COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Health services across the UK have now administered over 36.6 million vaccines between 8 December and 02 April, including over 31.4 million people with their first dose and over 5.2 million with their second.

19 People have died from blood clots.Now the Covid deniers are very fond of saying that a lot of the people who have died from it 'Were going to die anyway"....maybe those blood clots were going to happen anyway.

The risk of developing a blood clot after having COVID-19 is eight times higher than after being given the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, according to a study by Oxford University.

Cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) occurred in 39 in a million COVID-19 patients, compared with about five in a million people given the AstraZeneca jab.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/15/blood-clot-risk-eight-times-higher-catching-covid-astrazeneca/amp/

(thanks mum!!)

The blood clot risk from getting Covid is around eight times greater than that from the AstraZeneca jab, research by Oxford University suggests. 

The study of half a million Covid patients found that, overall, getting the virus increased the chance of cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) 100-fold compared with the risk for those without coronavirus. 

In total, 39 in a million Covid patients suffered the rare type of clot, compared with rates of five in a million for those given the AstraZeneca jab and four in a million for those who had Pfizer or Moderna.

Last week, the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation (JCVI) changed its advice to say that under-30s should be offered an alternative to AstraZeneca after the jab was linked to an increased chance of rare clots.

The new research is the first major study to show how much greater the risk is from getting Covid. It found that the trend was similar across all age groups, with almost one third of clots in Covid patients occurring in the under-30s.

The lead researcher Paul Harrison, a professor of psychiatry and head of the Translational Neurobiology Group at the University of Oxford, said the findings provided crucial information about data which had so far been lacking from the debate.

He said: "There are concerns about possible associations between vaccines and CVT, causing governments and regulators to restrict the use of certain vaccines. Yet one key question remained unknown – what is the risk of CVT following a diagnosis of Covid-19?.

"We've reached two important conclusions. Firstly, Covid-19 markedly increases the risk of CVT, adding to the list of blood clotting problems this infection causes. Secondly, the Covid-19 risk is higher than we see with the current vaccines, even for those under 30 – something that should be taken into account when considering the balances between risks and benefits for vaccination."

Scientists have passed their findings to the JCVI and Prof Chris Whitty, England's chief medical officer, saying the new evidence should be taken into account when considering the balance of risks and benefits for jabs.

JCVI members have said they could consider further changes to their recommendations, as the vaccination programme works through different age cohorts.

This week, the NHS invited everyone aged between 45 and 49 to come forward for jabs. The rollout to all over-40s is expected to take several weeks, as it comes at a time when high numbers of second doses are being administered.

Those in their 30s are likely to start being offered jabs next month. But JCVI members have said they could be asked to take an alternative jab to AstraZeneca depending on what the latest evidence shows. The scientists said that if Covid levels were high, the balance would be more likely to tip in favour of sticking with the existing vaccines. 

The new research counted the number of CVT cases diagnosed in the two weeks following diagnosis of Covid or after the first dose of a vaccine. 

These were compared with incidences of CVT following flu, and the background level in the general population. The study found that overall the risk of the clots was 100 times as high for Covid patients as for those without Covid, and 30 per cent of clots in Covid patients occurred in the under-30s.

Researchers stressed that although the study was carried out by Oxford University, which developed the AstraZeneca vaccine, the research was independent.

edit... @coxyhogedited his post and beat me!

Edited by Painter

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Brownie is posting again on PA. Got out of ASQ last Sunday, just in time to enjoy the bar closures in Pattaya.

thankx for the tip. I might wander over there for a look and see if he remembers me. I'll promise him a bucket of KFC.

• Haha 1

I've enjoyed our year-long local lockdown. Plenty of freedom for Covid low risk activities. Less traffic. Quiet neighborhoods. 

We've had the lowest Covid rate of any large (populous) US county, and the risk is becoming lower with an extensive vaccination program.

Most restrictions on indoor activities end next week. My daughter goes back to onsite school next week. Fingers crossed that there will not be another uptick with loosened restrictions

"...With vaccine appointments now open to all San Franciscans 16 or older, half of the city’s total population has received at least one dose, according to the SFDPH’s vaccine tracker. Japantown has the greatest rate of residents vaccinated, with 61%, while Lakeshore is lagging behind, with 27% of its residents vaccinated..."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/This-San-Francisco-neighborhood-saw-10x-more-16102296.php

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roobob said:

It is quite obvious that lockdowns do not work after they were introduced to be the be all end all as the solution to the problem at hand as the it has been ongoing for over a year now and will extend out further.

Another thing to rear it's ugly head is that some of the "saviour" vaccines that were rushed onto the market with Authorities saying all have to take it is now causing unnecessary deaths that really should have been avoided.,,, but I am sure we will get some here saying that the deaths of those unfortunate people should just be put down to collateral damage. 

