COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

17 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Embracing is a rather strong word for what is basically facing the inevitable. 

We're a realistic and resilient bunch, so rather than upholding the idea we can somehow nip this in the butt, our PM quite openly shared that many of us will catch it and most will survive, but we need to minimize the spread via what is pretty much a social lockdown as to not overload our healthcare facilities. We've already got 100 people in ICU and that number will continue to increase exponentially unless we do what we're doing. 

Seems pretty straightforward to me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

France is not the question...

Why dont you simply answer the question with a valid argument ? FFS  !

• If one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days    => You think people living in a small flat will stay in for 2 weeks. So at the end you  have the whole family contiminated ?
  • Those people should, if possible, avoid leaving the house "even to buy food or essentials" - but they may leave the house "for exercise and, in that case, at a safe distance from others"    => dont go buy food or essentials ? 

Fucking panic it is. Nothing to do with the country ! 

•  

justified "panic" for the at risk groups ..which makes them rational..as opposed to your take on it 

The issue is , if we get 100,000 acutely severely ill in the next few months it will completely block ICU...so you have your heart attack,stent,abdominal cancer operation(cancelled)  or coronary bypass(cancelled),acute aneurysm rupture or  Severe RTA ..sorry..no bed for you...just go park up behind that lot in the corridor

Edited by Ivan the terrible

3 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

justified "panic" for the at risk groups ..which makes them rational..as opposed to your take on it 

Be alert, not alarmed. Be prepared. not panicked.

Mind you, he might have gone native.

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has admitted that he was deliberately holding back some information on COVID-19 cases to prevent the public from panicking. 

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/13/we-dont-want-people-to-panic-jokowi-says-on-lack-of-transparency-about-covid-cases.html

logo.JPG.ea946d7c0d47d644d499dee18ad31c77.JPG

is a travel-advice Web site (https://www.smartraveller.gov.au)  provided by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. It has a great deal of information about travel during the COVID-19 pandemic that's useful for everyone, not just Australians.  The site is easy to use  and updated frequently.  It's the best national government travel site I've seen.

One example from the site, about France:

France.JPG.9c15c2e7e05cea2f9dce30fca81cb

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

20 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

logo.JPG.ea946d7c0d47d644d499dee18ad31c77.JPG

is a travel-advice Web site (https://www.smartraveller.gov.au)  provided by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. It has a great deal of information about travel during the COVID-19 pandemic that's useful for everyone, not just Australians.  The site is easy to use  and updated frequently.  It's the best national government travel site I've seen.

One example from the site, about France:

France.JPG.9c15c2e7e05cea2f9dce30fca81cb

Evil

malaysia too as of midnight.  border crossings are murder right now.  

i thought the frogs didnt think it was more than a cold 😉

40 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Be alert, not alarmed. Be prepared. not panicked.

Mind you, he might have gone native.

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has admitted that he was deliberately holding back some information on COVID-19 cases to prevent the public from panicking. 

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/13/we-dont-want-people-to-panic-jokowi-says-on-lack-of-transparency-about-covid-cases.html

Most government, if not all are withholding information on many things.

Anybody who believes different is dreaming.....

AND BTW, YOUR ANSWER IS SUPPOSED TO CONCERN THE SUBJECT, NOT THE POSTER. READ THE FUCKING BOARD RULES.

I know its not written in Australian, but do an effort.

Edited by Thai Spice

12 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Most government, if not all are withholding information on many things.

Anybody who believes different is dreaming.....

AND BTW, YOUR ANSWER IS SUPPOSED TO CONCERN THE SUBJECT, NOT THE POSTER. READ THE FUCKING BOARD RULES.

I know its not written in Australian, but do an effort.

First you were complaining that governments (and their officials) were revealing too much.

Now you reckon they're all hiding things.

You are a funny person.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, fygjam said:

First you were complaining that governments (and their officials) were revealing too much.

Now you reckon they're all hiding things.

You are a funny person.

They are witholding info, and generally rigthly as the masses are not mature enough .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You need to calm down @Thai Spice.

The only one I see panicking and getting wound up is you, ironically enough!

No mate. 

I dont give a shit about the virus. But I give a lot of importance on people trying to encroach on my liberty. 

See this picture ? The French government can be proud ! Even the Germans during the occupation of France did not succeed to do this !

Breaking, demolishing social cohesion.  

cover-r4x3w1000-5e70a3d67c1ba-oberkampf-queue-magasins.jpg

Edit

we have hordes of Parisian fleeing the capital to find refuge in the provinces. Like in 39.....  

of course only the rich ones. The poor they stay packed in their shit government flats, and packed like sardines in the subway to work.

😭😭😭😭😢😢😢

Edited by Thai Spice

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

malaysia too as of midnight.

Malaysia is a funny one.  I was supposed to be flying there today, arriving tomorrow after the ban kicks in going by the announcements.  I changed my flight based on this but the airline would still take me there as their official system (from IATA) say it's OK.  Just checked this from the Emirates girls here before posting.

Malaysian government announcements may be just as reliable as Thai ones based on this.

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

malaysia too as of midnight.  border crossings are murder right now.  

Thai-Malaysian checkpoint packed with travellers before border closure at midnight

Mar 17. 2020
800_d7afc65fb35931c.jpg?v=1584435187

By THE NATION  

More than a hundred trailer trucks and other vehicles lined up in a queue stretching over a kilometre at Sadao immigration checkpoint in Songkhla next to Malaysia’s Bukit Kayu Hitam checkpoint, causing a traffic jam as people rushed to cross the border to their destinations before Malaysia closes all its border checkpoints at midnight on March 17.

within the next few days, Australia is going to implement a complete lockdown. Bars, Restaurants and cafes closed. universities, schools, most work places. closed.

