Jump to content

COVID 19 GLOBAL (non Thailand) Posts


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Zeb said:

The US now has about the same number of Covid Cases as the total population of Australia.

The UK has more deaths per 1 million of population than the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Poor buggers, particularly those working in the Health System.

 

Yes... my intial thoughts (and fears) when this thing started are the same now as what they were in the beginning.

Although now what I (we) are seeing is actually occurring widspread. 

- The incredible demands it would place on the general health care system and front line health care workers. Incredible work loads and stress burden. In the beginning remember back.... they were getting good recognition and support (rightly so), - but holy f**k this has been going on for months since then and the numbers are skyrocketing. How in the hell do they keep it up ???

- The other thing. I thought o.k. what if we lick this bastard wthin a year or two. What happens if another one comes along a year or so later ?and another one following that---shit

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and the lads out in Afghanistan. There was about 60 of us surrounded by hundreds of Taliban. The temp. was pushing 50 when we got there. We went out on patrol every day carrying 50-6

I have just found out that a friend of mine took his own life on Friday night. He has had depression issues in the past, but always managed to pull through. Speaking to him a couple of weeks ago he to

Love or hate the man, he is the elected leader of the UK, and given the circumstances, probably the most important person in the UK at this time and arguably perhaps anytime post WW2. Him being i

Posted Images

21 hours ago, fygjam said:

Warning. Viewer discretion advised.

The following, although written by a pom, may contain suggestions which could be construed by the overly sensitive and emotional as Britain Bashing.

The author is a virologist and as such probably has a better understanding of how viruses mutate to escape the immune response compared to a general physician who swapped stethoscope for the editor's pencil at the BMJ.

Musings of an anonymous, pissed off virologist
5 JANUARY 2021


Dr. Bieniasz is Professor and Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at Rockefeller University.

As viruses go, SARS-CoV-2, is quite easy to neutralize with antibodies and, it turns out, straightforward to generate effective vaccines based on the spike protein. Perhaps, even probably, those two properties are causally related. Moreover, it appears that it is quite hard (albeit not impossible) to generate resistant spike variants that evade the polyclonal antibody responses elicited by said vaccines. This is all excellent news.

However, if I had a nefarious nature and wanted to ensure that the new SARS-CoV-2 vaccines were rendered impotent, these are a few things I would try.

First, we’d want to maximize the viral population size and diversity. Because SARS-CoV-2 has a proofreading polymerase, we might have to work hard to do this. The four measures outlined below might help accomplish this, assisting the virus to explore as much genetic diversity as possible, generating every conceivable point mutation as frequently as possible.

  1. Delay the rollout of testing, so that the virus could spread undetected, seeding outbreaks in geographically, demographically and culturally diverse host populations, rendering it virtually impossible to quash with test-trace-isolate approaches.
  2. Implement partial and patchy restrictions on movement and social interactions, thus maintaining consistently large pools of infected individuals.
  3. Keep schools open, claiming that children don’t frequently transmit SARS-CoV-2. Because children have generally mild and perhaps more frequently asymptomatic infections, diversifying viral populations are more likely to spread undetected.
  4. Start a rumor-mill, making full use of social media and other outlets, with topics such as masks are unnecessary or don’t work, that PCR tests are too sensitive or unreliable, that infection-induced ‘herd immunity’ is a reasonable strategy, or even that SARS-CoV-2 isn’t real. Undermining already inadequate public health measures helps keep viral population sizes large.

Second, during or after the establishment of large and diverse viral populations, we’d begin to apply selection pressure to enrich antibody resistance mutations. For that, we would elicit the help of the medical establishment to implement measures 5 and 6. They, laudably, want to help as many people as possible as quickly as possible — we could exploit this.

5. Treat tens of thousands of people with uncharacterized convalescent plasma of weak/unknown potency, without proper clinical trials, to get the ball rolling in applying some selection pressure to enrich for antibody resistant variants. (Again, I don’t know how effective this would be since it is mostly done in hospitals, where onward transmission would presumably be rare, but it would certainly be worth a try) Immunocompromised individuals with persistent infection might be especially helpful here.

