COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

10 hours ago, fygjam said:

For the lockdown gym junkies who feel the need to make up for lost time.

Too much high-intensity exercise may be bad for your health

https://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/too-much-high-intensity-exercise-may-be-bad-for-your-health-20210329-p57eu3.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/well/move/exercise-hiit.html

At my age, there's no chance of me doing HIIT every day, and doing my first class tonight, so i'm all good :pipe:

21 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

My 91yo mother has her second AZ jab on Saturday.

19 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I hope I get to live that long. 

Don't give up hope NC, I'm sure you'll make it to Saturday.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fforest said:

I think Sinovac or Sputnik are the safest....Followed by AstraZeneca

You do realize that AZ, Sputnik and J&J are basically identical, using a genetically modified Adenovirus to deliver the genetic code for the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein into your cells.

Similarly Pfizer and Moderna are almost identical, both use mRNA with an engineered mutation developed at the NIH Vaccine Research Center (plus other labs). J&J uses the same engineered mutation but the DNA version.

Sinovac is an inactivated virus vaccine. You should read about the Cutter Incident first.

Mmmm -

Sick for the long haul: One third of COVID-19 patients have symptoms for eight months

One in three Australian COVID-19 patients is still battling symptoms eight months after being infected, and youth is no protection against the debilitating effects of ‘Long COVID’.

The landmark ADAPT study shows 32 per cent of 81 COVID-19 patients diagnosed at St Vincent’s Hospital’s testing clinics reported still feeling ill 240 days post-infection.

An alarming one in five (19 per cent) still met the criteria for debilitating ‘Long COVID’ at the eight-month mark, experiencing fatigue, laboured breathing or tightness in their chest long after their infection had passed, the researchers at St Vincent’s and the Kirby Institute found.

Of the patients who met the criteria for ‘Long COVID’, almost half (46 per cent) said they had not fully recovered, the researchers reported in their paper published on Wednesday to the pre-print server medRxiv which is not yet peer-reviewed.

Dr David Darley, lead author and respiratory physician, said older age was not associated with an increased risk of Long COVID.

“Which means this syndrome can affect you at any age,” Dr Darley said.

Patients didn’t show any significant signs of improvements between their four-month and eight-month assessments.

“This is what really worried us … because this is not just any virus where normally people recover in two or three weeks. This has to be taken very seriously because not only does it have bad acute effects but there almost seems to be this considerable group of patients that have persistent symptoms we don’t understand,” Dr Darley said.

“Anecdotally, some patients are still symptomatic a year on,” Dr Darley said.

Derek Young, 55, still feels the brain fog of COVID-19 more than a year after he tested positive in mid-March 2020. The high fever, sweats, shivering and muscle aches had all passed within six weeks, but the “incredible fatigue” dragged on for eight months.

“At first I was sleeping 22 of 24 hours a day, but for months I would have a good run of three or four days, then have to take a day off to just sleep,” he said.

“Everyday functions – internet banking – I couldn’t do. To this day I’ll still forget something, or reach for a word I can’t find.”

His wife, Gabriela Domicelj, had far more pernicious symptoms.

“Gabriela was hospitalised three times with severe respiratory disorder. She had severe insomnia, headaches, loss of smell and taste, her hair started falling out,” Mr Young said.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/sick-for-the-long-haul-one-third-of-covid-19-patients-have-symptoms-for-eight-months-20210330-p57fbl.html

• Great Info 1

France risks 'losing control' over Covid-19 spread without stricter national measures -- Macron

Paris (CNN)French President Emmanuel Macron announced tougher national coronavirus restrictions Wednesday, saying the country must take a "new direction" in its approach to fighting Covid-19 or risk "losing control" over the virus.

The measures will start Saturday and last for at least a month, Macron said in a televised national address.
Under the "limited lockdown," curfews will remain in place, domestic travel will be limited and people will be asked to work from home. Nurseries and primary and secondary schools will be closed for at least three weeks, Macron said.

The new variant first detected in the United Kingdom has created an "epidemic within an epidemic" and it is more contagious and deadly, he said.

Almost 44% of all Covid patients in intensive care units are under the age of 65, the President said. He insisted that France had made the "right choices" so far, but added that in the past few weeks the vaccine has "accelerated" and "things have changed."

