What are you reading?

Al McReady

266315.jpg

Six months after her husband's sudden death, Leonora Galloway sets off for a holiday in Paris with her daughter Penelope. At last the time has come when secrets can be shared and explanations begin... Their journey starts with an unscheduled stop at the imposing Thiepval Memorial to the dead of the Battle of the Somme near Amiens.

Amongst those commemorated is Leonora's father. The date of his death is recorded as 30th April, 1916. But Leonora wasn't born until 14th March 1917.

Penelope at once supposes a simple wartime illegitimacy as the clue to her mother's unhappy childhood and the family's sundered connections with her aristocratic heritage, about which she has always known so little. But nothing could have prepared her, or the reader, for the extraordinary story that is about to unfold.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/266315.In_Pale_Battalions

• Like 1

54747051._SY475_.jpg

Book 31

An off-duty Coast Guardsman is fishing with his family when he calls in some suspicious behavior from a nearby boat. It's a snazzy craft, slick and outfitted with extra horsepower, and is zipping along until it slows to pick up a surfaced diver . . . a diver who was apparently alone, without his own boat, in the middle of the ocean. None of it makes sense unless there's something hinky going on, and his hunch is proved right when all three Guardsmen who come out to investigate are shot and killed.

They're federal officers killed on the job, which means the case is the FBI's turf. When the FBI's investigation stalls out, they call in Lucas Davenport. And when his case turns lethal, Davenport will need to bring in every asset he can claim, including a detective with a fundamentally criminal mind: Virgil Flowers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059308702X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bsio-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=059308702X

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Literally just finished this- excellent read.

image.png

Thanks for reminding about Walter Mosley. I have enjoyed all his Easy Rawlins books and now I see there is a new one out. Blood Grove. I will have to chase it down.

1 hour ago, andycoll said:

Thanks for reminding about Walter Mosley. I have enjoyed all his Easy Rawlins books and now I see there is a new one out. Blood Grove. I will have to chase it down.

They are a brilliant read. I've been getting lazy in recent months going back to the old favourites of mine. 

Impressed by all the authors you are checking out👍