COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

48 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I guess the Swedes just don't like being herded.

Coronavirus: Sweden’s death toll becomes world's highest per capita

After continuing to shun lockdowns Sweden's coronavirus death rate has risen sharply in the last week to the highest in the world per capita.

Sweden now has the highest coronavirus death rate in the world per capita over the last
week after continuing to shun lockdown.

The government has insisted that its softer approach to dealing with the pandemic will pay
off in the long run as restaurants, bars and businesses remain open.

But over the last seven days, Sweden had an average of 6.08 deaths per million inhabitants -
more than any other country in the world.

This is in comparison to 5.57 in the UK, 4.28 in Belgium, 4.11 in the US, 2.62 in Spain,
2.29 in Italy, and 2.26 in France.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-swedens-death-toll-becomes-worlds-highest-per-capita/news-story/1e9f4fb4fdb0b013e9ea2f10e05aaa7d

Should make the poms happy, no longer topping the list.

Come on fyg..... I'm a pom and my wife is there working and I'm more scared for her than she is for herself. I haven't seen her since February and as soon as I'm able to get to Sweden I'm having her finishing work and taking a break from what I see as "it's just a matter of time until she or grown up kids catch this c19 thing" 

I really don't know how to understand the swedes approach but life seems to go on there regardless. Right or wrong, as a pom I'm not looking who's at the top of the death toll right now.... As long as my wife's family and her and my friends there are OK I don't really care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Come on fyg..... I'm a pom and my wife is there working and I'm more scared for her than she is for herself. I haven't seen her since February and as soon as I'm able to get to Sweden I'm having her finishing work and taking a break from what I see as "it's just a matter of time until she or grown up kids catch this c19 thing" 

I really don't know how to understand the swedes approach but life seems to go on there regardless. Right or wrong, as a pom I'm not looking who's at the top of the death toll right now.... As long as my wife's family and her and my friends there are OK I don't really care. 

I am sure that I wish no harm befalls you and your family dude to Covid-19 and that you are reunited as soon as possible.

On the other hand some were touting Sweden as the ideal model even claiming that herd immunity had been achieved, well almost achieved anyway. I guess that's still a work in progress.

Meanwhile the owners and patrons of the restaurants and bars no doubt thank the dead for their sacrifice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fygjam said:

....some were touting Sweden as the ideal model even claiming that herd immunity had been achieved, well almost achieved anyway. I guess that's still a work in progress.

Just 7.3% of Stockholm had Covid-19 antibodies by end of April, study shows

Official findings add to concerns about Sweden’s laissez-faire strategy towards the pandemic
Fri 22 May 2020 03.51 

Just 7.3% of Stockholm’s inhabitants had developed Covid-19 antibodies by the end of April, according to a study, raising concerns that the country’s light-touch approach to the coronavirus may not be helping it build up broad immunity.

The research by Sweden’s public health agency comes as Finland warned it would be risky to welcome Swedish tourists after figures suggested the country’s death rate per capita was the highest in Europe over the seven days to 19 May.

Sweden’s state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, said the antibodies figure was “a bit lower than we’d thought”, but added that it reflected the situation some weeks ago and he believed that by now “a little more than 20%” of the capital’s population had probably contracted the virus.

However, the public health agency had previously said it expected about 25% to have been infected by 1 May and Tom Britton, a maths professor who helped develop its forecasting model, said the figure from the study was surprising.

“It means either the calculations made by the agency and myself are quite wrong, which is possible, but if that’s the case it’s surprising they are so wrong,” he told the newspaper Dagens Nyheter. “Or more people have been infected than developed antibodies.”

Björn Olsen, a professor of infectious medicine at Uppsala University, said herd immunity was a “dangerous and unrealistic” approach. “I think herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it,” he told Reuters after the release of the antibody findings.

