COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

I suspect that there's more than sufficient of either for hand sanitizers.

Yes, there's no shortage of ingredients for hand sanitizer; it's production capacity that is lacking.  However, it's relatively easy for makers of similar products to retool or for distillers to convert to making hand sanitizer. 

It's much more difficult when it comes to medical masks or ventilators because they require much more complicated and expensive machines and manufacturing facilities, plus they have to pass strict federal standards in the U.S.  I heard on TV that under the best circumstances, it would take one  month to add medical mask machinery to an existing factory, assuming the government provided all the funding to buy the machines. 

Distilleries using high-proof alcohol to make hand sanitizer

"The right thing to do is support this community by providing something that is in desperate need," one distillery owner said.

Image: Chad Butters, founder of Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, poses for a photo at their facility in New Tripoli

Chad Butters, founder of Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, at the company's facility in New Tripoli, Pa., on Monday. Matt Rourke / AP

By The Associated Press

NEW TRIPOLI, Pa. — A Pennsylvania distillery owner who grew increasingly angry as he saw the skyrocketing price of hand sanitizer has decided to do something about it: He’s temporarily converting his operation into a production line for the suddenly hard-to-find, gooey, alcohol-based disinfectant.

Eight Oaks Farm Distillery filled its first 20 bottles on Monday, a batch destined for charitable groups that need hand sanitizer but haven’t been able to get it due to the coronavirus pandemic. The family-owned distillery plans to dramatically boost production this week and distribute the bottles to charities as well as offer them at farmers’ markets where it sells its spirits and through its website.

The price: whatever people decide to donate.

“We are in a national emergency,” said brewery founder Chad Butters. “What’s the right thing to do? The right thing to do is support this community by providing something that is in desperate need. We’ll flood the valley with hand sanitizer and drive that price right down.”

Other distilleries are also putting their spirits to work to help fill the shortage of hand sanitizers. Green Mountain Distillers in Morrisville, Vermont, is giving away a hand sanitizing solution and Durham Distillery in Durham, North Carolina, is donating one to hospitality colleagues, using high-proof alcohol and other ingredients. Patrons must bring their own containers.

“We wanted to do something that would be as positive as possible,” said Harold Faircloth, an owner of Green Mountain Distillers.

tdy_health_sanders_sanitizer_200310_1920

Smugglers’ Notch Distillery, also in Vermont, plans to launch a hand sanitizer later this week at its Waterbury and Jeffersonville sites. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Vermont’s efforts to respond to the virus outbreak.

“I know I have a unique opportunity to help out a little bit and keep my staff employed,” said co-owner Jeremy Elliott, who said 40% of his business comes from bars and restaurants, which are closing in some parts of the country.

The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, a trade group, has been in touch with federal regulatory agencies as well as the Trump administration's coronavirus task force to clear red tape and “make sure we can be quick and nimble and fill a need in the marketplace,” said Chief Executive Officer Chris Swonger. “We all want to do our part.”

Swonger said government agencies have been very receptive.

At Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, about 70 miles (115 kilometers) north of Philadelphia, workers experimented with high-proof alcohol, aloe and glycerine to get just the right consistency. The recipe is based on one published by the World Health Organization.

As word got out about what Eight Oaks was up to, the distillery began hearing from people and groups in need, including a pediatric cancer organization and a woman whose 12-year-old son has heart disease and was desperate for hand sanitizer to help keep him safe.

“I cannot find it anywhere and this virus is especially dangerous to him,” she wrote to the distillery.

Stories like that are why Butters was so disgusted with price gougers who were selling sanitizer online for more than $300 an ounce — and why he decided to shift his company’s focus.

“We’re trying to make sure we continue to provide a paycheck for our employees and support our community however way we can do that,” he said.

For most people, the new virus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death. The vast majority of people recover.

Beyond the humanitarian impulses of individual distillers, the liquor industry also has a vested interest in seeing the virus threat dissipate quickly, given its economic reliance on bars, restaurants and other hospitality and entertainment venues that have been shuttered by the outbreak.

