COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

My niece lives in NPT, she's 41 years old but has MS so is on the clinically extremely vulnerable list. She just got her invite for the first jab at her GP's, which means it will be the AstraZeneca version. In Wales, at least, GP surgeries are using that one while people who attend one of the  mass vaccination centres are currently being given the Pfizer version.

CTM health board, where my gaff is located, provides a good description of how the vaccines are being administered here:

https://cwmtafmorgannwg.wales/covid-19-vaccine/

Just looking on the Swansea Health Board which seems to be a little slower in their vaccination numbers but hoping still to get my letter/contact next week.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Just looking on the Swansea Health Board which seems to be a little slower in their vaccination numbers but hoping still to get my letter/contact next week.

I appreciate that the system in Wales is different to England; that said I know of a number of people who have been able to access the England covid vaccine booking site and provided they meet the criteria (age) for a vaccine they are able to book an appointment before the NHS letter arrives.  The information required is name, NHS number, date of birth and Post Code.

My letter was dated 26th January but I did not receive it until 1st February.  By that time I had already been contacted by my GP surgery and had the vaccine.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, john luke said:

I appreciate that the system in Wales is different to England; that said I know of a number of people who have been able to access the England covid vaccine booking site and provided they meet the criteria (age) for a vaccine they are able to book an appointment before the NHS letter arrives.  The information required is name, NHS number, date of birth and Post Code.

My letter was dated 26th January but I did not receive it until 1st February.  By that time I had already been contacted by my GP surgery and had the vaccine.

Good Luck.

I have now been contacted 3 times. 

Firstly by my GP and I received the vaccine 2 days later. 

Then this week, I was contacted by St George's hospital inviting me for a vaccine, then a day later I got a letter from Croydon University hospital also inviting me for a vaccine. 

So I am not sure how coordinated the vaccine program is. That said, I am not complaining.  It appears that there are regional differences across the UK. 

But then, I have a couple of friends who are due for vaccination who have not been contacted and they have spent hours on the phone to Guys hospital in London to book an appointment. Plus that, they have to use public transport to get there and back. 

7 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have now been contacted 3 times. 

Firstly by my GP and I received the vaccine 2 days later. 

Then this week, I was contacted by St George's hospital inviting me for a vaccine, then a day later I got a letter from Croydon University hospital also inviting me for a vaccine. 

So I am not sure how coordinated the vaccine program is. That said, I am not complaining.  It appears that there are regional differences across the UK. 

But then, I have a couple of friends who are due for vaccination who have not been contacted and they have spent hours on the phone to Guys hospital in London to book an appointment. Plus that, they have to use public transport to get there and back. 

I had 6 invites - from 4 different sources (two of the invites were duplicated). 

I looks to me that anyone who is doing vaccines sends out invites to qualifying individuals. After the vaccine is done, it gets recorded on a central database - which should prevent anyone getting duplicate shots.

It would have been close to impossible to put together a central database from which invites would be sent - at least, not in the desired time-frame - so I think they have gone the best route.

You guys who've had #1...get ready for #2...

The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells
Side effects are just a sign that protection is kicking in as it should.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/02/second-vaccine-side-effects/617892/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20210205&silverid=MzQ1ODAyOTY3ODM2S0

...Side effects are a natural part of the vaccination process, as my colleague Sarah Zhang has written. Not everyone will experience them. But the two COVID-19 vaccines cleared for emergency use in the United States, made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, already have reputations for raising the hackles of the immune system: In both companies’ clinical trials, at least a third of the volunteers ended up with symptoms such as headaches and fatigue; fevers like my husband’s were less common.

Dose No. 2 is more likely to pack a punch—in large part because the effects of the second shot build iteratively on the first. My husband, who’s a neurologist at Yale New Haven Hospital, is one of many who had a worse experience with his second shot than his first.

But much like any other learning process, in this one repetition is key. When hit with the second injection, the immune system recognizes the onslaught, and starts to take it even more seriously. The body’s encore act, uncomfortable though it might be, is evidence that the immune system is solidifying its defenses against the virus...

9 hours ago, fygjam said:

The Path to Immunity Around the World

Globally, the latest vaccination rate is 4,607,324 doses per day, on average. At this
rate, it will take an estimated 6.8 years to cover 75% of the population with a two-dose
vaccine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/?srnd=premium-asia

It will take longer than this because there are loads of people who absolutely will not be taking this vaccine EVER...No matter what.....

39 minutes ago, fforest said:

It will take longer than this because there are loads of people who absolutely will not be taking this vaccine EVER...No matter what.....

Well the planet needs a population cull and a Covid-19 cull of the unvaccinated might just cull the right targets for once.

Then being denied certain activities like international travel may convince some of the recalcitrant ones of the error of their ways. I can certainly see a country like Thailand requiring a vaccination certificate and antibody test as proof of vaccination in order to extend a farang's long term stay.

