What are you driving now?

KhunDon

i have a Nissan Terra 2.4 4WD - lovely motor - cost 1.3mil, paid for when first came out. Have had 30k motoring trouble free (touch wood) -

My only complaint is the infotainment system. It is a 2015 model from Kenwood and struggles with connectivity via the usb cable (constantly disconnects) - has been in multiple times to the garage who can only tell  me that the power from the unit to the usb is only 1a so cannot support more modern phones. I will eventually replace this with a more modern head unit capable of connectivity to an iPhone via Airplay.

i get around 700-750kms out of a full tank (when i drive to Uttaradit from Pattaya i need to refill the next drive).

Its a changeable drive - converting from 4wd to 2wd (rear) it is a great drive - have been up 20+ degree slopes on 4wd and its chewed them up no problem 🙂 

I live in Singapore so all car prices are skewed and sound wrong .

Currently drive a KIA Sorento. I have a year left before I have to scrap my car.10Y certificate of entitlement to keep a car on the road here .Looking for a new car.Thinking either  BMW X5 or Jaguar Xpace .Price  is stupid  ,but get some back after 10yrs.Will do on the never never at virtually zero cost.Owning a car here is effectively  a  10yr lease anyways 

• Surprised 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Just picked up a new old brick for a song...'93 400E

mini-20210130_141925.jpg

mini-20210130_141934.jpg

It's probably a good thing I don't live in California, I've spent enough money on cars in my lifetime as it is but down there I'd probably be in real trouble, lol...nice motor. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, maipenrai said:

This thread's been dormant for too long.

I just got my 2003 BMW 330xi back from my old friend's autobody shop the other day - I sold him one of my motorcycles and part of the deal was some bodywork on the car, but he  talked me into giving it a complete paint job for a little extra cash so here is the result:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage-2.jpg

You done well to drive that in the snow, my recent 530D was like a giant sledge in the snow.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:44 PM, boydeste said:

You done well to drive that in the snow, my recent 530D was like a giant sledge in the snow.

My last 2 cars have been big engine RWD Mercs & if there's any snow around I use the wife's Nissan Note.Some years ago I was working & staying in digs in Southend & woke up to about a foot of snow.my car was parked facing up a hill & it took ages to turn it around,no way would it go up.In the end I blocked the road & a few guys who I'd stopped helped push me around.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, boydeste said:

Generally I don't drive it in the winter at all, although it has all wheel drive and has decent traction, because if anything is going to break or otherwise f** up, it will usually happen in the cold - just too much plastic and electronics in today's vehicles. Also most of the secondary roads are really rough from packed, ungraded snow and sporty cars ride worse than pickups in these conditions, never mind the pea gravel they spread on the slippery roads that is hell on windshields.  My friend's shop is only about two km from my house on good roads all the way and he kept it in his shop until I picked it up so the ride home was easy and it is now parked for the rest of the winter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

My last 2 cars have been big engine RWD Mercs & if there's any snow around I use the wife's Nissan Note.Some years ago I was working & staying in digs in Southend & woke up to about a foot of snow.my car was parked facing up a hill & it took ages to turn it around,no way would it go up.In the end I blocked the road & a few guys who I'd stopped helped push me around.

Yes, without a bunch of weight in the trunk or proper tires, RWD vehicles don't work that well in snow - I've got winter tires and a couple of hundred pounds of weight in the back of my Ford Ranger pickup...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, without a bunch of weight in the trunk or proper tires, RWD vehicles don't work that well in snow - I've got winter tires and a couple of hundred pounds of weight in the back of my Ford Ranger pickup...

When I had to use it in winter I used to put around 8 old car batteries in the boot for extra weight. I stilll have a set of wheel covers that I bought just incase I got stranded in the snow.

IMG_20210214_44361.jpg

IMG_20210214_50243.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Toyota Fortuner new in 2014.  Approaching 80,000km with nothing but normal maintenance every 10K.  We replaced the battery on the 60K check up. 

We also have a 125cc Honda up at the country house for around the village.  And a self propelled walk behind troy-bilt brigs and stratton mulching mower, does that count?

We have a Nissan Terra - 4wd 2.3L - excellent car - feel very safe on the roads in Thailand , as great upright 4x4 with lots of on-road presence. Bought on a lease agreement at 2.3% over 4 years and will  finish it off next year. Excellent off-road capability - allows us to go up into the mountains around Uttaradit to see our friends for the evening. 

About to buy a new motorbike for around town travel - have always resisted it, as it was our plan to move up north before covid hit - but now stuck in Patts and probably will be for a couple of years. I've always been a fan of trial bike style motorbikes (dont like the crouched down seating position of racing style bikes) so I'm still looking for the motor bike i want :).

I also have a mountain bike - Specialized SWORKS Epic FSR - lovely bike - but wasted on the roads around here (but when we move to Uttaradit will be ok :))...Bike is called Bessie 🙂 (wife says its my mia noi 🙂 🙂 :))

IMG_6575.jpg

IMG_6544.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Even though the Fortuner I mentioned above was running great, I thought seven years was long enough.  Plus I liked the upgraded  features and fuel efficiency of the new models.  So I just got the current year model - fortunately just ahead of Toyota's shutting down their factories in Thailand due to parts shortages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tko said:

Even though the Fortuner I mentioned above was running great, I thought seven years was long enough.  Plus I liked the upgraded  features and fuel efficiency of the new models.  So I just got the current year model - fortunately just ahead of Toyota's shutting down their factories in Thailand due to parts shortages.

