COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

On 5/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, Thai Spice said:

Well, the mask wearing mania has reached my little seaside village...

And the "religious" or "traditionnal" local police out in force, watching at every intersection...😡😡😡

Stupidities of the day :

- The resort boss being stopped in her car for not wearing a mask IN HER CAR ...FFS...😂😂😂😂 She wasn't happy . And before you ask, she is a 50y old local..

- A small restaurant with a sign "no mask, no entry"...Now FFS, how do you eat with a mask ?

The little faith I still had in human intelligence is fading fast......

Edited by fforest

58 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

The resort boss being stopped in her car for not wearing a mask IN HER CAR ...FFS...😂😂😂😂 She wasn't happy .

How stupid, and i can assure you that i won't be/have been wearing a mask when driving in MY CAR accompanied by wifey. Next they'll be telling us we gotta wear one in our homes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, misteregg said:

I have to admit that I can’t see any government propping up an airline which is a massive polluter of carbon omissions.

Especially when their target is for carbon neutral country in 2050.

However, I am still more on the optimistic and positive side of things when it comes to the tourism returning argument. I think it may be quicker than people are predicting. Either way, the bar will try to survive because I have a strong ex-pat clientele.
Lets see.

Hopefully the expat community will come out and support you mate until the tourists return. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, fforest said:

Thai Spice here is the solution to the mask problem

If you must wear a mask just wear it like this....

Its almost as good as not wearing one....Yet your still wearing the bloody thing it seems to make the people in the stores happy enough...The second I leave the store it comes off.....

♡'s tweet - "wait can we PLEASE talk about how when yoongi wears ...

Female Dentist Wearing Surgical Mask Stock Image - Image of woman ...

That's exactly the way I wear it when I am obliged to wear one. Not later than this morning when going for bread and to the supermarket with the Miss.

And I am not the only one. 

Without the Miss often I don't even bother. But when with her the problem is that you will ALWAYS have some A.H. who will make a comment to her, and I simply want to avoid that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

How stupid, and i can assure you that i won't be/have been wearing a mask when driving in MY CAR accompanied by wifey. Next they'll be telling us we gotta wear one in our homes.

The boss of the "beach cantine" told me last week that maybe from May 1st the local government will close all access to the beach.... His comments "How stupid..."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

In my neck of the woods, some kind of face covering has been mandatory since 2 weeks ago when you can't be 6 feet apart from another person. Kinda figured that has been the case in the UK. Surprised to find out that it's not.

It would seem from the UK's Prime Ministers hints that we will move to a similar situation as part of moving out of lockdown.

UK Government  is worried about the public panic buying face masks and that exacerbating the shortage of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) the UK health service has been facing. It's been a running issue in the UK for weeks (and worldwide of course) that there has not been enough PPE for front line health service staff and care workers.

The official guidance will be for face-coverings, that allows for and encourages a home-made solution, but there will for sure be a spike in public buying of medical/surgical grade PPE.

Edited by Lemondropkid

On 4/16/2020 at 2:53 AM, Evil Penevil said:

This is the one that scares me:

KBS.JPG

13 More Recovered COVID-19 Patients Test Positive Again

Write: 2020-04-09 16:48:35/Update: 2020-04-09 17:00

South Korea continues to report more cases of recovered patients being re-diagnosed with COVID-19.

Thirteen such cases were confirmed, including eleven from a senior care facility in Bonghwa, North Gyeongsang Province. This province alone has had 30 recovered coronavirus patients testing positive again as of Thursday.  

The nursing home in Bonghwa was earlier shut down due to a cluster outbreak and reopened in late March. 

But with a growing number of re-diagnoses, the patients there have been relocated to other hospitals, while an epidemiological survey team has been dispatched to look into the situation.

(LINK)

Tests in recovered patients found false positives, not reinfections, experts say

Published : Apr 29, 2020 - 17:18       Updated : Apr 29, 2020 - 17:40

South Korea’s infectious disease experts said Thursday that dead virus fragments were the
likely cause of over 260 people here testing positive again for the novel coronavirus days and
even weeks after marking full recoveries.