Time to open up and let nature take it's course and people to get their lives back on track. This pandemic has turned out to be the biggest farce known to mankind. 

Time for the people to start asking some pertinent questions to the ones in charge as it has clearly been seen that they have the main stream media in their pocket to spruik whatever idea they come up with next and just want the population to follow along like sheep.... and sadly that seems to be the case.

cheers

Have to say I've also come to the conclusion that lockdowns dont' work- sadly I fear that Thailand is about to prove you right.

Vaccines do work though. Prof Tim Spector from the COVID study hitting it just right

https://youtu.be/pD7V26exJuE

He's only going off 4 million people say though- how many of them are bots?

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Surprised 1

16 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Have to say I've also come to the conclusion that lockdowns dont' work- sadly I fear that Thailand is about to prove you right.

Vaccines do work though. Prof Tim Spector from the COVID study hitting it just right

https://youtu.be/pD7V26exJuE

He's only going off 4 million people say though- how many of them are bots?

It's worked pretty well for Thailand so far ... similar population to the U.K. and 97 deaths compared to over 112,000  - control your borders and lockdown quick when necessary 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

It's worked pretty well for Thailand so far ... similar population to the U.K. and 97 deaths compared to over 112,000  - control your borders and lockdown quick when necessary 

I'm unconvinced that lockdowns work once the prevelance of COVID within a county reaches a certain threshold. Just my own thoughts, I've not used any Google experts on this one.

On border controls though agree entirely.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Lock downs work very well to contain the virus, but are no solution in the long term. Long term the future is with vaccines.

^^^^^^^^^^

This, and it's why the UK are now finally in a better place re this virus, and the end is in sight, as in it will be managed like other respiratory viruses. Lock downs clearly work in what they're implemented for, but i don't think anyone has ever said they're the ultimate solution, as they're clearly not.  Vaccines are the way out of this, and thankfully there's an abundance of them available and coming.

Better days are coming, at least in the UK, might be a bit longer elsewhere, and might just keep Boris in a job!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, roobob said:

It is quite obvious that lockdowns do not work after they were introduced to be the be all end all as the solution to the problem at hand as the it has been ongoing for over a year now and will extend out further.

Another thing to rear it's ugly head is that some of the "saviour" vaccines that were rushed onto the market with Authorities saying all have to take it is now causing unnecessary deaths that really should have been avoided.,,, but I am sure we will get some here saying that the deaths of those unfortunate people should just be put down to collateral damage. 

Time to open up and let nature take it's course and people to get their lives back on track. This pandemic has turned out to be the biggest farce known to mankind. 

Time for the people to start asking some pertinent questions to the ones in charge as it has clearly been seen that they have the main stream media in their pocket to spruik whatever idea they come up with next and just want the population to follow along like sheep.... and sadly that seems to be the case.

cheers

I'll have some of whatever it is that you're taking!

• Haha 1

Four countries, UK, Israel, Australia and the US.

The figures from left to right are total population, percentage of population who have received at least one vaccination jab, daily case rate (7 day rolling average) and daily cases per 1 million population.

UK 68m    30%   2741      40
IS  9m       57%   222        25
AU 26m    2.4%   9           0.3
US 333m 30%   72262  217

I don't know about other countries but Australia, everyone entering the country undergoes 14 days quarantine and any outbreaks (virus escaping from quarantine facilities) are controlled with lockdowns (may be limited to outbreak area), testing and contact tracing.

This appears to be working although not good enough for the final solution. Which is just as well given the abysmal vaccination rollout. I think we're currently on Plan E, expect an update soon.

• Like 1

I'm curious about you UK blokes. Your country is the size of one of our smaller states, geographically speaking, but have around 70 million population. With London and it's outer sprawl having, what, 16-18 million, of that total, to have locked down the entire country in a "one size fits all" implementation, was that a true necessity? Your major cities restrictions also being mandated for the small villages of just a few hundred or so, way out in the countryside?

In California, we had a color coded tier for the 50+ counties in our state. Some infected areas, usually the more heavily populated, were of course much more affected than the sparsely populated ones, but the businesses that included salons, restaurants, tattoo shops, barbers, insurance, etc...were all under the same restrictive umbrella for long stretches of time. To me, that was a huge injustice to those shopkeepers and the people who were laid off because they were deemed "unessential", by the gov't.

My whole thing about these closures and lock downs was that, if a supermarket could remain open with the mask mandate, and keeping the social distance contact in place, then these other businesses should have been allowed open the entire time as well. The gov't has no right to tell a citizen that the job they perform in order to earn an honest living, is unessential.

Was that similar to how things have gone in the UK, or were there pockets throughout the country in the less populated areas of your country where the restrictions weren't such a hardship to the local economy?

