COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

19 minutes ago, farangme said:

yeah, the situation's ever changing, too many maybes and not enough plans with hard facts and dates.

Reading through this thread comes up with so many permutations, views, false data and speculation. Facts are few and far between.

It is going to take time, it requires all nations to return to normal in terms of transport systems, freedom of travel across nations and infrastructures to service those wishing to travel out of their own nations and those wishing to venture beyond their own local areas.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knuckles said:

Which member of the Australian government actually said this?

I posted another more recent statement from the Aussie sports minister in the main covid thread. There will be no return to mainstream international tourist travel in the next 6 months at least. Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head buried in the sand.

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

If you do let me know & we can meet for a beer after.

If you can get me a ticket, i'll meet you wherever you want 👍

Hard enough to get EPL tickets at the best of times. 

Or we could go down to QPR and slap about their 'firm' :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

We have a posh "care home" near us, (it really is posh, I've been inside to look around a few years ago, when we were considering a care home for my dad) that have 59 residents and charges most of it's residents £2k a week! For that they get a bedroom and a sitting room and 3 hots a day, everything else is extra and chargeable. It's part of a group of 11, expensive care homes around the country.

Speaking to someone who works there, the company went into a hard lock down in the 3rd week of February. No new admissions and strictly no visitors. All staff have to wear full PPE and change gloves, masks and gowns between each encounter with residents. They aren't even allowed to wear their uniforms to or from work and the company gives them new uniforms each shift and the old ones are washed by the company daily.

According to him and I have  reason to disbelieve him, they have had no cases of Corona virus within their homes. They have had the "normal amount" of deaths that you would expect in those places, but nothing above the average they would normally get.

It would seem that the owners were very quick off the mark when this virus became general knowledge, putting their homes in lock down and ordering PPE in bulk, to supplement the large stock they already had in hand. That and the strict adherence to no new residents and the no visitor rule, may well have saved a lot of extra deaths from the virus.

A lot of care/nursing homes around the country are being run on very low margins, mainly because councils were paying homes the absolute minimum they could get away with and now it's coming home to roost. The danger is that whole swathes of the country will lose their care homes as many have already shut due to this virus and once shut, it's unlikely they will ever re-open. That will only mean one thing, when the elderly are admitted to hospital for medical reasons, on discharge, they will have nowhere to go.

If and when this is all over, there needs to be a hard look at social care across the whole spectrum, something that should have been done 15 years ago, but it seems subsequent governments have put off for far too long. As is usual with most things, it comes down to money, either paid by the government, or by the public in extra taxes.

My father's in one, which was locked down very quick.

Only way anyone can see if is standing outside his window. Thankfully Covid free so far.

On Newsnight last night, for the average deaths in care homes for the first 4 months it was about 1000

This year's first 4 months it's 5500.

Don't need a spreadsheet to work that one out!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

My father's in one, which was locked down very quick.

Only way anyone can see if is standing outside his window. Thankfully Covid free so far.

On Newsnight last night, for the average deaths in care homes for the first 4 months it was about 1000

This year's first 4 months it's 5500.

Don't need a spreadsheet to work that one out!

Problem being you could have locked down a Nursing Home right at the very beginning, had no visitors but it only takes just one of the staff to carry it in there unknowingly and all that hard work is gone..

Horrible 

• Like 2

Channel 4 news item on at the moment doing a piece on Chatuchack market with an NGO chappy, asking why it's not been closed, at least the live market section. Damn, they even had live vultures there for sale for eating!!!!!!

Edited by KhunDon

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Problem being you could have locked down a Nursing Home right at the very beginning, had no visitors but it only takes just one of the staff to carry it in there unknowingly and all that hard work is gone..

Horrible 

Yep!

Showed some places who's staff are living on site now, or in tents.

Stuff like that and NHS staff living in the likes of Watford's ground and many similar stories, so they don't catch or pass it on, just shows you much they are sacrificing to still treat the sick in this crisis. 

There are plenty fucking heros out there, mentally and physically what they are going through to help others, I don't care what anyone says, I certainly recognise and appreciate that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Channel 4 news item on at the moment doing a piece on Chatuchack market, with a NGO chappy, asking why it's not been closed, at least the live market section. Damn, they even had live vultures there for sale for eating!!!!!!