6. Finally, and here’s the kicker: having developed a remarkable two-dose vaccine, that is extraordinarily effective, ADMINISTER IT TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE – BUT DELAY THE SECOND DOSE. Generating a pool of hosts with just the right amount of neutralizing antibody to apply selection pressure, but also maintain sufficient levels of partially antibody-resistant virus to allow onward transmission is key here. We might not achieve this shortly after the first dose, but if we let immunity wane for a little while, say 4 to 12 weeks, we just might hit the sweet spot.

Of course, I don’t know if the above would be successful, but that’s what I’d try if I wanted to generate vaccine-resistant SARS-CoV-2 variants.

 

I hadn't thought of the potential of making a super virus by increasing the time between the vaccine booster shot. With that as a real possibility it's just insane the politicos want to ignore science and delay the 2nd dose until 12 weeks.

Perhaps now that more are speaking out about the insanity of the plan they'll revert back to what the drug companies say is the optimum period between doses.

UK should cut its 12-week delay between vaccine doses, doctors group says

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately soon to be a lost generation, both of my parents were of a similar ilk.

My mum is in her 70s and I offered to mow her lawn. She said she enjoys doing it and it keeps her active.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I hadn't thought of the potential of making a super virus by increasing the time between the vaccine booster shot. With that as a real possibility it's just insane the politicos want to ignore science and delay the 2nd dose until 12 weeks.

Perhaps now that more are speaking out about the insanity of the plan they'll revert back to what the drug companies say is the optimum period between doses.

UK should cut its 12-week delay between vaccine doses, doctors group says

 

The "Experts" are not categorically stating that the end result will not be just as good delaying the second dose to 12 weeks merely that "There is no data" to support that it will be just as efficacious through delaying until 12 weeks.

Personally, I always thought it might be a good idea to wait a couple of years to see which "experts" f***d it up. 😷

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jambo said:

The "Experts" are not categorically stating that the end result will not be just as good delaying the second dose to 12 weeks merely that "There is no data" to support that it will be just as efficacious through delaying until 12 weeks.

Personally, I always thought it might be a good idea to wait a couple of years to see which "experts" f***d it up. 😷

This is one of those times I'd like to see them err on the side of caution. If it turns out waiting too long for the 2nd dose results in the creation of a super virus, then the world is truly fcked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jambo said:

The "Experts" are not categorically stating that the end result will not be just as good delaying the second dose to 12 weeks merely that "There is no data" to support that it will be just as efficacious through delaying until 12 weeks.

Personally, I always thought it might be a good idea to wait a couple of years to see which "experts" f***d it up. 😷

 

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

This is one of those times I'd like to see them err on the side of caution. If it turns out waiting too long for the 2nd dose results in the creation of a super virus, then the world is truly fcked.

Hmm, tough decision. Trust the "experts" who did the research and made the stuff or the "experts", who perhaps have an agenda.

Evidence based science rules, ok.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Wankcock talking about staycations for summer 2021 and tightening the rules on international travel to/from the UK. It seems despite the rollout of the vaccine, traveling in 2021 is going to be harder, not easier.

  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Matt Wankcock talking about staycations for summer 2021 and tightening the rules on international travel to/from the UK. It seems despite the rollout of the vaccine, traveling in 2021 is going to be harder, not easier.

Yes its looking rather shite..a trip to whitby on the cards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Washedup said:

Yes its looking rather shite..a trip to whitby on the cards 

What I can't understand though is how he can promote staycations whilst at the same time closing hotels, pubs and restaurants. It went under the radar, but a law was passed during the week in the UK giving councils the power to enforce Covid related fines until mid-July. So that's an indication of how long this hellish, authoritarian nightmare is going to continue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

What I can't understand though is how he can promote staycations whilst at the same time closing hotels, pubs and restaurants. It went under the radar, but a law was passed during the week in the UK giving councils the power to enforce Covid related fines until mid-July. So that's an indication of how long this hellish, authoritarian nightmare is going to 

anybody guess..I'm just hoping the vaccines and treatments keep getting better and we can get some kind of normality..my parents got their first jab Friday..they've had no ill affects off it..I'm hoping that's a good sign 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just read on Sky News that ministers are having a meeting on Tuesday to discuss beefing up restrictions on international travel....no rush then boys you just take your time!

