Jump to content

COVID 19 GLOBAL (non Thailand) Posts


Recommended Posts

Sure...it's all good...until it isn't. Good thing it's very rare.

(text posted due to paywall)

With millions vaccinated, rare side-effects of jabs are emerging
The challenge is to sort them from the medical emergencies that happen every day

CHRIS WHITTY, England’s chief medical officer, vividly recalls a nerve-racking moment on December 8th 2020. That was the day when England became the first country to roll out a covid-19 vaccine, a jab developed by Pfizer and BioNTech. Near midnight on vaccination day one “We were discussing it and just thinking ‘What are we dealing with here? These are small numbers and we’ve already had several dangerous near misses’,” said Dr Whitty in a recent talk at the Royal Society of Medicine. In some people, it had turned out, the vaccine sets off anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction. But this is rare. It occurred just once among the 22,000 or so people vaccinated in the trial, which could have been by chance. Now, with hundreds of millions vaccinated, the rate at which it occurs is clearer: five per million.

Fortunately, this side-effect is not only extremely rare but shows up soon after the jab. And treatment for it exists. Everyone who receives the Pfizer vaccine is now asked to stick around for 15 minutes, just in case. There have been no deaths from anaphylaxis related to the vaccine.

As millions of jabs of various covid-19 vaccines are administered every day, such rare adverse reactions will inevitably emerge. On April 7th both Britain’s health officials and the European Medicines Agency (EMA), which regulates drugs in the European Union, said there is strong evidence that AstraZeneca’s covid-19 vaccine may be linked with very rare blood clots, often in the brain or the abdomen. The EMA experts reached their conclusion based on a review of 86 reported cases, 18 of which were fatal. Britain’s experts reached the same conclusion from data on 79 cases, 19 of which were fatal. Both the EMA and Britain’s drug regulator concluded that the vaccine’s benefits outweigh the potential risk of the clots. But Britain’s officials, armed as usual with some nifty charts for their televised briefing, said that for people under 30 the risks and benefits from the vaccine were “finely balanced”, so a different jab may be preferable.

The investigation of the suspected clots from the AstraZeneca jab has been a prime example of the challenge of sorting the signal of a vaccine’s side-effects from the cacophony of medical emergencies that happen to millions of people every day. Vaccine-safety experts have two ways to untangle whether a rare medical problem is caused by a vaccine, says Kathryn Edwards of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, in Nashville, Tennessee. They can compare its rate in vaccinated people against the “background” rates of it that are observed in the unvaccinated. And they can look for unusual features of the medical condition being investigated.

The first signals emerged in late February, when doctors in several European countries noticed clusters of blood clots in people recently given the AstraZeneca jab, some of whom died. Most were women under 60, which was not terribly surprising because many EU countries were, at first, not convinced that the jab worked in the elderly and used it largely for essential workers, such as nurses, teachers and social-care workers—professions in which most employees are women.

The EMA’s data as of March 22nd suggested that the rate of brain clots in people under the age of 60 who had had Astra­Zeneca’s vaccine was one in 100,000—higher than would be expected normally. Precisely how much higher, though, is hard to tell. The rates of such rare and difficult-to-diagnose conditions vary a lot by country, age and sex. Estimates of the incidence of such brain clots have ranged from 0.22 to 1.57 cases per 100,000 people per year, and they are more common in younger people and women.

As doctors began to look more closely, something curious emerged. Many patients with suspected clots from the vaccine had unusually low levels of platelets. These are fragments of special precursor cells that float in the blood. Their job is to form blood clots (they rush to the site of a cut or other bleeding). Low platelet levels therefore usually result in uncontrolled bleeding, not clots.

With this new information to hand, Britain’s medical regulators searched their data on vaccinated people for the unusual tandem of clots and low platelet counts. They found four cases per million people vaccinated, a rate several times lower than in the EU. One explanation is that Britain, unlike the rest of Europe, had used the jab primarily in older people. The rate at which the clots occurred in Britain declined steadily with age. Importantly, Britain’s experts found that the clots occurred as much in men as they did in women.

