COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, Butch said:

I was watching Sky news, the ticker said that the new variant could "scupper" the UK roadmap. Part of the issue is thousands of people heading over to the UK from India before it becomes a Red country, thereby bringing along with them some nice incubated strains of covid to spread in their households where they don't, as a rule, bother to self isolate.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, fygjam said:

Another Covid fun fact.

To fly into Australia, passengers are required to have a negative Covid test before departure.

A disproportionate number of passengers arriving from India are testing positive on arrival.

Who would have thought it?

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, coxyhog said:

From what I've been reading we'll be getting another lockdown in the UK pretty soon.

India still not on the red list of countries so people coming over in droves & only being asked to self isolate.

Cant believe this,friggin shocking india not a red zone should have been months ago !,my ting tong is reading the thai news on her phone and just said"have many people from india come with covid" unreal what are they playing at with india !

I found THIS article from Jan 21st. It's got to be one of the worst predictions of all time. But it's also important to see WHY it was so epically terrible. Basically, he argued that India already had a lot of herd immunity because so many people had already been infected, and he ignored the variants. IF there weren't so many variants in India, THEN this actually might have been an okay argument. But there are variants, and this is the result. Even though he was absolutely right that a huge chunk of India already had COVID, that has made no difference at all to the variants. And there's more to it-- This author was *not* the only one who made this prediction. There's a very long list of others who made the exact same mistake. What can we get out of this? The variants are making the pandemic into a whole new ball game, and the media has often been ridiculously behind the curve in understanding this. https://theprint.in/.../why-india-will-not-see-a.../587966/

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

I found THIS article from Jan 21st. It's got to be one of the worst predictions of all time. But it's also important to see WHY it was so epically terrible. Basically, he argued that India already had a lot of herd immunity because so many people had already been infected, and he ignored the variants. IF there weren't so many variants in India, THEN this actually might have been an okay argument. But there are variants, and this is the result. Even though he was absolutely right that a huge chunk of India already had COVID, that has made no difference at all to the variants. And there's more to it-- This author was *not* the only one who made this prediction. There's a very long list of others who made the exact same mistake. What can we get out of this? The variants are making the pandemic into a whole new ball game, and the media has often been ridiculously behind the curve in understanding this. https://theprint.in/.../why-india-will-not-see-a.../587966/

Article published 19th January. About the position of the red arrow.

image.png

• Like 1

Brilliant to see fans back at the snooker, fans back at the football, and an open air concert in Liverpool in a fortnight with 5000 there, no masks no socially distancing, just a negative test needed. God i'd love to be there!

The UK is currently heading in the right direction. Sure they'll be pockets here and there as we open up, maybe slight rises, stuff like lack of vaccine take up, cultural stuff or whatever, but nationally, all numbers are continuing to look good. 

In my work we used to get twice weekly Covid Data intelligence reports, centrally from PHE, but now they've said they're only doing it weekly as the numbers are so low, a slow rise of say a dozen cases can make a % look big, when in reality it's not.  There's been nothing in them that has indicated any concerns, though of course it's fluid situation with easing restrictions and variants. Covid hospital patients in London is really, really low.

We just need to get a grip of our borders. As much as i'd like to go on holiday this Summer, i'd gladly give it up to continue on the path back to some sort of normality. 

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

6 hours ago, fygjam said:

Hahaha, I should have bloody known better!!

Just got my Mrs on this, apparently no more sex for a fortnight, well ,no more sex with me for a fortnight lol.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 2

On 4/18/2021 at 3:34 AM, Butch said:

I was watching Sky news, the ticker said that the new variant could "scupper" the UK roadmap. Part of the issue is thousands of people heading over to the UK from India before it becomes a Red country, thereby bringing along with them some nice incubated strains of covid to spread in their households where they don't, as a rule, bother to self isolate.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, fygjam said:

Another Covid fun fact.

To fly into Australia, passengers are required to have a negative Covid test before departure.

A disproportionate number of passengers arriving from India are testing positive on arrival.

Who would have thought it?

If the UK is letting people from India in without quarantine they're bloody crazy!

The 72 hour before departure test ain't worth shit!

47 passengers test positive after overseas flight

A single overseas flight has broken a record for the highest number of COVID-19 infections after all passengers tested negative before boarding.

A grim new record has fallen more than a year after the coronavirus pandemic began
spreading with the highest number of passengers on a single flight recording a positive test.

Indian airline Vistara holds the new record after 47 out of 188 passengers on a flight from
Delhi
to Hong Kong tested positive.