Mind you in another article they reckon there are 77 cases(that they know about)of the SA variant in the UK already.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the idea of covid passports but if it allows people to start travelling again, then I'm all for it. I was hopeful that I would have been able to start traveling again in the second half of 2021, that hope has all but gone, can't even get over to Britain. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I don't like the idea of covid passports but if it allows people to start travelling again, then I'm all for it. I was hopeful that I would have been able to start traveling again in the second half of 2021, that hope has all but gone, can't even get over to Britain. 

 

Bro .. I have seen you mention " science " ... this whole thing has never been about science ... it is about political power .. and since most ( if not all politicians ) have no direct relationship with the daily reality or the lives of normal .. everyday people .. we see what we get from these fucks ....

Even the "science" .. Dr. Fauci for example .. has contradicted himself multiple time on multiple issues ... lol  .. even the WHO and CDC ... if this was purely about "science" there would be clear and precise answers ... in every phase of this entire cluster f**k

The politicians are "milking" this for every inch of every mile ... this whole thing has become totally politicized .. and this accounts for the total ambiguity   .. the fear ....

 

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Bro .. I have seen you mention " science " ... this whole thing has never been about science ... it is about political power .. and since most ( if not all politicians ) have no direct relationship with the daily reality or the lives of normal .. everyday people .. we see what we get from these fucks ....

Even the "science" .. Dr. Fauci for example .. has contradicted himself multiple time on multiple issues ... lol  .. even the WHO and CDC ... if this was purely about "science" there would be clear and precise answers ... in every phase of this entire cluster f**k

The politicians are "milking" this for every inch of every mile ... this whole thing has become totally politicized .. and this accounts for the total ambiguity   .. the fear ....

 

I do not accept the cliche "Trust the Science."

It is right to be sceptical because there are countless examples of "accepted science" being updated as our understanding becomes greater as our knowledge grows.

Dr. Fauci has updated his views as his knowlege and experience of what has been occuring has grown. Nothing wrong with that as it would be infinitely worse to stick with a view that has been overtaken by events. He appears to have acted with dignity and restraint given the fact his ultimate "boss" was doing his best to undermine his best endeavours.

Politicians, all politicians, are habitual liars and self seeking egotists. It goes with the job description. You cannot trust any of them.

  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I do not accept the cliche "Trust the Science."

It is right to be sceptical because there are countless examples of "accepted science" being updated as our understanding becomes greater as our knowledge grows.

Dr. Fauci has updated his views as his knowlege and experience of what has been occuring has grown. Nothing wrong with that as it would be infinitely worse to stick with a view that has been overtaken by events. He appears to have acted with dignity and restraint given the fact his ultimate "boss" was doing his best to undermine his best endeavours.

Politicians, all politicians, are habitual liars and self seeking egotists. It goes with the job description. You cannot trust any of them.

Forget the Boss .. you always speak true ...dignity and restraint  ... no way ... I can go deep into Fauci's past ... if you really are eager to know ...

Politicians .. exactly what I was saying .....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the Covid restrictions in Scotland my Grandaughter Jade's 18th birthday yesterday could only be shared with her friends using a group video chat link.

Jade 18.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 3:29 AM, Jambo said:

Thanks to the Covid restrictions in Scotland my Grandaughter Jade's 18th birthday yesterday could only be shared with her friends using a group video chat link.

Jade 18.jpg

F**king .. really f**king sad ... looks like she has a "spine" .. making the best out of a bad situation .. good on her !

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Thanks to the Covid restrictions in Scotland my Grandaughter Jade's 18th birthday yesterday could only be shared with her friends using a group video chat link.

Jade 18.jpg

It's people her age range (16-25) I feel most sorry for tbh. They have had their education disrupted, some of them are still paying extortionate fees for online University tuition, and to add insult to injury they are still being forced to pay for University accommodation they are prohibited from using.

The employment opportunities for people in this age bracket are almost non-exsistent, and they are going to be saddled with the majority of the debt that needs to be paid back. Not to mention the damage from being confined to their bedrooms or apartments during what should be the most important years of their adult lives.

It's absolutely scandalous how young people have been left to bare the brunt of government incompetence and mismanagement. History will judge the teachers, politicians and society very badly for the way they have treated the young people throughout this pandemic. The moral cowardice of a large element of our society should never be forgotten.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jambo said:

Dr. Fauci has updated his views as his knowlege and experience of what has been occuring has grown.

