COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, fforest said:
   All plan B Covid restrictions, including mask wearing, to end in England

Things are looking up in UK with Omicron cases almost  halved over the last few weeks. Hopefully a trend that will replicate itself across the globe in weeks to come especially where vaccination levels have been high. Not out of the woods yet but its encouraging news, with this new variant showing to be much milder than Delta. 

In many countries, Omicron cases are still rising and have yet to reach a peek due to its high infection properties, but with hopefully far less hospitalisation and deaths. 

There is every reason to be optimistic based on current data. But I am sure that many will continue to mask up in certain circumstances for a while out of choice, including myself on buses and trains when crowded. 

I went to watch Hearts at Tynecastle on Tuesday evening.

A nice big crowd, good second half performance and another three points.

I travel to and from the game by train which takes less than 20 minutes and the station is five minutes from where I live.

After the match I get to Haymarket station very quickly, go into the entrance hall and look up at the departure screen.

Cancelled...Cancelled....Cancelled.

At least two thirds of all departures were cancelled including my next two next trains back to Bathgate.

What was the reason given for all the cancellations?

COVID !

Translation.......the fucking drivers are using self isolation as an excuse not to work.

So I have to get a bus back which took almost 1 1/2 hours as it does a magical mystery tour through the West Lothians.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jambo said:

using self isolation as an excuse not to work.

I'm pretty sure this has been the case across the whole spectrum of society.

Not that I'd have been averse to a week off on full pay when I was working,although being a contractor it would've been my own company paying myself.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

There was zero science behind the decision to remove restrictions though and that is plain for all to see 

All about getting the public back on the Tory's/Boris's side. 

Not that I'm complaining, need to start treating it like a normal flu get life back to normal. 

Not that the malingerers who don't want to go back to the workplace will be happy. But f**k them. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

...need to start treating it like a normal flu get life back to normal. 

Not quite there yet...but moving in that direction.

. . .

... "Studies indicate omicron causes milder illness than earlier COVID variants, but experts and early data again say there is little question: “Omicron is more deadly than the flu,” said John Swartzberg, clinical professor emeritus of infectious diseases and vaccinology at UC Berkeley.

“End of story,” agreed UCSF infectious disease expert George Rutherford.

For example, even though it’s still too early to get a complete picture of the death toll from the ongoing omicron surge, a look at the final week of December 2021, as the holiday spike exploded, is telling.

More than 5,000 people across the U.S. died of COVID the last week of 2021. That’s more than three times the number of people — 1,626 — who succumbed to influenza during the deadliest week of the alarming 2017-18 flu season. And since the coronavirus arrived in 2020, there have been just two weeks in the more than 100 weeks of the pandemic when fewer than 1,600 people died from COVID..."

. . .

Think COVID is becoming like the flu? Here’s how much worse it still is
The coronavirus has proven far more deadly than even bad influenza years

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/19/think-covid-is-becoming-like-the-flu-heres-how-much-worse-it-still-is/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

There was zero science behind the decision to remove restrictions though and that is plain for all to see 

There is plenty of science to prove that Omicron isn't filling up the hospitals.

Great decision as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

There is plenty of science to prove that Omicron isn't filling up the hospitals.

The timing was more my thought and the fact that none of the experts appeared at the press conference 

Edited by Stillearly

10 hours ago, fforest said:
   All plan B Covid restrictions, including mask wearing, to end in England

Who'd a thought it, eh!

I read on here 'they' would have us back in full lockdown by Nov, Dec latest. 

You never know, a light might switch on, and you might even come to accept the uncomfortable truth, that such things as global pandemics actually do happen, and we're coming out the other end of one, at least in the UK.

Still waiting on that game of chess ...

E9DE0AF2-35BD-4727-9CE5-6842AC7976C4.gif.1324394f314ca36715687fe9c216b650.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Unfortunately it is here. And there is a high vaccination rate...seems to getting the un-vaxx'd with a vengeance. Not as many in the ICU though...