The Indian airline Vistara sent flight 6395 off on the five-hour flight on April 4 confident
about the journey after all passengers onboard tested negative to the virus within a 72-hour
pre-flight window

But after arriving in Hong Kong where all passengers from overseas are required to enter
mandatory hotel quarantine, the cases exploded.

Six passengers tested positive upon arrival in Hong Kong but there would be more. There
were 25 cases linked to the flight by the end of the first week and another 22 passengers
tested positive almost two weeks after arriving.

The Hindustan Times reports that after the virus spread among passengers, Hong Kong
suspended all flights connecting with India.

Sources told the publication that Hong Kong has “also suspended flights to and from
Pakistan as well as the Philippines” for a period of two weeks.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/47-passengers-test-positive-after-overseas-flight/news-story/66440c32e75883100c3728927a557423

A spokesperson for Vistara said “all guidelines issued by the Indian as well as the
destination countries’ authorities for all flights” had been adhered to “including all charter
flights to and from Hong Kong”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

If the UK is letting people from India in without quarantine they're bloody crazy!

The 72 hour before departure test ain't worth shit!

47 passengers test positive after overseas flight

A single overseas flight has broken a record for the highest number of COVID-19 infections after all passengers tested negative before boarding.

A grim new record has fallen more than a year after the coronavirus pandemic began
spreading with the highest number of passengers on a single flight recording a positive test.

Indian airline Vistara holds the new record after 47 out of 188 passengers on a flight from
Delhi
to Hong Kong tested positive.

The Indian airline Vistara sent flight 6395 off on the five-hour flight on April 4 confident
about the journey after all passengers onboard tested negative to the virus within a 72-hour
pre-flight window

But after arriving in Hong Kong where all passengers from overseas are required to enter
mandatory hotel quarantine, the cases exploded.

Six passengers tested positive upon arrival in Hong Kong but there would be more. There
were 25 cases linked to the flight by the end of the first week and another 22 passengers
tested positive almost two weeks after arriving.

The Hindustan Times reports that after the virus spread among passengers, Hong Kong
suspended all flights connecting with India.

Sources told the publication that Hong Kong has “also suspended flights to and from
Pakistan as well as the Philippines” for a period of two weeks.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/47-passengers-test-positive-after-overseas-flight/news-story/66440c32e75883100c3728927a557423

A spokesperson for Vistara said “all guidelines issued by the Indian as well as the
destination countries’ authorities for all flights” had been adhered to “including all charter
flights to and from Hong Kong”.

India is now on the red list, meaning entries to the UK have to hotel quarantine. 

Bojo has cancelled his trip there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Painter said:

India is now on the red list, meaning entries to the UK have to hotel quarantine. 

Bojo has cancelled his trip there.

No India is on the red list from Friday morning,Bojo has asked the virus to hang around until then.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Live breaking news: New Zealand border worker contracts COVID-19

A border worker at Auckland Airport in New Zealand has tested positive for COVID-19, a day after the travel bubble with Australia opened.

The New Zealand airport border worker who tested positive for COVID-19 after being
vaccinated had received the Pfizer jab
, the nation's Ministry of Health has confirmed.

"The person has been fully vaccinated – they received two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine
early in the vaccination campaign – in February and March,"
the department said, according to
the ABC.

"We know the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective, but at 95 per cent effectiveness a small number
may not be protected.

"Breakthrough infections happen with all vaccines. This shows us how important it is that as
many New Zealanders as possible take up the offer to receive the vaccine when they are offered
it and are protected. The more people that are vaccinated, the more protected we will all be."

Note. The vaccine efficacy was assessed against its ability to prevent moderate to severe disease and death. Not against becoming infected. The article I have does not mention the workers actual condition.

Perhaps our New Zealand based Rock might have better information.

Edited by fygjam

51 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Live breaking news: New Zealand border worker contracts COVID-19

A border worker at Auckland Airport in New Zealand has tested positive for COVID-19, a day after the travel bubble with Australia opened.

The New Zealand airport border worker who tested positive for COVID-19 after being
vaccinated had received the Pfizer jab
, the nation's Ministry of Health has confirmed.

"The person has been fully vaccinated – they received two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine
early in the vaccination campaign – in February and March,"
the department said, according to
the ABC.

"We know the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective, but at 95 per cent effectiveness a small number
may not be protected.

"Breakthrough infections happen with all vaccines. This shows us how important it is that as
many New Zealanders as possible take up the offer to receive the vaccine when they are offered
it and are protected. The more people that are vaccinated, the more protected we will all be."

Note. The vaccine efficacy was assessed against its ability to prevent moderate to severe disease and death. Not against becoming infected. The article I have does not mention the workers actual condition.

