F1

Stillearly

20 minutes ago, fygjam said:

“we were told suddenly during the race that track limits were imposed — and that is what won us the race today

Toto Wolff

Only after Lewis had ALL 4 WHEELS over the white lines on turn 4 on 8( or was it 9 times) separate occasions!!! 

Never like races to be decided like this, I like it to be settled on track but from article 27.3 of the sporting regulations:

This states that drivers "may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason" and that if they did so, they may rejoin it "without gaining any lasting advantage".  It adds that the race director has the discretion to ask the driver "to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track".

On that basis, then, it's clear why Verstappen was dealt his unfortunate hand - he had gone off the track, and gained a place by doing so. That's not allowed in the rules. It was a clear advantage which he had then been told to give back.

Red Bull were quick to advise Verstappen to relinquish the place and to his credit he complied immediately. I was very impressed with his attitude, no toys thrown out of pram here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Never like races to be decided like this, I like it to be settled on track but from article 27.3 of the sporting regulations:

This states that drivers "may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason" and that if they did so, they may rejoin it "without gaining any lasting advantage".  It adds that the race director has the discretion to ask the driver "to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track".

On that basis, then, it's clear why Verstappen was dealt his unfortunate hand - he had gone off the track, and gained a place by doing so. That's not allowed in the rules. It was a clear advantage which he had then been told to give back.

Red Bull were quick to advise Verstappen to relinquish the place and to his credit he complied immediately. I was very impressed with his attitude, no toys thrown out of pram here.

Yes, it was handled very well and clearly he only got past because he had too much speed to control the car within track limits.

Where I have a small issue is that track control changed the rules mid race and it didn't until that point have any safety implications. In fact they initially changed the rules from qualifying to the actual race, then recinded it becaause some drivers weren't aware of the change and Lewis was benefitting from it.

I have seen them appear to penalise Lewis in the past but on this occasion in doing so it back fired because he won the race because of the change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

So, it now seems that Lewis Hamilton had exceeded track limits at turn 4 at least 29 TIMES, and that's only up to the point where his race engineer warned him to stopping that!!!!! Every time he exceeded at that turn he gained a speed and time advantage by doing this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/mf68vy/lewis_crossed_turn_4_at_least_29_times/

Yes, but at that time it was legal, not his fault that others didn't do it.

Edited by boydeste

10 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Yes, but at that time it was legal, not his fault that others didn't do it.

True, but to be able to gain an advantage for over 29 laps, and then for Max to do it once and be penalised for it, isn't really sporting!

3 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

True, but to be able to gain an advantage for over 29 laps, and then for Max to do it once and be penalised for it, isn't really sporting!

Well they shouldn't of changed the rules to stop LEWIS from doing it then. Max was free to do the same and infact did exactly that to over take him.

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Verstappen was penalised for gaining a place by going off track, not quite the same thing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

That last lap in Baku was mental .... 🙂 

Yes, who could have predicted any of that

Feel really sorry for Verstappen who had a near perfect race, to have had a high speed puncture so near to the end of the race. 

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes, who could have predicted any of that

Feel really sorry for Verstappen who had a near perfect race, to have had a high speed puncture so near to the end of the race. 

Pirelli in the spot light again and rightly so!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, biggles said:

Kind of poetic justice that after Verstappens puncture Hamilton ended up no better off in the championship race

I was thinking the same.His brakes were smoking at the final restart and he was fired up to take the lead. Perez fended him off causing him to make a mistake that cost him the race. Was nice to see Vettel back on the podium after such a long absence of success. A pretty dismal weekend for Mercedes as Bottas continues to under perform. Hamilton had a slow 4.2 second Pitstop as well as well as Bottas having to retire in the last race due to a seized wheel nut. 

I wonder whether Toto will keep him in the team for the whole of 2021 Season? 

As another poster pointed out, Pirelli have a bit of explaining to do. 

It's going to be a great season and nice to see some of the midfield teams and drivers catching up. 

Red Bull look very strong this season and George Russell might be licking his lips in the sidelines hoping for a drive with Mercedes, if not this season but 2022

• 2 weeks later...