COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/31/housebound-elderly-have-slipped-cracks-covid-jabs-rollout/

When I reminded my mums surgery about her jab they said that they thought she was housebound....good job I did.

That link is behind a paywall Coxy. 
I’ve put a non payment link to the story if that’s ok with you. 
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/housebound-elderly-have-slipped-through-cracks-in-covid-jabs-rollout/ar-BB1dgvxV

• Thumbs Up 1

Well my experience with the nasal & throat swab home testing was a bloody nightmare!

You are told to register the kit on the UK.Gov website and you must do it on the morning you do the test, then post off as soon as possible on the day you do the test. 
When I went through the registration process by putting in my Test Kit number it wouldn’t accept it after 5 attempts, of course it kicked me out right at the end of the process each time, so I had to go through each attempt until the very end when I was told there was a problem.

OK you f%#*** bas%#€*** I’ll ring the number on the website to register over the phone. Got put through to a human being after interminable phone menus and finally spoke to an elderly chap who was so slow it was laughable. He openly admitted to me that he had never learned to type and was yet to progress from typing with one finger to two, but eventually we got the form filled and my Test Kit was registered. 
He then proceeded to instruct me on how to return the kit the quickest way by going to Royal Mail site to find what he described was a “priority postbox” nearest to me, which I duly did. 
I then pushed her indoors out the house with strict instructions on exactly which postbox to stick the test kit in, in order that it arrives as quickly as possible. Of course she protested and wanted to put it in the nearest postbox to us, which is 300 meters from our house, saying “it’s going to get there from our local box just as fast”! No! Said I, “the system is designed so that tests arrive faster from the designated priority boxes, so get your ass in gear and put it in the box or I’m going to swing for you!
The box was almost 2 miles away, so she was gone a while. When she returned, she informed me that the collection time for the box that I’d sent her to was 5pm tonight, but that she’d also check for the collection time at our local box and it was 9am this morning and she’d missed that collection time by 5 minutes!

If the government cannot get a simple, yet vital system right, what hope do we have!:default_close:

Rant over. 😉 

• Like 4

I'm a Telegraph subscriber so hope this helps:

Elderly housebound patients have "slipped through the cracks" of the coronavirus vaccination rollout, experts have warned – in stark contrast to the huge success of the Government's Covid jab delivery to care homes.

On Sunday night, homecare providers urged Downing Street to introduce mobile vaccination units to drive from home to home, delivering jabs to elderly and vulnerable people too frail to attend a vaccination centre.

The warning came as care homes praised ministers for their success in ensuring that vaccinations had reached their residents.

The rollout of Covid vaccines is in stark contrast to the catastrophic death toll in March and April, when the virus took a grip in many care homes. In total it is estimated that more than 30,000 care home residents in the UK have died of Covid during the pandemic – around a third of all fatalities.

Concern over the treatment of homecare patients will ring new alarm bells. 

Dr Ben Maruthappu, the chief executive of Cera, which provides care to about 100,000 vulnerable older people in their homes, said he estimated only around 100 of his clients had so far received jabs. About 55 per cent are over 80, with the remainder in their 60s and 70s and in the most vulnerable group of elderly adults.

In all, about one million people are thought to be home care patients, suggesting many hundreds of thousands remain unprotected.

Dr Maruthappu said: "It's great that the majority of people in care homes have been vaccinated, but elderly housebound people, stuck in their own homes, are at present not being vaccinated as quickly and effectively as those in care homes. 

"Unfortunately, these people are slipping through the cracks. We look after 10,000 people but only about one per cent – no more than about 100 people – have been vaccinated. 

Dr Maruthappu said other countries had organised house-to-house mobile vaccination units, adding: "We need to do the same." 

A mobile vaccination facility is pictured in Bouleuse, France, earlier this month
A mobile vaccination facility is pictured in Bouleuse, France, earlier this month CREDIT: Francois Nascimbeni/AFP

One care home owner who has still to lose a resident to Covid said that, although the battle was being won, he would not celebrate until the war against the pandemic is over. 

"We are so close to the end," said Dr Kevin O'Sullivan, the owner of the Peregrine House care home in Whitby, North Yorkshire. "I invoke Armistice Day where, in the six to eight hours between the armistice agreement being signed and enforced, something like 3,000 people lost their lives. I don't want any of our residents to be in that group.

"Yesterday marked 21 days since the residents were all vaccinated. We have still not had any outbreaks. A doctor and a nurse visited and administered all the jabs to residents in just under three hours. It has gone incredibly smoothly. We were very pleased." 

None of his 36 residents, the oldest of whom is 103, has died from Covid in either the first or second waves. However, despite the vaccine rollout Dr O'Sullivan will not lift any of the tight rules in place and visits from loved ones will remain banned in a bid to risk any further infections spreading. 

The vaccines minister, Nadhim Zahawi, described the inoculation programme as "a race against deaths" as GPs scrambled to deliver jabs to care home residents. 

Despite the Government meeting its target to vaccinate the priority group, still more care home residents are continuing to fall victim to the virus. Last week, Pemberley House, a care home in Basingstoke, Hampshire, announced that 22 residents had died of Covid in January. 

David Crabtree, who manages Crabtree Care Homes, with premises in Bradford and Keighley, West Yorkshire, lost 16 residents to Covid during the first wave of the pandemic. Last weekend, all his residents were vaccinated, and currently 98 per cent of his staff have had their first jab. 

However, he said he had noticed "a slight spike in outbreaks in care homes" since the vaccine rollout, adding: "If, after everyone's had two vaccines and we're still spiking in care homes, something's wrong, because you can still catch it and transmit it after you've had both injections.