Macron has faced growing criticism over his approach to the current Covid-19 surge. His administration has until now favored regional restrictions instead of the strict national lockdowns imposed in other European nations, against the advice of France's scientific council.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/31/europe/france-macron-lockdown-coronavirus-intl/index.html

2 minutes ago, Zeb said:

France risks 'losing control' over Covid-19 spread without stricter national measures -- Macron

Paris (CNN)French President Emmanuel Macron announced tougher national coronavirus restrictions Wednesday, saying the country must take a "new direction" in its approach to fighting Covid-19 or risk "losing control" over the virus.

The measures will start Saturday and last for at least a month, Macron said in a televised national address.
Under the "limited lockdown," curfews will remain in place, domestic travel will be limited and people will be asked to work from home. Nurseries and primary and secondary schools will be closed for at least three weeks, Macron said.

The new variant first detected in the United Kingdom has created an "epidemic within an epidemic" and it is more contagious and deadly, he said.

Almost 44% of all Covid patients in intensive care units are under the age of 65, the President said. He insisted that France had made the "right choices" so far, but added that in the past few weeks the vaccine has "accelerated" and "things have changed."

Macron has faced growing criticism over his approach to the current Covid-19 surge. His administration has until now favored regional restrictions instead of the strict national lockdowns imposed in other European nations, against the advice of France's scientific council.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/31/europe/france-macron-lockdown-coronavirus-intl/index.html

He obviously needs Spicy to tell him it's all bollocks, crack open another bintang, and don't give a hoot!

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

He obviously needs Spicy to tell him it's all bollocks, crack open another bintang, and don't give a hoot!

Now now, behave!

Looks like the French fish are going to be safe for another year. :default_1087:

Edited by boydeste

Most of the EU are buckling again, we need to close the borders to them for the next wee while until they get a grip.

We can have a great summer, pubs, restaurants, concerts, festivals, spectators at the footie, and mostly normality going forward. 

As much as i would love to go on holiday this summer, i'd gladly forsake it to get us back on track.

Just look at Gibraltar with crowds in at the boxing last weekend, Israel getting normality back, all due to getting vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Most of the EU are buckling again, we need to close the borders to them for the next wee while until they get a grip.

We can have a great summer, pubs, restaurants, concerts, festivals, spectators at the footie, and mostly normality going forward. 

As much as i would love to go on holiday this summer, i'd gladly forsake it to get us back on track.

Just look at Gibraltar with crowds in at the boxing last weekend, Israel getting normality back, all due to getting vaccinated.

Ditto from me.

I can always go terrorize the fish in my local rivers if my lakes are busy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krapow said:

We're staying close to home until vaccination rates are up and Covid cases are way down. Too many selfish people out there infecting others. Maybe a road trip up to the Sierra Nevadas to visit my old buddy with the great mountain house...that's about it.

We won't be going to Asia (primarily to visit grandparents) until Summer 2022 at the earliest. I've made the trip too many times to care about going at all on my own account.

1 minute ago, lazarus said:

We're staying close to home until vaccination rates are up and Covid cases are way down. Too many selfish people out there infecting others. Maybe a road trip up to the Sierra Nevadas to visit my old buddy with the great mountain house...that's about it.

We won't be going to Asia (primarily to visit grandparents) until Summer 2022 at the earliest. I've made the trip too many times to care about going at all on my own account.

We're already booked a camping trip this summer in the UK, our by then 5 year old daughter will love it out in the tent.

Hopeful for Thailand over Christmas though, moreso for my wife to see her family, she wouldn't go without our daughter ...

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Krapow said:

At a recent press briefing Bojo acknowledged that we are usually 3 weeks or so behind the continent... Prof Whitty pointed out that when the "next wave" arrives from the continent it would hit a wall of vaccinated people...

In my gloomier moments I just hope the vaccine wall is effective.... but would much prefer that the "next wave" didn't arrive in the first place...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Painter said:

At a recent press briefing Bojo acknowledged that we are usually 3 weeks or so behind the continent... Prof Whitty pointed out that when the "next wave" arrives from the continent it would hit a wall of vaccinated people...

In my gloomier moments I just hope the vaccine wall is effective.... but would much prefer that the "next wave" didn't arrive in the first place...

Even if infection cases do go up, which i don't they will in any substantial number, it's the hospitalisations and death numbers now, due to the vaccination. And with the vaccination, they should continue to drop even if actual infections go up.