Seen it yea, and Klong Toey.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roomark said:

Horrible 

That's true mate, but if they have the full and correct PPE required, then at least that risk is extremely low.

Edited by KhunDon

Just now, KhunDon said:

That's true mate, but if they have the full correct and PPE required, then at least that risk is extremely low.

In the US health care workers -- doctors & nurses -- could not (& even now can not) get proper PPE gear.
Let alone nursing home workers.

Article below from 24 April.

. . .

Trump called PPE shortages 'fake news.' Health care workers say they're still a real problem.

"...hospitals, nursing homes and caregivers across the country tell POLITICO they are still struggling to obtain medical masks, gloves and gowns, undercutting Trump’s assertions..."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/26/trump-ppe-fake-news-207523

more on this:

How did the US come up so short on PPE?
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-short-ppe/story?id=70093430

'Can't expect nurses to be miracle workers': Mask, equipment shortages push nurses to brink across nation
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/11/coronavirus-nurses-reach-breaking-point-amid-ppe-face-mask-shortages/2973881001/

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Several articles of interest from WebMD.JPG.29b93c1a4875bfab8d82f4e4cbc1888e.JPG  (link to source):

WEBMD HEALTH NEWS
The Great Invader: How COVID Attacks Every Organ
By Neha Pathak, MD

April 23, 2020 -- We have underestimated and misunderstood COVID-19 since it first appeared.

And as we learn more, it’s clear that COVID-19 can be more than just a respiratory disease. It’s joined the ranks of other “great imitators” -- diseases that can look like almost any condition.
It can be a gastrointestinal disease causing only diarrhea and abdominal pain. It can cause symptoms that may be confused with a cold or the flu. It can cause pinkeye, a runny nose, loss of taste and smell, muscle aches, fatigue, diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, whole-body rashes, and areas of swelling and redness in just a few spots.

In a more severe disease, doctors have also reported people having heart rhythm problems, heart failure, kidney damage, confusion, headaches, seizures, Guillain-Barre syndrome, and fainting spells, along with new sugar control problems.

I showed this article to a friend whose 64 y.o sister has Covid-19. She has had many of the symptoms mentioned in the article.

My friend is very scientifically-minded and, FWIW, his reaction was: "The multiple tools the virus uses to evade the host's immune system suggest either evolution in action or an engineered virus".

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

If you can get me a ticket, i'll meet you wherever you want 👍

Hard enough to get EPL tickets at the best of times. 

Or we could go down to QPR and slap about their 'firm' :default_biggrin:

You need a fan ID to get a ticket.I can only get one I think.But you could apply to the ticket office for a fan ID.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:58 PM, lazarus said:

Decided to go have a look for myself. I was due for a shopping trip.
This was the beef & pork section at my local Costco Business at about 2:30 pm Monday.
Picked almost clean.

At least gas was cheap'ish.

mini-20200427_142657.jpg

More on the US food distribution problem:

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

I showed this article to a friend whose 64 y.o sister has Covid-19. She has had many of the symptoms mentioned in the article.

My friend is very scientifically-minded and, FWIW, his reaction was: "The multiple tools the virus uses to evade the host's immune system suggest either evolution in action or an engineered virus".

The key words in that article were "CAN be more......"

It is apparent that the majority who contract covid19 will show the same symptoms being high temperature and a dry cough. A very much smaller number will have no apparent symptons or one or more of the possible ones listed in the article. 

Is that surprising?

I would say absolutely not.

Look at the POSSIBLE side effects listed in the description for virtually ANY proprietory medication and almost certainly the whole same menu or one very similar will be listed as a ( CYA ) warning. That is because we humans CAN react adversely to virtually anything but the majority of us never do, just the unlucky few like your friend's sister.

Edited by Jambo

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

Be interesting to see flight prices when flying does resume. 

How can you possibly have social distancing on an aeroplane?

Leaving the central seat empty is no answer both from an airline economic viewpoint and achieving the non-infection objective.

I cannot believe I read this but one of the proposals in Thailand reintroducing (internal?) flights was leaving the last two rows empty for people who are sick.

• Sad 1