Brad Plummer, spokesman for the American Distilling Institute and editor of Distiller Magazine, said he’s been seeing a lot of talk among distillers interested in converting part of their operations to hand sanitizer.

“The hospitality industry is going to be decimated by this and they are our primary clients. We’re looking for ways to help in the response to this, but also to find other ways to look for revenue streams,” he said.

Cuomo’s Fix for Sanitizer Shortage: 100,000 Gallons Made by Prisoners

After unveiling the new hand sanitizer, the governor was criticized by several criminal justice reform groups for using prison labor.

Read the rest of The New York Times' story here.  I think it is a good initiative by Cuomo.  Give non-violent offenders, guys who are in for credit-card fraud and similar, special privileges or even time-served for making hand sanitizer.

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hand sanitizers....the new fashion since SARS....

Cant remember ever having used any in the past 10 years...

Never had it at home, still dont.

I mean, we wash our hands with normal soap and I can't see any differences.

And I am still not dead.

Yep, when I was doing dirty mechanic work I used hydraulic oil, white spirit, or that very granular soap harsh like sand paper... or liquid soap. Dishwashing product is also pretty efficient.

3 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

People who are out and about often don't have access to a faucet and sink. Even if they find public toilets, those places are breeding grounds for all sorts of germs and viruses.  After washing your hands, you can still pick up something nasty from touching the door on the way out.  A squirt of hand sanitizer from a small bottle solves the problem.

Moreover, a lot of people don't wash their hands properly.  Hand sanitizers kill bacteria and viruses on contact.  And you can use it to disinfect surfaces like the handles of shopping carts in stores. Using hand sanitizer is a small but effective step in stopping the transmission of disease.  Studies have shown it to be very effective in hospital settings.

Evil

14 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

And I am still not dead.

Yep, when I was doing dirty mechanic work I used hydraulic oil, white spirit, or that very granular soap harsh like sand paper... or liquid soap. Dishwashing product is also pretty efficient.

Spread a bit on the shit tickets if the farmers are playing up.

OK so officially we are in "shelter in place" here in the Bay Area, all cities from San Francisco down to San Jose where I live. 15 days they say, my gym closed last night at midnight, this is going to be tough on me as I just really like working out...and getting out of the house as neither I or my wife are the "sit around the house type" with a phone in our face or a laptop or watching TV all day. Have a few " free weights" at home, but just not the same. Running at the High School will continue for both of us. 

Restaurants, bars, malls, Ice Cream Parlors, schools/colleges, are all now closed.....at least that is what we are being told. I will go out today and see if locals are adhering to these new guidelines. Doctors, ER places, Pharmacies,  Hospitals, Home Depot ( Home Pro) Grocery Stores etc.etc. are still open with no restrictions and some are giving special hours at the Grocery Stores to 65 and older, to come in earlier and they will check ID's. 

Waiting to hear about some "events" I had tickets for to be told they are cancelled. No word yet....our local pro Soccer team on April 11th and the " Journey" concert May 27th I think will both be cancelled. 

Have reservations at Yosemite National Park for the first week in June, I am thinking we for sure will go to this and be up in the mountains, unless there is a catastrophic spread of this, but hopefully by then, at least in that area they should be OK.

Locally as of this morning we had 138 of people who have tested positive in our county and only 4 deaths......

• Like 1

From The Jakarta Post (my highlights):

COVID-19: Indonesia suspends visa-free policy, expands ban for people from worst-hit countries

Indonesia is set to suspend its visa exemption policy for all countries for one month and expand restrictions for people with a history of travel to some of the world's countries hardest hit by the coronavirus in its efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the archipelago.

The temporary suspension, which includes exemption for short-stay visits, visa-on-arrival and diplomatic visa-free facilities, and the new travel restrictions will all come into effect on Friday, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.

The new policies came into force in view of the increased global spread of the coronavirus, which according to the World Health Organization (WHO) had reached 152 countries as of Monday.