• Like 2

Addressing the above comment... ^

There are good reasons why some businesses were required to close during "lock downs" while other stayed open. Many normal business operations have high potential for Covid transmission -- bars, nightclubs, restaurants, barbers, hair salons, massage spas, gyms, movie theaters, museums, etc.,...just to name a few.

Now that more people are vaccinated and mask wearing is more or less accepted in many places, along with changes at the business operations level (e.g., ventilation, distancing, masks required), it is theoretically safer to open.

Covid spreads from an infected person to another through human aerosol transmission -- by coughing, talking, breathing, sneezing, eating (spitting)...

. . .

From a website:

Under what conditions does COVID-19 spread easily?

> Any situation in which people are in close proximity to one another for long periods of time increases the risk of transmission. Indoor locations, especially settings where there is poor or no ventilation, are riskier than outdoor locations.

Transmission can occur more easily in the “Three C’s”:

• Crowded places with many people nearby;
• Close-contact settings, especially where people have conversations very near each other;
• Confined and enclosed spaces with poor ventilation.

The risk of COVID-19 spreading is higher in places where these “3Cs” overlap.

. . .

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-is-it-transmitted#:~:text=Any situation in which people,“3Cs” overlap.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Addressing the above comment... ^

There are good reasons why some businesses were required to close during "lock downs" while other stayed open. Many normal business operations have high potential for Covid transmission -- bars, nightclubs, restaurants, barbers, hair salons, massage spas, gyms, movie theaters, museums, etc.,...just to name a few.

Now that more people are vaccinated and mask wearing is more or less accepted in many places, along with changes at the business operations level (e.g., ventilation, distancing, masks required), it is theoretically safer to open.

Covid spreads from an infected person to another through human aerosol transmission -- by coughing, talking, breathing, sneezing, eating (spitting)...

. . .

From a website:

> Any situation in which people are in close proximity to one another for long periods of time increases the risk of transmission. Indoor locations, especially settings where there is poor or no ventilation, are riskier than outdoor locations.

Transmission can occur more easily in the “Three C’s”:

• Crowded places with many people nearby;
• Close-contact settings, especially where people have conversations very near each other;
• Confined and enclosed spaces with poor ventilation.

The risk of COVID-19 spreading is higher in places where these “3Cs” overlap.

. . .

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-is-it-transmitted#:~:text=Any situation in which people,“3Cs” overlap.

Thanks, but this was addressed to our UK members. I'll await a response from them.

3 minutes ago, lazarus said:

You're welcome. Covid knows no political boundaries.

It does not care where you live.

Not asking about political boundaries. Mine are about urban vs rural and geographic.

Totally different, but your contribution is duly noted. Noting the hour, the lads across the pond are probably asleep.

I'll check back tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Not asking about political boundaries. Mine are about urban vs rural and geographic.

Totally different, but your contribution is duly noted. Noting the hour, the lads across the pond are probably asleep.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Covid doesn't care about "urban vs rural" either.

Or...any boundaries whatsoever.

For you body Nazis out there...time to lose the "Covid 20" --

One question, answered: I’m vaccinated. Does that mean I can go to the gym now?

Instead of giving a straight yes or no, I’ll say this: Going to an indoor space with other people is still risky right now. But it’s less risky for you if you’re more than two weeks out from your final vaccine dose, which is great news.

If you’re eager to go to the gym, remember that not all gyms are following the same precautions right now, and it’s wise to choose one that’s still being very conscious of transmission. The CDC has laid out some good checklists: Masks and distancing are an absolute must for everyone; ventilation—including HEPA filters and open windows—matters; capacity limits help you maintain social distance. Also keep in mind what you’re doing at the gym. The harder you breathe, the more air and droplets you’ll be exchanging with your environment. And while you’re there, it can’t hurt to clean your hands, face, and the surfaces you touch. As the weather warms up, consider swapping your gym routine for something outdoors, too, whether it’s a class, or a free solo activity such as jogging or biking.

. . .

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/americans-working-out-return-normal/618280/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20210415&silverid=%%RECIPIENT_ID%%&utm_term=The Atlantic Daily

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Hotels!

Most (all) recent outbreaks in Australia have originated from quarantine hotels. Apparently the common return air where all the Covid laden air from individual rooms is combined in the corridors on the way to the return air ducts can infect hotel workers who then take it into the community.

The ventilation layout of quarantine hotels is now being factored in.

Another Covid fun fact.

To fly into Australia, passengers are required to have a negative Covid test before departure.

A disproportionate number of passengers arriving from India are testing positive on arrival.

Who would have thought it?