And governments or their scientific advisors aren't stupid. They know that while infections continue, even asymptomatic infections, the infected person is a virus factory on legs churning out billions of new virus particles. And given the virus's propensity to mutate it's only a matter of time until the virus hits the jackpot and produces a variant which evades vaccine induced immunity. In fact increasing immunity through vaccination just increases the evolutionary pressure on the virus to mutate in such a way. Sooner or later one may not have any choice about being vaccinated.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Well the planet needs a population cull and a Covid-19 cull of the unvaccinated might just cull the right targets for once.

Then being denied certain activities like international travel may convince some of the recalcitrant ones of the error of their ways. I can certainly see a country like Thailand requiring a vaccination certificate and antibody test as proof of vaccination in order to extend a farang's long term stay.

And governments or their scientific advisors aren't stupid. They know that while infections continue, even asymptomatic infections, the infected person is a virus factory on legs churning out billions of new virus particles. And given the virus's propensity to mutate it's only a matter of time until the virus hits the jackpot and produces a variant which evades vaccine induced immunity. In fact increasing immunity through vaccination just increases the evolutionary pressure on the virus to mutate in such a way. Sooner or later one may not have any choice about being vaccinated.

I wonder how Thai Spice would reply to this....

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

What a load of poppycock.....555

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

You guys who've had #1...get ready for #2...

The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells
Side effects are just a sign that protection is kicking in as it should.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/02/second-vaccine-side-effects/617892/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20210205&silverid=MzQ1ODAyOTY3ODM2S0

...Side effects are a natural part of the vaccination process, as my colleague Sarah Zhang has written. Not everyone will experience them. But the two COVID-19 vaccines cleared for emergency use in the United States, made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, already have reputations for raising the hackles of the immune system: In both companies’ clinical trials, at least a third of the volunteers ended up with symptoms such as headaches and fatigue; fevers like my husband’s were less common.

Dose No. 2 is more likely to pack a punch—in large part because the effects of the second shot build iteratively on the first. My husband, who’s a neurologist at Yale New Haven Hospital, is one of many who had a worse experience with his second shot than his first.

But much like any other learning process, in this one repetition is key. When hit with the second injection, the immune system recognizes the onslaught, and starts to take it even more seriously. The body’s encore act, uncomfortable though it might be, is evidence that the immune system is solidifying its defenses against the virus...

Not sure if this matters or not but....having had the "Shingles" vaccine last year in August, that second one put me  back a few days. Just felt like shit for 72 hours, no fever, throwing up, or headaches, but just felt like I had run 26 miles, was bench pressing 300 pounds ( 5 sets) and had no energy at all. 

It was tolerable, but glad I got through it. 

March 2nd, the second jab of Moderna...we'll see how this one plays out.

My Son's GF, she is a Nurse, got her second shot of Pfizer last week and had absolutely no side effects. She is 26 though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Not sure if this matters or not but....having had the "Shingles" vaccine last year in August, that second one put me  back a few days. Just felt like shit for 72 hours, no fever, throwing up, or headaches, but just felt like I had run 26 miles, was bench pressing 300 pounds ( 5 sets) and had no energy at all. 

It was tolerable, but glad I got through it. 

March 2nd, the second jab of Moderna...we'll see how this one plays out.

My Son's GF, she is a Nurse, got her second shot of Pfizer last week and had absolutely no side effects. She is 26 though.

I'll be going for my second jab in a couple of weeks  - the first one didn't bother me other than a slightly sore shoulder for a couple of days and I am not worried about the second. Whatever works towards bringing back unhindered travel is alright with me, and I figure that even if our gov't doesn't come right out and mandate vaccination, they'll use travel and other sanctions to make sure that it really is in your best interests to have it done...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, roobob said:

What a load of poppycock.....555

cheers

Yeah, right!

Digital “proof of vaccination” certificates will be stored and displayed on phone apps as
part of the federal government’s plans for the national coronavirus vaccine rollout.

The Express Plus Medicare app and MyGov accounts will both store digital proof-of-vaccination
certificates, while those who require a hard copy will be able to access a
printout from vaccine providers and Services Australia offices.

Cabinet approval for the scheme is due in the next two weeks, The Sun-Herald and The Age
reported on Sunday.

An update to the Medicare app will also be developed as part of the plan, which aims to
make proof of vaccine quick and easy to access.

It is expected the certificates will simplify visits to nursing homes and hospitals, and could
even be required for interstate travel if future lockdowns are needed.

They will also play a role in the reopening of international borders, which is expected to
begin from later this year.

The Pfizer vaccine is due to be rolled out nationally from the end of this month, while the
distribution of AstraZeneca is due in March.

The federal parliament last week passed laws that require vaccine providers to record all the
vaccines they administer, including the COVID-19 vaccine, on the national register.

Previously, the reporting of vaccinations had been voluntary.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/federal-government-reveals-plans-for-proof-of-vaccination-certificates-to-be-stored-and-displayed-on-phone-apps/news-story/5eec12b6058215777ed43d5221160df7

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to if they don't see a need to identify the vaccinated from the unvaccinated.

