COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

^^^^^^^^ above^^^^^^

More scaremongering with more articles/comments along the lines of..... may have.....could have.....may cause....etc...etc.

Interesting things is we seem to have more of these articles and comments coming from some "scientists" as the world is starting to get back on track and open up as all look to get their lives back on track.

It seems some of these "scientists" and others are "scared" that things are getting better...that their "golden eggs" are in danger of coming to an end but I am sure as this occurs....they will quickly regenerate to be "experts" back to climate change subject so those "golden eggs" can keep being laid........lol.

cheers

14 minutes ago, roobob said:

^^^^^^^^ above^^^^^^

More scaremongering with more articles/comments along the lines of..... may have.....could have.....may cause....etc...etc.

Interesting things is we seem to have more of these articles and comments coming from some "scientists" as the world is starting to get back on track and open up as all look to get their lives back on track.

It seems some of these "scientists" and others are "scared" that things are getting better...that their "golden eggs" are in danger of coming to an end but I am sure as this occurs....they will quickly regenerate to be "experts" back to climate change subject so those "golden eggs" can keep being laid........lol.

cheers

Funny. 🤨

You missed and failed to comprehend the very first sentence in the post...

"If you're in the camp of those who believe the world is back to "normal" and the epidemic has ended ...

...then please...scroll on by."

. . .

:default_fishing:

'nough said tonight.

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

The subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 may dodge immunity, especially in unvaccinated people, possibly causing a spike in infections worldwide.

Now, now, you're frightening the children...

19 minutes ago, roobob said:

More scaremongering

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Funny. 🤨

You missed and failed to comprehend the very first sentence in the post...

"If you're in the camp of those who believe the world is back to "normal" and the epidemic has ended ...

...then please...scroll on by."

. . .

:default_fishing:

'nough said tonight.

Comprehended it ok..... that is just a usual rider that you put into your cut and paste scaremongering articles when others point out what you are doing..

cheers 

14 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Now, now, you're frightening the children...

You do not have to be scared...it is only the usual articles with the words of....may have.....could have...may cause....etc...etc.

cheers

49 minutes ago, roobob said:

Comprehended it ok..... that is just a usual rider that you put into your cut and paste scaremongering articles when others point out what you are doing..

cheers 

tsk tsk... National Geographic not your cuppa tea..? :default_coffee:

Are you scaremonger'd boobie? :default_bitenails:

I'm not. I'm Moderna vax'ed and boosted, wear a mask in small crowded shops, and heed my local medical experts' advice. Or...

...better off trusting asides written by an anonymous tinker in backwater SEA?

hmmm... 

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, roobob said:

You do not have to be scared...it is only the usual articles with the words of....may have.....could have...may cause....etc...etc.

cheers

I'm not scared. It's only you who seem to find posts identifying new variants as scary.

PS. You forgot your normal "glorified teachers touting for grants" pejorative.

• Thumbs Up 1

When Covid first arrived, most of the world got caught out by not reacting fast enough and not realising how, quickly the virus could spread around the world or how seriously it could effect us. 

These days, 2 years on, and a lot of suffering both in physical and economic terms, scientists have a better understanding of the virus and its variants as well as rapid development, manufacture and roll out of vaccines. Testing has given us better data for the purposes of opening up societies again. 

Whilst situations are improving in many countries across the globe, I think it would be foolish, not to keep an eye on both how the virus behaves, in future. 

Should more deadly strains emerge, then perhaps we will be equipped for the future,since we know that Covid in one form or another will not go away completely  for some time if ever. On going research is surely part of "living with Covid" 

I recall when the Delta strain first emerged, there were many who claimed that it would go away in a few months and not to panic. That quickly turned out not to be the case. 

My view is, the more that scientist and experts know about the virus, the better equipped we might be for the future and it will have a bearing on any future Vaccines that may work on all strings of Covid, should there be any further Pandemic. 

I don't think it's a question of scaremongering. If governments task scientists to continue their research then it is for a reason. The more that is known about the Virus group, surely the better. There could be the possibility of yet a more serious strain of Covid and future waves of infection. We don't know. 