"We still need to be conscious of wearing PPE, and the social distancing precautions which will have to be in place for the foreseeable future."  

Meanwhile, care homes have praised the efforts of frontline workers who have pulled off a "mammoth task" in rolling out the vaccine to residents and said it was a "magnificent landmark".

Nadra Ahmed, who chairs the National Care Association, said: "Although there have been bumps in the road, to use the Prime Minister's words, I think the fact that the care sector and the NHS have managed to get this done is absolutely phenomenal."

She added that there may be a small number of care home residents who have not yet received the jab because a home was enduring another outbreak, meaning it was unsafe for GPs to enter. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:20 PM, Washedup said:

Any BM's booked in for the jab this week 

Not me but my brother (68), his wife (67) and my best friend (69) are having their jabs tomorrow and 4 Feb which is earlier than they expected.  They are in Hounslow and Islington (London) respectively.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They are sending out teams into the areas where it’s reared its head to do random swabs of the public, in an effort to try to understand where and why it’s spreading. 
Johnson said it (the South African variant) could possibly pose a higher risk of death to those who catch it. What else is there for him or the government to say? Other than stay in lockdown and try to stay safe by restricting your contacts.

Remember, the wrong words spoken on National Television could cause another panic like the one we had a few months ago, with millions stripping supermarkets shelves bare, when there was really no need to stockpile anything, even bog paper.😉

I doubt that they are hiding anything, but that’s because the don’t know much about this variant, other than it’s much more transmissible and that there have  been 11 known cases in the UK where they have no known connections to South Africa, or had contact with anyone who had returned from SA recently.
Although SAGE did highlight the possibility of variants to the government several weeks ago, but then, there was very little hard evidence on it at the time. 
Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England believes that the current vaccines will be effective against the SA variant.  
You’ll have to believe her  and Johnson or not. Scientists work on factual evidence and there’s not a lot of that around at the moment, so we’ll have to wait until there is. 

Viruses have always morphed into different variants, flu does it several times a year and has done for hundreds of years. The virologist and drug companies have done a reasonably good job of changing vaccines to combat those changes most of the time. 
All we can do is follow the lockdown rules and reduce our contacts to as few people as possible. 

Looking at the vast majority of countries across the world, the UK government seems to be well ahead of most countries where vaccines and vaccinations are concerned, with more and more vaccine centres opening across the country each day.
The UK is vaccinating more people than most EU countries, who seem to be arguing amongst themselves about why they don’t have enough vaccine supplies because they were too slow to license various vaccines for use and  were late ordering enough stock from the drug companies.  

My personal feeling, is that the UK is doing a lot better than many countries, where vaccinations of the population are concerned. 👍

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, coxyhog said:

The way the UK government are going on about the SA variant I reckon there's something that they're not telling us.

It seems they are worried about the efficacy of the vaccines against the SA strain.

For the new vaccine, Novavax, they have some data. This is the efficacy against the strains.

Efficacy.jpg

It is all explained in this video:

• Like 1

There was a rather stunning 'Evolutionary Virologist' on BBC earlier who was rather unconcerned about the mutations being a major issue.  She even mentioned that the Covid virus mutates at a slower rate than other viruses such as Flu etc.

Now there are many experts out there but she has been a rather calming influence before on TV, I like her style and she is obviously a very smart lady.

Her name is Emilia Cecylia Skirmuntt, I rather like her view on things, she is based at Oxford University.

Evolutionary Virologist.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

There was a rather stunning 'Evolutionary Virologist' on BBC earlier who was rather unconcerned about the mutations being a major issue.  She even mentioned that the Covid virus mutates at a slower rate than other viruses such as Flu etc.

Now there are many experts out there but she has been a rather calming influence before on TV, I like her style and she is obviously a very smart lady.

Her name is Emilia Cecylia Skirmuntt, I rather like her view on things, she is based at Oxford University.

Evolutionary Virologist.png

I'd like to give her a close up view on my cock....my views....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Ok so yesterday got my first Vaccine. Was pleasantly surprised at how organized and efficient it was. Arrived at 10:00am, first line is to fill out a form, second line to check your Medical info and enter it on the computer, then you are given a "card" and proceed to get your injection. This was done at the Vallley Medical Center Clinic, right next to the fairgrounds. No cameras inside and no one else can go with you....too bad the Viet girl who gave me the shot was quite nice looking....Miss Van 😄

I was done at 10:48 am, this included a 15 minute wait period after to make sure you do not have any side effects. The nurse who injected me was a pro, I did not feel anything and done. They schedule your second dose right there and I am back on Mar 2nd 12:45pm and am done. They are currently giving the "Moderna" vaccine and you will get the same for your second dose, no mixing at all. Was asking the gal in the waiting room area who watches your time after your shot if they had had any people be taken on the stretcher they have there to the hospital, she said she has been here since Dec 13th when the first injections were given and no one has had any issues at all...good news.  

24 hours later, I have no side effects at all, other then just a tad bit sore arm. They say though, the second dose is more likely to give you some side effects. I found the same with the "Shingles" vaccine, felt a bit crappy for 48 hours after that one, but nothing that you just can't handle. 

image1.jpeg

image0.jpg

Excellent! Moderna is the best one for old farts guys.

I'm a few years younger than you...so will have to wait for awhile.

I think vaccination and continued personal & family vigilance is the way out of this BS.

I was in downtown SF this morning at 9am. It is a ghost town (rainy morning).
Even quieter than back in April when it all started.

Left downtown at 10am for Burlingame...15 minutes on the 101 and I was there. Used to take 15 minutes to go three blocks before getting caught in traffic. Crazy.

20210202_095130.jpg

• Like 2