Tegnell has denied herd immunity is a goal in itself, saying Sweden aims instead to slow the spread of the virus enough for health services to cope. But he has also said countries that imposed strict lockdowns could be more vulnerable to a second wave of infections because a smaller percentage of their populations would be immune.
In April, officials estimated one third of Stockholm residents would have developed antibodies to the coronavirus by early May, subsequently suggesting that the capital could reach herd immunity of between 40% and 60% by the middle of June.

Relying on citizens to act responsibly, Sweden has closed schools for the over-16s and banned gatherings of more than 50, but asked – rather than ordered – people to avoid non-essential travel, to work from home and stay at home if they are elderly or ill. Shops, restaurants and gyms have remained open.

Polls show a large majority of Swedes support and are generally complying with their government’s more relaxed, less coercive strategy, which stands in stark contrast to the strict mandatory lockdowns imposed by many EU countries.

Google records suggest trips to shops and cafes by residents of the Stockholm area are down 20%-40%, while passenger numbers on public transport have fallen by 30%-40%.

But the approach has been heavily criticised by some Swedish academics as the number of coronavirus deaths in the country has risen, far exceeding those of its Nordic neighbours.

While the overall coronavirus death rate per million is greater in Italy (535), Spain (597) or the UK (538), Sweden’s (376) is far in advance of Norway’s (44), Denmark’s (96) and Finland’s (55) – countries with similar welfare systems and demographics, but which imposed strict lockdowns.

According to the scientific online publication Ourworldindata.com, Covid-19 deaths in Sweden were the highest in Europe per capita in a rolling seven-day average between 12 and 19 May. The country’s 6.25 deaths per million inhabitants a day was just above the UK’s 5.75.

The government’s decision to avoid a strict lockdown is thought unlikely to spare the Swedish economy. Although retail and entertainment spending has not collapsed quite as dramatically as elsewhere, analysts say the country will probably not reap any long-term economic benefit.

The European commission has said it expects Sweden’s gross domestic product to contract by more than 6% this year, on a par with much of the continent, while the country’s central bank has estimated an even sharper fall of 7%-10%, with unemployment forecast to rise to as much as 10.4%.

The World Health Organization has warned against pinning hopes on herd immunity as a means of containing the coronavirus, saying last week that studies had found antibodies in only 1%-10% of the global population.

Critics such as Olsen say Sweden has done “too little, too late” and note that the government’s laissez-faire approach has been catastrophic for older people, with roughly half the country’s 3,831 deaths so far occurring in care homes.

Tegnell’s predecessor as chief epidemiologist, Annika Linde, told Dagens Nyheter this week that the country’s strategy towards care homes had been “completely insufficient. The problems were underestimated. It was a clear misjudgment.”

The government has admitted serious failings in care homes and this month announced a big increase in funding for the sector, but remains adamant that the country’s relatively high number of deaths per capita is not a consequence of its decision not to impose a lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/just-7-per-cent-of-stockholm-had-covid-19-antibodies-by-end-of-april-study-sweden-coronavirus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Just 7.3% of Stockholm had Covid-19 antibodies by end of April, study shows

Official findings add to concerns about Sweden’s laissez-faire strategy towards the pandemic
Fri 22 May 2020 03.51 

Just 7.3% of Stockholm’s inhabitants had developed Covid-19 antibodies by the end of April, according to a study, raising concerns that the country’s light-touch approach to the coronavirus may not be helping it build up broad immunity.

London is doing "better" than Stockholm.

Coronavirus UK: One in six Londoners have had COVID-19

A staggering number of Londoners have tested positive for antibodies to COVID-19, suggesting around one in six have already contracted the virus.

A recent study has revealed around one in six people in London and one in 20 elsewhere in England may have already contracted COVID-19.

Data gathered from an antibody surveillance study led by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggests 17 per cent of people in London and about 5.0 per cent in England have tested positive for antibodies to the coronavirus, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/uk-politics/coronavirus-uk-health-chief-mps-sound-alarm-over-testing-tracking-failures/news-story/fec005d18da07fa6228775fe01cc9f8d

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

London is doing "better" than Stockholm.

