COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

17 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Obviously there would have to be exceptions but subject to safeguards,like the 72hr test beforehand and quarantine.

A Covid vaccination certificate or 'passport' would surely be a good thing for the majority of folks who want to travel?

That is what the fellow said.... if you want to travel just get a vaccination certificate from a GP... or better still...from where you got the jab..... so is there a need for a "passport".

cheers

Edited by roobob

9 minutes ago, roobob said:

That is what the fellow said.... if you want to travel just get a vaccination certificate from a GP... or better still...from where you got the jab..... so is there a need for a "passport".

cheers

Surely 'passport' is a misnomer....what's the difference between one and a cert,just so long as the cert is re-useable?

14 minutes ago, roobob said:

cheers

I think you are using the word ‘passport’ too literally. Most of the way people are talking about this is just some form of evidence of vaccination.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Washedup said:

Covid-19: uk vindicated over brave decision to delay second vaccine dose WHO official says..

Dr David nabarro has thanked British scientists who " taught a great lesson for the rest of the world". 👍

Have to say I had my doubts about the delaying the second jab as it went against the clinical trials but fantastic it's working out.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Washedup said:

Covid-19: uk vindicated over brave decision to delay second vaccine dose WHO official says..

Dr David nabarro has thanked British scientists who " taught a great lesson for the rest of the world". 👍

21 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Have to say I had my doubts about the delaying the second jab as it went against the clinical trials but fantastic it's working out.

I haven't been around for awhile and I don't really understand anything about the delaying of the 2nd shot. Could you enlighten me on this please.

48 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

I haven't been around for awhile and I don't really understand anything about the delaying of the 2nd shot. Could you enlighten me on this please.

Apparently the findings are with the delay of the second jab..it seems to be associated with greater protection..dr nabarro of WHO..goes on to say thank you thank you British scientists..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thumper63 said:

All of the vaccines went through clinical trials based on a set time period between the first and the second dose, a 3 week gap was the most common.

For Pfizer for example,  a 3 week gap meant the vaccine was 95% effective, so 10's of thousand of trial results were based on this gap. More importantly this was the basis on which the vaccine was approved as being safe for use.

The UK went out on a limb and decided that the second shot could be delayed up 12 weeks( no other country in the world was doing this). The rationale being with a limited vaccine supply the first dose provided the majority of the protection (though not 95%).

There was only limited data to support this call but most vaccines behave this way.

COVID has been raging in the UK, so the scientists felt the benefit of giving more people a single shot and waiting for the second, was on balance worth the risk of ignoring the dosage regime that was proven to work in trials.

Sorry for the long answer, not an easy one to explain in a paragraph, hopefully I've made sense🙂

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just better hope the South African variant doesn't get a foothold.

South Africa suspends AstraZeneca rollout after testing

AstraZeneca revealed on Sunday that data from an early trial showed its vaccine could
prevent serious illness brought on by the South African COVID-19 variant but offered
“minimal protection” against mild illness.

South Africa had planned to administer the AstraZeneca vaccine to frontline workers soon
but will offer them doses of the Pfizer jab following the result.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/south-africa-suspends-astrazeneca-rollout-after-testing/news-story/bf1543bfb81a5d40b0952ece8a0cc843

9 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Surely 'passport' is a misnomer....what's the difference between one and a cert,just so long as the cert is re-useable?

IATA call their idea Travel Pass not Travel Cert.

image.png

What ever name it goes by, it's going to have to be accepted by all countries.

IATA's proposal.

https://www.icao.int/MID/Documents/2020/3rd MID DGCA Virtual Meeting/DGCA-MID3 Virtual Meeting- 7 December 2020- IATA.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, fygjam said:

IATA call their idea Travel Pass not Travel Cert.

image.png

What ever name it goes by, it's going to have to be accepted by all countries.

IATA's proposal.

https://www.icao.int/MID/Documents/2020/3rd MID DGCA Virtual Meeting/DGCA-MID3 Virtual Meeting- 7 December 2020- IATA.pdf

I really don't care what type of travel authority will allow me to enter a country of my choice once that country is open for tourism but I would be worried that I could be prevented from traveling because one country will not accept what is available to me to confirm my vaccination history.

It would be discriminatory if another country didn't want me because my certificate, documentation etc wasn't acceptable to them but that would not be their fault, it is their prerogative to determine their entry requirements but I would be pissed off with my own government for not giving me the means to travel freely.

Hopefully I am worrying unduly for nothing.

54 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I really don't care what type of travel authority will allow me to enter a country of my choice once that country is open for tourism but I would be worried that I could be prevented from traveling because one country will not accept what is available to me to confirm my vaccination history.

It would be discriminatory if another country didn't want me because my certificate, documentation etc wasn't acceptable to them but that would not be their fault, it is their prerogative to determine their entry requirements but I would be pissed off with my own government for not giving me the means to travel freely.

Hopefully I am worrying unduly for nothing.

I think so, it's very early days and I believe it will all get sorted as we evolve out of this shite.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

All of the vaccines went through clinical trials based on a set time period between the first and the second dose, a 3 week gap was the most common.

For Pfizer for example,  a 3 week gap meant the vaccine was 95% effective, so 10's of thousand of trial results were based on this gap. More importantly this was the basis on which the vaccine was approved as being safe for use.

The UK went out on a limb and decided that the second shot could be delayed up 12 weeks( no other country in the world was doing this). The rationale being with a limited vaccine supply the first dose provided the majority of the protection (though not 95%).

There was only limited data to support this call but most vaccines behave this way.

COVID has been raging in the UK, so the scientists felt the benefit of giving more people a single shot and waiting for the second, was on balance worth the risk of ignoring the dosage regime that was proven to work in trials.

Sorry for the long answer, not an easy one to explain in a paragraph, hopefully I've made sense🙂

Perfectly good sense.... and thank you. It's a pretty gutsy move on your government's behalf to go out on the proverbial limb like that. But it seems that time has proven it to be a wise decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Yawn.....

Fatigue after COVID-19

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/fatigue-after-coronavirus.html

Symptoms of fatigue
Symptoms of fatigue include:

1. doing tasks in the wrong order
  2. finding it increasingly difficult to perform more than one task at once
  3. forgetting to do things often
  4. working on automatic and not thinking
  5. falling asleep for small amounts of time
  6. feeling tired or yawning all the time
  7. .....

------------------------------------------

Capture.JPG

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Perfectly good sense.... and thank you. It's a pretty gutsy move on your government's behalf to go out on the proverbial limb like that. But it seems that time has proven it to be a wise decision.

They never stated that delaying the second jag would not work they simply did not have the data to prove that it would.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jambo said:

They never stated that delaying the second jag would not work they simply did not have the data to prove that it would.

Which proves that trusting the experience and in depth knowledge of the subect matter experts can be better than blindly following only the data.

I would, as an engineer, not have said so until fairly recently, but we have increasingly been moving from STEM to STEAM, adding the Arts to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths in our thinking and this is a great example of minds being open enough to embrace this approach.