I disagree. He once resisted the call for masks as he said they were ineffcted, but later admitted that he said that so the supply was not deleted as health care people needed them.

A intentional lie.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Matt Wankcock talking about staycations for summer 2021 and tightening the rules on international travel to/from the UK. It seems despite the rollout of the vaccine, traveling in 2021 is going to be harder, not easier.

I thought with the vaccine out I might be able to go to Thailand twice this year after missing out on last year . But things are getting worse now and there are talking about covid hotels in U.K. . At this rate I think it will be years before air travel happens again . I wonder what Thailand will be like then ??maybe another part of China with no bars 😭😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mrmango said:

I disagree. He once resisted the call for masks as he said they were ineffcted, but later admitted that he said that so the supply was not deleted as health care people needed them.

A intentional lie.

Nothing is static in a pandemic...have to be willing to admit and accept mistakes and move on. Fauci is still a good resource IMO.

I double layer masks now when I am indoors in public (mainly food shopping) -- one KN95 & one double layer fabric.

. . .

Double masking is likely more effective to stop spread of Covid-19, Fauci says

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on Monday that wearing two masks is likely more effective to stop the spread of Covid-19.

When asked about whether double masking or using an N95 mask makes a difference, Fauci told NBC’s Savannah Guthrie that it likely does. 

“Because, I mean, this is a physical covering to prevent droplets and virus to get in,” Fauci said. “So, if you have a physical covering with one layer, you put another layer on, it just makes common sense that it likely would be more effective and that’s the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95.” 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people wear masks in public settings and anywhere they will be around other people, and says people should wear masks that have two or more layers of fabric that fit snugly over the nose and mouth.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-25-21/h_1aa84ea701c603797dd70fab89274c94


 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress on the treatment research front...

UCSF Team Finds Cancer Drug That Is 30 Times More Effective At Fighting COVID Than Remdesivir

...a cancer drug made by a Spanish firm that is not yet approved for any uses in the United States.

The drug is called Aplidin (generic name: plitidepsin), and it's a compound that was originally derived from one found in a bizarre marine creature found near Ibiza called Aplidium albicans. As the team explains in a new report in the journal Science, plitidepsin was shown to dramatically inhibit the replication of SARS CoV-2, a.k.a. the coronavirus, and may in fact be 30 times more effective as an antiviral treatment than remdesivir, which has been used on an emergency basis in patients in clinical settings since last winter.

...

more: https://sfist.com/2021/01/25/ucsf-team-finds-cancer-drug-that-is-30-times-more-effective-at-fighting-covid-19-than-remdesivir/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

It's people her age range (16-25) I feel most sorry for tbh. They have had their education disrupted, some of them are still paying extortionate fees for online University tuition, and to add insult to injury they are still being forced to pay for University accommodation they are prohibited from using.

The employment opportunities for people in this age bracket are almost non-exsistent, and they are going to be saddled with the majority of the debt that needs to be paid back. Not to mention the damage from being confined to their bedrooms or apartments during what should be the most important years of their adult lives.

It's absolutely scandalous how young people have been left to bare the brunt of government incompetence and mismanagement. History will judge the teachers, politicians and society very badly for the way they have treated the young people throughout this pandemic. The moral cowardice of a large element of our society should never be forgotten.

That is exactly what is happening with Jade as she should be resident enjoying her first few weeks at Uni studying to become a vet at her new vetinary college. That and doing what students do the world over normally do by balancing study with an active social life.

At first she mostly studied from home visiting the college in the Scottish borders for two nights every two weeks. This required her mum to drive her down then pick her up after two nights to return to Edinburgh. Now all study is at home as there is a restriction on travel.

On top of this, last week Jade had the first of her ongoing vetinary course exams which in normal circumstances would have been at the end of several months of residential tuition. When I asked her how they went she simply said

"Okay" and given how well she did in her highers to get into the college in the first place that no doubt meant that she has done okay. 😀

I feel really sorry for her as she has little if any social life as there is currently nowhere for a girl her age to go and she can only see her friends remotely.

For as long as I can remember she has wanted to be working with animals as a vet and was very lucky to be ablle to get work experience at Edinburgh Zoo which has literally hundreds if not thousands of applicants each year from all over the UK.  She is quite literally living the dream but they are not making it easy that is for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...