COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Some disappointing, but not unexpected news from the US.

America may be close to hitting a vaccine wall

There are growing signs that parts of the country may be close to meeting demand for the coronavirus vaccine — well before the U.S. has reached herd immunity.

Why it matters: For the last few months, the primary focus of the U.S. has been getting shots to everyone who wants them, as quickly as possible. Soon, that focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.
Driving the news: An analysis released by Surgo Ventures yesterday concluded that "the supply-demand shift for the vaccine will happen earlier than expected — as early as the end of April — and before the nation reaches the 70-90% threshold for achieving herd immunity."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-03-24/when-will-covid-end-we-must-start-planning-for-a-permanent-pandemic

We Must Start Planning For a Permanent Pandemic

With coronavirus mutations pitted against vaccinations in a global arms race, we may never go back to normal.

^ hope this one is wrong ...

So peoples lives will all revolve around covid forever more....

6 hours ago, fforest said:

So peoples lives will all revolve around covid forever more....

It reminds me of one of the well-known sci-fi stories (I can't remember which one, it might even have been an episode of Star Trek) where society has become completely dominated by youth, to the extent that as soon as they hit their 21st or 25th birthdays (or whatever) they were given a grand party at which they were exterminated. The virus isn't a danger to the young, so unless we get some sort of universal vaccine against all coronaviruses (and they are working on such a thing) maybe most of us old duffers will simply die out and leave the planet to the young and the asymptomatic. 

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

It reminds me of one of the well-known sci-fi stories (I can't remember which one, it might even have been an episode of Star Trek) where society has become completely dominated by youth, to the extent that as soon as they hit their 21st or 25th birthdays (or whatever) they were given a grand party at which they were exterminated. The virus isn't a danger to the young, so unless we get some sort of universal vaccine against all coronaviruses (and they are working on such a thing) maybe most of us old duffers will simply die out and leave the planet to the young and the asymptomatic. 

In the movie Hawaii (1966), didn't the tribal elders get to fuk all the young chick before their skulls were smashed in with rocks and they were thrown into the sea off a cliff?

How about old farts get to fuk all the young chicks and then see if the 'rona gets them.

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, Bazle said:

Thanks for that. The neanderthals at my GP do not allow you to message them, nor let you see your records. This message comes up if you try:

Sorry, your practice does not offer this service.

However, I double-checked before posting this, and I can now access my records, but they show only my (first) Covid jab.

Just checked, my 2nd Pfizer jab i got on Wed is on my medical record already, so good to go for whatever type of vaccine passport they will use, hopefully exclude me from quarantine on return if able to go on holiday this Summer.

• Like 2

From Wall Street Journal but also on many sources:

The European Union’s health agency is investigating a small number of reports of severe blood clots among people who have received the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.

There have been four reported cases of serious blood clots, including one death, in people who received the J&J vaccine, the European Medicines Agency said on Friday. One case occurred in a clinical trial and three were in people given the shot as part of the U.S. vaccination campaign.

"At present, no clear causal relationship has been established between these rare events and the Janssen Covid-19 vaccine."

1 minute ago, bob lt said:

From Wall Street Journal but also on many sources:

The European Union’s health agency is investigating a small number of reports of severe blood clots among people who have received the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.

There have been four reported cases of serious blood clots, including one death, in people who received the J&J vaccine, the European Medicines Agency said on Friday. One case occurred in a clinical trial and three were in people given the shot as part of the U.S. vaccination campaign.

"At present, no clear causal relationship has been established between these rare events and the Janssen Covid-19 vaccine."

It's quite similar to the Oxford one, so not unexpected, at least the scrutiny, and rightly so as well ...

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-03-24/when-will-covid-end-we-must-start-planning-for-a-permanent-pandemic

We Must Start Planning For a Permanent Pandemic

With coronavirus mutations pitted against vaccinations in a global arms race, we may never go back to normal.

^ hope this one is wrong ...

I was at a team meeting on Thursday afternoon, where our Head of Service said she had been at the meeting that morning which included Dido Harding, who apparently said 'Covid isn't going anywhere', 

Our HOS was talking to us in the context of future funding and Public Health in England, but i felt Harding's comment was quite telling in where we're going with all this ...

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Logan's Run

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, john luke said:

Untitled-2.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

My Covid lateral flow test kit from the NHS has just been delivered.  Corporate badging with NHS logo etc.  Guess where they are made?  

Much cheaper to manufacture there than in Uk, I suspect. Just as most products theses days. 

15 hours ago, john luke said:

IMG_1189.jpg

My Covid lateral flow test kit from the NHS has just been delivered.  Corporate badging with NHS logo etc.  Guess where they are made?  

Watch yourself there, mate. The favourite theory of the Chinese government to explain the origin of the virus is that it arrived in their country from overseas via packaging, probably frozen food. Although they don't point the finger too obviously, they seem to think that the original source was the US. Very little frozen food is now allowed to be imported there anyway, and what there is must go through strict checks. No doubt, they've been watching Vlad's tactics and may decide to make a point about the packaging carrying the virus, lol.

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Pfizer expects higher COVID-19 vaccine prices and yearly boosters, CFO says. And that means big sales long-term

You're one of the nutters that won't take it anyway, so no need for you to post it once, nevermind getting that excited you posted it 3 times!

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You're one of the nutters that won't take it anyway, so no need for you to post it once, nevermind getting that excited you posted it 3 times!

From 01/01/22 a vaccine certificate will be required before you can post on this forum.  

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Krapow said:

2 times.....The first was a mistake I fixed and 2 and 3 would not fit on the same post..