What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Sounds Chinese but I presume Yuengling is a place in US? Interesting as some US beers are really good especially the real ale types.  I have drunk quite a few at Wetherspoon and they occasionally get some American brew-masters to prepare a special brew for their festivals. 

Yuengling is an Anglicization of the family name of the owners, who are of German extraction.  AFAIK it's still family owned.  (Consulted Wikipedia for that BTW.)

The reputation of American beers as "effin' close to water" is no longer well deserved, although I realize that it's perpetuated by the mass-produced bilge water most people outside the US know.  The US now has a vibrant brewing culture, and virtually every type of malt beverage is brewed and readily available here.  There are brewpubs and microbreweries all over the place, many producing both traditional and very avant-garde brews.  Most micro- and boutique brews are produced in quantities  that are far too small for the brewers to consider exporting them.

Sadly, my area has been overrun with what are popularly called "IPAs".  I say "sadly" because, after a reasonable start, there emerged a sort of "hops arms race", with brewers of IPAs competing for the title "beer that tastes most like battery acid".  These "IPAs", which bear little resemblance to the India pale ales I remember, they're bitter, astringent and piney-tasting, very unpleasant.  And they're ubiquitous, having crowded actual good brews like Bass Ale out of the taproom entirely.

You'll have to come here if you want to sample the American beer culture, and it would be worth the trip.  To see me, the beer would be a bonus.  :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Yuengling is an Anglicization of the family name of the owners, who are of German extraction.  AFAIK it's still family owned.  (Consulted Wikipedia for that BTW.)

The reputation of American beers as "effin' close to water" is no longer well deserved, although I realize that it's perpetuated by the mass-produced bilge water most people outside the US know.  The US now has a vibrant brewing culture, and virtually every type of malt beverage is brewed and readily available here.  There are brewpubs and microbreweries all over the place, many producing both traditional and very avant-garde brews.  Most micro- and boutique brews are produced in quantities  that are far too small for the brewers to consider exporting them.

Sadly, my area has been overrun with what are popularly called "IPAs".  I say "sadly" because, after a reasonable start, there emerged a sort of "hops arms race", with brewers of IPAs competing for the title "beer that tastes most like battery acid".  These "IPAs", which bear little resemblance to the India pale ales I remember, they're bitter, astringent and piney-tasting, very unpleasant.  And they're ubiquitous, having crowded actual good brews like Bass Ale out of the taproom entirely.

You'll have to come here if you want to sample the American beer culture, and it would be worth the trip.  To see me, the beer would be a bonus.  :D

I did a few craft beer places in Denver back in 2001, really enjoyed it.  Obviously another time your company would be the added bonus but maybe nearer you and not in Denver.

• 2 weeks later...