For now the present is looking quite rosey, long may that be the case. We have the threat of WW3 to be anxious about now 😊

I think that it's not a question of being scared, but being cautious, in terms of continuing to keep lid on Covid as we gradually get back to a sense of normality. 

I think we should rejoice that there are vaccines and that actions were taken when needed. It could have been a whole lot worse. 

It's worth keeping an eye on what's happening in North Korea, an isolated country who, so far have refused help from other countries and thought that Covid would not come their way. 

I don't see any harm in scientists releasing research data to the PUBLIC and continue to study the Virus and its behaviour. After all, it changed the world in just months. 

I rather that, than pack their bags and walk away as if it were completely over. That's not how it works. 

Science never stands still and constantly looking at new ways to fight a great number diseases and conditions that plague the human race, such as Cancer, Parkinsons, dementia and Malaria, just to mention a few. 

I dont see much benefit in arguing the toss over Covid unless we are experts, and we are not. We all have access to the same information, it's just the way we personally choose to interpret it. 

I have recently developed a taste for bananas, perhaps I have Monkey Pox 😁😁😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

^^^^^^^^^^^

Makes a great deal of sense, and for once I'm not going to edit your post with suggestive homosexually orientated comments 🙂

Science has learned a great deal from the pandemic over the last 2 years and has made some pretty impressive strides, not least in the field of vaccine development and also how effective measures are in containing a virus. Now that the data is getting analysed and correlated, we're seeing trends emerging and interesting facts coming out, some which go against the thinking at the time (Sweden's refusal to enforce heavy lockdowns for example were not as bad as many thought).

It has also had an indirectly beneficial effect in the cleanliness of our Hospitals, however that has come at a cost which has been discussed elsewhere when it comes to people not getting treated for their illness (not covid) and sadly dying as a result, missed cancer diagnosis and other tragic events.

The NHS has an entire team dedicated to correlating and analysing data gleaned from all trusts during the lockdown etc and while it makes somewhat depressing reading, it has led to changes in policy and other revisions and will continue to do so.

On reflection, getting a vaccination program in place relatively quickly and getting the numbers vaxxed was nothing short of incredible. Educating people and getting them to take notice was also very successful.

However, without going all tin foil hat, the biggest learners from all of this are the respective Governments and how they can enforce somewhat draconian measures and how the public will react to them. The level of control they can exert and the level of compliance they can expect from the public.

Compliance for face masks, distancing and respecting everyone else around you was quite heartwarming. People took the time and effort to distance, apologising when they didn't or forgot to. In my case, I forgot my mask going into Tesco's, the Security guard called his mate out to bring me a few for nothing, none of this Gestapo style intimidation, just a bloke being nice to me and thinking of others as well, but instead of refusing me entry and telling me to go home and get one, (which he had every right to) he didn't.

But it was a disparity between "guidance" and "law" which also meant that some interpreted things incorrectly. Even the Police got it wrong, more than once which is worrying. We also saw 2 different examples of Police attitude, one towards BLM protestors and the opposite towards those holding a vigil for Sarah Everard. Utter failings on both counts, and a rather disturbing insight into how the Met operate.

However, there is a darker side which I've mentioned before.

Even now, the apparent "forgiveness" of the corrupt methods and awarding of contracts, the nepotism and flunky's all getting a chunk of the colossal amount of cash that was spent. The crime, the sheer bare faced theft of billions by people who  have no intention of giving any of it back, the cronyism and sheer hypocrisy will, hopefully one day come to light and those responsible , held to account. People working during furlough, claiming cash for businesses which were created then closed weeks after they got the money, right up to MP's friends and relatives awarded contracts for supplying medical gear which they had zero experience of before.

Yep, lessons have been learned alright, the hardest lessons by people like us.

Anyone wanna buy some toilet rolls?.

Edited by Butch

12 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Am i the only one that hopes this thread gets deleted soon,maybe in a month or 2.

Rather than deleted, the topic becomes no longer topical and the only posts we see in the future are "remember when". :default_gathering:

Think it'll be longer than a month or two before we get to that point. Perhaps by end of the year when we've had a few months of no restrictions under our belt.

But then again it appears the Thai govt is ramping up for the next mass hysteria event...

