What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 1/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, galenkia said:

Started this earlier. 

The author visits old abandoned places and examines how they have evolved into things like nature haven's etc. Interesting read, and recommend by the sales assistant in Waterstones when he saw me pick it up as he has read it himself. 

41bwvFAmNqL.jpg

Saw this old homestead just off the California coast earlier in the week...long abandoned to the birds and sea mammals.

20220110-IMG_1803.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Saw this old homestead just off the California coast earlier in the week...long abandoned to the birds and sea mammals.

20220110-IMG_1803.jpg

I was curious where this was and found it doing an image search. Año Nuevo Island. Interesting history. Was once part of a peninsula until currents washed away land and cut it off from the mainland.

aerial.jpg

• Great Info 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I was curious where this was and found it doing an image search. Año Nuevo Island. Interesting history. Was once part of a peninsula until currents washed away land and cut it off from the mainland.

aerial.jpg

Yeah...went out there with my daughter's school field trip this past week. Weather was great. Lots of elephant seals and sea lions.

20220110-IMG_1805.jpg

• Like 2

A Farewell to Calm: The New Normal Survival Guide by John Crace

?dm=FBC3RQMY

It's now becoming easier and easier to predict government policy.

Just listen to what the prime minister said in the morning and the opposite is likely to be true come the middle of the afternoon.

Throughout another year of bluster and bedlam in Westminster, John Crace's brilliantly acerbic political sketches have once more provided the nation with a much-needed injection of humour.In

A Farewell to Calm, Crace introduces an infectiously funny selection of his finest pieces from 2020-21, taking in everything from a summer of unfathomable U-turns to Christmas COVID confusion and from lockdown-lifting to Brexit blithering.

Led by Boris' poundshop Churchill tribute act and featuring a cast of everyone's least favourite pantomime villains, from Classic Dom Cummings to Door Matt Hancock, the end result is a brilliantly entertaining chronicle of another tumultuous year on these benighted islands.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

That reviews very well. Is it recommended to read the first in the series Box 88 to fully appreciate this?

Truthfully I wouldn't recommend this book. I am 150 pages in and as I have 6 more books waiting to be read I am contemplating giving it the flick and moving on. I will give it one more chance tonight but it better improve. 

4 hours ago, andycoll said:

Truthfully I wouldn't recommend this book. I am 150 pages in and as I have 6 more books waiting to be read I am contemplating giving it the flick and moving on. I will give it one more chance tonight but it better improve. 

Thanks I jumped the gun sadly. Noticed Box 88 in my local charity shop yesterday afternoon and snapped it up.

Only cost around 100 baht so no deal breaker!! All my books go back to them, some faster than others😀

I'm absolutely loving the first 100 pages of A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie that you recommended. A genre I wouldn't naturally have gone for so you've plenty of credit in the bank with me!

:default_cheers:

• Like 1

51yVXa-sMeL.jpg

Very interesting to read it from the German perspective, especially how the rumours that are spread can effect morale of the troops along with the sheer hardships they faced.

The Russian Infantry were cut down with shocking efficiency, but they just kept on coming. Once I'm done with it, I'll happily post it to any boardies in the UK who'd like a look 🙂

Edited by Butch