4 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I'm curious about you UK blokes. Your country is the size of one of our smaller states, geographically speaking, but have around 70 million population. With London and it's outer sprawl having, what, 16-18 million, of that total, to have locked down the entire country in a "one size fits all" implementation, was that a true necessity? Your major cities restrictions also being mandated for the small villages of just a few hundred or so, way out in the countryside?

In California, we had a color coded tier for the 50+ counties in our state. Some infected areas, usually the more heavily populated, were of course much more affected than the sparsely populated ones, but the businesses that included salons, restaurants, tattoo shops, barbers, insurance, etc...were all under the same restrictive umbrella for long stretches of time. To me, that was a huge injustice to those shopkeepers and the people who were laid off because they were deemed "unessential", by the gov't.

My whole thing about these closures and lock downs was that, if a supermarket could remain open with the mask mandate, and keeping the social distance contact in place, then these other businesses should have been allowed open the entire time as well. The gov't has no right to tell a citizen that the job they perform in order to earn an honest living, is unessential.

Was that similar to how things have gone in the UK, or were there pockets throughout the country in the less populated areas of your country where the restrictions weren't such a hardship to the local economy?

The UK has for much of the pandemic, had different Levels of restrictions that were applied on a regional basis.

It has only been post Xmas that the entire country has been under a one size fits all strategy.

For me living in London, in one of the most affected London boroughs, that was somewhat academic as we always had the worst of the restrictions.

In cities like Leicester last year different parts of the city had different levels of restrictions. This seemed to make logical sense with very high rates of infection in the more densely populated parts of the inner city.

But given how small Leicester is, it was hardly difficult for people to move yards in some cases to a different ZIP code to avoid restrictions🙂

Things are getting better though thank God, we are able to sit outdoors, albeit in really cold weather-about 45 degrees and have a proper ale

Freedom and it tasted fantastic:default_cheers:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Things are getting better though thank God, we are able to sit outdoors, albeit in really cold weather-about 45 degrees and have a proper ale

Yep I was outside a pub on Monday late afternoon & it wasn't cold so long as you stayed in the sun & then I was in the gym on Tuesday & again yesterday.

So although I'm in the gym trying to shed the kg's of Covid induced flab I'm putting it back on in the outside the pub.

Very enjoyable though!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

The UK has for much of the pandemic, had different Levels of restrictions that were applied on a regional basis.

It has only been post Xmas that the entire country has been under a one size fits all strategy.

For me living in London, in one of the most affected London boroughs, that was somewhat academic as we always had the worst of the restrictions.

In cities like Leicester last year different parts of the city had different levels of restrictions. This seemed to make logical sense with very high rates of infection in the more densely populated parts of the inner city.

But given how small Leicester is, it was hardly difficult for people to move yards in some cases to a different ZIP code to avoid restrictions🙂

Thanks, an honest, straight forward answer from someone who lives there. Just what I was asking for and hoping to learn from.

In California, June 15th was the day declared by our idiot Governor where all restrictions on business, concerts, live sporting events, bars, restaurants, would be lifted. But......still gotta wear a mask as mandated by our esteemed Guv. Which to me if you've been vaccinated, defeats the whole purpose of getting back to normal with the vaccine, which is what we have been told by the so-called experts, for the last year. Wearing a mask in public IS NOT NORMAL unless you plan to rob a bank.

I hope to be in a pub myself on June 15th. Happy to hear you blokes are finally able to raise a pint and recover a huge part of your culture, that of the English pub, and the gathering of mates to take the piss out of.

Well done Boris! Well done UK!

Now if we can get the bloody Irish to get that vaccine distributed and opened up, then I can return to that lovely country and enjoy many pints of Guinness in Ziggys Rock and Blues Bar in Cork while listening to some Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Thanks, an honest, straight forward answer from someone who lives there. Just what I was asking for and hoping to learn from.

In California, June 15th was the day declared by our idiot Governor where all restrictions on business, concerts, live sporting events, bars, restaurants, would be lifted. But......still gotta wear a mask as mandated by our esteemed Guv. Which to me if you've been vaccinated, defeats the whole purpose of getting back to normal with the vaccine, which is what we have been told by the so-called experts, for the last year. Wearing a mask in public IS NOT NORMAL unless you plan to rob a bank.

I hope to be in a pub myself on June 15th. Happy to hear you blokes are finally able to raise a pint and recover a huge part of your culture, that of the English pub, and the gathering of mates to take the piss out of.

Well done Boris! Well done UK?

Now if we can get the bloody Irish to get that vaccine distributed and opened up, then I can return to that lovely country and enjoy many pints of Guinness in Ziggys Rock and Blues Bar in Cork while listening to some Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher.

I keep meaning to go to this....

https://www.rorygallagherfestival.com

& we saw Gary Moore at the Hippodrome in London playing Blues for Jimi,unfortunately never got to see him playing his own stuff.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1