F1

Stillearly

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Cracking finish to the GP 🌧️

Norris could have won if he had not made wrong tyre decision when the rain came before the last 3 laps. 

Max did well to get 2nd place after starting at the back of the grid. Great race though. Alonso had a good drive, I thought 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, just watched a very interesting investigative show here in Montreal. They were talking about the Pandora Papers, and specifically the financial affairs and tax avoidance of one Jacques Villeneuve. 

Now I’m not naive enough to think he is the only celebrity who ever utilized offshore tax havens, but still….What an eye opener. It starts with him attending a Swiss boarding school, where his classmate became his close friend and lifelong financial advisor who managed all the money. Did a Wiki, and do I feel poor…..tuition is 150K CHF/year, or $202K CAD. Basically the cutoff to make the top 1% of earners in my country, is what tuition costs at that school in the Alps

He decided to come back to Canada for a bit, opening a three storey restaurant/club in Montreal and embracing his local celebrity status. What pisses me off though, is he declared income as low as $3,000 a year, even claiming a provincial tax credit meant for the impoverished. This for a man who had just finished a career with yearly salaries of $20M plus endorsements 

Was always a big fan of Jacques, we grew up about 15 minutes from each other, and my Dad was a huge fan of his Dad, who met a tragic end in F1. But seeing the greed that exists among the elite, when so many people struggle daily just to eat…it’s hard to be a fan of that 

image.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

What pisses me off though, is he declared in ones as low as $3,000 a year, even claiming a provincial tax credit meant for the impoverished. This for a man who had just finished a career with yearly salaries of $20M plus endorsements 

But seeing the greed that exists among the elite, when so many people struggle daily just to eat…it’s hard to be a fan of that 

"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes." - Leona Helmsley

Leona Helmsley will always be remembered for one of the most arrogant statements ever uttered: "We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes." A touching sentiment from the New York hotel tycoon widely dubbed the "Queen of Mean" but not one shared by a jury of her peers. In 1989 Helmsley received 16 years in prison for a wide variety of tax offenses resulting in several million dollars owed. And in a fitting bit of chronology, the judge ordered her prison sentence to start on April 15 — Tax Day!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Fantastic drive & how come Verstappen got away with driving him off the track?

Looked dodgy to me , but stewards thought ok .. 

to win though after all those penalties, made for a brilliant race 

wish I was there ... 🇧🇷  Maybe next year 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Looked dodgy to me , but stewards thought ok .. 

to win though after all those penalties, made for a brilliant race 

wish I was there ... 🇧🇷  Maybe next year 

Hamilton's car was significantly faster in a straight line than the rest of the pack with that new engine. It's going to be very tight for the last three races between him and Verstappen. Wondering what Red Bull can pull out of the hate for Qatar. Great race though, I agree.Looking forward to next week. 

17 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Fantastic drive & how come Verstappen got away with driving him off the track?

Also, how come Red Bull was reported to change the rear wing elements when the car was in parc ferme but Mercedes car was disqualified earlier.

I have my suspicions as o which team is favoured.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Just watched it.

WOW, WOW, WOW.

Incredible performance from Hamilton

Hope you managed to avoid seeing the result first.

I watched last night on Ch4, I take great care when reading forums or notifications on my phone.

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

Hope you managed to avoid seeing the result first.

I watched last night on Ch4, I take great care when reading forums or notifications on my phone.

I am pretty good of hiding away from the result, but because I spent all morning sorting out my Thai insurance and applying for the Thai pass, I came across a page on FB telling me that Lewis had won.

I had watched the sprint yeaterday and couldn't imaging him winning, so was still quite excited to see how he managed to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw some highlights, WTF was with Bottas almost getting clipped in qualifying? Anyway, my heart raced a few times, to maintain top speed they basically come inches from the walls, doesn’t look like too many soft shoulders on that track. 

Beautiful spot at night though, those petrol billions sure can buy some nice stuff. Wonder if Bieber pulled out of his concert, locals down here 🇨🇦 were pressuring him to do so over Saudis’ human rights. Oh well, I wouldn’t say no to $5m for a day’s pay either

8CFEEA5D-5E08-42CD-84C1-37B26BFB9F9C.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

7 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Just saw some highlights, WTF was with Bottas almost getting clipped in qualifying? Anyway, my heart raced a few times, to maintain top speed they basically come inches from the walls, doesn’t look like too many soft shoulders on that track. 

Beautiful spot at night though, those petrol billions sure can buy some nice stuff. Wonder if Bieber pulled out of his concert, locals down here 🇨🇦 were pressuring him to do so over Saudis’ human rights. Oh well, I wouldn’t say no to $5m for a day’s pay either

8CFEEA5D-5E08-42CD-84C1-37B26BFB9F9C.jpeg

Yes, when you ride onboard with these guys you start to appreciate how close to the edge they are running, great save my Lewis when his car lost grip in the bend.