This combination of blood clots and low platelet counts is something that doctors know how to diagnose and treat, says Jean Marie Connors, a haematologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, in Boston. It resembles a condition seen in some people who are given heparin, a drug used widely to treat blood clots. For unknown reasons, some people develop an immune reaction to heparin, which results in blood clotting so profound that it depletes their platelets. The same reaction appears to be provoked by the vaccine.

Medical societies in several countries have already issued guidelines to doctors on how to spot and treat this rare reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine. With vigilance and appropriate care, the extremely rare deaths that may result from it will become even rarer.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2021/04/08/with-millions-vaccinated-rare-side-effects-of-jabs-are-emerging?utm_campaign=coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2021-04-10&utm_content=article-link-1&etear=nl_special_1

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and the lads out in Afghanistan. There was about 60 of us surrounded by hundreds of Taliban. The temp. was pushing 50 when we got there. We went out on patrol every day carrying 50-6

I have just found out that a friend of mine took his own life on Friday night. He has had depression issues in the past, but always managed to pull through. Speaking to him a couple of weeks ago he to

Love or hate the man, he is the elected leader of the UK, and given the circumstances, probably the most important person in the UK at this time and arguably perhaps anytime post WW2. Him being i

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sangsom said:

A company trying make money.......imagine the shock and horror in that.....

The price of the covid vaccines were mostly lower due to subsidies from Europe, UK and USA in aiding the development in such a short time. 

Obviously in time that development money will need to be replaced with direct pricing increases especially if there is a need to have an ongoing booster.

I don't see a problem in an increase. It seems some members just don't get it and the constant need to try and show Covid, the vaccine and anything that actually protects people in a negative light seems to be the reason they get up in the morning...sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Obviously in time that development money will need to be replaced with direct pricing increases especially if there is a need to have an ongoing booster.

In the US, Vaccinations are free to the public I believe.

The Government  sees a general need for as many people to be immune regardless of the ability / willingness to be jabbed.

Since this is a single payer product, there is no huge profits to be made.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, john luke said:

From 01/01/22 a vaccine certificate will be required before you can post on this forum.  

Well that will rule out all of us expats in Thailand, lol!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out and about today in UK today. With the second phase of Covid rules being relaxed, the roads were busier than I have seen for months both with cars and people. I drove past a number of pubs with people drinking outside and shoppers eagerly queuing outside several shops. 

I had two thoughts. 

On one hand it was nice to see some normality but on the other hand I worry that things are happening too quickly and would dead to see a repeat of last year's relaxation and a spike in cases. I really hope that this time it will be different. I don't think we are ready to go full normal and the 3rd phase will depend on the data from. This current 2nd phase. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fforest said:

 

This is what happens when you watch T.V.....

Image

More like what happens when people watch Jake the Asshole on YouTube and they think this is what is happening in the real world.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I was out and about today in UK today. With the second phase of Covid rules being relaxed, the roads were busier than I have seen for months both with cars and people. I drove past a number of pubs with people drinking outside and shoppers eagerly queuing outside several shops. 

I had two thoughts. 

On one hand it was nice to see some normality but on the other hand I worry that things are happening too quickly and would dead to see a repeat of last year's relaxation and a spike in cases. I really hope that this time it will be different. I don't think we are ready to go full normal and the 3rd phase will depend on the data from. This current 2nd phase. 

Then what were the vaccines for and double vaccines in a lot of cases too now.

Full steam ahead from here on in if you ask me well over 70% of the population it was all about saving the NHS , that's done.Life goes on..

I went back to the gym yesterday it was packed no social distancing , people actually getting on with life and not flapping every two seconds.It was the most normal I've felt in a year and I'll be doing the same all week.