Coronavirus UK: One in six Londoners have had COVID-19

A staggering number of Londoners have tested positive for antibodies to COVID-19, suggesting around one in six have already contracted the virus.

A recent study has revealed around one in six people in London and one in 20 elsewhere in England may have already contracted COVID-19.

Data gathered from an antibody surveillance study led by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggests 17 per cent of people in London and about 5.0 per cent in England have tested positive for antibodies to the coronavirus, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/uk-politics/coronavirus-uk-health-chief-mps-sound-alarm-over-testing-tracking-failures/news-story/fec005d18da07fa6228775fe01cc9f8d

The London Underground has to be one of the best ways of testing out herd immunity.

Commute during winter and the odds are pretty good if someone sneezes you'll catch it. Good news is London recorded zero news cases on Tuesday, even given blips in data on a single days that's very encouraging.

Interesting to see how things play out, when activity cranks up in the next fortnight. There are security guards being put on tubes stations but they are never going to stop people.

My local tube had a  little Indian fella at the entrance this week. When 40 Polish builders get off the bus and head towards in him the morning- he's only ever going to stand aside. People want to get to work those in white collar jobs heading back to the City & Canary Wharf won't mess around either.

I read now and then, almost all on Social Media that C19 is a hoax and part of some sinister plot to change world order. 

But what are these conspiracy theories claimed by Corona Virus deniers? I have read that it's all a lie and that figure have all been made up. Now that would be a very tall order and would not get past whistle-blowers. Then there is the G5 theory

So what ate the top 5 conspiracy theories and most importantly 

WHY? What be the purpose and who would gain to benefit from a hoax? 

When have asked anyone to explain with any credibility they have failed. In doing so. 

Top of the list still appears to be that China deliberately manufactured the virus and the USA knew about it

So if any hoaxes or conspiracy theorist here could explain exactly what they believe the scam or hoax is, who is responsible and why. 

The latest thing I saw today was that the Virus appeared on Australian Bank notes in 2017. Although, they were pictures of thistles 😁😁😁😁

Or a sister plot by the Illuminati to cull the world's elderly population and make off with their private pensions? 😎 Or perhaps crash the financial markets and buy stocks and shares at bottom end prices? 

Personally I think its all bullshit

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

The latest thing I saw today was that the Virus appeared on Australian Bank notes in 2017. Although, they were pictures of thistles 😁😁😁😁

Please, it's a wattle!

This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.

🌟Special AUSTRALIAN $10 ten Dollar 2017 new UNC Banknotes ...

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, fatbhoytim said:

More studies regarding face masks, this time from Edinburgh University. 

<Now a new study by researchers at the University of Edinburgh has looked into the impact of different types of face mask on airflow ejected by a wearer when they breathed or coughed, including standard surgical masks, FFP2 respirators and cloth masks.

The researchers found all face masks without a valve, including cloth masks, reduced the distance exhaled air travelled in a forward direction by more than 90%. But they added that fit was essential, pointing out that “surgical, handmade masks, and face shields, generate significant leakage jets that have the potential to disperse virus-laden fluid particles by several metres,” and that such jets tend to be directed downwards or backwards.

Dr Simon Kolstoe, senior lecturer in evidence-based healthcare and university ethics adviser at the University of Portsmouth, said when it comes to the science there “isn’t that much to argue about”. He said the new study backs previous evidence that cloth masks were not as effective as FFP1 or FFP2 masks – equivalent to N95 masks – when it comes to preventing the transmission of viruses, but can direct the breath in different ways.

But Kolstoe said there was limited evidence about how effective cloth masks were, or whether they have a big impact. The upshot was a debate that was more political than scientific.>

"I have generally been impressed by the effectiveness of all the face coverings we tested. However, we discovered that some face coverings allow the emergence of downward or backward jets that people are not aware of and that could be a major hazard to others around them."

Dr Ignazio Maria ViolaProject coordinator, the University of Edinburgh’s School of Engineering

More information for people to make an informed choice as to the wearing or not of masks. 