Perhaps our New Zealand based Rock might have better information.

NZ along with Australia have had some of the hardest lockdowns...... the above person was vaccinated..... both countries are still getting cases. I am sure the panic merchants will be calling for action...aka....lockdown. 

What the above proves is that other alternatives have to be looked at other than just a lockdowns and as can be seen   even with the vaccines.... this virus is here to stay.

The only way out of this mess is to get on with life....learn to live with the virus...... keep running the vaccines out and get back to some semblance of normal life because it has been proven to date that what has been put in place since day one has not worked.

cheers

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah sure..."get on with life"...

This won't happen until the rich nations of the world step up and start helping funding the vaccination programs in poor countries. Supplying vaccines cannot be a money making endeavor.  If rich countries don't take aggressive steps deadly Covid variants will just continue to circulate around the globe including back into their own.

Covid-19 deaths are accelerating, WHO warns, as world records most cases ever in a single week

"...More than 5.2 million new cases were recorded last week -- the most in a single week since the pandemic began.."

"...Deaths also increased for the fifth straight week, he said, with the pandemic now officially claiming more than 3 million lives..."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/20/europe/who-global-covid-cases-rise-intl/index.html

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Yeah sure..."get on with life"...

This won't happen until the rich nations of the world step up and start helping funding the vaccination programs in poor countries. Supplying vaccines cannot be a money making endeavor.  If rich countries don't take aggressive steps deadly Covid variants will just continue to circulate around the globe including back into their own.

Covid-19 deaths are accelerating, WHO warns, as world records most cases ever in a single week

"...More than 5.2 million new cases were recorded last week -- the most in a single week since the pandemic began.."

"...Deaths also increased for the fifth straight week, he said, with the pandemic now officially claiming more than 3 million lives..."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/20/europe/who-global-covid-cases-rise-intl/index.html

Yes ...get on with life.... or are you one of the ones who just want to sit in a corner and let life pass you by. If you are happy to do that.. fair enough.... but I am sure many people do not. 

You always post the doom and gloom... any chance of posting the number of people who have had the virus and recovered from it or does that not suit the agenda of your doom and gloom post.

cheers 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The truth is hard for some, I know.

Stay healthy.

So you have not got the figures of the number of people who have had the virus and recovered from it??

Maybe you do not like that truth.

Stay well.

cheers

1 minute ago, lazarus said:

You can post the numbers. You know you want to.

Please be sure to include Brazil, India, South Africa, Palestine, & the US state of Michigan.

I'll continue to wear my mask & socially distance while I await my 2nd Moderna shot this coming Friday.

And don't forget to stay healthy and have a nice day. 🙂

Hit a nerve mate, you continually go on about figures so why not post something positive like the figures of the people who have recovered from the virus.

You sit in the corner mate.... I will get on with life like a lot others who look at things in the light of glass half full....unlike yourself as a half glass empty fellow.

I always have a nice day.... because I live life.

cheera 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, roobob said:

NZ along with Australia have had some of the hardest lockdowns...... the above person was vaccinated..... both countries are still getting cases. I am sure the panic merchants will be calling for action...aka....lockdown. 

What the above proves is that other alternatives have to be looked at other than just a lockdowns and as can be seen   even with the vaccines.... this virus is here to stay.

The only way out of this mess is to get on with life....learn to live with the virus...... keep running the vaccines out and get back to some semblance of normal life because it has been proven to date that what has been put in place since day one has not worked.

cheers

You can only lead a life based on whatever restrictions apply wherever one may be. Things aren't too bad in UK right now. Sure, I would like to drink inside a pub, but that won't happen for a few weeks (according to Govt Road map). Would like to travel abroad, but again, that is not possible for the moment. Would like to eat out in a restaurant too but same rules apply. 

But that said, things are not so bad. I can go out whenever I please, meat up with friends and family, go shopping, drink in a pub beer garden and get health care etc

We are hoping in UK to be back to some normality by June, with perhaps still some travel exclusions. But its not like that in every country, depending on infection rates. 

Things are getting better with vaccine roll outs and testing etc and don't forget that Pharma are running full speed to develop a safe and effective treatment for those who exhibit extreme covid symptoms, which we could see maybe by next year. 

None of us need to be hermits as long as we are sensible and aware of the dangers to ourselves and others, until hopefully, the bogeyman is under control and most of us are safe

Sure, many people who have caught the virus have either been asymptomatic or recovered in a few weeks, but the issue is, that those very people may have passed on the virus to others who may have been less fortunate. There is no Win/Win situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1