COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Greece to fine over-60s for refusing jab

Residents in Greece over the age of 60 will be fined €100 a month if they fail to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, under the first general COVID-19 mandate announced by the country’s government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

That seems a strange list. 18 died of heart attacks yet none died from cancer, AIDS, etc? 

On the job deaths. Active duty cops.

Cancer and AIDS would render a cop very sick and no longer on active duty.

. . .

Law enforcement fatalities spiked in 2021. Covid-19 was the leading cause of death.
The number of officers who died in 2021 was 458, a 55 percent jump from 2020.

The number of law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty across the U.S. last year totaled 458, a 55 percent increase from 2020, the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund said in a report released Tuesday.

Covid-19 was the leading cause of death, having killed 301 federal, state, tribal and local officers, the report said.

"It has been reported to NLEOMF that these officers have died due to direct exposure to the virus during the commission of their official duties," the report said.

The number represented a dramatic jump in 50 years of data in the report. Just one decade — the 1970s — averaged more than 200 deaths a year...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/law-enforcement-fatalities-spiked-2021-covid-19-was-leading-cause-deat-rcna11873?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR0lp-lYORq-uSeVyNrq_6RFIfHVHW_9yB2qU8udte8s1iWJbS7t_5W-dY4

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Starshine said:

That is definitely a good sign .  My mum is 91 and my greatest fear is her catching this damn virus

My 92yo mum went into hospital on Thursday after a fall at home,nothing broken but a badly cut head & very shaken.

They're now doing all sorts of tests to see if she can continue to live alone.All on hold at the weekend though,you don't get consultants working the weekend in the UK.

Hope she doesn't get the virus in hospital,it was 20 years ago that my dad went into the same place after a fall very close to where my mum fell,caught MRSA & died.

• Sad 9

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

My 92yo mum went into hospital on Thursday after a fall at home,nothing broken but a badly cut head & very shaken.

They're now doing all sorts of tests to see if she can continue to live alone.All on hold at the weekend though,you don't get consultants working the weekend in the UK.

Hope she doesn't get the virus in hospital,it was 20 years ago that my dad went into the same place after a fall very close to where my mum fell,caught MRSA & died.

You have my sympathies, mate...every day is a worry that something will happen. Best wishes and speedy recovery to your mum.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Hope all's well, Coxy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Thoughts are with you mate. I hope she makes a full recovery.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Hope she’s doing well mate. 🤗
I’m an MRSA carrier, so have to be careful to decontaminate myself when visiting hospitals for appointment or treatment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Hooe she is ok mate.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Wishing her the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got an email this morning from my sons school to say he was a close contact with a boy who’s tested positive for Covid. So LF tested him this morning and after putting the 4 drop on the test strip, the positive line showed up within seconds, so if the LFT can be trusted, then he’s positive.  
I have some PCR test kits, so I’ll do one on Monday and post it off to confirm  😟

Not surprised really, as he sits next to the boy most days. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I got an email this morning from my sons school to say he was a close contact with a boy who’s tested positive for Covid. So LF tested him this morning and after putting the 4 drop on the test strip, the positive line showed up within seconds, so if the LFT can be trusted, then he’s positive.  
I have some PCR test kits, so I’ll do one on Monday and post it off to confirm  😟

Not surprised really, as he sits next to the boy most days. 

I hope he's asymptomatic & you don't get it mate.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I hope he's asymptomatic & you don't get it mate.

Thanks Coxy. 🤗 

He’s a very fit 11 year old and as a fit as a fiddle at the moment. He did water polo training last night and did a couple of hours footy training at the stadium this morning, so will have to see how it develops over the next few days. 
Some of his classmates have had symptoms that have ranged from mild to severe. 
When I tested him, the test turned positive literally within seconds of putting the drops on the test kit. 😟

The wife and I both did LF Tests as well, but both were negative. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Thanks Coxy. 🤗 

He’s a very fit 11 year old and as a fit as a fiddle at the moment. He did water polo training last night and did a couple of hours footy training at the stadium this morning, so will have to see how it develops over the next few days. 
Some of his classmates have had symptoms that have ranged from mild to severe. 
When I tested him, the test turned positive literally within seconds of putting the drops on the test kit. 😟

The wife and I both did LF Tests as well, but both were negative. 