Basically there's few restrictions other than masking up when around groups of people indoors or on transit. Have to show a vaxx card to eat inside a restaurant or drink in a bar. Easy peasy ...

. . .

Omicron in California: S.F. hits a new high for hospitalized COVID patients

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Omicron-in-California-S-F-hits-a-new-high-for-16789072.php

S.F. hits a new high for hospital patients with COVID: There were 262 COVID-positive patients hospitalized in San Francisco on Tuesday, according to data collected by The Chronicle. That number tops the previous peak of 256 people hospitalized with the coronavirus reached during last year’s winter surge. With new case rates still running high, the tally of hospitalizations — a lagging indicator of pandemic trends — may rise even further. The health department does not break down what percentage of those hospitalizations are “incidental” COVID, meaning the patients tested positive even though they were admitted for other reasons. The number of people in intensive care unit beds in the city reached 37 on Tuesday — about half as many who were admitted last January.

• Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Disagree, of course there was.

Facts are, we had infections of over 200,000 a couple of weeks ago, they're halved that now.

Hospitilisations are going down, even with at least half of those in hospital who tested positive for Covid being in for something else, though tested positive as it's rife. At least half!!!

ICU beds are not coming down, as they never went up to begin with, Omicron being so mild.

Deaths are plateauing, but they'll come down soon, everything is in about 2 week timescales.

South Africa were right, they were pretty much dismissed because they were African. 

Lefty Scotland and Wales are easing restrictions, Thailand even easing restrictions. 

This isn't just England, though of course they're politics involved in the decision by Boris. Nothing new, every decison by Sturgeon or Drakeford is political as well. They scream reckless at Westminster to show they're different, then quietly follow suit a few weeks later.

Those that are shouting about it now, are the same who were screaming it would be a disaster opening schools last March, opening up in July, not locking down last month.  They were wrong in all those instances, and they're wrong now.

Boris will have to go, could be a week, could be a month, could be a year.  He's totally unsuited to be a PM, no integrity, self serving, doesn't command respect etc. You could say most of that about any Politician, but Boris is another level. He's a showman, he was brought in to get Brexit finally over the line and get a big Tory majority. Which he did. 

All that said, i still wake up happy every day Boris won rather than Corbyn, i dread to think what sort of country we'd have now if Jezza won, the People's Communist Republic of England, as the UK would already be broke up IMO.  

Gives me shudders ...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Who'd a thought it, eh!

I read on here 'they' would have us back in full lockdown by Nov, Dec latest. 

You never know, a light might switch on, and you might even come to accept the uncomfortable truth, that such things as global pandemics actually do happen, and we're coming out the other end of one, at least in the UK.

Still waiting on that game of chess ...

E9DE0AF2-35BD-4727-9CE5-6842AC7976C4.gif.1324394f314ca36715687fe9c216b650.gif

We dodged a bullet with omicron ,neither the decision not to tighten regulations in Nov or yesterday's decision to relax current restrictions were based on any facts , it was a gamble pure an simple ...  the U.K. has one of the worst Covid deaths rates during the last two years and one of the worst economic performances, but that seems to have been forgotten about , because some people don't want to wear masks in shops 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

We dodged a bullet with omicron ,neither the decision not to tighten regulations in Nov or yesterday's decision to relax current restrictions were based on any facts , it was a gamble pure an simple ...  the U.K. has one of the worst Covid deaths rates during the last two years and one of the worst economic performances, but that seems to have been forgotten about , because some people don't want to wear masks in shops 

I've just shown you the decision yesterday was based on facts. 

Certainly the UK's handling of Covid in 2020 was a shambles as i've said many times on here and was reflected in Polling of that time. Then the vaccine roll out changed the landscape in all sorts of ways.

People will always argue about this based on their political leanings. Your opinion is clearly influenced by that, you hate Boris and the Tories. That's your choice.

