COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Looking at Wiki’s Canada page on # of infections, this sums up what everyone is scared about. The multiplier effect is rapidly happening, and it’s gone from a single case from a Chinese traveller, to now a bunch of community infections. 
Before looking at this chart, I thought “ pffffft, what’s the big deal”. 

Now these numbers scare the hell out of me

44B0C12B-99FC-49A1-A622-F0421E21FBF6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Looking at Wiki’s Canada page on # of infections, this sums up what everyone is scared about. The multiplier effect is rapidly happening, and it’s gone from a single case from a Chinese traveller, to now a bunch of community infections. 
Before looking at this chart, I thought “ pffffft, what’s the big deal”. 

Now these numbers scare the hell out of me

Trudeu is still allowing flights from China into Canada even still today. At great risk of offending the Chinese, he's putting all Canadians lives at risk. No one even wants to report about it.

4 planes from allover China arriving in the morning in Vancouver.

• Surprised 1

Harvard Epidemiologist

“I Don’t Think the Virus Can Be Stopped Anymore”

In an interview, Harvard Epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch explains why the novel coronavirus is so dangerous – and the need for drastic measures to stop its spread.

Travelers Greeted With Hours-Long Airport Lines As Coronavirus Screenings Begin

March 15, 202010:38 AM ET
virus-outbreak-1-a97b0196b8a5811df0f42c9

People wait in line to go through customs at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport on Saturday. International travelers reported long customs lines at the airport Saturday as staff took extra precautions to guard against the new coronavirus.

Austin Boschen/AP

Updated 1:15 p.m. ET Sunday

Airline passengers returning to the U.S. were confronted with snaking lines causing hours-long delays and confusion at airports around the country starting Saturday as a result of required medical screenings now in place to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

Frustrated travelers took to social media to gripe about the winding lines causing passenger congestion in airports including Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, where some travelers reported waits of up to four hours. A U.S. senator from Illinois said he heard of lines stretching up to eight hours.

This is the scene at O’Hare airport. The traveler who took the photo said it’s a 6-hour wait for bags then on to customs for 2-4 more of waiting in shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Police are handing out water and disinfectant wipes. @fly2ohare #ord #coronavirus #COVID19

View image on Twitter

The Trump administration is restricting travel from 28 European countries, which now include the United Kingdom and Ireland. Europe, the World Health Organization has declared, is now the epicenter of the pandemic.

U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents are permitted to return from those countries, but they must go through health screenings. And the mayhem set off by the implementation of the new health measure came into full view on Sunday.

DFW customs line over 3 hours. CDC here and no one knows what’s going on. #coronavirus

View image on Twitter

The dense crowds come despite U.S. health officials urging people to engage in "social distancing" to curb the spread of infections.

Just waiting in a very long line with thousands of people to clear Customs at JFK T4. Not sure who's really taking things seriously. @JFKairport @DHSgov @realDonaldTrump

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said at a Sunday news conference that the Trump administration did not consider the concerns of local officials before implementing the enhanced medical screenings, saying the mayhem at airports was "solely the responsibility of the federal government not listening."

When local considerations are not factored into decisions like the new medical screenings, federal officials "risk causing serious illness and death," Lightfoot said.

Chicago officials said they have asked federal aviation officials to relax restrictions to allow passengers to remain on planes longer and to stagger flights more.

"We've had some conversations last night and today with DHS and me with the White House and others to break the logjam," Lightfoot said. "Fundamentally, this comes down to personnel. We need more screeners here at O'Hare. And they need them at other airports around the country."

Earlier, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker agreed that new airport measures created "unacceptable" lines.

"The crowds & lines O'Hare are unacceptable & need to be addressed immediately," tweeted Pritzker. "These crowds are waiting to get through customs, which is under federal jurisdiction."

The Trump administration said it is aware of the lines frustrating travelers, with the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, saying that additional screening capacity is being added in an effort to speed up the process.

"Right now we are working to add additional screening capacity and working with the airlines to expedite the process," Wolf tweeted. "I understand this is very stressful. In these unprecedented times, we ask for your patience."

DHS is aware of the long lines for passengers who are undergoing increased medical screening requirements. Right now we are working to add additional screening capacity and working with the airlines to expedite the process. 1(/2)

Paige Hardy, an American student traveling back home from London, posted a video of passengers being asked to raise their hands if they had been to mainland Europe.

"After being told to write down emergency contact numbers and to prepare to potentially be emergency evacuated, we were let off the plane. No communication to flight attendants or passengers. Truly one of the most terrifying experiences of my life," Hardy said.

Landing in the DFW from London and all people who came from Europe are required to raise their hands to get forms to fill out

Embedded video

The outbreak of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 has so far infected 156,000 people worldwide. In the U.S., there have been nearly 3,000 reported cases and 57 deaths.

While the majority of people who become infected are expected to not show symptoms or recover from a fever or cough without needing treatment, those over 60 years old or with underlying health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and lung disease, are the most vulnerable.

Critics of the Trump administration accused it of bungling the launch of the airport medical screenings.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) tweeted before midnight Saturday that he has heard of backups as long as eight hours at O'Hare.

