COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

BBC -

Large number of vaccine appointments postponed in Thailand

Copyright: Getty Images

Thailand's vaccination campaign has hit problems after at least 20 hospitals in Bangkok postponed appointments set for this week, citing delays in vaccine deliveries.

Hospitals made announcements on Facebook, while Bangkok's vaccination booking app sent messages stating that appointments after Tuesday would be delayed.

"There may have been confusion because private hospitals did not check with the Bangkok administration," Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said.

Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said there had been "technical errors" in delivery of vaccines.

A total of 1.6 million people out of 66 million are fully vaccinated in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

BBC -

Large number of vaccine appointments postponed in Thailand

Copyright: Getty Images

Thailand's vaccination campaign has hit problems after at least 20 hospitals in Bangkok postponed appointments set for this week, citing delays in vaccine deliveries.

Hospitals made announcements on Facebook, while Bangkok's vaccination booking app sent messages stating that appointments after Tuesday would be delayed.

"There may have been confusion because private hospitals did not check with the Bangkok administration," Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said.

Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said there had been "technical errors" in delivery of vaccines.

A total of 1.6 million people out of 66 million are fully vaccinated in Thailand.

Is there a breakdown of those that have been vaccinated. Is it a rich list or are they vaccinating by age downwards.

Edited by Horizondave

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

Anutin is a ___________ who will blame everyone else before he takes responsibility.

So "Thai" of him.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Been reading a few things about countries such as Singapore, Taiwan etc, having a 'debate' about the future in regards to Covid. How they know they can't continue as is indefinitely, and that once they have the population vaccinated, they are going to open up and while not welcoming Covid, they accept the reality of it will come with opening up. That they will monitor things, hope it's manageable, and only use another lockdown as a very last resort, which shouldn't be needed if everyone vaccinated. 

I'd think Thailand will also go this route, if not already, but their vaccine roll out is leaving a lot to be desired. 

Can't close yourself off indefinitely, we have to learn to live with Covid, it's not going anywhere, and we have the answer re the vaccines. 

Here's hoping ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

I'd think Thailand will also go this route, if not already, but their vaccine roll out is leaving a lot to be desired.

Frankly its appalling, total confusion imo. They could'nt organise a wank in a brothel.....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Frankly its appalling, total confusion imo. They could'nt organise a wank in a brothel.....

An uncharitable person might suspect that the government are selling off the country's AZ production to the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan and keeping the proceeds for themselves, leaving only Sinovac for the locals. As Francis Urquhart used to say, "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

24 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

An uncharitable person might suspect that the government are selling off the country's AZ production to the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan and keeping the proceeds for themselves

Which ignores the fact that Oxford University which owns the intellectual property contained in the AZ vaccine require manufacturers to distribute the vaccine at cost for the duration of the pandemic as defined by the WHO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

An uncharitable person might suspect that the government are selling off the country's AZ production to the likes of Malaysia and Taiwan and keeping the proceeds for themselves, leaving only Sinovac for the locals. As Francis Urquhart used to say, "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Exactly, the plot thickens :default_party-smiley-048:

I could'nt possibly comment.PNG

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Is there a breakdown of those that have been vaccinated. Is it a rich list or are they vaccinating by age downwards.

Apparently the wife's Mother went along to the Hospital yesterday to keep her appointment for her second vaccination. She must be aged in her high 60's.

When she arrived she was told "Sorry but hospital has run out of vaccine."

The nurse told Sai that there had been a separate allocation of vaccine for "special" individuals coming along without an appointment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

40 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just wondering how the makeup of the general public splits out considering it is almost 3 x that of the over 60s. Sounds like the 'special individuals' that Jambo talks about in his post may be in that group. I am sure village health volunteers includes all the headsmen and anybody else in charge that are not necessarily volunteers.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

Which ignores the fact that Oxford University which owns the intellectual property contained in the AZ vaccine require manufacturers to distribute the vaccine at cost for the duration of the pandemic as defined by the WHO.

The AZ vaccine in Thailand is exclusively manufactured by Siam Bioscience. I take it you know who actually owns Siam Bioscience? I doubt if the prospect of Oxford University getting a bit peeved worries him unduly. Or the PM, or our very wealthy Health Minister.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Malaysia has secured a total of 79.5 million vaccines, enough to cover nearly
125 per cent of its population, including those manufactured by Britain’s
AstraZeneca and Chinese firm Sinovac.

It expects about 1.3 million Pfizer-BioNTech doses to arrive this month and in
early July, although another 2.2 million AstraZeneca doses are expected to be
delayed following supply issues at the firm’s Thai manufacturing plant.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-grants-conditional-approval-for-cansino-jj-covid-19-vaccines

12 minutes ago, Zeb said:

^^^^Love to see it happen, but so much can change in one day let alone 120 days.

Again, I want this to happen, but will believe it when it happens.

Anyone who sets a date/time beyond tomorrow lunch time is dreaming.

The only firm time is "eventually".

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Krapow said:
🔴 BREAKING: The prime minister has just said in a national television address that he aims to re-open the country within 120 days. In October he hopes to see fully vaccinated tourists to be able to arrive in #Thailand without having to do any quarantine. More details soon.

So roughly October 15th would be the 120 day mark. I would love it to be true, as I want nothing more than to enjoy the crackling of a roast pig on Christmas Eve and NYE in Pattaya. Lets all hope the government can get this vaccine implementation shifted into high gear to make it happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, Krapow said:
🔴 BREAKING: The prime minister has just said in a national television address that he aims to re-open the country within 120 days. In October he hopes to see fully vaccinated tourists to be able to arrive in #Thailand without having to do any quarantine. More details soon.

I saw this as well, it did raise a smile.

With such a low percentage of the population vaccinated, it would be a lofty goal if Thailand could hit even 50% within 3 months. However ,given the numbers and the available infrastructure I really don't think it will be anything close to that.

Someone somewhere mentioned that opening should be data driven, not date driven. Yes, the UK might well be too over cautious on this subject, but I think that giving a date 3 months ahead is just to placate the public and businesses and to buy some more time to try and fix this debacle of vaccine roll out. It still isn't enough time though.

If Thailand opens up in Oct without the numbers having been vaccinated, they'll be back to square one with lockdown and rising infections within a fortnight, and also more suffering.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Someone somewhere mentioned that opening should be data driven, not date driven. Yes, the UK might well be too over cautious on this subject, but I think that giving a date 3 months ahead is just to placate the public and businesses and to buy some more time to try and fix this debacle of vaccine roll out. It still isn't enough time though.

Daily new case numbers have gone from an average of around 2,000 a day a fortnight ago, to over 3,000 a day last week (except for one day), and today they reported 4,000 new cases. Doctors are warning that in a month or so the Indian variant is going to be a major problem in Thailand.

I have a suspicion that Prayut has been warned that some bad days lie ahead, so he's trying to capitilse on it by showing that he's on the side of the bar and hotel owners, and the tourist resorts, and is happily preparing to reopen the country in four months time. So next month, when the daily cases go through the roof and a real lockdown has to be imposed in the worst-affected areas (including, of course, Bangkok and Chonburi), he can look innocent and tell everybody who's currently pressuring him to reopen that he did his best, sorry, but matters ended up taking their own course.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1