You were also saying last month there would be another lockdown, there's not, nor is there any need, as every UK leader now accepts. Boris got it right.

People can continue wearing masks if they want, those who didn't want to wouldn't have anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

All that said, i still wake up happy every day Boris won rather than Corbyn, i dread to think what sort of country we'd have now if Jezza won, the People's Communist Republic of England, as the UK would already be broke up IMO.  

Gives me shudders ...

You know those 100k Russian soldiers currently sat on the border of Ukraine...

Labour have always been erring on the side of the "experts", and we would be one of the Countries of the World aiming at the unobtainable and quite frankly, illogical idea of a zero covid World.

The attitude of Wales and Scotland towards all of this is a strong indication. As such despite everything, the general direction in which England has gone wrt Covid has put us pretty much in the number one spot for how to deal with it.

Dealing with a pandemic was, up until 2 years ago a regularly trained for scenario within the NHS, things such as infection control, numbers, bed space and contingency plans were all rehearsed and run through maybe once a year or so.

What was not bargained for was the indecision of the Govt going from the herd immunity option and borders being left open for so long, then a change of mind, by which time the damage was in the process of being done...Once they got a grip on it though, things have gone relatively well, considering what potentially might have happened (Italy, India).

however, listening to yet another left wing prophet of doom on Radio 2 yesterday who, despite being a professor seems to have the exact opposite idea of everyone else regarding the development of covid , it would seem that if some had their way we'd be in an eternal lockdown.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

You know those 100k Russian soldiers currently sat on the border of Ukraine...

That is what gets me about the fucking MSM in the Uk,WWIII about to kick off & all you read or see about is a fucking party in No 10.....I hate our media with a fucking passion.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

I went to watch Hearts at Tynecastle on Tuesday evening.

A nice big crowd, good second half performance and another three points.

I travel to and from the game by train which takes less than 20 minutes and the station is five minutes from where I live.

After the match I get to Haymarket station very quickly, go into the entrance hall and look up at the departure screen.

Cancelled...Cancelled....Cancelled.

At least two thirds of all departures were cancelled including my next two next trains back to Bathgate.

What was the reason given for all the cancellations?

COVID !

Translation.......the fucking drivers are using self isolation as an excuse not to work.

So I have to get a bus back which took almost 1 1/2 hours as it does a magical mystery tour through the West Lothians.

At least you can tick the West Lothians off your bucket list now. 👍

• Haha 1

Covid news from Texas..

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, an opponent of vaccine mandates, has tested positive for COVID, the Washington Post reported. It’s unclear whether Paxton was vaccinated or when he was infected, and his office reportedly did not reply to a request for comment.

Paxton has opposed making vaccines compulsory for healthcare workers in facilities that receive Medicare and Medicaid funds, troops in the Texas National Guard and staff at Head Start programs.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(22)00090-3

Looks like this insane idea is getting binned, and rightly so. NHS is already massively under staffed so f**k knows how anyone thought this was a good idea. 

Especially now Covid is losing its potency now majority are vaccinated and people are building up a natural immunity anyway. 

_122940808_i-nc.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Looks like this insane idea is getting binned, and rightly so. NHS is already massively under staffed so f**k knows how anyone thought this was a good idea. 

Especially now Covid is losing its potency now majority are vaccinated and people are building up a natural immunity anyway. 

_122940808_i-nc.png

The less potent Omicron variant makes it harder to justify.  Maybe a compromise decision of delaying implementation day.

3 minutes ago, john luke said:

The less potent Omicron variant makes it harder to justify.  Maybe a compromise decision of delaying implementation day.

Like permanently. 

Who ever thought sacking a load of staff from an understaffed and under funded health service should be the one heading to the dole queue. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Like permanently. 

Who ever thought sacking a load of staff from an understaffed and under funded health service should be the one heading to the dole queue. 

Boris and Carrie sitting down on their Downing St flat looking at the 1000 quid a roll wallpaper crying their eyes out

• Thumbs Up 1