"In contact with @GovPritzker about arriving passenger delays at @fly2ohare of up to eight hours waiting for luggage, immigration, customs, & possible medical screening. Appears source of delays all federal and Admin was unprepared after Presidential ban on travel from Europe," Durbin said.

Mark Morgan, acting commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, on Sunday asked for travelers to stay calm, saying that he realizes the new medical screenings can be "extremely frustrating" but that "nothing is more important than the safety, health and security of our citizens."

We are aware of the reports of increased wait times at some airports across the nation. CBP along with medical personnel are working diligently to address the longer than usual delays. Nothing is more important than the safety, health and security of our citizens. Full statement:

View image on Twitter

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

virus-outbreak-1-a97b0196b8a5811df0f42c9

If they don't have it a touchdown, make sure they have it by the time they leave the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Yeah, what the f**k are they thinking crowding people together like that.

Blame the airline industry -

They could stagger the arriving flights to accommodate the crowds -- especially now ... but, NO their bottom line is more important .... plus, I am sure they don't sterilize the airplanes that have landed before they load up the next bunch ( just keep loading the cattle cars ) ..

O'Hare has always been a mess every time I have traveled through Chicago .. a total mess ...

Isn't O'Hare the most busy airport in the USA or Atlanta ?   To lazy to look it up .. plus, I am self quarantining .. LOL ... LOL .. so I need to significantly reduce the number of times I touch my keyboard ... LOL .. LOL .. LOL 

But, I agree with you Bro .. WTF are they thinking ...............

38 minutes ago, fygjam said:

If they don't have it a touchdown, make sure they have it by the time they leave the terminal.

33 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

It's a bloody mess for sure !

Panic starts to arrive here as well. I follow the news closely and if there start to be some hints about travel restrictions, I run back to Bali immediately.

I have a large sense of humour, but getting stucked in the jungle village for one month would be pushing it a bit far ....😡😡😡

Better in Bali near the pool with some Bintangs.

Tricky thing is Bali is a small island, very easy to isolate it if the local authorities decide so. Just close the airport and the ferry terminal.   😱😱😱

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

It's a bloody mess for sure !

Panic starts to arrive here as well. I follow the news closely and if there start to be some hints about travel restrictions, I run back to Bali immediately.

I have a large sense of humour, but getting stucked in the jungle village for one month would be pushing it a bit far ....😡😡😡

Better in Bali near the pool with some Bintangs.

Tricky thing is Bali is a small island, very easy to isolate it if the local authorities decide so. Just close the airport and the ferry terminal.   😱😱😱

Just the opposite for me .. tomorrow I get on a plane and head back South .. home !   I was gonna drive ( but - leave the Beast here ) because I want to get back home ...

It is really isolated where I live in the South .. ( yea, plenty of small villages ) on a great sea with a great beach ... back with my true loves  .. Beach Gal and Ziggy ...

Seems the last week Beach Gal calls me every couple of hours and asks me " are you wearing a mask -- clean your hands " .. before I came back to BKK last week she bought me 3 big bags of masks ... I always tell her .. yes .. but no, I don't .. leave the bags of masks she bought for me here at home in BKK ... plead to her my innocence ... LOL

It just seems anymore BKK is just one gigantic fucking hassle .. the traffic is a nightmare ... the gals are  .. same - same ... getting pretty bored here going out for beers every night .. I would rather be back home in the South .... maybe a significant sign of maturity on my part ... LOL 

26 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Taxpayers are gonna incur one hell of a bill for this.

22 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Don't they always ?

Don't worry, the money printing machine is going into overdrive....

"The central bank also said it is launching a $700 billion quantitative easing program to protect the economy from the COVID-19 impact. "Over coming months the Committee will increase its holdings of Treasury securities by at least $500 billion and its holdings of agency mortgage-backed securities by at least $200 billion," the Fed said."

13 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Don't worry, the money printing machine is going into overdrive....

"The central bank also said it is launching a $700 billion quantitative easing program to protect the economy from the COVID-19 impact. "Over coming months the Committee will increase its holdings of Treasury securities by at least $500 billion and its holdings of agency mortgage-backed securities by at least $200 billion," the Fed said."

Yea, I read the same thing .. but, ultimately it comes from the tax payers .. governments around the world seem to be one gigantic "ponzi" scheme ..

Maybe "ponzi" isn't the right term ..

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

Proposal to postpone songkran and move the public holidays as well as shutting entertainment venues to go before Thai cabinet tomorrow. Buriram has gone into 'lockdown' with schools, universities and pubs all shut.

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I believe there are only 13 airports in the USA where they have the screening capabilities, so passengers are being forced through these airports rather than the load being spread more widely.  These 13 of course don't have enough staff available at such short notice (their own staff or DHS people), and only since the scale of the problem was realised have asked airlines to look at schedules to help with the flow of people.

The airlines had no say

Edited by KWA

14 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

good job they saved all that dosh with brexit then..  can spend at home not propping up other countires perhaps 🙂

UK national debt now stands at 34k per person. Insane. People wonder why the pound is worth f**k all now. The country is a complete and utter basketcase.