COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 hour ago, roobob said:

.... but I would say that the recovery rates is also just as an important issues as well.

Focusing on preventing deaths amongst those with the virus, increases recovery rates.

Preventing people from catching the virus is even more important.

When thousands etc are dying daily it shows the virus is out of control and that stressed health system hinders recovery rates. It also shows more effective measures are required to cut death rates.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, roobob said:

Bloody hell.... it seems we are only getting death rates on here.

Lets look at the other side of the coin......

Has anyone got the recovery figures of people who have recovered from the virus???

cheers

Define recovered.

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

These people sometimes describe themselves as "long haulers" and the condition has been called post-COVID-19 syndrome or "long COVID-19."

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms, but even young, otherwise healthy people can feel unwell for weeks to months after infection. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:

• Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Cough
  • Joint pain
  • Chest pain

Other long-term signs and symptoms may include:

• Muscle pain or headache
  • Fast or pounding heartbeat
  • Loss of smell or taste
  • Memory, concentration or sleep problems
  • Rash or hair loss

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems. Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

• Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
  • Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
  • Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.

Other parts of the body affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels and cause them to leak, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.

Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.

Many large medical centers are opening specialized clinics to provide care for people who have persistent symptoms or related illnesses after they recover from COVID-19.

It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

More than 100,000 people in the UK have now died from Covid-19 – a heart-wrenching, incomprehensible figure that many experts and scientists believe to be rooted in the failures of a “reckless" government that has overseen one of the largest “avoidable” losses of lives in generations.

Few ever envisioned the UK reaching such a grim milestone, yet nearly 12 months on from the beginning of the pandemic – and despite countless opportunities and warnings to take corrective action – the country stands alone with the highest daily death rate in the world.

More than a quarter of all UK deaths have been reported in the last month alone

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-deaths-uk-coronavirus-cases-latest-b1792224.html

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Irish PM expects full lockdown to last 6 months. I can see the UK being fairly similar. Staggeringly, it looks like 2021 is going to be much worse than 2020.

As soon as my condos pool is not locked down I will be a happy camper....

3 hours ago, roomark said:

It's hard to be positive in one of  your countries darkest hour ...

I'm lucky compared to some I have family around me.

This isn't on a forum for me it's all around me (and a few of us on here no doubt) 

OK we're all in this together , just like WW 1 &2 , but some countries were decimated and others just saw it on the news..

No bombs now, just an invisible enemy and an absolute shit government. 

My Mrs got over it it didn't touch me or my kids, but its battered loads around me.

It's  killed 3 people I know of (on the same street) since December and one couple I know weirdly on the same street cannot shake it off all from the same time.

There are high recovery rates (but no one knows the long term implications)  but winter has brought the death oh so near.

No doubt we'll get through this , but the streets,shops,pubs , businesses, hotels and communities around me are changed forever .

Excellent post, sums up how I feel this morning.

Relative to most I'm in a very lucky situation. I'm fit and well, don't have any financial worries. It's painful  though to see how badly the UK has handled this relative to the rest of the world, and it's a long way from over.

Very happy with where we are with the vaccine (but maybe not the dosing strategy), but as you allude to the damage has been done, and like the individuals you mention with long COVID, we don't know what this will do to the economy and society in the longer term.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, roobob said:

No .... luckily I have not had a loved one or anyone close to me who has passed away from it. In fact I do not know of anyone who has caught the virus and touch wood...I hope that continues.

Just curious...... did you end up having a test for the virus after going to hospital feeling ill in Chang Mai and when they took you to get a covid test .... you just up and left and went back into the public domain???

cheers

I look forward to one day meeting you mate. I'll tell you all about it.

• Haha 1

Bend over and say...ahhh?

China rolls out anal swab coronavirus test, saying it’s more accurate than throat method

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/anal-swab-china-coronavirus/2021/01/27/cc284f56-6054-11eb-a177-7765f29a9524_story.html

...Chinese state media outlets introduced the new protocol in recent days, prompting widespread discussion and some outrage. Some Chinese doctors say the science is there. Recovering patients, they say, have continued to test positive through samples from the lower digestive tract days after nasal and throat swabs came back negative.