The Foreign Ministry said that “all foreigners or travelers who wish to visit Indonesia must obtain a visa from Indonesian missions in accordance with the purpose of their visit” and that “upon application, applicants must provide a health certificate issued by a relevant health authority from their respective countries”.

“All visitors or travelers must complete and submit a health alert certificate to the Health Quarantine Office upon arrival at Indonesian airports,” the ministry said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

The temporary travel ban, meanwhile, will bar people who have traveled to Iran, Italy, the Vatican, Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland and the United Kingdom in the last 14 days from entering or transiting in Indonesia.

At the same time, Indonesia maintained travel restrictions for those with a history of travel to China -- the country in which the coronavirus first emerged -- as well South Korea's hardest-hit regions of Daegu and Gyeongsangbuk-do.

The nations on the list are among countries with the most confirmed COVID-19 cases in the world, according to data compiled by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

The policy will enter into force at midnight on Friday and will continue to be evaluated in accordance with global developments, the ministry said.

As of Tuesday, Indonesia has recorded 172 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with five cases that turned fatal, according to the government.

The ministry added that extensions of short visit passes for foreign travelers who are currently in Indonesia and have expired, as well as extensions of temporary stay permits (KITAS), permanent stay permits (KITAP), diplomatic visas and service visas held by people who are currently overseas and that will expire, shall be conducted in accordance with Law and Human Rights Ministerial Regulation No. 7/2020.

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

15 days they say, my gym closed last night at midnight, this is going to be tough on me as I just really like working out...and getting out of the house as neither I or my wife are the "sit around the house type" with a phone in our face or a laptop or watching TV all day. Have a few " free weights" at home, but just not the same. Running at the High School will continue for both of us. 

Why not buy a couple of kettlebells- use them on the infield at the running track? 

32 minutes ago, Krapow said:

It has it's up side, loads of new disenfecting stuff at the gym, which was half empty! 

IMAG1472.jpg

IMAG1471.jpg

Nice colours do they make you lift like a bird? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Make your own handsanitiser

In a measuring cup mix
40 ml peroxide 3%
15 ml glycerine
105 ml demineralised water

stir and pour into an 1 litre bottle
Fill the bottle with ethanol 93%

If you are to use isopropylalcohol 99% then use 185 ml of demineraliced water instead of 105ml, otherwise same recipe.

• Like 1

Live updates: Stringent measures spread across U.S. as coronavirus death toll reaches 100

From The Washington Post (my highlight):

Coronavirus has killed from coast to coast. It devastated a nursing home in Washington state and crept into the heartland. Across the United States, at least 100 people infected with the highly contagious new virus have now died — a toll that experts expect to rise quickly.

This country’s first fatal cases offer a preview of the challenges ahead, as Americans battle a disease that has killed thousands of people worldwide. The Washington Post has tracked every known U.S. death and has analyzed data provided by state and local health officials, families of the victims and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Of the first 100 reported fatalities, many people appear to have had underlying health conditions, making it harder for their bodies to fight off covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Some had diabetes, kidney failure, hypertension or pulmonary ailments.

Nearly all — about 85 percent — were older than 60, and about 45 percent were older than 80. It’s unclear how some of them contracted the disease, but more than a third were living in residential care facilities when they became ill.

What is known about the scale of transmission and the high number of deaths among vulnerable populations — as at the Life Care Center of Kirkland in Washington state, where 27 of the facility’s 120 residents have died — have experts deeply concerned.

“I see that as the ‘canary in a coal mine’ situation,” said Fred Buckner, an attending physician at the University of Washington Medical Center. “I suspect it’s going to be taking off in other locations just like it is in the Seattle area. There’s no reason not to think that. Obviously, that means more deaths.”

The Australian government has just bumped its travel warning to the highest level  (my highlight).

What we recommend
18 March 2020:

We now advise all Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. This is our highest advice level (level 4 of 4).

If you are already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means.

Regardless of your destination, age or health, our advice is do not travel at this time.