New centre to monitor monkeypox

The Public Health Ministry has set up an emergency operations centre to monitor the spread of the monkeypox virus, which has caused over 100 confirmed cases in at least 12 countries to date.

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the centre will keep a close watch on the progress of the outbreak, despite the fact the virus has yet to be detected in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Rather than deleted, the topic becomes no longer topical and the only posts we see in the future are "remember when". :default_gathering:

Think it'll be longer than a month or two before we get to that point. Perhaps by end of the year when we've had a few months of no restrictions under our belt.

But then again it appears the Thai govt is ramping up for the next mass hysteria event...

New centre to monitor monkeypox

The Public Health Ministry has set up an emergency operations centre to monitor the spread of the monkeypox virus, which has caused over 100 confirmed cases in at least 12 countries to date.

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the centre will keep a close watch on the progress of the outbreak, despite the fact the virus has yet to be detected in Thailand.

Hysteria indeed,around since the 70s with a yearly average of 13000 cases a year in africa a quick search revealed.Hope no major over reaction from those in power.

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Aerosol particle emission increases exponentially above moderate exercise intensity resulting in superemission during maximal exercise

Significance

Airborne transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) or other pathogens is probably increased during indoor exercise, but data on the emission of aerosol particles by an exercising individual are lacking. Here, we report that aerosol particle emission increases on average 132-fold from 580 ± 489 particles/min at rest to 76,200 ± 48,000 particles/min during maximal exercise. Aerosol particle emission increases moderately up to an exercise intensity of ≈2 W/kg and exponentially at higher exercise intensities. These data not only explain SARS-CoV-2 transmissions during indoor group exercise but also can be used to design better targeted mitigation measures for physical activity indoors such as physical education in school, dance events during weddings, or high-intensity gym classes such as spinning.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2202521119

• Great Info 1

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

Have to agree with Roobob here, common sense would have told you the above, hardly needed a study or whatever it is ...

What I got out of the study is they quantified the amount of aerosols emitted during exercise. With that info they can "design better targeted mitigation measures for physical activity indoors".

Edited by forcebwithu
grammar

20 hours ago, fforest said:

This thread is very helpful for sheep spotting....

Baaa... 🐑

In my area Covid's still around. The mask comes on when needed. In theory there's better care available now with all the vaccines, meds, etc. Seems some still get it bad....mostly middle-age+ fat guys.

My kid only has a few more days of school left for the term. She's 'at risk' going to school w/asthma. Fortunately, all our planned summer activities are outdoors.

. . .

sorce: https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/COVID-in-California-S-F-schools-report-most-17202193.php

A different picture in S.F. from last Memorial Day weekend
As the latest coronavirus wave continues to swell in the Bay Area, daily COVID-19 cases in San Francisco are substantially higher than a year ago on Memorial Day weekend. The city, an international travel and tourist destination, reported a seven-day rolling average of about 507 new daily cases on Friday, compared with just 13 the same day a year ago during the lull between the rollout of vaccines and the summer delta surge. San Francisco’s coronavirus test positive rate at that time was 0.5%, compared to 11.5% today. Health officials urged residents to get tested, vaccinated and boosted, but stopped short of reinstating any pandemicn mitigation mandates ahead of the holiday.

S.F. schools report most COVID cases since January
San Francisco public school students and staff reported 472 COVID-19 cases last week, up from 320 in the previous week. That figure matches numbers reported at schools in the first and last week of January during the winter omicron surge. It marks an eight-fold increase in cases at schools since the San Francisco Unified School District dropped its mask mandate in April — a reflection of the uptick in community spread across the city, which is one of the nation’s COVID-19 hotspots. San Francisco’s coronavirus positive test rate reached 11.7% on Thursday, nearly twice California’s overall rate of 6.6%. SFUSD has reported 7,421 cumulative cases in its 2022 spring semester, among about 62,800 students and staff members. The academic year ends June 1.

. . .

SF COVID-19 data and reports
...including cases, tests, hospitalizations, and vaccines.

https://sf.gov/resource/2021/covid-19-data-and-reports

From the US...