Yet for many, it seemed a step too far in government intrusions after a year and counting of a dignity-eroding pandemic.

“Everyone involved will be so embarrassed,” one user in Guang­dong province said Wednesday on ­Weibo, a Chinese social media platform. In a Weibo poll, 80 percent of respondents said they “could not accept” the invasive method.

. . . “It’s difficult for the nurses,” said one person on Weibo...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55813850

Family 'did Asda shop in blue light ambulance'

ambulance in Harpurhey

A disqualified driver who reportedly went shopping in a second-hand ambulance with the emergency lights flashing has been arrested.

The ambulance was carrying a family when it arrived at the Asda store in Harpurhey on Wednesday, Greater Manchester Police said.

Traffic officers tweeted that the "occupants promptly went inside to do their shopping".

The ambulance has been seized and the driver has been arrested, police said.

The driver was found to be disqualified and wanted by the court.

In a tweet, GMP Traffic said the ambulance was "reportedly carrying a family when it arrived at #Asda Harpurhey with blue lights flashing. Occupants promptly went inside to do their shopping".

They said the vehicle was "believed to have been purchased second hand. The driver has been arrested and is now en-route to custody".

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, john luke said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55813850

Family 'did Asda shop in blue light ambulance'

ambulance in Harpurhey

A disqualified driver who reportedly went shopping in a second-hand ambulance with the emergency lights flashing has been arrested.

The ambulance was carrying a family when it arrived at the Asda store in Harpurhey on Wednesday, Greater Manchester Police said.

Traffic officers tweeted that the "occupants promptly went inside to do their shopping".

The ambulance has been seized and the driver has been arrested, police said.

The driver was found to be disqualified and wanted by the court.

In a tweet, GMP Traffic said the ambulance was "reportedly carrying a family when it arrived at #Asda Harpurhey with blue lights flashing. Occupants promptly went inside to do their shopping".

They said the vehicle was "believed to have been purchased second hand. The driver has been arrested and is now en-route to custody".

Harpurhey went there early 90s to see bernard manning..was glad to make it out in one piece..this doesn't surprise me 👍

Just got back from local church hall where I received my first Covid jab. They were very efficient and quick. 

A large breasted nurse said to me  "just a small prick" 

I promptly replied that I never had any complaints 😁😁

Not sure when I will receive the second jab. She said it could be anywhere up to 3 months. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Just got back from local church hall where I received my first Covid jab. They were very efficient and quick. 

A large breasted nurse said to me  "just a small prick" 

I promptly replied that I never had any complaints 😁😁

Not sure when I will receive the second jab. She said it could be anywhere up to 3 months. 

With the spat between the EU & the UK ongoing,what happens to the people who have had the first Pfitzer jab in the UK if the EU withhold shipments?

Edited by coxyhog

33 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

LOL .. China has introduced an "ANAL SWAB" test to combat the china virus ...

f**k me ... now they are even getting up your ass ... f**k off !  

As much as I wasn't being tested for Covid I did have an anal swab on a couple of occasions before/and on the day of my heart operation.  If I remember this was for MRSA.

I suppose if it is a more accurate test OK but maybe not a good idea when mass testing in public areas or in a drive thru lol

12 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

As much as I wasn't being tested for Covid I did have an anal swab on a couple of occasions before/and on the day of my heart operation.  If I remember this was for MRSA.

I suppose if it is a more accurate test OK but maybe not a good idea when mass testing in public areas or in a drive thru lol

In Thailand they could utilize the "notels" with the curtains. 😉

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Being a MRSA carrier, I’ve had plenty of groin, nose and armpit swabs prior to some hospital procedures, but never an anal swab for it. 
Now I feel I’m not getting as much out of the NHS as I should be getting. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

Being a MRSA carrier, I’ve had plenty of groin, nose and armpit swabs prior to some hospital procedures, but never an anal swab for it. 
Now I feel I’m not getting as much out of the NHS as I should be getting. 😂

It may not be a total penetration but it is bend over and a quick scrape around in there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1