Manchester Saturday few shops for some clobber and a few beers outside if it's sunny (which is forecast) 

Get on with life now it's there for the taking that's what I signed up for with the Vax and that's what I'm gonna do.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, roomark said:

Then what were the vaccines for and double vaccines in a lot of cases too now.

Full steam ahead from here on in if you ask me well over 70% of the population it was all about saving the NHS , that's done.Life goes on..

I went back to the gym yesterday it was packed no social distancing , people actually getting on with life and not flapping every two seconds.It was the most normal I've felt in a year and I'll be doing the same all week.

Manchester Saturday few shops for some clobber and a few beers outside if it's sunny (which is forecast) 

Get on with life now it's there for the taking that's what I signed up for with the Vax and that's what I'm gonna do.

 

Not quite...

'Reality check' ahead as WHO warns against virus complacency

The World Health Organisation has issued a warning against coronavirus "complacency" as a
number of countries record a worrying spike in cases.

Representatives from the WHO pointed out that after cases and deaths declined at the beginning
of the year, the global situation had worsened dramatically in recent weeks.

“We are in a critical point of the pandemic right now,” Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s
technical lead on COVID-19, told reporters.

"The trajectory of this pandemic is growing. It is growing exponentially."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roomark said:

Then what were the vaccines for and double vaccines in a lot of cases too now.

Full steam ahead from here on in if you ask me well over 70% of the population it was all about saving the NHS , that's done.Life goes on..

I went back to the gym yesterday it was packed no social distancing , people actually getting on with life and not flapping every two seconds.It was the most normal I've felt in a year and I'll be doing the same all week.

Manchester Saturday few shops for some clobber and a few beers outside if it's sunny (which is forecast) 

Get on with life now it's there for the taking that's what I signed up for with the Vax and that's what I'm gonna do.

 

I would very much hope so but not sure whether it should be Full Steam quite yet. 

It feels a bit like a pressure cooker, and the steam suddenly released. 

It's natural that we all crave for some normality after so many dark months and the warmer brighter weather adds to that euphoria.

Personally speaking, I will feel a lot more at ease when we get to June and the figures remain low. To go into another lock down in Autumn would be a disaster. 

I still think that we should enter this new phase with cautious optimism. 

If the vaccination program achieves longer term objectives,then we maybe out of the woods, but it doesn't immune us from catching or spreading the virus. It just gives us antibodies to fight the symptoms which are not 100% effective. 

Maybe I am being slightly too pessimistic. I hope so. 

I am very much looking forward to getting a haircut on Wednesday. ☺️☺️

 

  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I am very much looking forward to getting a haircut on Wednesday. ☺️☺️

 

You're really trying to jinx this aren't you.

Do not get a haircut on a Wednesday

Most hairdressers are closed on a Wednesday and not just for no good reason. Thais believe it is
not only bad luck to have your haircut on a Wednesday but that it is also an auspicious day.

Best day to get a haircut in Thailand

The old belief that you shouldn’t cut your hair on a Wednesday does mean that some barber shops in Thailand are closed for the day. However, trendier hair salons and beauty shops will normally be open, especially in shopping malls and in cities. With a new generation of Thais challenging some of the old traditions and beliefs, you can normally find somewhere open if you are desperate for a haircut on a Wednesday. But if you don’t want to tempt fate, there are other more auspicious days to go for a trim:

  • Monday – cutting your hair on a Monday is meant to bring you long life.
  • Tuesday – brings you power.
  • Wednesday – bad luck; don’t do it!
  • Thursday – you’ll be protected by guardian angels.
  • Friday – you’ll never want for anything.
  • Saturday – a good day for a haircut if you are looking for admiration.
  • Sunday – a short back and sides on a Sunday will bring you long life.

Acknowledgements: Denis Segaller (Thai Ways)

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My "Gastro" pub reopened yesterday after been closed for 4 months! Absolutely mental! (why oh why did I rota myself a 8am-11pm shift!!!!)Fully booked online for the past 2 weeks and then the queue for people just wanting to come on and have a few beers was all the way down the path!!

