open an account in LOS..

Immigration playing on "proof of income" and "transfer in Thai bank" . Doesn't make a difference how the money is withdrawn (ATM),its spend in the Thai economy at the end.

Clearly immigration is "weeding out" all cases they dont like, and use all possible arguments at their disposition for this.

Maybe not grumpy, simply pissed off with all this stupidity ? I would be...

Just posted for info.

Mmmm,
Immigration playing on "proof of income" and "transfer in Thai bank" . Doesn't make a difference how the money is withdrawn (ATM),its spend in the Thai economy at the end.
Clearly immigration is "weeding out" all cases they dont like, and use all possible arguments at their disposition for this.
Just posted for info.

The embassy has no way to check the actual income exists, the Thai's know this hence they want to see the transfer into a Thai bank...seems reasonable to me.

Old matey should use an agent!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Mmmm,

Just posted for info.

I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand, in the 3 cities I have lived and on each occasion I had the correct information/documentation as well as the right as per the bank's requirements. Was dealt with professionally and courteously.

Weeding out undesirables is correct but procedures in place should, I agree, allow those with the right credentials to feel welcome and valued, that is not always the case but that is just Thailand for you. 

The guy may spend up to and above the pension (in the bank) requirements by using an ATM but how do immigration know that, they just want to see enough money (as per their requirements) in a Thai bank book.  As much as the guy complaining puts 65000 baht of his pension into the Thai economy there are many who put far less, I am sure there are those who earn 65000 (or less) from their pension overseas but either don't (or can't) transfer that money into Thailand.

Is it stupidity or just tightening of rules, new requirements etc that are just irking guys who are used to being able to circumvent previous rules/loopholes.

Edited by Horizondave
3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

It does make a difference as the guy drawing money out through an ATM could be recycling it (*) to make it look as if he has the required funds to stay here when he may not have.  Immigration clearly want to ensure long stayers can support themselves which seems like a good idea, just this guy doesn't understand the ins and outs of it.

He may well get to stay next year with his affidavit despite what he's been told, but if Canadian ones don't require suitable proof (not just a declaration or easily fabricated proofs which embassy staff cannot possibly validate all of) then he's undesirable in the eyes of Thailand, just as skint foreigners aren't wanted in mine or your home countries.

* - money transferred in could also be recycled but at least one route is being closed off here.

52 minutes ago, KWA said:

It does make a difference as the guy drawing money out through an ATM could be recycling it (*) to make it look as if he has the required funds to stay here when he may not have.  Immigration clearly want to ensure long stayers can support themselves which seems like a good idea, just this guy doesn't understand the ins and outs of it.

He may well get to stay next year with his affidavit despite what he's been told, but if Canadian ones don't require suitable proof (not just a declaration or easily fabricated proofs which embassy staff cannot possibly validate all of) then he's undesirable in the eyes of Thailand, just as skint foreigners aren't wanted in mine or your home countries.

* - money transferred in could also be recycled but at least one route is being closed off here.

Totally concur.

I am also shocked that the immigration department hasn't raised the age limit for retirement above 50 as this is actually quite low an age to retire in reality. I always put the 800,000 baht in the bank as I was not in receipt of a pension;  I lived in Thailand from 2003 when I was 48 and for the first 2 years I had a yearly visa by using accounts from the company that allowed me to purchase my house. At 50 I placed the 800000 baht in the bank for when needed. 

I would be interested in knowing how many people receive retirement status based on pension or money in bank and as to what ages represent those ways of gaining the right to stay.

As many have said a lump sum would be the most beneficial way to keep immigration happy especially for those who do not hold pensions or receive less per month than the pension route requires.

@Horizondave,

Minimum age here for retirement visa is 55.

I think that maybe those countries put the barrier rather low in order to attract more well off pensioners, or simply to give a wide tolerance ?

I mean, official retirement age in the west is usually 60+ , if not 65. Putting the barrier at 60 would reduce a lot the number of eligible candidates. 

And more over, the people who retire very early are usually the ones that are rather well off !  The average factory worker retiring at 65 with a minimal pension is certainly not the clientele that they want to attract ?

16 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I would be interested in knowing how many people receive retirement status based on pension or money in bank and as to what ages represent those ways of gaining the right to stay.

As many have said a lump sum would be the most beneficial way to keep immigration happy especially for those who do not hold pensions or receive less per month than the pension route requires.

It has been three months now since expats from the UK  have had to renew retirement visa's without the support of a letter from the British Embassy.

Surely somebody from the UK has applied to renew on the income basis during this period?

It would be useful to hear their experience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
10 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

@Horizondave,

Minimum age here for retirement visa is 55.

I think that maybe those countries put the barrier rather low in order to attract more well off pensioners, or simply to give a wide tolerance ?

I mean, official retirement age in the west is usually 60+ , if not 65. Putting the barrier at 60 would reduce a lot the number of eligible candidates. 

And more over, the people who retire very early are usually the ones that are rather well off !  The average factory worker retiring at 65 with a minimal pension is certainly not the clientele that they want to attract ?

Kind of why I was wondering what the actual stats/ratio was.

It is a money stream for immigration though so maybe raising the age above 50 would curtail their departmental income somewhat.

If they really don't want foreigners here then they could up the age limit tomorrow. I rather think they are happy to have people in Thailand retiring/residing as long as they pay their way and adhere to the rules.

There are many undesirables who are rich just as there are many who are skint.

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

There are many undesirables who are rich just as there are many who are skint

The rich ones are not a problem for immigration, on the contrary....

The skint ones are just a pain, moaning and nothing to extract from them ! 

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

It has been three months now since expats from the UK  have had to renew retirement visa's without the support of a letter from the British Embassy.

Surely somebody from the UK has applied to renew on the income basis during this period?

It would be useful to hear their experience.

It would also be interesting to know how much extra business the agents have picked up.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Dave, it's not easy opening a bank account in Thailand, I was knocked back last time I tried. I already had one but wanted a second account. Nope, every bank refused.

Edited by farangme
1 hour ago, farangme said:

Dave, it's not easy opening a bank account in Thailand, I was knocked back last time I tried. I already had one but wanted a second account. Nope, every bank refused.

Just never had a problem Richard, just showed passport, proof of residence and smiled....seemed to work 3 times for me.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

The rich ones are not a problem for immigration, on the contrary....

The skint ones are just a pain, moaning and nothing to extract from them ! 

Neither are really a problem as long as they both adhere to the immigration laws and stay on the right side of them. Immigration shouldn't be extracting anymore from a rich one than they could from a skint one, maybe the agents used though are extracting some money but if the skint ones can't pay they will just go home.

I don't think having money stops people from moaning either but maybe we don't run around in those circles as much.

You have a penchant for moaning at Aussies in Indonesia and everything Thai so are you skint lol.

47 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Depositing 800/400K in a Thai bank and your visa extension is a doddle, no opportunity for them to find a fictitous (sp) reason to relieve you of a donation lol

It was not a doddle for me because I was ignorant of the fact that the deposit could not be in joint names.

So my fault EXCEPT this last time would have been three consecutive years that they approved  my application for renewal with the bank deposit in joint names. Last year they just asked additionally for a copy of our marriage certificate which they then waived as my wife's ID card showed her surname as her married name. I even checked 10 days before applying for the current renewal of the visa did they still want to see a copy of the marriage certificate?

The answer I was given was " Yes, if account is in joint names." That very same person in Immigration, 10 days later, declined to accept my application because the account was in joint names.

• Who's Online (See full list)