Is your new Fort the Legender ? I've had my Fort for over 14 years now from new, its done 184K and i absolutely love it. Like you i've often thought about changing it for a newer model but just have'nt liked the look of the new models up until now that the Legender has arrived, we'll see........

My old Fort has a 6 slot CD player and 2 or 4 wheel drive whereas the newer models only have a single CD player and permanent AWD, i like what i've got lol

P1000698.JPG

• Like 2

I’m driving my 2015 Chevy Cruze.  It has a 2 liter Diesel engine, which gives me up to 65 miles per gallon on the highway.  It can make it from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon on one tank.  This picture was one the way home from Denver, which I’ve done several times in a full days drive.  This trip took 3 days, with road closures.  I had to learn to put on tire chains on the side of the road. Luckily, the company picked up the extra hotel rooms and kept the per diem coming.

It’s been a good car, the only issue I had is when I bought a jug of diesel exhaust fluid from AutoZone and it turned out someone had bought it before and used it before refilling it with water and getting a refund.  A scumbag move but not as bad as AutoZone.  The cashier was able to look up and see the refund, but they wouldn’t even refund the purchase price, not to mention the $100 in repairs to my emissions system.

It’s probably going to be my last US car.  I’m thinking of a Fortuner or Camry when I move to Thailand.

8A9A6AF4-2535-49DD-9E79-17101C41942A.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Is your new Fort the Legender ? I've had my Fort for over 14 years now from new, its done 184K and i absolutely love it. Like you i've often thought about changing it for a newer model but just have'nt liked the look of the new models up until now that the Legender has arrived, we'll see........

My old Fort has a 6 slot CD player and 2 or 4 wheel drive whereas the newer models only have a single CD player and permanent AWD, i like what i've got lol

P1000698.JPG

One trim level below Legender.  They still have a 4WD option.  I went AWD.  Now they don't have CD players at all.  That doesn't bother us much, as on the old one we used the CD player once to see that it worked, then streamed playlists or radio stations from our phones over blue tooth.

New features I like: Front, side and rear parking sensors with audible warnings and animations on the rear camera view.  Electric tailgate open/close.  The interior and exterior lighting is better. A 220VAC socket in the center console.  Their navigation system has been replaced with android auto (or the apple version) which is a lot better with real-time traffic info, etc.

They kept the same cruise control which is fine on our long trips.  They got rid of the useless requirement to select a driver when you started the car.  It didn't seem to do anything.  I had a Ford back in the US that based on which key fob unlocked the truck would adjust the front seats, the mirrors, and connect to the correct cell phone.  I wish Toyota had that.

Finally the ride and steering seem a bit smoother.

All that said my last one was an excellent vehicle, and I only traded up just because I wanted to.

ToyotaHome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, tko said:

One trim level below Legender.  They still have a 4WD option.  I went AWD.  Now they don't have CD players at all.  That doesn't bother us much, as on the old one we used the CD player once to see that it worked, then streamed playlists or radio stations from our phones over blue tooth.

New features I like: Front, side and rear parking sensors with audible warnings and animations on the rear camera view.  Electric tailgate open/close.  The interior and exterior lighting is better. A 220VAC socket in the center console.  Their navigation system has been replaced with android auto (or the apple version) which is a lot better with real-time traffic info, etc.

They kept the same cruise control which is fine on our long trips.  They got rid of the useless requirement to select a driver when you started the car.  It didn't seem to do anything.  I had a Ford back in the US that based on which key fob unlocked the truck would adjust the front seats, the mirrors, and connect to the correct cell phone.  I wish Toyota had that.

Finally the ride and steering seem a bit smoother.

All that said my last one was an excellent vehicle, and I only traded up just because I wanted to.

ToyotaHome.jpg

I like, well done on your purchase. I still gotta use my CD's for ICE as i'm com dino no 1 and only use my S/P for calls/sms, looks like i'm gonna have a problem in future, my info was based on the last time i had an in-depth look at a new Fort at my local dealer.

The extent of the cars features you describe looks to have gone on leaps and bounds from my old model, not surprising ehh after 14 years lol.

• Like 1

I dunno, call me a dinosaur but to me "features" nowadays simply mean "electronic gimmickry" - more stuff to go wrong, resulting in more trips back to the dealer for repairs and god help you when the warranty runs out and all of those little electronic brains start failing (probably as planned by the manufacturer, lol) - I like simple vehicles that I can mostly maintain myself and will be driving them for as long as I can still obtain parts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/31/2021 at 12:23 AM, maipenrai said:

I dunno, call me a dinosaur but to me "features" nowadays simply mean "electronic gimmickry" - more stuff to go wrong, resulting in more trips back to the dealer for repairs and god help you when the warranty runs out and all of those little electronic brains start failing (probably as planned by the manufacturer, lol) - I like simple vehicles that I can mostly maintain myself and will be driving them for as long as I can still obtain parts. 

Well I can't say that my new one will do as well, as I just passed 100km on the odometer yesterday.  But my last Fortuner did seven years and over 90,000km with only regular service, replaced wiper blades at five years, and a replaced battery at six years, both were caught prior to failure during regular service.  I probably would've needed new tires soon if I hadn't traded it in.  Vehicles are a lot more reliable these days.

Edit: The warranty on the "gimmicks" ran out at three years and on the drive train at five years.  Poor planning by the manufacturer I guess.

Edited by tko
  • Thumbs Up 1