Hope you all stay that way. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

A Google Search on "how did the cold virus become endemic" lead me to me to a couple of good articles that lend weight to the idea SARS-CoV-2 is heading towards being another endemic virus, like the cold and flu viruses we have learned to live with.

November 5, 2021: Is COVID-19 here to stay? A team of biologists explains what it means for a virus to become endemic
On the other hand, pandemic viruses may also gradually settle into a relatively stable rate of occurrence, maintaining a constant pool of infected hosts capable of spreading the virus to others. These viruses are said to be “endemic.”

Examples of endemic viruses in the United States include those that cause the common cold and the seasonal flu that appear year after year. Much like these, the virus that causes COVID-19 likely won’t die out, and most experts now expect it to become endemic.

Four seasonal coronaviruses circulate in humans endemically already. They tend to recur annually, usually during the winter months, and affect children more than adults. The virus that causes COVID-19 has not yet settled down into these predictable patterns and instead is flaring up unpredictably around the globe in ways that are sometimes difficult to predict.

Once rates of SARS-CoV-2 stabilize, we can call it endemic. But this transition may look different based on where you are in the world. For instance, countries with high vaccine coverage and plentiful boosters may soon settle into predictable spikes of COVID-19 during the winter months when the environmental conditions are more favorable to virus transmission. In contrast, unpredictable epidemics may persist in regions with lower vaccination rates.

March 9, 2021: Another common cold virus?
The model, published Jan. 12 in Science, draws upon studies of the four common-cold coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-1. These coronaviruses have been circulating in humans for a long time and almost everyone is infected at a young age, the team noted. Natural infection in childhood provides immunity that protects people later in life against severe disease, but it doesn't prevent periodic reinfection.

"Reinfection is possible within one year, but even if it occurs, symptoms are mild and the virus is cleared from the body more quickly," said Jennie Lavine, postdoctoral fellow at Emory, who earned a doctorate at Penn State. "It highlights the need to tease apart the components of immunity to SARS-CoV-2. How long does immunity that prevents pathology last, and how long does immunity that prevents transmission last? Those durations may be very different."

Studies are now emerging that provide concrete data on how long antibodies and immune cells against SARS-CoV-2 last after infection. However, researchers are still figuring out how those components translate to protection against disease or transmission.

"Overall, we're asking: How does SARS-CoV-2 compare to other viruses such as seasonal influenza," said Lavine. "This model assumes immunity to SARS-CoV-2 works similar to other human coronaviruses. We don't really know what it would be like if someone got one of the other coronaviruses for the first time as an adult, rather than as a child."

The model predicts that the infection fatality ratio for SARS-CoV-2 may fall below that of seasonal influenza (0.1%) once an endemic steady-state is reached.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Hang in there Coxy. My life has been in quasi disorder since my Aunt (I was as close to her as I was my Mom who died a few years before that) went down with a fall in 2016.

She had a broken hip. At the time of the surgery it was 50-50 if she would make it through that. The toughest thing is surviving the sure to come infection following the surgery. But. there really was no choice. She made it through though.

Following that there was also another thing where there really wasn't any options, other than a nursing home. Thank Buddha we were able to get her into a good one. Surprisingly she was happy as could be for her in that place, she was basically waited on 24.7. We all loved the staff, she was very well cared for, such relief.

That is until Covid came along... It nipped her. Really not much you can do about it but hope for the best, and do your best to check up on her (or have someone responsible checking in on her). Nowadays there are a lot of new health care services popping up that will look after the well being of elderly folks (in addition to the health providers). They are like a overseer when family cannot be there. Yep, it costs, but is something now that is available as an option and peace of mind when you cannot be there.

It ain't easy buddy, it ain't easy.   Stay strong.

• Thumbs Up 1