Older adults lost battle to COVID at higher rates this winter than last year

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/COVID-in-California-Latest-updates-and-new-17207312.php

Older Americans lost their lives to COVID-19 during the winter omicron surge at much higher rates than they did last year, despite their strong vaccination levels, analysis by the New York Times shows. Having been in the first groups to receive shots and boosters, older adults were further from the initial protection of their shots as the omicron variant arrived with its ability to skirt immune defenses. Almost as many Americans 65 and older died in four months of the omicron surge as did in six months of the delta variant, which overall tended to cause more severe illness. Older people still account for an overwhelming share of COVID deaths.

. . .

During the Omicron Wave, Death Rates Soared for Older People
Last year, people 65 and older died from Covid at lower rates than in previous waves. But with Omicron and waning immunity, death rates rose again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/31/health/omicron-deaths-age-65-elderly.html

On 5/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, lazarus said:

Baaa... 🐑

In my area Covid's still around. The mask comes on when needed. In theory there's better care available now with all the vaccines, meds, etc. Seems some still get it bad....mostly middle-age+ fat guys.

My kid only has a few more days of school left for the term. She's 'at risk' going to school w/asthma. Fortunately, all our planned summer activities are outdoors.

. . .

sorce: https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/COVID-in-California-S-F-schools-report-most-17202193.php

A different picture in S.F. from last Memorial Day weekend
As the latest coronavirus wave continues to swell in the Bay Area, daily COVID-19 cases in San Francisco are substantially higher than a year ago on Memorial Day weekend. The city, an international travel and tourist destination, reported a seven-day rolling average of about 507 new daily cases on Friday, compared with just 13 the same day a year ago during the lull between the rollout of vaccines and the summer delta surge. San Francisco’s coronavirus test positive rate at that time was 0.5%, compared to 11.5% today. Health officials urged residents to get tested, vaccinated and boosted, but stopped short of reinstating any pandemicn mitigation mandates ahead of the holiday.

S.F. schools report most COVID cases since January
San Francisco public school students and staff reported 472 COVID-19 cases last week, up from 320 in the previous week. That figure matches numbers reported at schools in the first and last week of January during the winter omicron surge. It marks an eight-fold increase in cases at schools since the San Francisco Unified School District dropped its mask mandate in April — a reflection of the uptick in community spread across the city, which is one of the nation’s COVID-19 hotspots. San Francisco’s coronavirus positive test rate reached 11.7% on Thursday, nearly twice California’s overall rate of 6.6%. SFUSD has reported 7,421 cumulative cases in its 2022 spring semester, among about 62,800 students and staff members. The academic year ends June 1.

. . .

SF COVID-19 data and reports
...including cases, tests, hospitalizations, and vaccines.

https://sf.gov/resource/2021/covid-19-data-and-reports

My 10 year old Grandson has had Covid twice and most of his mates he plays football with have all had it at least once.

The last time he and five of his friends went to watch the Hearts in Edinburgh. During the following week three of them went down with Covid. None of them had symptoms above those which might be expected with a cold with a cough.

There is precious little any of us can do to avoid catching covid it is endemic now. That seems to be patently obvious.

The only answer is regular vaccination boosters and hope that will reduce the adverse symptoms when we get infected.

I finally tested negative this morning. That was 12 days since my first positive test. 🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There is precious little any of us can do to avoid catching covid it is endemic now. That seems to be patently obvious.

Personal responsibility goes a long way to helping stop the spread of Covid and other ailments.

Most people I know haven't contracted Covid. Some have and were very ill, others had mild cases. However, I don't think it's a 'given' that everyone will eventually get it.

Too much is still unknown about Covid to just assume it's another 'bug' that one might/will catch without potentially serious ramifications, especially for older folks with pre-existing conditions.

. . .

You Are Going to Get COVID Again … And Again … And Again
Will the danger mount each time, or will it fade away?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/05/covid-reinfection-research-immunity/639436/

...SARS-CoV-2 may yet become another common-cold coronavirus, no more likely to screw with its hosts the fifth time it infects them than the first. But that’s no guarantee. The outlooks of the experts I spoke with spanned the range from optimism to pessimism, though all agreed that uncertainty loomed. Until we know more, none were keen to gamble with the virus—or with their own health. Any reinfection will likely still pose a threat, “even if it’s not the worst-case scenario,” Abdool Karim told me. “I wouldn’t want to put myself in that position.”

Edited by lazarus