14 hours ago, fygjam said:

The planet doesn't need a population cull, that far-left shite has been spouted for years by mentally ill sycophants and debunked that many times.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/08/05/overpopulation-myth-new-study-predicts-population-decline-century-14953

A belief in overpopulation is factually incorrect. Humans are not cockroaches or bacteria. We do not reproduce exponentially until the food runs out. Instead, as a nation becomes richer and more developed, people naturally have fewer children, choosing to invest more of their time and resources into raising one or two children instead of ten. That's been the pattern in every rich country around the world, including the United States.

Despite this, global population models often projected that humanity would continue growing well into the 22nd Century before peaking at around 11 or 12 billion people and then declining. But some demographers are starting to question this. Last year, Darrell Bricker and John Ibbitson wrote a book called Empty Planet that claimed that the human population would peak and decline this century, beginning in roughly 30 years. Now, a new study confirms this view.

Published in The Lancet, a study from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation projects that the world population, which now stands at 7.8 billion, will peak in 2064 at 9.7 billion (95% CI: 8.8 billion to 10.9 billion) then fall by 2100 to 8.8 billion (95% CI: 6.8 billion to 11.8 billion). If the UN's Sustainable Development Goals are met, which include education and access to contraception, the authors project a population of 6.3 billion (95% CI: 4.8 billion to 8.7 billion) by 2100, smaller than it is today.

36 minutes ago, Washedup said:

So its looking like country's are gearing up for the vaccine passport..but we new this would come in..

No country will leave itself vulnerable to import a potential risk to its well being and economy. Just another layer of stress before travelling particularly the 72 hour window for testing negative.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Israeli hospital says it may have found a covid- 19 cure as all treated patients make full recovery..cancer drug called EXO-cd24..👍

It seems that this is not an existing cancer drug but one under development, so it will have to go through all the trials and testing. No quick fix then, but hopefully something on the not too distant horizon.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, fygjam said:

Yeah, right!

Digital “proof of vaccination” certificates will be stored and displayed on phone apps as
part of the federal government’s plans for the national coronavirus vaccine rollout.

The Express Plus Medicare app and MyGov accounts will both store digital proof-of-vaccination
certificates, while those who require a hard copy will be able to access a
printout from vaccine providers and Services Australia offices.

Cabinet approval for the scheme is due in the next two weeks, The Sun-Herald and The Age
reported on Sunday.

An update to the Medicare app will also be developed as part of the plan, which aims to
make proof of vaccine quick and easy to access.

It is expected the certificates will simplify visits to nursing homes and hospitals, and could
even be required for interstate travel if future lockdowns are needed.

They will also play a role in the reopening of international borders, which is expected to
begin from later this year.

The Pfizer vaccine is due to be rolled out nationally from the end of this month, while the
distribution of AstraZeneca is due in March.

The federal parliament last week passed laws that require vaccine providers to record all the
vaccines they administer, including the COVID-19 vaccine, on the national register.

Previously, the reporting of vaccinations had been voluntary.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/federal-government-reveals-plans-for-proof-of-vaccination-certificates-to-be-stored-and-displayed-on-phone-apps/news-story/5eec12b6058215777ed43d5221160df7

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to if they don't see a need to identify the vaccinated from the unvaccinated.

Yeah right

No plans for ‘discriminatory’ Covid vaccine passports, Nadhim Zahawi says | The Independent

cheers

45 minutes ago, Bazle said:

It seems that this is not an existing cancer drug but one under development, so it will have to go through all the trials and testing. No quick fix then, but hopefully something on the not too distant horizon.

Hopefully.. the more treatments and vaccines that come online the better..

21 minutes ago, roobob said:

Typical woke UK politician....discriminatory?....total fucking bollocks.

I suppose if we have vaccine passports we'll have to stop all the cunts coming over in dinghies.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Typical woke UK politician....discriminatory?....total fucking bollocks.

I suppose if we have vaccine passports we'll have to stop all the cunts coming over in dinghies.

Well it could be discriminatory. 

What if someone has a genuine medical reason not to be able to take the vaccine.... should they be not allowed to travel???  

cheers

8 minutes ago, roobob said:

Well it could be discriminatory. 

What if someone has a genuine medical reason not to be able to take the vaccine.... should they be not allowed to travel???  

cheers

Obviously there would have to be exceptions but subject to safeguards,like the 72hr test beforehand and quarantine.

A Covid vaccination certificate or 'passport' would surely be a good thing for the majority of folks who want to travel?

Edited by coxyhog

6 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Obviously there would have to be exceptions but subject to safeguards,like the 72hr test beforehand and quarantine.

A Covid vaccination certificate or 'passport' would surely be a good thing for the majority of folks who want to travel?

I think the uk’s hand will be forced as other countries seem to be keen on the idea.....