Oh Myoung-don, who leads the central clinical committee for emerging disease control, said
the committee members found little reason to believe that those cases could be COVID-19
reinfections or reactivations, which would have made global efforts to contain the virus much
more daunting.

“The tests detected the ribonucleic acid of the dead virus,” said Oh, a Seoul National
University hospital doctor, at a press conference Thursday held at the National Medical
Center.

He went on to explain that in PCR tests, or polymerase chain reaction tests, used for COVID19
diagnosis, genetic materials of the virus amplify during testing, whether it is from a live
virus or just from fragments of dead virus cells that can take months to clear from recovered
patients.

The PCR tests cannot distinguish whether the virus is alive or dead, he added, and this can
lead to false positives.

“PCR testing that amplifies genetics of the virus is used in Korea to test COVID-19, and
relapse cases are due to technical limits of the PCR testing.”

As of Sunday, 263 people in Korea tested positive for the disease again after being declared
virus-free, of which 17 were minors or teens, the National Medical Center said.

“The respiratory epithelial cell has a half-life of up to three months, and RNA virus in the cell
can be detected with PCR testing one to two months after the elimination of the cell,” Oh
said.

The committee’s findings confirmed an earlier assessment from the Korea Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention that repeat patients appear to have little or no
contagiousness. The KCDC cited results of virus culture tests that all failed to find live virus in
recovered patients.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200429000724

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

That's exactly the way I wear it when I am obliged to wear one. Not later than this morning when going for bread and to the supermarket with the Miss.

And I am not the only one. 

Without the Miss often I don't even bother. But when with her the problem is that you will ALWAYS have some A.H. who will make a comment to her, and I simply want to avoid that.

Why even bother to wear it like that. If you don't want to wear a mask then don't wear one, hold your ground and point blank refuse to wear one.

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

believe it or not it reduces influenza transfer within the home by 75%..!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

Tests in recovered patients found false positives, not reinfections, experts say

Published : Apr 29, 2020 - 17:18       Updated : Apr 29, 2020 - 17:40

South Korea’s infectious disease experts said Thursday that dead virus fragments were the
likely cause of over 260 people here testing positive again for the novel coronavirus days and
even weeks after marking full recoveries.

Oh Myoung-don, who leads the central clinical committee for emerging disease control, said
the committee members found little reason to believe that those cases could be COVID-19
reinfections or reactivations, which would have made global efforts to contain the virus much
more daunting.

“The tests detected the ribonucleic acid of the dead virus,” said Oh, a Seoul National
University hospital doctor, at a press conference Thursday held at the National Medical
Center.

He went on to explain that in PCR tests, or polymerase chain reaction tests, used for COVID19
diagnosis, genetic materials of the virus amplify during testing, whether it is from a live
virus or just from fragments of dead virus cells that can take months to clear from recovered
patients.

The PCR tests cannot distinguish whether the virus is alive or dead, he added, and this can
lead to false positives.

“PCR testing that amplifies genetics of the virus is used in Korea to test COVID-19, and
relapse cases are due to technical limits of the PCR testing.”

As of Sunday, 263 people in Korea tested positive for the disease again after being declared
virus-free, of which 17 were minors or teens, the National Medical Center said.

“The respiratory epithelial cell has a half-life of up to three months, and RNA virus in the cell
can be detected with PCR testing one to two months after the elimination of the cell,” Oh
said.

The committee’s findings confirmed an earlier assessment from the Korea Centers for
contagiousness. The KCDC cited results of virus culture tests that all failed to find live virus in
recovered patients.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200429000724

i understand PCR amplification tests are quantitative too,,,reflecting the number of amplifications required to achieve a certain number of replicant genomes  

So ..a negative test can still mean the base genome is still present ,albeit in ,small amounts 

1 minute ago, Ivan the terrible said:

i understand PCR amplification tests are quantitative too,,,reflecting the number of amplifications required to achieve a certain number of replicant genomes  

So ..a negative test can still mean the base genome is still present ,albeit in ,small amounts 

Called the CT or cycle threshold. CDC consider a CT of 37 to be a negative test.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ivan the terrible said:

I am impressed.....