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fygjam said:

Not quite...

'Reality check' ahead as WHO warns against virus complacency

The World Health Organisation has issued a warning against coronavirus "complacency" as a
number of countries record a worrying spike in cases.

Representatives from the WHO pointed out that after cases and deaths declined at the beginning
of the year, the global situation had worsened dramatically in recent weeks.

“We are in a critical point of the pandemic right now,” Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s
technical lead on COVID-19, told reporters.

"The trajectory of this pandemic is growing. It is growing exponentially."

 

We are all mainly vaccined in the top 9 groups so as far as I'm concerned it's done, that's what we were told and we have done it at a rapid rate in The U.K

Life goes on and the figures seem to show that .

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was posted on another forum in a discussion about vaccinations etc:

We just had a brochure from Princess Cruises featuring UK coastal cruises. It says "Given the advanced progress of the UK vaccination programme, and strong expressed preferences on the part of guests for this limited series of coastal cruises, these sailings will be for UK resident COVID 19 vaccinated guests only"

Expect more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

This was posted on another forum in a discussion about vaccinations etc:

We just had a brochure from Princess Cruises featuring UK coastal cruises. It says "Given the advanced progress of the UK vaccination programme, and strong expressed preferences on the part of guests for this limited series of coastal cruises, these sailings will be for UK resident COVID 19 vaccinated guests only"

Expect more.

Makes sense especially as a big chunk of cruise customers are coffin dodgers.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Makes sense especially as a big chunk of cruise customers are coffin dodgers.

I must be in the coffin dodgers bracket and I regularly receive mail from Saga. But the idea of a cruise does not appeal to me one bit. Confined to a ship for days with the only talent being dried up old ladies, smelling of stale piss and playing bingo is not my cup of tea for a post Covid holiday. 😁

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Makes sense especially as a big chunk of cruise customers are coffin dodgers.

Lol reminds me of the other forum where we used to get into Young vs Old and always get a bite funny days..We couldn't do it now though because we're borderline 🙈🤣🤣

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fygjam said:

Not quite...

'Reality check' ahead as WHO warns against virus complacency

The World Health Organisation has issued a warning against coronavirus "complacency" as a
number of countries record a worrying spike in cases.

Representatives from the WHO pointed out that after cases and deaths declined at the beginning
of the year, the global situation had worsened dramatically in recent weeks.

“We are in a critical point of the pandemic right now,” Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s
technical lead on COVID-19, told reporters.

"The trajectory of this pandemic is growing. It is growing exponentially."

 

All very well them going on about other countries, but we are vaccinating far more of our people than most other countries, so we should be getting back to normal far quicker than them. 

Scientists have had their taste of power and fame and don't want to give it up so are scaremongering and dragging it out as much as possible. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

All very well them going on about other countries, but we are vaccinating far more of our people than most other countries, so we should be getting back to normal far quicker than them. 

Scientists have had their taste of power and fame and don't want to give it up so are scaremongering and dragging it out as much as possible. 

Better safe than sorry.

Wait until the coast is clear.

You jump first.

Famous last words.

. . .

All come to mind.

BETTERSAFETHANSORRYfacemaskblack_1200x1200.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Makes sense especially as a big chunk of cruise customers are coffin dodgers.

I guess at 67 I'm a coffin dodger but I've never even entertained the idea of a cruise,it just doesn't appeal to me.

Apart from that the missus gets awfully seasick,when we lived on the Isle of Man she used to get in a right old state on the ferries.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roomark said:

Lol reminds me of the other forum where we used to get into Young vs Old and always get a bite funny days..We couldn't do it now though because we're borderline 🙈🤣🤣

Wonder if foxy is still around? He’d be into his 80s now if his clogs haven’t popped.

That older American dude with the big ego who still thought he was a chick magnet was also great to wind up 🎣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...