As more countries close their borders or introduce travel restrictions, overseas travel is becoming more complex and difficult. You may not be able to return to Australia when you had planned to. Consider whether you have access to health care and support systems if you get sick while overseas. If you decide to return to Australia, do so as soon as possible. Commercial options may become less available.

If you are overseas and cannot, or do not want to, return to Australia, follow the advice of local authorities. Take care to minimise your risk of exposure to coronavirus including by self-isolating. If you choose to stay, note our ability to provide consular assistance in some places may be limited due to restrictions on movement and other services.

If you decide to return to Australia, you will now be required to self-isolate for 14 days. This applies to all travellers, including Australian citizens. For details see the Australian Border Force website.

Contact your airline, travel agent or insurance company to discuss your travel plans and options for cancelling or postponing current bookings, or to arrange commercial flights back to Australia.

All cruise ships which have sailed from a foreign port have been banned from entering Australian ports for 30 days.

All of the above advice has also been provided to Australian Government staff, who have been instructed to instead use video-conferencing and other communication technologies as much as possible. 

The Foreign Minister decided on 17 March to offer voluntary departures globally for all dependants of staff at our overseas posts, staff at high risk due to underlying health conditions and staff the head of mission considers non-essential for ongoing operations.

For more information see our Coronavirus (COVID-19) – information for Australian travellers page.

For urgent consular assistance contact:

+61 2 6261 3305 from overseas 
1300 555 135 from within Australia
+61 421 269 080 from SMS
For non-urgent inquiries, email [email protected]

So, 

I have been twice at the wedding preparations and shaked about 50 hands.

The Miss spend the 2 last days there, in the middle of around 100 people

Today is the big day, everybody off to the temple, and later to the official ceremony. Probably 200 to 300 people. I dont go, nothing to do with virus but I have zero interest in this kind of event.

Little niece # 2 is coughing hard, I asked the Miss "is P sick ?". Answer, "yes 3 days already, but the doctor has given her an injection, no problem"

I shake hands with her dad every morning.

So, am I doomed ? Should I quarantine the Miss ? 

Oops, and I forgot... the magic handwash has not yet been discovered here !

😂😂😂😄😄😄😄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙈🙈🙈

Lucky us, we have good old Ahmed who is taking care of us 5 times a day, so we all live in peace and with a smile !

Just lets hope some idiot doesn't put the ferry to Bali on lockdown before tmrw !

Disclaimer : True story but take it as humour ! 

Local government had closed the access to the Gili islands 2 days ago. But no lockdown or bar, restaurant closures.

And what happens ? 

Nearly 2,000 tourists flock to Bali after West Nusa Tenggara closes access to Gili Islands

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/nearly-2000-tourists-flock-to-bali-after-west-nusa-tenggara-closes-access-to-gili-islands/

That was never the intention 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 but I guess Bali business owners will be happy !

Received an email this morning from my renter. She and her dad who have been renting my house for the past eight years have both been put on work furlough until 6 April. She was asking for extension in paying the rent which I've agreed to. They've been excellent tenants, but as single mom I know she's been on a tight budget for years. A lot of people are, or will be in her same situation. Just hope these efforts to contain the virus work quickly and we start to see a drop in new infections in a week or two at the most.

• Thumbs Up 3

Meanwhile the salespeople are giving it a try.

Email I received today

Hi

You previously contacted us about your health cover.

Today one of the most popular providers, Regency for Expats, have confirmed that their health plans will cover Coronavirus.

In addition, they have committed to providing their 40% Low Claims Discount to all new customers.

If you would like a quote on Regency for Expats health cover, please let me know...

1) The ages of any people you want to cover
  2) Your nationality
  3) The country you will be based in whilst overseas

...and I will have this sent through ASAP.

Regency for Expats covers Coronavirus: Regency for Expats have confirmed that they are providing cover for Coronavirus under the standard terms, conditions, exclusions & warranties of the policy. Members should arrange cover prior to contracting any medical condition.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Nicole

Now, with my sense of humour should I play the game and provide as info

1) 71 y

2) Chinese

3) Italy 

Hahahaha .....

• Haha 1