14 days at this stage. I may be wrong, I may be right. someones wife is an RN and all is not as it seems.

• Like 3

Getting creative to tackle sanitizer shortage

As the virus outbreak spreads across Europe, many companies are retooling production to combat a shortage of hand sanitizers. Spirits maker Pernod Ricard said it will supply alcohol to producers, luxury goods group LVMH is altering perfume lines to produce sanitizing gel, while Poland's biggest oil group Orlen is making the ingredient at a plant that normally manufactures windshield wiper fluid. Britain has also asked Ford , Honda and Rolls-Royce to help make health equipment including ventilators to cope with COVID-19.

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Getting creative to tackle sanitizer shortage

As the virus outbreak spreads across Europe, many companies are retooling production to combat a shortage of hand sanitizers. Spirits maker Pernod Ricard said it will supply alcohol to producers, luxury goods group LVMH is altering perfume lines to produce sanitizing gel, while Poland's biggest oil group Orlen is making the ingredient at a plant that normally manufactures windshield wiper fluid. Britain has also asked Ford , Honda and Rolls-Royce to help make health equipment including ventilators to cope with COVID-19.

FFS.

Either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol is the main active ingredient in hand sanitizer.

in 2017 the world wide production of ethanol was about 27 billion gallons (I guess US gallons) for the biofuel market with the US and Brazil producing about 85% of that.

In 2018 the US alone produced 520,000 metric tonnes of isopropyl alcohol.

I suspect that there's more than sufficient of either for hand sanitizers.

8 minutes ago, fygjam said:

FFS.

Either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol is the main active ingredient in hand sanitizer.

in 2017 the world wide production of ethanol was about 27 billion gallons (I guess US gallons) for the biofuel market with the US and Brazil producing about 85% of that.

In 2018 the US alone produced 520,000 metric tonnes of isopropyl alcohol.

I suspect that there's more than sufficient of either for hand sanitizers.

the korean so-chu makers have been giving it away to help with the spread of the virus

South Korean soju makers have responded to soaring ethanol demand for sanitisers by donating the alcohol that goes into the drink, a distilled spirit with 17 per cent to 20 per cent alcohol by volume traditionally based on rice, but now often wheat or potatoes.

"Ethanol demand for disinfection has grown while supply is limited...we have decided to provide it," an official of Daesun Distilling, based in the southeastern city of Busan.

To banish the virus, the company has pledged to donate 32 tonnes of ethanol for use in disinfecting buildings and public places in Busan and southeastern Daegu, the city at the centre of South Korea's outbreak.

Another video from the Medcram series.

It deals with the ACE-2 receptor (on lung cells) which is how the SARS-CoV-2 virus infects cells.

Of interest if you're on either ACE Inhibitors or ARB hypertension medications.

One school of thought says ya gunna die!

The other says they (the medications) will save your lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZDVbqRhyM

Some people don't like embedded videos so you'll have to follow the link.

18 minutes ago, wakarani said:

the korean so-chu makers have been giving it away to help with the spread of the virus

South Korean soju makers have responded to soaring ethanol demand for sanitisers by donating the alcohol that goes into the drink, a distilled spirit with 17 per cent to 20 per cent alcohol by volume traditionally based on rice, but now often wheat or potatoes.

"Ethanol demand for disinfection has grown while supply is limited...we have decided to provide it," an official of Daesun Distilling, based in the southeastern city of Busan.

To banish the virus, the company has pledged to donate 32 tonnes of ethanol for use in disinfecting buildings and public places in Busan and southeastern Daegu, the city at the centre of South Korea's outbreak.

By my calculations, 27 billion (US) gallons is about 80 million tonnes.

Years ago methylated spirits used to be 90% ethanol with 10% methanol added to discourage drinking it.

I checked the SDS for Diggers methylated spirits, sold in Bunnings, it is 95% ethanol and 5% demineralised water.

Guess what is outa stock in all Bunnings stores, they had shit loads a month ago (along with dust masks).

Edited by fygjam

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

No mate. 

I dont give a shit about the virus. But I give a lot of importance on people trying to encroach on my liberty. 

See this picture ? The French government can be proud ! Even the Germans during the occupation of France did not succeed to do this !

Breaking, demolishing social cohesion.  

cover-r4x3w1000-5e70a3d67c1ba-oberkampf-queue-magasins.jpg

Edit

we have hordes of Parisian fleeing the capital to find refuge in the provinces. Like in 39.....  

of course only the rich ones. The poor they stay packed in their shit government flats, and packed like sardines in the subway to work.

😭😭😭😭😢😢😢

If I were french I'd be more concerned about sub Saharan Africans rampaging through the city torching cars, historic buildings and assaulting firemen. This virus will pass but the Africans and Arabs that have destroyed a once great nation are going nowhere.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 1

The Australian Government's Smartraveller Web site states (my highlight): "The Philippines has implement enhanced community quarantine (lockdown) for Luzon Island including Metro Manila until 14 April 2020 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Only essential movement is permitted. From midnight 20 March 2020, Manila and Clark international airports will cease operations for the duration of the quarantine period. You should book travel immediately."

The notice from the U.S. Embassy in Manila states:  "Philippine authorities have indicated that international travel will be restricted, and foreign passport holders who wish to depart the country must do so before midnight on Thursday, March 19.  Inbound passengers may be subjected to quarantine measures.  This information is subject to change:  check with your airline.

Both notices are dated March 17, 2020.

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

If I were french I'd be more concerned about sub Saharan Africans rampaging through the city torching cars, historic buildings and assaulting firemen. This virus will pass but the Africans and Arabs that have destroyed a once great nation are going nowhere.

There is a much bigger danger than that for whole Europe (without borders) .

Simply look up which continents population will explode in the coming decades...

But this has nothing to do on here. Same as you answer. Completely different subject.