Up To You

they go backwards further in swivel headed loons 

For the average Joe on the street, probably social distancing and sanitised lean hands or gloves are most important and masks are another layer of protection. I have 6 valve masks myself and they give me a higher sense of security.

Some say wear a mask others they are useless so it's just down to personal decision or whether you have access to more expensive and affected masks. 

I think psychologically, masks also signal a.message to others that you are serious about safety. 

I can't see any disadvantages in wearing one apart from vanity and lack of full facial expression 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

For the average Joe on the street, probably social distancing and sanitised lean hands or gloves are most important and masks are another layer of protection. I have 6 valve masks myself and they give me a higher sense of security.

Some say wear a mask others they are useless so it's just down to personal decision or whether you have access to more expensive and affected masks. 

I think psychologically, masks also signal a.message to others that you are serious about safety. 

I can't see any disadvantages in wearing one apart from vanity and lack of full facial expression 

But,my God,what about all that freedom that you're losing??

29 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

As they saying goes "up to you" 

But dont look at me or comment because I dont wear one. "Up to you" goes both way.

Zero vanity. But facial expression is important ...

Hell, this is like the condom thing.... People having been brainwashed that it IS normal and natural to have sex with a plastic bag in your dick...🙄🙄🙄🙄

Same as the mask : Nono for me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

But dont look at me or comment because I dont wear one. "Up to you" goes both way.

Hell, this is like the condom thing.... People having been brainwashed that it IS normal and natural to have sex with a plastic bag in your dick...🙄🙄🙄🙄

Having caught the clap a few times in my single days of debauchery in Thailand & the PI now that I'm married I wouldn't risk going bareback.

Living in the UK as we do it could be very expensive....

Anyone else not surprised reading this ....

Tens of thousands of coronavirus tests have been double-counted, officials admit

Two samples taken from the same patient are being recorded as two separate tests in the Government's official figures

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/tens-thousands-coronavirus-tests-have-double-counted-officials/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

It's sort of like the mask wearing thing.

And if a bogus video of someone who is not Bill Gates can be posted, well why not.

I'll post the full bit later on but for now.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, fygjam said:

It's sort of like the mask wearing thing.

And if a bogus video of someone who is not Bill Gates can be posted, well why not.

I'll post the full bit later on but for now.

image.png

strange that...i regard myself as a selfish ass but will always take a trolley back...there is hope for me yet..in my dreams lol

interesting analogy

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

strange that...i regard myself as a selfish ass but will always take a trolley back...there is hope for me yet..in my dreams lol

I always return the trolley as well but at my local shopping centre there are a fair few who obviously think the trolleys are autonomous self parking trolleys.

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I read now and then, almost all on Social Media that C19 is a hoax and part of some sinister plot to change world order. 

But what are these conspiracy theories claimed by Corona Virus deniers? I have read that it's all a lie and that figure have all been made up. Now that would be a very tall order and would not get past whistle-blowers. Then there is the G5 theory

So what ate the top 5 conspiracy theories and most importantly 

WHY? What be the purpose and who would gain to benefit from a hoax? 

When have asked anyone to explain with any credibility they have failed. In doing so. 

Top of the list still appears to be that China deliberately manufactured the virus and the USA knew about it

So if any hoaxes or conspiracy theorist here could explain exactly what they believe the scam or hoax is, who is responsible and why. 

Or a sister plot by the Illuminati to cull the world's elderly population and make off with their private pensions? 😎 Or perhaps crash the financial markets and buy stocks and shares at bottom end prices? 

Personally I think its all bullshit

Well I was going to take a stab at your question.....But since you have already decided its all bullshit....I guess I wont bother.....

C19 is a hoax and part of some sinister plot to change world order. ...Just look around you C19 is changing the world order...and for the worse...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well I was going to take a stab at your question.....But since you have already decided its all bullshit....I guess I wont bother.....

i ,for one,would be interested in the response that you intended to post 

we all love each other here and its a marketplace of ideas...I'll have 2 of those....purely for example

Edited by Ivan the terrible