No, really....🙄🙄🙄🙄

The level of medical and scientific knowledge on this board is amazing. I mean, specially for a Pattaya mongerers forum.

Now we just need Pete / Colin on board, and we'll be able to do online medical consulting.

And save lives ....😂😂😂😂🙈🙈🙈🙈

FFS, get me a Bintang ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

I am impressed.....

No, really....🙄🙄🙄🙄

The level of medical and scientific knowledge on this board is amazing. I mean, specially for a Pattaya mongerers forum.

Now we just need Pete / Colin on board, and we'll be able to do online medical consulting.

And save lives ....😂😂😂😂🙈🙈🙈🙈

FFS, get me a Bintang ! 

Pleased to help...you owe me that bintang  now

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, fygjam said:

Maybe a spot of lily gilding...

CDC Estimate: 45 Million Flu Cases, 61,000 Flu-Associated Deaths in 2017-2018 U.S. Flu Season

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

In which case Covid-19 is the clear winner with 63,856 deaths to date (Worldometer) and still clocking over 2,000 deaths per day.

It's not a competition.

The point is that tens of thousands of Americans die every year from influenza.

No lockdown, no house arrest, no massive recession.

Life continues as normal.

6 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

It's not a competition.

The point is that tens of thousands of Americans die every year from influenza.

No lockdown, no house arrest, no massive recession.

Life continues as normal.

And they have the option to be vaccinated!

If there was a vaccine for the SARS-Cov-2 virus or an effective treatment for the Covid-19 disease I'm pretty sure there'd be no lockdown either!

But there isn't.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fygjam said:

And they have the option to be vaccinated!

If there was a vaccine for the SARS-Cov-2 virus or an effective treatment for the Covid-19 disease I'm pretty sure there'd be no lockdown either!

But there isn't.

Yes because prior to the influenza vaccine the world was under house arrest. There were no schools, no international travel, no restaurants.

😂

3 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yes because prior to the influenza vaccine the world was under house arrest. There were no schools, no international travel, no restaurants.

😂

and also subject to a world without vaccination which along with water/ sewerage control has been the biggest life saver the human race has ever seen 

Would you rather we abandon global  international travel/eating out and universal schooling(although it seems kids are nary a risk in covid ) to maintain relative  safety ?Those activitities prior to the 1920-30s were a pipe dream for 99.9% of the world population 

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

reinfections or reactivations
, which would have made global efforts to contain the virus much
more daunting.

contagiousness
. The KCDC cited results of virus culture tests that all failed to find live virus in
recovered patients.

Those are the key paragraphs and words. They mean we have a chance in the near future to see life return to what we've known before. Reinfections or reactivations which could pass on the disease would be catastrophic.  We would have to continue with social distancing and other restrictions at least until an effective vaccine is developed and that could take several years, if ever.

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, Evil Penevil said:

Those are the key paragraphs and words. They mean we have a chance in the near future to see life return to what we've known before. Reinfections or reactivations which could pass on the disease would be catastrophic.  We would have to continue with social distancing and other restrictions at least until an effective vaccine is developed and that could take several years, if ever.

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg

Edited by fforest
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

and also subject to a world without vaccination which along with water/ sewerage control has been the biggest life saver the human race has ever seen 

Would you rather we abandon global  international travel/eating out and universal schooling(although it seems kids are nary a risk in covid ) to maintain relative  safety ?Those activitities prior to the 1920-30s were a pipe dream for 99.9% of the world population 

No I wouldn't rather we abandon anything. This virus is not going away soon, there is no garuntee a vaccine will work. We need to learn to live with it. The economic carnage will kill more people than the virus itself.

• Thumbs Up 1