Cricket

coxyhog

• 3 weeks later...

If it ain't broke then don't fuk around with it or it will be.

‘This is s***’: Backlash over plan to change cricket wickets to ‘outs’

England cricket officials are scrapping the term wickets in an attempt to get more fans through the gates — and it’s not gone down well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/04/12/not-cricket-wickets-renamed-outs-hundred/?utm_content=cricket&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618242262

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

If it ain't broke then don't fuk around with it or it will be.

‘This is s***’: Backlash over plan to change cricket wickets to ‘outs’

England cricket officials are scrapping the term wickets in an attempt to get more fans through the gates — and it’s not gone down well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/04/12/not-cricket-wickets-renamed-outs-hundred/?utm_content=cricket&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618242262

Makes sense though to be fair........

14 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Makes sense though to be fair........

And what next

Over - a series of 6 consecutive balls bowled (thrown, tossed, chuck, pitched) provided there are no illegal deliveries (???) by the bowler (thrower, tosser, chucker, pitcher).

Or worse still - a hexball.

18 minutes ago, fygjam said:

And what next

Over - a series of 6 consecutive balls bowled (thrown, tossed, chuck, pitched) provided there are no illegal deliveries (???) by the bowler (thrower, tosser, chucker, pitcher).

Or worse still - a hexball.

That’s the sort of response I would expect from an old fart. Honestly why does it matter? If it makes the game more appealing to the masses then go for it........old farts were whining about T20 ten years ago and that has proven to be a fantastic success.

22 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

That’s the sort of response I would expect from an old fart. Honestly why does it matter? If it makes the game more appealing to the masses then go for it........old farts were whining about T20 ten years ago and that has proven to be a fantastic success.

Well young super stud, how about renaming all the field positions as well. Fuking cancel culture all over again.

Edited by fygjam

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Well young super stud, how about renaming all the field positions as well. Fuking cancel culture all over again.

I’m not young, but I can see the positives of adapting as has already been happening with T20, VAR, day night tests etc and in other games like rugby with the various rule changes over the years to make the game more appealing. Evolve or die........

Cricket writer Jack Mendel described the plan as 'utterly, utterly
nonsensical semantic bollocks', while another writer, Glenn Moore, said
it would ultimately detract from the game.

“As a lifelong cricketer I think the idea of calling wickets ‘outs’ is
patronising and dumb. But does it make cricket more accessible?" he
queried.

“If so, should tennis do away with 15-15, love, deuce and all that sets
and games nonsense Should golf dump birdies and bogies?

“My personal view is no. The lexicon of a sport is part of what it makes
it distinctive, part, even, of its attraction. The more you learn the more
you become an insider, it is like a rewards system.

More at...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket-the-hundred-plan-change-wickets-to-outs-met-with-backlash-054733876.html

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Cricket writer Jack Mendel described the plan as 'utterly, utterly
nonsensical semantic bollocks', while another writer, Glenn Moore, said
it would ultimately detract from the game.

“As a lifelong cricketer I think the idea of calling wickets ‘outs’ is
patronising and dumb. But does it make cricket more accessible?" he
queried.

“If so, should tennis do away with 15-15, love, deuce and all that sets
and games nonsense Should golf dump birdies and bogies?

“My personal view is no. The lexicon of a sport is part of what it makes
it distinctive, part, even, of its attraction. The more you learn the more
you become an insider, it is like a rewards system.

More at...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket-the-hundred-plan-change-wickets-to-outs-met-with-backlash-054733876.html

There are plenty that said T20 would not be popular.......how wrong they were and it brought loads of new supporters to the game. The impact in India was unreal, test cricket was dying on its arse there, now look at the IPL.

Must admit I'm not a fan of changing terminology for the sake of it ... similar happening in golf , last Matchplay US tv changed the status of matches from All Square to drawn ... just seems like dumbing down .. they also refer to an eagle as a double birdie in US coverage..  maybe next they change the scoring in tennis 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sangsom said:

I’m not young, but I can see the positives of adapting as has already been happening with T20, VAR, day night tests etc and in other games like rugby with the various rule changes over the years to make the game more appealing. Evolve or die........

Agree that many changes are positive in sport but I would like to keep some things traditional like wickets, overs, birdie, Eagle etc.. 

Cricket has changed immensely since I started watching it in the mid 70s, and the white ball game was derided when first introduced, but even that has ended up second best to T20. I love the technology in cricket now like Hawkeye, ball tracking etc. When used correctly it is excellent. 

VAR should have been a revelation but all the technology in the world ain't worth a wank if its operated by Ray Charles. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow sees the start of the 2 test series England vs the Kiwis.

One thing is puzzling me,Bairstow,Buttler & a couple of others have been 'rested' because they played in the IPL....which was abandoned almost a month ago.So why ain't we playing our best team against the # 2 ranked test side in the world?

• Like 1